As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh. Thanks anyway.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not the only one who dresses up my MC especially for Tag Mode, am I? Anyway, Torontonians, if you see Rhiannon in her snazzy swashbuckling outfit, you've passed by me at the Fan Expo. Wish I had a better map to share; nothing too special about mine except it's Level 61.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm trying to decide what I should be sharing... gamestop map? Level 90+ but with boss 12 (so no new maps from it)? Level 62 water with MKS and easy boss (Elusid)? Level 80 fire with MKS and tougher boss?

Which do you think people would want?

Darian on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not the only one who dresses up my MC especially for Tag Mode, am I? Anyway, Torontonians, if you see Rhiannon in her snazzy swashbuckling outfit, you've passed by me at the Fan Expo. Wish I had a better map to share; nothing too special about mine except it's Level 61.

When I went to the Best Buy event, I was pretty low-level and had my MC dressed in the scraps of clothes I could find that gave me the best defense at that moment.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized he's now lounging around a couple dozen people's games in his boxer shorts.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • klompryklompry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i posted this on the other thread yesterday. I had little response and of the response it was not very helpful.

i know that metal slime stuff comes 1% in rank A chests, but can they come in rank S chests? and if so is their a better chance? And does the Terain type matter (Ex: Ruins, Nature, Fire, Water, Ice)

Because having metal sword weilder using falcon slash would be awesome

klompry on
    edited August 2010
    Nope; they only show up in the rank A chests. Rank S give the ultimate weapons. Terrain doesn't matter.

Darian on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm probably going to share my Boss #11 map. People seem to have trouble finding him, it has one rank s chest, and some occasional metal king slimes. It's not too bad.

Artereis on
  • TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll not be able to make it to PAX but I plan to send my DS with my friend who is going to canvass for me.

I haven't successfully tagged anyone yet, so I wanted to make sure I'm doing it right.

Just to make sure I have it down right : all they need to do is enter canvass mode, right? Wi-fi settings and such won't matter because the DS are communicating directly with one another? Is that correct?

I'll also make sure to tell my friend to check it occasionally and leave canvass mode, walk out of the inn and re-enter canvass mode if they have tagged three people in one canvass session.

Anything I'm missing/forgetting/should take not of?

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good job on the OP there

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited August 2010
    Tevin wrote: »
    I'll not be able to make it to PAX but I plan to send my DS with my friend who is going to canvass for me.

I haven't successfully tagged anyone yet, so I wanted to make sure I'm doing it right.
    top screen will show who you tagged currently, and fills up at three names, so your friend can easily tell when it's time to leave/reenter the inn to start gathering more. for more work, i think the 1-3 you get should be found in the lounge to the left. have your friend go left, talk to the three new names to check for maps, then go back to the inn to restart (going to the lounge also counts as a leave/reenter), this way if your friend gets over 30 names, you won't miss the maps of the ones kicked out, if they brought any. or just have your friend stop at 30 if all you want are the inn unlocks.

not totally sure but i think you need wireless turned on in the DS settings. you're right that you don't need any connections setup, but i think wireless needs to be on in general.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, can't wait to tag so many people at PAX.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just picked up my first Fygg:
    from the Giant Fish Ghost Dad thing,

Was I able to do the All-Trades opening quest before this or does it only open once you've got a Fygg? I went to all trades first but nothing seemed to be going on so I stumbled around the world map and was halfway through the beach dungeon before I realised what was going on.

Anyway, All-Trades quest has started moving now so I'm off to that tower tonight and can finally get some new jobs up in.

What's the best plan for when 1st being zapped back down to level 1 in the new roles? Keep one guy in his current job to carry the rest? Change them all and head back to easier lands?

My questions got lost on the 1st page.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited August 2010
    1st fygg and alltrades
    you can make alltrades your 7th fygg if you completely miss it. but yeah, it's intended to be your first fygg.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just picked up my first Fygg:
    from the Giant Fish Ghost Dad thing,

Was I able to do the All-Trades opening quest before this or does it only open once you've got a Fygg? I went to all trades first but nothing seemed to be going on so I stumbled around the world map and was halfway through the beach dungeon before I realised what was going on.

Anyway, All-Trades quest has started moving now so I'm off to that tower tonight and can finally get some new jobs up in.

What's the best plan for when 1st being zapped back down to level 1 in the new roles? Keep one guy in his current job to carry the rest? Change them all and head back to easier lands?

My questions got lost on the 1st page.

Doesn't really matter. Your level one characters will still be sort-of powerful if you've been using skill points for class specific skill trees. The stats they gain carry over to whatever class they use. For the sake of speed, I usually keep two normal leveled characters (a priest and a mage) to accompany my two characters starting new jobs.

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide what I should be sharing... gamestop map? Level 90+ but with boss 12 (so no new maps from it)? Level 62 water with MKS and easy boss (Elusid)? Level 80 fire with MKS and tougher boss?

Which do you think people would want?

I would prefer the fire map, since that seems to be the rarest type among the maps I have.

But I won't be at PAX, so hey.

