As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sunday Crumpet Breakfast

Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Crumpet Breakfast - Sunday - 8:45am and 9:05am

Last year several people recommended the Crumpet Shop at Pike's Place Market, about seven blocks away from the convention center (Four blocks from the Main Theater at Benaroya.) The fates conspired against me then and they were unexpectedly closed when I tried to visit. I want to make another attempt this year; this time, I called ahead and made sure they'd be open.

When:
Probable Early Bird trip lead by Steel Fire at 8:00am (smaller group, two-three probables so far)
First group 8:45 Led by CulturalGeekGirl
Second group 9:05 led by JoiletJake

Bear in mind that my group will TRY to leave exactly on time, but there's another train 20 minutes later. So if you get there at 8:47 and don't see us, DON'T PANIC. You're also free to drift down any time you want, using the map or your own senses.

Where: Meet at the corner of 6th and Pike on the steps of the Sheraton

Crumpet Breakfast Map Showing our meetup place, walk route, and main PAX locations.

If you can, let us know whether you'll be showing up at 8:45 or 9:05. The first group will try to leave at 8:45 on the dot (I had initially intended to wait a few minutes for latecomers, but if there's a second expedition it shouldn't be as much of a problem). Some of the earlier expedition will almost certainly still be on line when everyone else shows up, so you'll still get to mingle extensively, I'm sure. If you're staying closer to Pike's place feel free to meet us there, I estimate it's about a ten minute walk.

Then we'll eat some crumpets, possibly a scone or two if we're feeling adventurous. I may still call ahead and warn them. I picked 8:45am because it's not an irrational time to get up but you still may be able to make it back to the convention center to catch an earlier panel - no guarantees on that, though.

If you want to eat crumpets with some nerds, let me know here. If you're interested but would prefer a different time on Sunday feel free to post, and we'll see what we can do. I'm fine on moving it a little earlier or later, if the consensus is that would be better. Oh, and from what I gather the place is rather small, so if we get a lot of interest we may have to be adaptable.

(Note: I'm planning a scouting run on Friday morning, if I can drag myself out of bed. I'd probably aim to get to the shop at about 7:30am or so, right after it opens, so I can get back to the con center to line up at a decent hour. If anyone feels like coming on the scouting mission you are welcome, but understand that I may end up canceling the Friday jaunt if I'm exhausted that morning. If you're coming Friday, just show up there at 7:30ish.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
Cultural Geek Girl on

• GeogradGeograd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good to me! I'll drag my PR guy along too (literally if he drank too much the night before).

Geograd on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have never had crumpets, however I could be down for this.

ZeroHourHero on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I get at least one crumpet every year from this place. They also do the best orange juice I've ever had. They take a bag of refrigerated oranges and juice them in an old fashioned crank juicer, right into your glass. Totally worth the wait.

I'll be there!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh my god, I looooooove The Crumpet Shop. I will totally be there.

Kyouteki on
    edited August 2010
    I have never had crumpets, however I could be down for this.

By the way, a crumpet is like a bigger, doughier english muffin. This place tops them with all kinds of good stuff, from cream cheese and lox to nutella and ricotta cheese. They're delicious.

Arco on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been wanting to try this place for the last three years, and I'm determined to make it there this time. Crumpets are so gooooooood.

SlickShughes on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love that place. <3

Masquerade78 on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm staying at the Green Tortoise, so I could probably wake up early and stumble next door to join you guys.

lemongrenades on
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I might be down for this.

Steel Fire on
  • MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll probably check it out. I'll be at Pike Place wed/thurs morning, leading the Magical Mystery Tour, so I might head there those days.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • ginsusamuraiginsusamurai Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm down and my cohort will likely agree, so put us down for two more spots!

ginsusamurai on
  • mintyduckmintyduck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy crap, that place sounds fantastic. I am not sure if we will be moving by then, but if we are, we could be up for it!

mintyduck on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't make the dim sum but surely can do this... now to find out, are crumpets healthy? I can understand if they cause cancer <- joke (what doesn't?), but I am trying to eat SOME healthy things this coming weekend :P . Or else it's 10 ton 'o grease comin' in.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't make the dim sum but surely can do this... now to find out, are crumpets healthy? I can understand if they cause cancer <- joke (what doesn't?), but I am trying to eat SOME healthy things this coming weekend :P . Or else it's 10 ton 'o grease comin' in.

There is a breakfast place near the convention center called The Specialty's Cafe & Bakery that makes all of their own muffins/scones/fruits and such. I imagine they aren't unbelievably healthy, but they are definitely not covered in grease.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/specialtys-cafe-and-bakery-seattle

Masquerade78 on
  • basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've always wanted to try a lovely bit o' crumpet.

basicallygeek on
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ahhh depending on where my friend lives, we will show up! I've never been to her place before...never met her either lol. But I plan on being there with possibly 5 people all together!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
    edited August 2010

There is a breakfast place near the convention center called The Specialty's Cafe & Bakery that makes all of their own muffins/scones/fruits and such. I imagine they aren't unbelievably healthy, but they are definitely not covered in grease.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/specialtys-cafe-and-bakery-seattle

Excellent, I'll be sure to look dat place up... but why do I feel like a McDonalds hashbrown now?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At this point I'd be interested in seeing if there's a volunteer to lead a staggered expedition, perhaps one leaving 20-30 minutes before or after the current 8:45 start time. I'm glad there's so much interest, but just so you know there might be a bit of a wait if more than 10-15 people actually show up at the same time. Heh. I think I'll phone them tomorrow and warn them.

