As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Worms Reloaded - Cluster Bombs and Butt Scooching

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm kind of confused about how the shop works. I bought the holy hand grenade and banana bomb, but neither one showed up in my inventory when I played some games against my fiancee last night.

edit: Also, I was happy to find out it supports my wired 360 controller. Since I started playing Worms on consoles, this makes life easier.

The in-game help says that buying a weapon unlocks it for customizing your own game styles.

Peewi on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a big fan of the rope not being the ultimate weapon. It was entertainingly broken in the Worms2/Arma days, but it really prevented people from learning to make sweet bazooka shots.

Hockey Johnston on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Classic move from Walrus earlier today, threw a grenade on himself, which made my sentry gun above fall ontop of his worm subsequently pummelling him with bullets. Oh the hilarity.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sentry guns are in?
    Definitely not buying.

Xagarath on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So as of this morning, game crashes every five minutes.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Sentry guns are in?
    Definitely not buying.

Your decision hinged on that one weapon being included? Seriously? Seriously?!

I'm pretty sure they are not given in the default Standard ruleset, except via crates. If you despise them, you can make a ruleset that excludes them, just make sure you host.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, no. I was already probably not buying. The inclusion of the worst new feature of Worms 4 just pushes me over the edge.

Xagarath on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So...how different/broken is the ninja rope in this game?

Also, why would anyone recommend playing with a controller, when you have a keyboard and mouse available? How badly did Team17 screw up this game, where a controller is the preferred input device? Mind you, I haven't played a Worms game since WWP on the Dreamcast, but using the controller was painful when compared to mouse and keyboard. Ninja roping across the level wasn't nearly as precise, and just looking around the map with the analog stick was sllooooowwww compared to using a mouse.

AnakinOU on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They didn't screw up the game. I'm enjoying it plenty as well are others based on the games we played last night. The only complaints I have are regarding the interface.

Chat doesn't overlay, but instead places a giant chat window over the screen so you can't see the action. Integrated Steam voice chat is a very acceptable alternative.

Setting up a private MP match was a bit cumbersome at first. Once you figure out to invite from the Steam overlay, and join invitations from the root of the in-game Multiplayer menu, that's not a big deal.

The controls can only be mapped to the keyboard, except for moving the camera with the mouse, and opening the weapon menu with a right-click. I really want left-click to fire, but that seems impossible, and might be the reason I switch to a controller.

I've noticed that people are having trouble doing a full rotation with the rope, like you would do in the past to get yourself up to higher ground. Assuming its not just inexperience, I don't have a problem with this, because I always thought that was cheap anyways.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Sentry guns are in?
    Definitely not buying.

Sentry guns are awesome, add a nice element of strategy for darksiders.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited August 2010
    They aren't that hard to deal with to be honest, generally you can make someone waste a turn shooting it but it won't do much against a knowledgeable player. Plus something kinda needed to fill the spot mines should have filled (area denial) because anyone can deal with mines by walking near them, backing off until it explodes and then continuing on their way. It's not a surprise mines are mostly just used as mini-dynamites by players.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    They aren't that hard to deal with to be honest, generally you can make someone waste a turn shooting it but it won't do much against a knowledgeable player. Plus something kinda needed to fill the spot mines should have filled (area denial) because anyone can deal with mines by walking near them, backing off until it explodes and then continuing on their way. It's not a surprise mines are mostly just used as mini-dynamites by players.

And AI

Lux782 on
    edited August 2010
    They don't need to since they can throw a perfect grenade any time they want and they do the same damage.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They don't need to since they can throw a perfect grenade any time they want and they do the same damage.

That is true and largely the reason I hate the AI. They are like "Oh see this shot in which I bounce the nade off no less then 4 surfaces? bam!"

Lux782 on
    edited August 2010
    So I reinstalled and the game still crashes within a minute of starting, when it worked flawlessly for the past 2 days or however long it's been available.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah Worms has never had good AI scaling. Even the dumb fuck AI will pull off a ridiculous shot whenever they're in the mood.

I think people should use weapon sets that discourage hiding and turtling in general, that's definitely an issue on some maps. Too many games get drawn out by cheesy camping strategies and end in sudden death.

Zek on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anybody want to play some worms?

Drool on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm up for a quick game!

edit: or not

Tamin on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone else had this "game is currently unavailable, please try again later" error?

L|ama on
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had that problem. Verify your Worms files, that's what fixed mine.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, tried that. Tried everything in all the relevant FAQs on steam, tried things people in the steam forums with the same problem were told to try, still not fucking working.