EDIT:

Man, for all of the complaints we all throw at bosses who use Disruptive Wave, I just crushed Atlas in a little over three rounds because I know he doesn't and I can get away with nonsense like Kabuff, Gritty Ditty, and a Fource (Life, although I think he's weaker to something else).

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited August 2010
    just got a metal slime sword... from a rank D chest? my dungeon starts on rank D then goes to S and i got it on floor 3.
    What is with that?

klompry on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    klompry wrote: »
    just got a metal slime sword... from a rank D chest? my dungeon starts on rank D then goes to S and i got it on floor 3.
    What is with that?

To invoke my New England heritage, "yah cahn't get theah from heah."

Dungeons starting with Rank D monsters can't progress to S: D (1-4) -> C (5-8) -> B (9-12) -> A (13-16). You must have started on C, which allows for Rank A chests on the 3rd and 4th floor.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Whose bright idea was it to make sorceror's stones available only from rank F chests, with a 2% chance?

Billmaan on
    edited August 2010
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Whose bright idea was it to make sorceror's stones available only from rank F chests, with a 2% chance?

Yeah, between that and the silver platter silliness I've given up on the dream of ever fully finishing the alchemy list.

cloudeagle on
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Excellent OP, Yay got my accolade for 50 tags last night!

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
    edited August 2010
    There's an accolade for 50 tags? I wish I knew that; just came home from the Simon Mall event and I left at 45 total guests.
    Happy thing I learned: Mayazaki map has #11 as its final boss.
    Managed to get Mayazaki, the Locker, Malroth (the event map), Estark (Best Buy map; some of the people had gone to Norfolk for that one), Psaro, Nimzo, and a level 99 map, among other things. Extremely successful. :)

Darian on
  • Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, between that and the silver platter silliness I've given up on the dream of ever fully finishing the alchemy list.

If you use the grotto map generator:
    http://www20.atpages.jp/dq9tools/tmape.cgi
    (The last code is the location of the grotto, the numbers from here: http://dq9.ffsky.cn/maplocation.htm )
    You can map the exact locations of all the chests in a grotto.
    When I was looking for a Dangerous Bustier -- 1% chance from a Rank 5/E chest -- I basically found a map that had two rank 5 chests on B3, and spent 45 minutes running down, checking those chests, evacing, closing the map, opening it again, and repeating. Took way less time than I thought.
    I plan to do the same trick for silver platters -- hopefully one of the low level dungeons I've kept around will have the chests. That's the real danger, there. I almost never see them now.

Zerozaki Ishiki on
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

If you use the grotto map generator:
    http://www20.atpages.jp/dq9tools/tmape.cgi
    (The last code is the location of the grotto, the numbers from here: http://dq9.ffsky.cn/maplocation.htm )
    You can map the exact locations of all the chests in a grotto.
    When I was looking for a Dangerous Bustier -- 1% chance from a Rank 5/E chest -- I basically found a map that had two rank 5 chests on B3, and spent 45 minutes running down, checking those chests, evacing, closing the map, opening it again, and repeating. Took way less time than I thought.
    I plan to do the same trick for silver platters -- hopefully one of the low level dungeons I've kept around will have the chests. That's the real danger, there. I almost never see them now.

The problem is that I need at least 7 or 8 sorceror's stones. :[
    On average, I'd have to open 350-400 chests (while standing no chance at getting anything else worthwhile).

Billmaan on
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    There's an accolade for 50 tags? I wish I knew that; just came home from the Simon Mall event and I left at 45 total guests.

I believe there is an accolade for 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000 tags........ good luck with that :lol:

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
    edited August 2010
    If there is a single person in the United States not employed by Nintendo or Squeenix that has the 1,000 tags achievement, I'll eat my hat.

I mean, even Lunker couldn't get any random tags while running around New York City, for chrissake.

cloudeagle on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Revocate your hero's classes and get some maps when at level 1, that might get you some lower level ones.
    On average, I'd have to open 350-400 chests (while standing no chance at getting anything else worthwhile).

I think there's an RNG trick for getting whatever you want from these chests, or at least being able to open it multiple times for the same item(?).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2010

I think there's an RNG trick for getting whatever you want from these chests, or at least being able to open it multiple times for the same item(?).

Sort of. My understanding is that the contents of any given chest change every second according to a fixed pattern. If you know a given chest's pattern, then you can quicksave in front of it, reload the game, wait however many seconds, and open it.

It would be a lot of work to figure out the pattern, but in this case it's probably worth trying.

edit: AHAHAHA, I just tried this with a rank F chest on the third floor of some random grotto. If I quicksave directly below it and hammer the A button while reloading, I get a sorceror's stone every time.

edit #2: Hm. After the first few times, it's started consistently giving me mini medals. I guess my timing needs to be either a bit faster or a bit slower.

Billmaan on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I gave my character the same name (except the i was an e).

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

My MC will probably be dressed up in Sacrosanct armor with the snazzy pink Veteran's Helm.

