As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficial Android App (Current Vr: 1.2.2: Custom events and maps!)

• killtripkilltrip Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dude, seriously.. this app is outstanding, and you deserve a big high five for this. especially your interaction with the users and making requested changes.

Now, if you can make it come with a monkey that can carry my swag? I'll buy you a mail order bride.. :D

killtrip on
    twitter: @killtrip
  • nickswarnickswar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    killtrip wrote: »
    dude, seriously.. this app is outstanding, and you deserve a big high five for this. especially your interaction with the users and making requested changes.

Now, if you can make it come with a monkey that can carry my swag? I'll buy you a mail order bride.. :D

How about a robot monkey :P??

nickswar on
  • Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Great update! The logo looks good in the background.

Sgt Superman on
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  • langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Great app! Thanks muchly for this.

I'm still having some issues getting the expo hall maps to load properly, but the rest is working great :)

Running Android 2.1 on HTC Droid Incredible.

langri on
  • 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nickswar wrote: »
    Brian4120 wrote: »
    Okay, When I tap the Event Schedule button > Friday, I get sent to a blank screen. Sat/Sunday just cause the screen to scroll and go back the day selections screen (Just retested after clearing some memory and the sat/sunday options go to a blank screen)

Running on Droid X 2.1-update1

This exact issue +1

Also is there a way that people can donate a couple of buck to ya? You really deserve it.

Still looking into this issue. Also, thanks! If there are enough people that want to donate then maybe I'll put a donate button in the app. That would be nice for tuition and textbook, that stuff's not cheap and anything helps :P.

I'll donate!

61Ranchero on
  • LiberaltugboatLiberaltugboat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    61Ranchero wrote: »
    Okay, When I tap the Event Schedule button > Friday, I get sent to a blank screen. Sat/Sunday just cause the screen to scroll and go back the day selections screen (Just retested after clearing some memory and the sat/sunday options go to a blank screen)

This exact issue +1

Also is there a way that people can donate a couple of buck to ya? You really deserve it.

Still looking into this issue. Also, thanks! If there are enough people that want to donate then maybe I'll put a donate button in the app. That would be nice for tuition and textbook, that stuff's not cheap and anything helps :P.

I'll donate!

PLEASE LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY!!! Hell even if you don't put a donate link... tell us where we can meet up with you at PAX so I can give ya some cash

Liberaltugboat on
    edited August 2010

This exact issue +1

I'll donate!

PLEASE LET US GIVE YOU OUR MONEY!!! Hell even if you don't put a donate link... tell us where we can meet up with you at PAX so I can give ya some cash

Lol, I've never had anyone begging to give me money before. I'll make sure there is donate button in the final version. I really do appreciate you guys wanting to donate.

edit: Sidenote! Move to SD card is in the next update.
    edit2: Sidenote x2! Lackey was nice enough to let me link his master tabletop grid in the app, so a button for that is also coming! (found here)

nickswar on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    in the version you moved the logo to the background, it says "Update 0.1.n" instead of 0.1.1 or at least I'm guessing it was supposed to be 0.1.1

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited August 2010
    contrefait wrote: »
    in the version you moved the logo to the background, it says "Update 0.1.n" instead of 0.1.1 or at least I'm guessing it was supposed to be 0.1.1

Yeah, that was a little typo. Thanks for catching it!

nickswar on
  • JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just noticed something. I have a G1 and do not have the multi-touch so I can not zoom in on the maps for the Expo Hall 1 & 2. What happened to the - / + to zoom in? Can you bring that back? It would be much appreciated.

Jeppy on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jeppy wrote: »
    I just noticed something. I have a G1 and do not have the multi-touch so I can not zoom in on the maps for the Expo Hall 1 & 2. What happened to the - / + to zoom in? Can you bring that back? It would be much appreciated.

I have a g1 as well, hold (till click) and then drag

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • killtripkilltrip Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    killtrip wrote: »

How about a robot monkey :P??

Whats your preferences? Russian? Swedish? Ohh.. maybe you like the Pacific Islands? damn.. this sounds like a take out menu.. :P lol

Seriously man, I'll buy you a beer/coffee at pax if you have the time for little ol me.. :P

killtrip on
    twitter: @killtrip
  • JeppyJeppy Maple Valley WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bendery It Like Beckham thank you very much for the tip. I had a feeling I was missing something since I could move the maps around just did not "hold" the map long enough.

Jeppy on
    edited August 2010
    Jeppy wrote: »

I have a g1 as well, hold (till click) and then drag

Thanks for pointing that out. One of the reasons I didn't want to do multi-touch was because I knew not all of the versions would support it. I was lucky enough to find some open source code with a very nice implementation of single touch, and I just modified it to fit my needs. The only issue is that for people on 1.5, I had to make the scrolling less smooth than for people >1.5 (it's kind of like the scrolling used to be when there were buttons).

nickswar on
    edited August 2010
    Maybe add a note in the program somewhere that explains how to do the zooming?

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    edited August 2010
    Maybe add a note in the program somewhere that explains how to do the zooming?

Yeah, that might be a good idea. I forgot which version I put it in, but I added an annoying little message that says something like "Touch & hold, then drag to zoom" every time a map is opened. I'll figure some other place to put instructions too.

nickswar on
  • JDBizzJDBizz Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    The last version was crashing on my samsung moment. the current version works great. tell me how to donate to you via paypal!!!!!

JDBizz on
  • TeknoMonkeyTeknoMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's working on my Droid 1 with FROYO 2.2 on it. I'll have to try it out once I get the latest Froyo update.

Here's a thought, how about we do a PAX assistant android meetup sometime during the con? That way we can all meet nickswar and thank him in person for his time in creating this, and discuss how we can further help out in creating a program that will be helpful for years to come at both Prime and East Conventions. Thoughts?