L|ama on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

That is true and largely the reason I hate the AI. They are like "Oh see this shot in which I bounce the nade off no less then 4 surfaces? bam!"

Welcome to every worms game.

Ever.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    ok when running the wormsreloaded.exe directly from the folder, I get "windows cannot access the specified file. you may not have the appropriate permissions", even when using run as administrator. I think this is something to do with a vista being a fuckwit about program files permissions, but I don't really know how. Any guesses?

L|ama on
    edited August 2010
    oh for fuck's sake I have to completely disable antivirus instead of just moving it to trusted. Ugh.

L|ama on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wish you could stick around and chat with your opponent at the end of a ranked game.

SteevL on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, question. Is the Steam demo download for this not working for anyone else? Like, I see the demo at the top of the list of demos. But when I click on it, it just takes me to the full game's page.

It actually redirects from the demo page; the link is to http://store.steampowered.com/app/22690/ , but it changes to http://store.steampowered.com/app/22600 . :-(

Frem on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There should be a "download demo" button on the right hand side of the full game's page, next to the button to buy it.

BloodySloth on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Doh! I'm used to the other demo pages where there's a green button in the left column. Thanks. :-)

Edit: After playing the demo... does that damage seem "off" to anyone else? I tossed a cluster bomb into a little notch in the landscape right next to an enemy worm, and he was pretty much engulfed in explosions, yet got off with only two damage.

The UI is also really unresponsive on my laptop. The game seems to run at a normal speed, and the keyboard controls work fine, but I have to click multiple times before the UI will register that I'm clicking on a button.

Meh. It just make me pine for Armageddon.

Frem on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been having fun with the ranked battles, although I don't think there really are that many people playing them. Yesterday I got paired up with the same guy three times in a row.

But I also had one of the more hilarious experiences with a guy who greeted me with "Hello Steev. Are you ready to battle the American Heroes?" All his worms had names like "Cpl. Roberts" and every time he'd kill one of my worms, he'd utter a one-liner tailor-made to fit my worm's name. I don't remember the specifics, but they were along the lines of "Your belief has blinded you to the truth. Prepare to die." when he killed my worm named The Believer.

SteevL on
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So far I am regretting this purchase. Hopefully, the rest of my 4 pack crew will be able to at least squeak 20 hours of fun out of this so I can feel better!

Becoming on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If anyone wants to play my steam id is Feriluce

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone else have Armageddon on 360? I'm down to play sometime. KAYLE SOLO, just add me.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck this game and it's fucking cheating AI. How the fuck am I supposed to beat campaign 25 when they can make literally impossible shots and I only have 2 worms? Fuck. Off.

Adus on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darkside like a motherfucker.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Darkside like a motherfucker.

Wait till you see the 30s :)

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Well, 3 days and counting this game is still unplayable thanks to the patch that made it crash all the time.

This is pretty much it for me and T17 products.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From what little I've experienced with Worms reloaded, the game would be pretty great if, like, none of the other Worms games existed. As it is, it looks like it packs significantly less features than W:A or WWP while not making any improvements, other than having really nice visuals compared to its predecessors.

BloodySloth on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It has its hits and its misses.

The campaign is shoddy. Armageddon and WWP both had campaigns with custom landscapes and semi-storyline'd missions, along with some cool gimmick missions (survive armageddon/climb the eiffel tower with a longbow). Whereas in this, we just get a bunch of terrible AI worms on semi-random generated landscapes and a few gimmick missions that feel more like training. Warzone mode is no better; a thorough cakewalk. It seems they aimed the difficulty at the 'very bad' Worms crowd for no good reason.

Hats and the new voice packs are nice.

The new "sick" worm recolour is horrible. The old green tinge has been replaced with a simple makeover that makes them spaceworms, honestly.

Some of the new weapons are cool. That said, I'd like to see a lot of the old weapons available too.

Customising rulesets is horrifically weak compared to Armageddon and WWP. Aside from the interface (< Weapon > for each weapon, so you have to scroll through all other weapons to reach one you want to change...), a lot of the funnier things are missing. Flaming sheep strike, Freeze, Indian Nuclear Test, to name a few.

The last thing to mention is - sadly - the loss of the cutscenes. I understand that T17 is practically an Indie studio at this point, and doesn't have the moolah for these any more, but it's very sad indeed; much of the Worms character came from those little shorts.

All the complaints aside though, it's still Worms, playable on the latest OSes and without WormNet reliance for multiplayer.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well the last time I played worms was ten years ago and I was six so this is really good by my standards!

VALVEjunkie on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been getting a lot of fun out of this

but then again I haven't been running into a lot of the issues you all seem to be

TheySlashThem on