As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do and see in England?

2»

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    sixthing cornwall as I am biased and live there

the eden project is aces, but if you want a really nice day out I suggest St. Ives by train

Beasteh on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beasteh wrote: »
    sixthing cornwall as I am biased and live there

the eden project is aces, but if you want a really nice day out I suggest St. Ives by train

Seventhing Cornwall as I was born there. Makre sure you see St Ives, Eden Project and Pendennis Castle.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Edinburgh is great, lived there for 18 months during my masters and loved every minute of it. Try and book really early to get their during the fringe festival though (i.e august) if you can find somewhere cheap enough (or consider this an aim for your trip - to find a friend with a floor you can crash on during it).

The ghost walks there are also fantastic, even as a godless scientist since they take you into sections of the undercity - originally built as storerooms under the old city, they proved to damp to be good warehouses so the poor took over, until the plague when they were built over and forgotten until relatively recently. Also, check out the Jekyl and Hyde pub, its a little wierd and a bit cheesy until you realise you need the loo.

Edinburgh is pretty amazing actually, definitely reccomend it if you want a city break. It's hard to say which I think is better between the three cities I've had the fortune to live in but I'd say Edinburgh, Brighton then Cambridge. All are completely strange in their own way though for ridiculous reasons. Still, I'd put Cornwall above all those three - its probably the most unique place in Britain once you get away from the normal touristy things.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edward elizabeth hitleredward elizabeth hitler Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    GOOGLE isambard kingdom brunel , he designed lots of stuff up and down the country . also burke and ohare they were body snatchers and murderers , the edinburgh vaults , or even spring heeled jack ? you will probably find the people more interesting more than the places

edward elizabeth hitler on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GOOGLE isambard kingdom brunel , he designed lots of stuff up and down the country . also burke and ohare they were body snatchers and murderers , the edinburgh vaults , or even spring heeled jack ? you will probably find the people more interesting more than the places

Brunel is pretty neat. You could start off at Paddington Station in London, the terminus of his railway company and work your way west out to Bristol

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!