As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Shall I get you a ladder
    So you can get off my back!?
    Why oh why did I pick the violent Elf voice.
    It would be such a great voice set, too, if it wasn't for that clip.

The violent voices are great...yup except for that freakin line.

Egos on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    Shall I get you a ladder

There's a mod for that.

Monger on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Shall I get you a ladder

There's a mod for that.
    The problem isn't the delivery of the line, it's the fact that you hear it every time you do anything. All that mod does is replace one line with another, so instead of the ladder clip you'll get a different one.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's with the simple lighting in Dragon Age 2?

Hoz on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    media.nl?id=1350&c=862287&h=82c252af466ecede6ddb

possible party member silhouettes?

also that Champion Mark is pretty bitchin'

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Those shirts are way overdesigned.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well technically two of them are hoodies

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well technically to of them are hoodies

Still, compare to the elegant simplicity of the N7 hoodie

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Likes like a logo for a gay autobot association.

Hoz on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

You leave the fine name of the Erotibots out of this!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »

You leave the fine name of the Erotibots out of this!

they don't call them TransFans for nothing
    i'm so sorry about that

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got the first DA shirt and loved it!

I'm still pissed I can't get an N7 tee.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If true, I think that might mean we'll get one dwarf. Everybody else's height is a bit more difficfult to place.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So anyway does anyone know a way to complete the quest to rescue that dude's daughter in Awakenings without crashing

Because that's all I've been able to manage so far, is crashing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You have to pass a skill check to not crash. Have you been neglecting your Cunning stat? If so, you're just going to keep crashing until you want to ragequit. Then you have to pass a Willpower check.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    media.nl?id=1350&c=862287&h=82c252af466ecede6ddb

the champion one would tempt me more without the II in front...tbh O_O though its still tempting

Egos on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    Those screenshots are really...early?

They look far better than the earlier screenshots we got, with the sadface Ogre.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nothing like having the game crash during one of the tedious endgame fights with a darkspawn general.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The endgame fights were cake? Didn't non-elites die in like 1 or 2 hits

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    The endgame fights were cake? Didn't non-elites die in like 1 or 2 hits

Yeah. The game likes to throw a lot of enemies at you in waves in order to pretend like it is epic when it is just tedious. Crashing around the time I was about to finish it is kind of annoying.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like how
    most of the Archdemon and Harvester (though the latter has some pretty damn tough minions, as opposed to the cannon fodder the Archdemon tosses your way) fights
    boils down to that. Gotta love enemy spam.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Wizzard hat with the word (spelled like that) embroidered on it in the front. So everyone knows you're a Wizzard.

rincewind.jpg
    Man, a proper pointy has enough room to store a modest crossbow and a not-so-modest flask of spirits. Otherwise, what's the thing for?

Ah, you want this version then:
    436px-Mustrum.jpg

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wizzard hat with the word (spelled like that) embroidered on it in the front. So everyone knows you're a Wizzard.

rincewind.jpg
    Man, a proper pointy has enough room to store a modest crossbow and a not-so-modest flask of spirits. Otherwise, what's the thing for?

I don't know, pretty sure Warhammer cornered the market for attaching all kinds of random stuff to every accessory possible about 20 years ago.

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The way he's nonchalantly standing on that demon and smoking a pipe just makes that perfect.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »

rincewind.jpg

I don't know, pretty sure Warhammer cornered the market for attaching all kinds of random stuff to every accessory possible about 20 years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld
    1983 on these

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    II looks cool, but I am kind of tired of playing as white guy humans in pretty much every stinking game.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are we sure yet you can't customize Hawke's look? I think the trailer Hawke is just a face like the Sacred Ashes trailer. At least it would be the first time Bioware wouldn't let you customize your PC in a game ever.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope you can shave off the beard.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are we sure yet you can't customize Hawke's look? I think the trailer Hawke is just a face like the Sacred Ashes trailer. At least it would be the first time Bioware wouldn't let you customize your PC in a game ever.