That, or the halo. Haven't decided. Pity my map to share tomorrow will be a level 43 unless I get something better sometime tonight/tomorrow morning.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited August 2010
    aha, Oops i mean Rank C But wouldnt the 3rd floor rank C

klompry on
  • nozamanozama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm still trying to beat the main story. I thought a nice change would be to check out some grottos. The first one I explored was pretty easy. My MC is lvl 42 Monk. So it was no problem. I get another map, find the grotto and find out the days of easy grotto bosses are over.
    Holy crap. The Shogum boss is crazy hard. How in the world do you beat this guy? By the time he calls in a healing sliime and gets 999 hps back from "omniheal" my preist and mage are dead. My fighter and MC are near death.
    I was surprised Shogum was so hard. The map I got from Equinox was only a lvl 5 map (w/ Shogum as boss). The map I got from the Zere Rocks guy was a lvl 4.
    So, I'm glad the post game content seems to be quite challenging. I can't wait to get to more grottos. Also I'm so glad the music is different in grottos. I am so sick of the music in the towns and overworld. Would it have killed them to give each town a little musical variation?

nozama on
    Pearl FC: 4684 6107 2273. DS username Duff

The Dark Spire: Where the fun of RPGs goes to die.

Will Work for Liver Transplant
    Save a life, become an organ donor.
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nozama wrote: »
    Also I'm so glad the music is different in grottos. I am so sick of the music in the towns and overworld. Would it have killed them to give each town a little musical variation?

Heh. The music for the Stornway inn was so catchy. AT FIRST.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

There is an unreleased DLC quest that gives Sorcerer's Stones as the reward, and it's repeatable (and extremely easy, I might add... kill Elusid in 8 turns. I do that regularly with a handicapped party). It's quest 166, so it won't be out for a while, though.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nozama wrote: »
    I'm still trying to beat the main story. I thought a nice change would be to check out some grottos. The first one I explored was pretty easy. My MC is lvl 42 Monk. So it was no problem. I get another map, find the grotto and find out the days of easy grotto bosses are over.
    Holy crap. The Shogum boss is crazy hard. How in the world do you beat this guy? By the time he calls in a healing sliime and gets 999 hps back from "omniheal" my preist and mage are dead. My fighter and MC are near death.
    I was surprised Shogum was so hard. The map I got from Equinox was only a lvl 5 map (w/ Shogum as boss). The map I got from the Zere Rocks guy was a lvl 4.

Ah, I remember what it was like trying to beat grotto bosses without a paladin, magic mirror, reverse cycle, and forbearance. It's like a completely different game...

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Ah, I remember what it was like trying to beat grotto bosses without a paladin, magic mirror, reverse cycle, and forbearance. It's like a completely different game...
    I beat most grotto bosses right now without a paladin and those abilities. I rarely use Forbearance (a ticket to instant death for the character if the boss uses disruptive wave), and everyone can cast Magic Mirror on their own, if I choose not to just eat the damage and simply Multi-heal once.

Don't get me wrong, having a Paladin as a tank with those abilities can make an underleveled party succeed where they might not have before. But really, it's more effective to have 4 characters who can stand on their own two feet during battles, which the occasional Kabuff and perhaps Multi-heal spam to back them up.

It may seem impossible to reach that point, at first. I know when I was seeing Zoma (after the first DQ Gamestop event) hit my characters for 400 health per hit, I was intimidated. But eventually, I got to the point where I can safely take him and other bosses without Forbearance or Magic Mirror.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well of course you need to refine your strategy once you start seeing the higher level baddies, particularly the ones that abuse disruptive wave. Once you've got the proper skills and equipment, kabuff is often all you need defensively.

When you're a grotto newb fighting against low-level bosses like Shogum, though, a fan-wielding pally feels outright gamebreaking.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually just beat Shogum after seeing him for the first time. The worst part of the fight was when he crit my paladin (yeah I used a paladin, so sue me). Still, pretty neat.

Imperfect on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wooo, finally maxed out my Sword skill! Now to work on the thief tree for some agility stuff.

urahonky on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I actually just beat Shogum after seeing him for the first time. The worst part of the fight was when he crit my paladin (yeah I used a paladin, so sue me). Still, pretty neat.

That guy gave me a heck of tough time at first. He's still an asshole, but at least I finally got him.

Everything would go great until he would Distruptive Wave (or whatever) us, then Crit everybody to death in one shot. Wound up just levelling up a bit, learning Multiheal in the process, and coming back to barely finish him with, like, one of my guys left alive or something stupid like that.

I don't even wanna think about the scary bosses I haven't even seen yet.

hatedinamerica on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Grrrr, the Special Event Map at the Toronto FanExpo is just another Zoma's Map. Also, Nintendo's booth had DQIX, Super Mario Galaxy, NWMB Wii, and Sin and Punishment. No Golden Sun DS, no Kirby's Epic Yarn, no Metroid Other M, no 3DS units even though they'd been promised in the promo material. My co-workers and I were there with our press passes and the guy at the booth was trying to get us to do an impression of DQIX. We just looked at him and finally said, "We already reviewed that. TWICE." Fail, Nintendo. Fail.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.