As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Lone Wolf: David Bowie is a druid? Wait, no that kind of makes sense.

1394041424345»

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Lone wolf ran away, he bravely ran away (away)! When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely grabbed his friend and fled.

Fly you fools!

Neaden on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Runaway! RUNAWAY!

Reboot on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8

Page 147:You have retreated barely a dozen yards along the passage when suddenly a troop of Drakkarim appear in the distance, blocking your escape. They howl like demons and unshoulder their bows as they come rushing along the tunnel towards you.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If the number you have picked is 0, turn to 275.

If it is 1-3, turn to 283.

If it is 4-9, turn to 36.

(Random Number is 6)

Page 36: Arrows fly past you on all sides, forcing you to a halt.

'It's no good, Lone Wolf,' shouts Banedon, as he watches the Drakkarim advancing along the passage, 'we'll have to go back and take our chances in the pen.'

Cursing your predicament, you turn around and hurry back towards the waiting ambush. You are expecting to be attacked by more archers, yet as soon as you set foot inside the pen you are confronted by something totally unexpected. A faint sound above makes you look up, and, to your horror, you see a weighted net falling from the ceiling directly on to your heads.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you have Grand Huntmastery, and have reached the rank of Kai Grand Guardian, add 3 to the number you have picked.

If your total is now 0-4, turn to 27.

If it is 5 or higher, turn to 262.

Random is 3 so we win (barely).

Page 262: Hastily you push Banedon aside then dive to avoid the falling net, the sheer speed with which you react saving you both from becoming trapped like two foxes in a snare. Quickly you spring to your feet and rush to help your fallen companion. As you stoop to lift him, you hear a deep voice cursing you quietly in the shadows. You turn to face the voice, weapon in hand, ready to cut him down. But you are shocked to the core when you see who it is who emerges into the grey light of the pen.

Turn to 54.

Page 54: 'So we meet again, Lone Wolf.'

The words, full of hatred, are spoken by a tall, ancient figure, whose gaunt face is framed by a shock of platinum hair. It is Arch Druid Cadak, ruler of Mogaruith, the leader of the Cener Druids of Ruel.

'What is your purpose here, Cadak?' you growl in reply, your weapon raised in case he or his minions should attempt to rush you.

'I am ruler of this city now. After all, is it not fitting that I should inherit the legacy of the Darklords?' Cadak's whimsical mood seems to change for the worse, a change reflected in his voice.

'Your meddlesome intrusions have cost me dear, Kai Lord,' he hisses. 'We have a debt to settle and I intend to make you pay what you owe. I brought you here. It was my purpose. I have no interest in the inferior magic of this fool you call friend,' he says, sneering at Banedon, 'yet I knew he would be bait enough to lure you.'

Slowly he steps towards the shadows and you tense yourself, fearing an imminent attack.

'Now you will settle your debt . . .' he says, almost in a whisper, 'once and for all!'

He snaps his fingers and you hear the creak of a heavy iron door slowly opening. Then a low, snorting noise echoes through the pen, stirring the caged Kraan and Zlanbeast to sudden frenzy. You steel yourself and cast your eyes around in a desperate attempt to see what it is that is responsible for this sudden uproar. Then the cause emerges into the light and your blood runs ice cold in your veins when you look upon its terrible face.

Turn to 226.

Page 226: Emerging from the shadows with slow purposeful steps comes a huge rodent-like creature. Its mustard-coloured body and its six claw-tipped legs are thick and powerful, corded with muscle that ripples as it moves. Its head is monstrous, the jaw seeming too large for the skull. This entire bony structure extends beyond the lips and is studded with large spade-like teeth.

ill12.gif

It turns its great head to look at you with cruel deep-set eyes and an eerie cry breaks from its maw. Cadak laughs with undisguised glee and, upon his command, the creature gathers speed and attacks.

If you possess a Bow and wish to use it, turn to 199.

If you have Kai-alchemy and wish to use it, turn to 81.

If you have Magi-magic and wish to use it, turn to 307.

If you have neither a Bow nor the listed Disciplines, or choose not to use them, turn instead to 214.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm, let's try Alchemy.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Bow is Civilization!

Neaden on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bow. Pew pew.

Reboot on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have Bow will travel reads the card of the man.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    donkyhotaydonkyhotay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    we always use the bow, kai-alchemy.

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether
  • Options
    KathrisKathris __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    We are waaaaay too reliant on our cheat bow. Alchemy!

Kathris on
    673478-1.png
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I usually say bow, but let's see how alchemy is working today.

Darian on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Page 81: You utter the words of the spell Lightning Hand and point your right index finger at the creature's ugly head. You feel your arm tingling from the shoulder down, then a crackling mass of energy takes form at your fingertip. With a loud crack it arcs towards the oncoming beast and explodes full in its face, making it falter and cry out in pained surprise. But it does not delay its advance for very long. Its horny eyelids save its sight and quickly it recovers, now more determined to fulfil Cadak's command. Hastily you draw a hand weapon as the shadow of the beast falls upon you.

Turn to 128.

Well... that didn't work...

Page 128: With a manic cry, the creature lunges at your head in an attempt to impale you upon its shovel-like teeth. You sidestep the attack and lash out at its throat before it can dodge your blow. You strike and open a gash in the leathery hide, but it is shallow and does not deter the beast from launching a second attack.

Zavaghar: COMBAT SKILL 52 ENDURANCE 60

If, during this fight, your ENDURANCE score falls to below 12 points, do not continue the combat. Turn instead to 105.

If your ENDURANCE remains at 12 points or above and you win the combat, turn to 248.

