As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

1565758596062»

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every three people you need to drop out of canvas mode, leave the room, walk back in and restart the canvas mode. When he leaves the room, he could walk to the west to talk to everyone and get whatever maps they have, but they'll be around later to get the map after you get the game back.

Darian on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It still takes two actions to get my fighters back up to par (Double Up + Relevant Fource). It is true that normally my sage is just buffing and healing the party, but when things are under control it's nice to know I can dish out an extra one or two thousand damage a turn on demand. I haven't had too much trouble with bosses spamming disruptive wave on me yet, though I anticipate high level cameo bosses being little bitches about it.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Of course, what moves a given boss actually uses is so random that it can be amusing sometimes.

When I first fought the 12th Grotto boss (still searching for #11...), I was frightened when he got three actions a round. Then on one of his turns he used Disruptive Wave twice and I just sort of laughed at him while my entire team combo'd Dragon Slash on his face.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly I wouldn't reccomend bothering with metal slime hill at all. You can get to a high enough level in the bowhole that you shouldn't even need LMS anymore. And besides, LMS can easily be found in grottos, and running grottos gets you:
    a) attribeauty fan/metal spear/sword - four party members with any of these = dead pack of LMS, or 2 dead MKS
    b) grotto maps, and the possibility for metal kings instead of liquid metals (metal king is worth astoundingly more XP)
    c) every rare alchemy item you could ever want.

I put off running grottos to mess around on slime hill, and once I got a grotto with LMS I realized I was being dumb. Slime hill is garbage.

reddeath on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's far more accessible than trying to remember which specific map you need and where it is on the world map and what floor to go to and you might not even have as good a chance to find and kill them as Slime Hill anyway. In fact you probably won't - do your LMS grottos give you five at a time? I know my MKS grottos generally only have one or two of them per fight.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's a good place to grind for money? Storywise I'm suposed to go next to some place west of Wyrmwood after I gave a ghost girl something I dug up back in town. Best I found so far is the gold golems south of Gleeba.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    What's a good place to grind for money? Storywise I'm suposed to go next to some place west of Wyrmwood after I gave a ghost girl something I dug up back in town. Best I found so far is the gold golems south of Gleeba.

That's pretty much it. Be sure to take (and retake) the quest in Gleeba so that you have a random chance to earn even more money.

Honestly though, equipment doesn't matter until the endgame.. leveling tends to get you the same stat buffs for free. You don't HAVE to have the newest shiniest armor/weapons as long as you're at a decent level.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Goddammit Sellma, quit trying to offer me various species of poop and just gimme a silver platter already

I keep getting them in chests. I have like a dozen.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it seems like those dozen platters were immediately put to use under the chest

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I believe this specific round of Alchaid is only for items that world-spawn.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's far more accessible than trying to remember which specific map you need and where it is on the world map and what floor to go to and you might not even have as good a chance to find and kill them as Slime Hill anyway. In fact you probably won't - do your LMS grottos give you five at a time? I know my MKS grottos generally only have one or two of them per fight.

I spit on Five liquid metal slimes. I have different five metal king slime maps, the first one is only a level 54 and has metal kings starting on around level 10 I think. Then we have the platinum jewel kings, making liquid metal slimes even MORE ridiculous to level on.

The maps are big enough that you can do laps and I have revocated about five times off metal kings alone. My best map is seriously two steps from a sign outside dourbridge. Memorizing where my metal king grotto is located, was about as difficult as memorizing where metal slime hill is. Not hard at all.

Liquid metal slimes are intermidiate and if you've revocated even once on them you are not doing it right.

reddeath on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reddeath wrote: »

I spit on Five liquid metal slimes. I have five metal king slime maps, the first one is only a level 54 and has metal kings starting on around level 10 I think. It's big enough that you can do laps and I have revocated about five times off metal kings alone. It's seriously two steps from a sign outside dourbridge. Memorizing where your metal king grotto is, was about as difficult as memorizing where metal slime hill is. Not hard at all.

Liquid metal slimes are intermidiate and if you've revocated even once on them you are not doing it right.
    I've completed over 70 grottos and haven't even SEEN a Metal King Slime yet. Some people aren't as lucky as you?

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My brother and I both got a metal king slime map within the first day of real grotto hunting. They are not rare. Use the grotto calculator, they appear in fire or water maps.

Seriously liquid metal slimes give what, 50k? A metal king gives 200k and comes in groups up to 3. Not even comprable, time spent on slime hill would be better spent grotto hunting, some of the later grotto monsters like celestial cimeras give almost as much XP as a liquid metal slime and take about as much damage as one anyway.

But hey, if you want to farm LMS go for it. Incredible waste of time though.

reddeath on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Goddammit Sellma, quit trying to offer me various species of poop and just gimme a silver platter already

I keep getting them in chests. I have like a dozen.

