As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania HoD - I'm interested in this!

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So after running Hard Chapter 5 last night for like an hour I got to Yatsasunas, and now my Alucard is about 5x stronger than both Jonathan and Shanoa who I invested roughly 25x as much time into.

Nice.

Walt on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    So after running Hard Chapter 5 last night for like an hour I got to Yatsasunas, and now my Alucard is about 5x stronger than both Jonathan and Shanoa who I invested roughly 25x as much time into.

Nice.

Jonathan is useless. My friend plays one and he pretty much does nothing while I run around with my Claimh Solais destroying everything in one or two hits and my other friend is Alucard and just slicing up the world with the Yasutsunas. Its silly to play as Jonathan. Shanoa though can actually be very godly and I've seen some amazing ones myself. Just....Jonathon and Charlotte are pretty useless in my opinion.

Edit: Oh and yeah, it doesnt take much to make an Alucard good.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited August 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    I haven't gotten a single 5-star drop off of Dracula (...except for food...) and I've killed him a ton. I can't even get him to drop his soul for Soma when wearing double Soul Eaters (it's the only spell in the game I don't have). Vlad definately has a grudge against me for that Shield Rod+Alucard Shield combo I pulled on him back in SotN.

I did get the Kadalbolg(sp?) for Soma though, which is a 4-star drop and fairly decent. It's only two points weaker than the Longilus spear I was using but hits much faster (though I don't think it's holy like the spear and has pretty bad range and no special so I may go back to the spear).

See, my friends and I can do Drac runs in about 4:30 on Hard so we can do very many very fast, try joining sometime. Usually play late night on the weekends after I get out of work. Its rare that you get a good Drac drop but nice when you finally do, trust me. Double Soul Eaters is useless because mainly it doesnt seem to increase shit and just lowers your stats. Dont even use em. I have 9 Drac souls and I dont use any. Just got my final one last night. Drac runs are all about perfect no damage and super fast time. Thats the only way to increase the extremely low odds of something awesome. Doing solo runs that take long are almost useless because they take much longer without a couple more people able to wail on the boss.

mastrius on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    *sigh* Well I can now beat Dracula's first and second forms with no real problem (every so often I'll be hit by either the ball of death + flame pillar combo in the first form, or the curse things in the second, but it's not often).

But his third form is absolutely kicking my ass. How the hell do you beat that? It seems like I can't melee it because he moves a centimeter and I'm getting hit. Plus when I try to do that he does his omega explosion thing that one-shots me. But that leaves standing out and waiting for mana to recharge for lightning attacks, which takes too long. I get slaughtered by those rainbow triangles.

So any tips? (this is still with Shanoa). I went back to Chapter 5 and grabbed a second Moonstone for the extra stat boost, but is there a better accessory or something I should be using? I tried a guerilla approach by stocking 3 mind potions instead of health and spamming him with lightning but it was no good unfortunately :( I really have no clue - the biggest problem is I can't seem to hit him most of the time because of those damn giant hands he has.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mastrius wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »
    I haven't gotten a single 5-star drop off of Dracula (...except for food...) and I've killed him a ton. I can't even get him to drop his soul for Soma when wearing double Soul Eaters (it's the only spell in the game I don't have). Vlad definately has a grudge against me for that Shield Rod+Alucard Shield combo I pulled on him back in SotN.

I did get the Kadalbolg(sp?) for Soma though, which is a 4-star drop and fairly decent. It's only two points weaker than the Longilus spear I was using but hits much faster (though I don't think it's holy like the spear and has pretty bad range and no special so I may go back to the spear).

See, my friends and I can do Drac runs in about 4:30 on Hard so we can do very many very fast, try joining sometime. Usually play late night on the weekends after I get out of work. Its rare that you get a good Drac drop but nice when you finally do, trust me. Double Soul Eaters is useless because mainly it doesnt seem to increase shit and just lowers your stats. Dont even use em. I have 9 Drac souls and I dont use any. Just got my final one last night. Drac runs are all about perfect no damage and super fast time. Thats the only way to increase the extremely low odds of something awesome. Doing solo runs that take long are almost useless because they take much longer without a couple more people able to wail on the boss.