Combat ratio: 44 +6 (Psi Surge) - 52 (Vodok's CS) = -2 D:
    Combat
    Your Random Number was: 5
    Your enemy took 6 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 54 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 3 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 37 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number was: 1
    Your enemy took 2 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 52 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 5 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 32 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number was: 3
    Your enemy took 4 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 48 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 4 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 28 Endurance Points.

Your enemy now has 46 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 5 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 23 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number was: 7
    Your enemy took 8 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 38 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 2 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 21 Endurance Points.

Your enemy now has 36 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 5 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 16 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number was: 6
    Your enemy took 7 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 29 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 2 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 14 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number was: 7
    Your enemy took 8 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 21 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 2 Damage!
    Lone Wolf now has 12 Endurance Points.

Your Random Number was: 0
    Your enemy took 11 Damage!
    Your enemy now has 10 Endurance Points.
    Lone Wolf took 0 Damage!

Your Random Number was: 9
    YOU HAVE DEFEATED YOUR ENEMY!
    Lone Wolf took 0 Damage!

Whew that was a close one. But hey, we qualify for the presumably good win!

Page 248: The Zavaghar shrieks in agony and comes crashing to the floor, its limbs flailing and its jaw chattering wildly as it ekes out the last throes of death.

'No! No! No!' screams Arch Druid Cadak, his voice filled with anger and bitter frustration. 'It cannot be! It cannot be!'

Madly he rushes across the pen and stares with open-mouthed incredulity at the carcass of the huge Zavaghar, his eyes wide with disbelief. Meanwhile, you have helped Banedon to his feet and the two of you have begun to hurry towards your means of escape which is still perched on the landing platform.

Suddenly, Cadak recovers from his shock and, seeing the two of you escaping, screams an order to his remaining Drakkarim to prevent you from getting away.

You reach the winged creature and, using your Magnakai skills, you manage to subdue it to your command. Arrows and crossbow bolts fly past, dangerously close, fired by those Drakkarim who have responded to Cadak's order. You try to ignore these missiles as you mount the Zlanbeast and heave Banedon roughly across its great scaly neck.

With a sharp kick, you urge the Zlanbeast into the air and, as it soars away from the platform, you glance back to see Cadak shaking his fist and screaming vile curses.

small11.gif

You laugh at his displeasure, but your laughter chokes in your throat when you notice a battery of heavy bolt-throwers lining the battlements above the pens. They are manned by Giak soldiers, and, as you fly past them, they discharge a cloud of deadly missiles.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If the number you have picked is 0-8, turn to 66.

If it is 9, turn to 341.

Random 3.

Page 66: You push down on the Zlanbeast's head and send it into a steep dive, a swift action which saves you from being knocked out of the sky by the cloud of deadly bolts. The streets of Kaag come rushing towards you with unnerving speed, but you control the winged creature skilfully, reining it in to level off in time to clear the ramparts of the South Gate. As you pass over this gate you catch sight of something strange yet wondrous to behold.

Turn to 350.

Woo!

Page 350: Below you is the South Gate of Kaag. Its surface is covered by the hide of Nyxator, preserved by the Darklords as a trophy of Naar's evil power. Nyxator was the first servant of the God Kai to appear on Magnamund and the form he chose to adopt was that of a great dragon. He was the first recipient of Kai's wisdom, a wisdom he encapsulated in the Lorestones for the future good of all who follow the way of Kai.

ill20.gif

You stare down at the face of your ancient ancestor and, for a fleeting moment, you detect the trace of a smile upon its fossilized lips. Then, in the next instant, you plunge into a bank of stormy grey cloud and the dread city of Kaag is lost to view.

By the time you find your way back to the Skyrider, the storm has blown itself out. Your return is met with cheers and joyous celebration for your quest has been a great success. Lord Rimoah is especially pleased and he praises you warmly:

'Against all odds,' he says, his voice filled with pride, 'you have rescued our friend from the nightmare fortress of Kaag and delivered him safely into the arms of his loyal crew.'

Congratulations, Grand Master Lone Wolf. You have triumphed once again, proving beyond doubt that you embody the ideals of the Kai. You have saved your closest friend from the clutches of the evil druid Cadak and confounded his plans.

Yet the fight against Evil goes ever on. Soon your courage and skills will be put to the test again, this time in a far distant realm of Magnamund. The nature of the quest and the perils that await you can be found in the next Grand Master adventure entitled:

The Darke Crusade

Well done everyone. That's it for this weekend, we'll see about the Crusade it a bit!

Tag on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So I took a look at the alternate routes for both the pre-fight attack and if the critter had dropped us below 12. Turns out none of the pre-fight abilities would've helped us, and as long as the beast didn't score an instakill we would've won.

In other news, I think a new thread should be made so that Tag can change the OP as needed.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, finally past Book 12.

This is unknown territory, even for me.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So I took a look at the alternate routes for both the pre-fight attack and if the critter had dropped us below 12. Turns out none of the pre-fight abilities would've helped us, and as long as the beast didn't score an instakill we would've won.

In other news, I think a new thread should be made so that Tag can change the OP as needed.

agreed, I think it's pretty obvious kelor is willing to let someone else take over the wolf pack.

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, any word on the possibility of a new thread?

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, please post a link here when the new thread is created.

donkyhotay on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I will, sorry I've been sick this week so I haven't sat down to start again yet. I hope to have the new thread / book going before the end of the week though.

Tag on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This thread isn't dead (yet)!

Sorry guys, I was sick last week and then went camping over labor day so I had no internet access. I will make a new thread with the new book sometime today hopefully.

Tag on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This thread is now dead. Long live the thread.

Tag on