That always confuses me. Who the hell put that in a chest? It's even worse when it's in a chest carried by an enemy -- or when you steal it from one of them.

On the metal-mashing debate, I'm MKS all the way but I have an unfair advantage that I've mentioned a couple of times -- a map that produces MKS exclusively* on the 11th floor. It's just on the other side of Wyrmwood Canyon and is level 58.

My battle records look like this as far as numbers killed:

Metal Slime: 207 (@4,096 xp each)
    Metal Medley: 35 (@12,288 xp each)
    Liquid Metal Slime: 104 (@40,200xp each)
    Metal King Slime: over 1000 (@120,040 xp each; the Battle Records stop counting at 999)
    Platinum King Jewel: 2 (a crazy 240,000 xp each)

My main is on his 6th revocation as Gladiator (and has revocated once as Minstrel, just to get the award; his Minstrel is sitting at 99 for grotto purposes). It's worth noting that I've revocated every class at least once, with my back-up characters getting the other 10 amongst them (and none have them have revocated a given class more than once). If I had to do that via LMS I would have given up long before the 268 hours I've put into this game already.

*On the map itself. Encounters also feature the other creatures available at that level, but are guaranteed to have at least one MKS.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nrrg. I really hope to be meeting up with some of you folks with awesome maps at PAX.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I only wish I was going to PAX myself. I have to settle for Toronto's FanExpo and I have a feeling I'll be lucky if anyone has a map with MKS making appearances, nevermind a Masayuki or different map with exclusive MKS floors.

I'm only grinding on LMS until I hit level 60 or so in the hopes of improving my odds that the next time I beat a 50+ map, it doesn't offer me a 30-40 range one again.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Odds are most people's first MKS map will be a water grotto. That's the lowest rank they can possibly spawn in. If you have a water map with king cureslimes spawning on floor 1, and 9-13 floors, you very likely have a MKS map. Or more exactly, if you have a floor with Moai minstrels (the moai statues wearing Joker makeup), then MKS's will spawn there.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm about to complete SC2's campaign so I'll finally have time for DQ again. Should I ignore quests (class and weapon skills) then and just go Grotto Hunting? I just beat my first map last week (lv 1 something something).

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Quests are a good diversion from grotto hunting if it gets old; do them as you feel led.

Darian on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've revocated on LMS many times so far. But I have a map that spawns only LMS (with only an occasional Claw or Octogoon as an add) on B9, and it's right outside Batsureg. Unless I get a Masayuki map (B15 with only Metal Slime Kings) soon, my XP over time is probably comparable to doing laps for MKS on a floor that does not exclusively spawn them. I've put in about 250 hours in the game and I've revocated at least 4 times on each non main character, and about 10 times on my main (I think).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, my statement definately doesn't apply to exclusive LMS levels, mostly just for people still trying to make slime hill workable long term, your map is likely on-par or better than a MKS map, but grinding on slime hill? The second I found a MKS map I switched, no contest even. I am very jealous of your LMS only map though, I've yet to find a map with one exclusive monster type but I keep hoping.

reddeath on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, my statement definately doesn't apply to exclusive LMS levels, mostly just for people still trying to make slime hill workable long term, your map is likely on-par or better than a MKS map, but grinding on slime hill? The second I found a MKS map I switched, no contest even. I am very jealous of your LMS only map though, I've yet to find a map with one exclusive monster type but I keep hoping.

Don't hope to hard. Guy earlier in the thread got a pretty unique floor on one of his map.

Problem was no monsters spawned on that floor.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How do you "hunt" for grottos?
    I got one map early on (I don't even know how) right outside the 2nd town (storm...?). Beat that and i think it gave me another map, but I haven't tried that one yet. Do you get a new map every time you beat the endboss of a grotto?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dritz wrote: »

Don't hope to hard. Guy earlier in the thread got a pretty unique floor on one of his map.

Problem was no monsters spawned on that floor.

Incidentally, the grotto mapper linked earlier in the thread (http://www20.atpages.jp/dq9tools/tmape.cgi) will tell you if your grotto has a "special" floor. (The breakdown that gives you the boss, number of floors, number of S/A/B-ranked chests, etc. will have a line of red text.) This is useful since a map with an MKS-only floor might be so low-level that you wouldn't normally bother to explore it.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    How do you "hunt" for grottos?
    I got one map early on (I don't even know how) right outside the 2nd town (storm...?). Beat that and i think it gave me another map, but I haven't tried that one yet. Do you get a new map every time you beat the endboss of a grotto?

Except for boss number 12, yes. Well, and special grottos (one floor with a special boss).

Also, you got that map by talking to a guy outside Zere Rocks.

Darian on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm making a new thread right now.

I hope you enjoy it!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    did anyone use whips as their main weapon on a party member. are they good i'm thinking about making my mage whip some bitches but i dont know if that's a good idea.

iowa on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Leviathan down. Party level 15-16.

Houn on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576