As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    I like that robe Bethany's wearing in the screenshots, it looks much better than the ones from DA:O. Hopefully there is much more variety in the armor and clothing options in this game.

It's not really the robes that were the problem so much as it was the headgear for mages. Like the one that was kind of like wearing a snow cone with feathers on the top on your head? That was fun.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    I like that robe Bethany's wearing in the screenshots, it looks much better than the ones from DA:O. Hopefully there is much more variety in the armor and clothing options in this game.

Wonder how the hats look now.

Edit: Beat.

Dragkonias on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I like Flemeths new look

:winky:

At least she is still semi-wrinkly I was worried they were go full blown good looking 40 something year old based on the art and the not so detailed early shots.

Egos on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It was either vsove or a preview, but I do remember it being said they are working on armor variety for Dragon Age 2.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Prime RadiantPrime Radiant Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Really excited about this DLC. They had a horrible expansion with Awakening and then made a great fully voiced one with Leliana.

Prime Radiant on
    Psychological motivations of historical events, particularly hilarious while studying this on Goons.:mrgreen:
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well, technically she is a super witch and super-shapeshifter

I bet if she wanted to she could make herself look 20

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    It was either vsove or a preview, but I do remember it being said they are working on armor variety for Dragon Age 2.
    I just hope that they'll give mage clothing and rogue armor more love than they got in DA:O. All I'm asking for is to play as a male mage without having to put on a dress. No big, floppy hats either. Fuck Gandalf for perpetrating that myth..

Silpheed on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I just hope that they'll give mage clothing and rogue armor more love than they got in DA:O. All I'm asking for is to play as a male mage without having to put on a dress. No big, floppy hats either. Fuck Gandalf for perpetrating that myth..

I want more cloaks myself...

Dragkonias on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Probably not, at least if we go by what Morrigan tells us in Dragon Age Origins. If you ask her about shapeshifting into different Human forms she says that its impossible because when you shape shift you have to take every single little detail into account and it uses your most basic impression of the creature you're trying to change into. A person's most basic impression of people is themselves, so when you try you don't change, instead remaining yourself.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    edited August 2010

Indeed I wasn't a fan of rogues looking like slightly more bad ass Peter Pans for the most part.

Egos on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I don't know what the mage armour situation is (though I've seen a couple of the robes and they look nice), but I can say that our art lead's made the remark 'we're trying to address the fact that if you were a warrior, you got this exquisitely crafted and detailed armour to wear, and if you were a rogue you got a leather jacket with a skirt.'

Not verbatim, because I don't remember the exact quote, but it was along those lines. So rogues will be given some love this time around.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I ended up just giving my male mage the Arcane Warrior specialization and equipped him with a decent set of light armor. I also gave him an awesome glaive from the Jojo weapon & armor mod. He was pretty badass looking, to say the least.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Probably not, at least if we go by what Morrigan tells us in Dragon Age Origins. If you ask her about shapeshifting into different Human forms she says that its impossible because when you shape shift you have to take every single little detail into account and it uses your most basic impression of the creature you're trying to change into. A person's most basic impression of people is themselves, so when you try you don't change, instead remaining yourself.
    Morrigan also says that she's nowhere near as powerful as Flemeth, and even suggests the possibility of Flemeth making herself appear younger to seduce a Chasind man in order to become pregnant with Morrigan.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited August 2010
    vsove wrote: »

I don't know what the mage armour situation is (though I've seen a couple of the robes and they look nice), but I can say that our art lead's made the remark 'we're trying to address the fact that if you were a warrior, you got this exquisitely crafted and detailed armour to wear, and if you were a rogue you got a leather jacket with a skirt.'

Not verbatim, because I don't remember the exact quote, but it was along those lines. So rogues will be given some love this time around.
    It's good to know. Hell, I'd said it before and I'll say it again, give me a simple long coat with a shirt+pants combo(Harry Dresden fedora optional) and I'll be more than satisfied. There's no need to give me a bunch of brightly coloured bathrobes. :D

EDIT: Out of curiosity, how do you people tend to play your Arcane Warriors? Do you play them as a warrior or as a WH40k Librarian (caster with full platemail)? I'm currently replaying my Mage since my new harddrive took a dump on me and lost my saves so I don't mind some input.

Silpheed on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like sur-coats and half cloaks myself.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited August 2010
    All I want i a proper pointy wizard hat. You give us the dress but not the hat? For shame, Bioware.

edited August 2010
    To be fair wizard hats are pretty dorky...not that the ones they gave us were..undorky.

Egos on
    edited August 2010
    All I want i a proper pointy wizard hat. You give us the dress but not the hat? For shame, Bioware.
    Meh, fuck pointy Wizzard has and give me a wide brimmed hat instead.

Silpheed on
    edited August 2010
    What about a wide brimmed pointy hat?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2010
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Yeah, but that is just what silly little Morrigan thinks!

Flemeth is this ancient super-person-megawitch who can turn herself into Dragons. I am sure she can also turn herself into a younger ...self

witch magic!

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited August 2010
    You all just don't understand wizardry like I do. If you don't have a pointy wizard hat, you just aren't a real wizard. Simple as that.

edited August 2010
    Meh, fuck pointy Wizzard has and give me a wide brimmed hat instead.