TeknoMonkey on
    edited August 2010
    It's working on my Droid 1 with FROYO 2.2 on it. I'll have to try it out once I get the latest Froyo update.

Here's a thought, how about we do a PAX assistant android meetup sometime during the con? That way we can all meet nickswar and thank him in person for his time in creating this, and discuss how we can further help out in creating a program that will be helpful for years to come at both Prime and East Conventions. Thoughts?

That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately my time at PAX will only be limited to Saturday, and I still need to run around and see everything (I know! I create this cool app and I only get to use it for one day D:). However, I was thinking about going to the convention center real early and waiting near the front of the line. I might hold a sign or wear a shirt saying something like "Check out my awesome Android app PAX Assistant 2010!". If you end up finding me then don't hesitate to come over and say hi!

Also, side note! Update 0.1.2 is now on the market. Both move to SD card and Lackey's master tabletop grid are now available.

nickswar on
  • 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rocks harder with each new iteration. Looking forward to the donate button.

61Ranchero on
  • aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't mean to start a holy war, but looking at the iPhone app and the fact that the developer can't even guarantee it'll be out before PAX itself, I just have to laugh. We've gone through, what? 7 versions in a couple weeks. This is exactly why I love Android.

aragorn18 on
    edited August 2010
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    I don't mean to start a holy war, but looking at the iPhone app and the fact that the developer can't even guarantee it'll be out before PAX itself, I just have to laugh. We've gone through, what? 7 versions in a couple weeks. This is exactly why I love Android.

Yeah, I agree. No hate towards Apple, but as a developer the unrestricted market Android has is much more appealing.

nickswar on
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it possible to make links clickable in the twitter feed?

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
    edited August 2010

With the way I implemented twitter, that would be kind of hard. If there are enough people that want clickable tweets, then I can figure something out. The only thing is that I can't really guarantee twitter will even work during PAX due to any wifi/3g issues.

nickswar on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Huh, it just keeps downloading on my Droid, over and over.

RoyceSraphim on
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

With the way I implemented twitter, that would be kind of hard. If there are enough people that want clickable tweets, then I can figure something out. The only thing is that I can't really guarantee twitter will even work during PAX due to any wifi/3g issues.

Not too worried about it. I don't like twitter much anyway.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I <3 you Nick and this app. I found it on the marketplace about a week ago. I'm definitely digging it, incredibly useful.

I really need to finish learning to develop for Android now that I have an Incredible.

Rocks harder with each new iteration. Looking forward to the donate button.

Also this, its probably to late for me to offer to help with any coding on this project, but this is definitely something I'd pay for, and this is coming from someone who is generally anti-paying for apps.

ransim on
  • TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    IntelGameOn just tweeted about your App Nick. Expect to see a few more downloads ;-)

Teknotronic on
    edited August 2010
    Huh, it just keeps downloading on my Droid, over and over.

I think that might be a market thing. I've had that happen before and when I try again later it works.
    ransim wrote: »
    Also this, its probably to late for me to offer to help with any coding on this project, but this is definitely something I'd pay for, and this is coming from someone who is generally anti-paying for apps.

Thanks, that means a lot to me! Also, if you want to get started with Android programming, this is a great book. It's the one I started with and helped me learn about the SDK before I even had an Android phone.
    IntelGameOn just tweeted about your App Nick. Expect to see a few more downloads ;-)

Nice! I'm glad a lot more people will find it now!

nickswar on
    edited August 2010
    Well, on my Droid 1 with froyo, I downloaded it once but it didn't pop up on my menu and downloaded it sommore and it didn't show up, now when I go to the program in the market, there is only a button to cancel a nonexistent download and when I push it, the market app crashes!

RoyceSraphim on
    edited August 2010
    Well, on my Droid 1 with froyo, I downloaded it once but it didn't pop up on my menu and downloaded it sommore and it didn't show up, now when I go to the program in the market, there is only a button to cancel a nonexistent download and when I push it, the market app crashes!

tried rebooting your phone?

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah, glad to see this app maturing so well. the only thing I would hope to see is multitouch zooming. I know you already had a method for single touch but if it was a setting, you could have it set default to disabled and people who have multitouch capable screens could flip it on.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • stembystemby NASA Lead Internal Video Editor Houston, TxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Between the last time I checked this app(beginning of the week) and today.

SO MUCH HAS CHANGED! I like it.

stemby on
    edited August 2010

tried rebooting your phone?

How would I do this? Remove the battery for a prolonged period of time? Because I removed the battery and didn't turn it back on until I fixed my mother's flat tire and the problem was still there.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited August 2010
    I was thinking turning it off by holding the power button and choosing power off (How to do this could depend on the phone) then waiting a bit and turning it back on. Removing the battery works too.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This same thing happened to me on update. Persisted after reboot. I really wanted the new version, so I uninstalled it, assuming this would clear the issue - no such luck! Now I've gone from pretty good version to no version :(

I don't think it's anything to do with the app though, far more likely that it's a market issue. Still, though. :(

EDIT: Same thing is happening on the Official Twitter client (minus the uninstall, not falling for that again), so I'm sure it's a Market thing.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2010
    For those having problems downloading from the market, try some of the suggestions here. Seems like a lot of people are having problems with the market lately. If the issues aren't fixed by PAX I'll figure a way to go around the market.

nickswar on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For those having problems downloading from the market, try some of the suggestions here. Seems like a lot of people are having problems with the market lately. If the issues aren't fixed by PAX I'll figure a way to go around the market.

...fuck. Just, fuck.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2010

...fuck. Just, fuck.

Yeah I know. Hopefully Google will fix this.

nickswar on
  • Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You can always find a host for the APK file, enable installing from sources other than the market, and download it via browser

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
This discussion has been closed.