Probably more like ME, where they have a default with a special mesh for the male promotional shots, but the real sheppard is just another random facegen. Which is a shame, because the PC being from the character gen in DAO meant that most random NPCs didn't look as stupid in comparison because they were the exact same assets

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's been made pretty clear from what I've read that Dragon Age II will have a full character creator... the only limitation is that Hawke must be human.

Hawke doesn't even have to be male so yes, hopefully the beard is optional.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    SeryphSeryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    II looks cool, but I am kind of tired of playing as white guy humans in pretty much every stinking game.
    I see what you're saying but, I mean, there are plenty of games where the PC isn't a human (or you can choose for it not to be) and, to be honest, there's not many games where I'm like "Yeah, this game is okay, but it would be off the charts if I were black" or whatever.

Either way I think Mild Confusion is probably right that the only restriction we know of for Hawke is that s/he is human... iirc we know we can choose for Hawke to be a girl, right? For the story they want to tell and the origin of the character they want to have (Lothering refugee etc.) having Hawke be human is kind of the only thing that makes sense. He definitely couldn't be a dwarf, although "escaped slave elf" or some such is conceivable I guess considering the family of elf refugees that are in Lothering in DA:O.

Seryph on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's been made pretty clear from what I've read that Dragon Age II will have a full character creator... the only limitation is that Hawke must be human.

WRONG!

That epic beard is mandatory for every Hawke build, male or female.

You will have a manly beard of manliness.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Origins was totally better if you played a black character. Start a black human noble. Do it.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And actually, all you could change about your characters in bioware games before kotor was the portrait, voice, and clothes color

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm having trouble deciding on a team. I am an elven mage, probably going to deal damage and spirit heal on the side.

I am thinking Shale for tank, although he's a bit boring, and I don't know what to do for the others. Is Leliana as a Duelist and Morrigan as an Arcane Mage weird? I just know I need some damage dealers.

Lux on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Origins was totally better if you played a black character. Start a black human noble. Do it.

I did this. Man...did I stand out...

:lol:

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

WRONG!

That epic beard is mandatory for every Hawke build, male or female.

You will have a manly beard of manliness.
    More like a hobo beard of homelessness.

Sort of like the beard I have right now in real life.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SeryphSeryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    I'm having trouble deciding on a team. I am an elven mage, probably going to deal damage and spirit heal on the side.

I am thinking Shale for tank, although he's a bit boring, and I don't know what to do for the others. Is Leliana as a Duelist and Morrigan as an Arcane Mage weird? I just know I need some damage dealers.
    It depends on the difficulty setting you want to play on but when I tried using Shale as my tank on Nightmare she started dying in every other fight or so (although I tend not to use Poultices very much and rely on heals) so I'd say she's kind of a suspect tank, but I guess if you're on Normal or something she can probably handle it.

Morrigan can be a fine Arcane Warrior but keep in mind that certain spells have an awkward relationship when a staff isn't equipped (nonstaff weapons have to be holstered for a number of spells, taking up a lot of time). It can be worked around with weaponswitch micro but you probably don't want to be wasting a ton of time focusing on microing Morrigan just so she's halfway efficient, when she can be easily as a more spell-focused Mage with some decent gear and tactics.

Leliana as a duelist can work, but it really depends on how much effort you want to put into every battle. Dualwield Rogues are pretty awful if they're attacking enemies from the front, but there's no good way to have the AI go for backstabs.

Personally, I like combat to be a breeze, so I choose configurations where I don't have to do a lot and tactics/basic targeting micro gets you through easily. To that end I use characters like single-target spell and/or healing Mages, Archer Rogues, and Warriors. On the occasional fight I'll have to roll up the sleeves and drop some Blood Wounds or Mana Clashes or something, but mostly I just tell my main what to hit and everyone else is scripted to nuke the crap out of that thing, then I move on to the next.
    Monger wrote:
    Does your parents being white and looking nothing like you have anything to do with it, because I could see that being pretty damn hysterical actually.

Seryph on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I did this. Man...did I stand out...

:lol:
    I'm not here to judge.

It just begs questions.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    And actually, all you could change about your characters in bioware games before kotor was the portrait, voice, and clothes color

You could change skin tone, head, and race in Neverwinter Nights too.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png