With a feather in it.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2010
    You all just don't understand wizardry like I do. If you don't have a pointy wizard hat, you just aren't a real wizard. Simple as that.

..I want a bloody hood.

Egos on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wizzard hat with the word (spelled like that) embroidered on it in the front. So everyone knows you're a Wizzard.

rincewind.jpg

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow

So I crash every single time I try to complete the Forlorn Cove sidequest at the beginning of Awakenings

Every

time

That's pretty fucked

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited August 2010
    I want a Sombrero
    man-wearing-a-mexican-hat.jpg
    get to work, bioware

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Wizzard hat with the word (spelled like that) embroidered on it in the front. So everyone knows you're a Wizzard.

rincewind.jpg

Finally, someone who understands.

• XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait, there are people who were mages and didn't wear Dragon Scale Plate? How peculiar.

Xtarath on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

What about pointy hair? Does that count?

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »

rincewind.jpg
    Man, a proper pointy has enough room to store a modest crossbow and a not-so-modest flask of spirits. Otherwise, what's the thing for?

WotanAnubis on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want to see non-robe cloth armor. Would it be so weird to have a dapper mage? Nice pants, stylish vest, etc?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shall I get you a ladder
    So you can get off my back!?
    Why oh why did I pick the violent Elf voice.

Silas Brown on
    edited August 2010
    Shall I get you a ladder
    So you can get off my back!?
    Why oh why did I pick the violent Elf voice.
    It would be such a great voice set, too, if it wasn't for that clip.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2010

What about pointy hair? Does that count?

Perhaps if it's in the form of a pointy hat. I'll have to get back to you on that.

• McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Those screenshots are really...early?

McAllen on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I started my no-mage play-through a few days ago. Everyone looks awesome.

Foolish Chaos on
  • SeryphSeryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    vsove wrote: »

It's good to know. Hell, I'd said it before and I'll say it again, give me a simple long coat with a shirt+pants combo(Harry Dresden fedora optional) and I'll be more than satisfied. There's no need to give me a bunch of brightly coloured bathrobes. :D
    I can agree with this. The robes simply don't translate well (no matter the design, really) when your only available male body type is similar to that of an NFL player. I can definitely get behind some kind of badass redesign... especially since IMO you'll get points for being original and defying the typical view rather than perpetuating it. I haven't played as a male elf Mage so I can't really comment on how the robes work for that body type, but they look absurd on human males in general and considering Hawke will always be a human it's worth thinking about a conceptual change.

Personally I think some kind of half-coat could be pretty awesome, I envision a design informed by Charlie Prince's jacket in 3:10 to Yuma:

310ToYuma-BF-big.jpg
    EDIT: Out of curiosity, how do you people tend to play your Arcane Warriors? Do you play them as a warrior or as a WH40k Librarian (caster with full platemail)? I'm currently replaying my Mage since my new harddrive took a dump on me and lost my saves so I don't mind some input.
    I've never tried the "caster with platemail" option but it seems totally pointless. All of the 3 of the 4 abilities in the Arcane Warrior specilization tree require Combat Magic on and that ability adds a whopping 50% Fatigue while active, kicking your Mage's ability to be an efficient caster in the teeth. Not to mention the Fatigue additions from wearing heavier armors, and you're probably in the realm of 75-90% fatigue.

Your mages shouldn't really be hit in the first place, and the stats on the heavier armors just don't mesh well with Mages at all. You can use Wade's Superior Dragonscale Armor set for the +2 mana regen (since +stamina counts as +mana for Arcane Warriors) but you could get similar bonuses from Libertarian's Cowl + Tevinter Mage Robes (and way less fatigue).

IMO there's just no point using an Arcane Warrior if s/hes not getting in the fray. The Arcane Warrior doesn't have to be maintank or anything or necessarily even wear huge armors, but if he's not attacking it's kind of a waste. In my current playthrough I'm going for mass melee damage so I have S&B Tank Warden, 2H Sten, Song of Courage Archer Leliana and Arcane Warrior/Heals/Haste/Mana Clash Morrigan.

Seryph on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it me, or is Cailan's armor on Hawke lower res?

1187677-king_super.jpg

You know what game had good robes? The pope in AC2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arcane Warrior is completely overpowered. It lets you turn a mage into a nearly invincible tank and deal insane melee damage, removing the only drawbacks a mage has (low sustained damage and squishyness). Leave combat magic off and use a staff until you've blown your mana pool on fireballs and CC, then turn it on, pull out a sword and shield, and start smacking stuff for 100 damage a hit and taking no damage at all to cleanup.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited August 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    Arcane Warrior is completely overpowered. It lets you turn a mage into a nearly invincible tank and deal insane melee damage, removing the only drawbacks a mage has (low sustained damage and squishyness). Leave combat magic off and use a staff until you've blown your mana pool on fireballs and CC, then turn it on, pull out a sword and shield, and start smacking stuff for 100 damage a hit and taking no damage at all to cleanup.

This is compensated by the fact that they are boring to play xD

Egos on