Then again I know at least some people will sleep through, especially if we actually leave at 8:45 on the dot. I'll post a map, and the place is not hard to find, so perhaps we will stagger ourselves effectively.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    edited August 2010
    SCREW IT!

ZERG RUSH FOR TEH CRUMPETS!!!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Then again I know at least some people will sleep through, especially if we actually leave at 8:45 on the dot. I'll post a map, and the place is not hard to find, so perhaps we will stagger ourselves effectively.

I could either go early or late if that'll make it easier, since it would be way out of the way for me to walk to Sheraton and then back to the market with you guys, anyway.

lemongrenades on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh one more thing, does anyone want to volunteer to push my crippled self at that early in the morning since I will be half awake, in return I will hold your belongings for the walk.

If not,I can wheel myself....

I just like to be lazy at a certain hour in the morning.

ZeroHourHero on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This... This sounds like win.

Imperfect on
  • MoirneMoirne Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't underestimate the power of the scone. They make them fresh, so it's not a hard or crumbly scone like 90% of the ones I've had from other places - scones are soft, tasty, and they cram fruit preserves into them.

Also they've told me if you call ahead, they will make an entire scone round just for you - that's something like 6-8 scones. Good to consider if a group of people want them, as they frequently run out of scones by midday.

...I just made myself hungry :(

Moirne on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JolietJakeJolietJake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd be willing to lead the staggered expedition at 9:05. Haven't been there before, but I have a good sense of direction and I'll be getting in town Tuesday so I should have a chance to scope the place out :-) Probably have one or two people with me too.

JolietJake on
  • GargGarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    cream cheese and lox to nutella and ricotta cheese

Sold, on those words alone.

JolietJake, I'm with you.

Beautiful overcast skies and scones. It'll be like Scotland all over again.

Garg on
    edited August 2010

I don't think I'd call them healthy, but they aren't awful, either. I mean, the crumpet itself is just a big english muffin, and if you ate it in its plainest form I don't think it would be bad. But they top them with things like cheese and nutella and stuff, so I think at that point the health factor starts going down.

On the topic of warning them: the PAX community loves this place, and they get slammed every morning at PAX. I'm sure by now they're aware of it. Most businesses in that area, especially ones that occupy a special place in our routine, stock and staff extra for the weekend.

However, I think we should decide on a day here on the forums to get the biggest group together, and maybe we could call them for that. Like, "hey, we know you guys are already busy, but 60 of us are going to be there at 9:00am on Sunday."

Also, just so everyone knows, this place is very small and does not serve food all that quickly. There's only room behind the counter for like 4 people, and they can only toast crumpets so fast. Be prepared to stand in line (gasp, lines at PAX?).

Arco on
    edited August 2010
    JolietJake wrote: »
    I'd be willing to lead the staggered expedition at 9:05. Haven't been there before, but I have a good sense of direction and I'll be getting in town Tuesday so I should have a chance to scope the place out :-) Probably have one or two people with me too.

Thanks a lot, JoiletJake. I've updated the main post with a bit more information and some confirmations. I'll try to get a map and pictures up in the next day or so. I was originally planning on waiting ten minutes or so before leaving for latecomers, but if there's a second party leaving the latecomers can join you.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ZeroHourHero, I'm planning to go to this and I can probably do some of dat pushing.

Wormdundee on
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah this place is really good. I'll be there, I don't think I'm doing anything else important early on Sunday.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This sounds good. I'll be there +1. Both times sound good for me atm. I'll post if that changes.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last year's pilgrimage.

This one is topped with cream cheese, whipped honey and raspberries.

http://twitpic.com/gbpld

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, I'm curious if there are some folks interested in going like 8:00, because 8:45 is late for me.

Steel Fire on
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Please count me in for the 8:45

adester on
    edited August 2010
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    Actually, I'm curious if there are some folks interested in going like 8:00, because 8:45 is late for me.

I've added this option to the main post, if we get two or three signups I'll add it as an official trip.

I've also added a map to the main post, in case anyone wants to make their own way.

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • linkinwisdomlinkinwisdom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    sounds amazing....i am far too excited for PAX...and foods..

linkinwisdom on
  • KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Agreed, oh man, oh man IT'S SO CLOSE :D

This place sounds amazing, I'll try to check it out first Thursday, in case we're unable to make it on Sunday morning.

KnifeySpoony on
  • linkinwisdomlinkinwisdom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This place sounds amazing, I'll try to check it out first Thursday, in case we're unable to make it on Sunday morning.

pretty stoked your from cali and wernt you and your group staying at red lion as well?

linkinwisdom on
  • HershaHersha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm down for the 8:45 group

Hersha on
  • KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

pretty stoked your from cali and wernt you and your group staying at red lion as well?

Indeed I am! Are you as well?

edit: D'oh, just checked. Neat! Well see you there.

KnifeySpoony on
  • frankeafrankea Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I'm in for going early at 8AM with Steel Fire. I'll be at the steps of the Sheraton at 7:45am.

frankea on
This discussion has been closed.