May have to hit you up tonight for some Alucard runs on hard. My best armor is Demon Mail or Alucard Mail, and I'd like to get something better. The best weapon I have is either Kaiser Knuckles or Osafune (depending on my mood/strategy).

What sort of Attack boost does Yats give?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ZachVeedleZachVeedle Common Writer HenshinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is the weapon that... looks like continuous blue waves coming out of the character? Soma and Alucard use it.

ZachVeedle on
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yats or Valmanway, can't remember which... but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Vorpal Sword does that. That's what I'm rocking at the moment since I haven't found a Yats.

antherem on
    edited August 2010
    So, just to clarify: The only way to Level Up Alucard is through equipment, right? Or does leveling his souls provide a boost too?

Damn you Konami and your lack of a guide! Unless there is a guide and I haven't found it. Which means it's in the game menu.

Capt Howdy on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    *sigh* Well I can now beat Dracula's first and second forms with no real problem (every so often I'll be hit by either the ball of death + flame pillar combo in the first form, or the curse things in the second, but it's not often).

But his third form is absolutely kicking my ass. How the hell do you beat that? It seems like I can't melee it because he moves a centimeter and I'm getting hit. Plus when I try to do that he does his omega explosion thing that one-shots me. But that leaves standing out and waiting for mana to recharge for lightning attacks, which takes too long. I get slaughtered by those rainbow triangles.

So any tips? (this is still with Shanoa). I went back to Chapter 5 and grabbed a second Moonstone for the extra stat boost, but is there a better accessory or something I should be using? I tried a guerilla approach by stocking 3 mind potions instead of health and spamming him with lightning but it was no good unfortunately :( I really have no clue - the biggest problem is I can't seem to hit him most of the time because of those damn giant hands he has.

In the first form, basically anytime you can't jump behind him, you want to just jumpkick off his head repeatedly (sorry Charlotte). That will allow you to dodge pretty much everything he has.

For the final form, you can run under the hands when he's not moving (no need to slide under them). The best place to attack with weapons and Nitesco is standing just left of the bottom head (standing on the right makes it a lot more likely for you to get hit if he suddenly decides to do triangles since he doesn't really telegraph that until the triangle appears). Shanoa can also stand outside his hands and jump in the air to hit him with lightning.

To dodge his attacks (on normal):
    Flame Pillars = Easy, just start at one side and move to the other. You'll have to slide under the hands if they're still close together (though you can smack his shoulders during this).

Demonic Meggido = Just run to the outside when he makes the giant white glyph. This is only really hard to dodge in Hard when he adds all the flame pillars. If you're short on time, double jump to the wall as soon as you get past the hands since the attack is dome-shaped this will give you more room to avoid it.

Double Flame Waves = Just run outside his hands and double jump over one of them. This one has a giant red glyph when he's casting.

Multi-directional lasers = I believe this one is the giant blue glyph an him screaming "Raargh!" Either duck directly beneath him or at the sides where the carpet ends (center your character on the line between the carpet and stone floor...note Alucard is taller and needs more precise positioning).

Charm = ...pain in the ass. Just react to it as best you can. Sometimes you can just crouch in a corner and it'll miss you, but if Dracula is not centered it can still hit you. If you get hit by this as Shanoa he's pretty much guaranteed to hit you with his next attack since it lasts so long.

Triangles = I tend to dodge them in two's. Double jump over two, then jump kick to the ground before the next one hits you and two should fly over your head, then double jump over the next two and so on.

If you farm Lapiste or Pneuma off the level 4 or 5 bosses it will make it easier since they both hit harder and have better range than Shanoa's rapier.

Lars on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've only had him do Charm once. It lasted a ridiculous amount of time, but he didn't do anything to me - I just stood there until it wore off :P I may have just been in a good spot though.

I may have to farm a better weapon - I'm still using the default one. How do you run under him though? I tried that once and got smacked around by his hands. Sliding under them works but it seemed like he would always move and hit me as soon as I got into a position to attack.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    His hand will glow before he swipes with it. As long as he's not doing that or bringing his hands together to charge for a big attack you should be able to just run under them.

Though he does float up and down slightly so maybe I've just been extraordinarily lucky and always walked under them when he's floating up.

Lars on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did they ever explain why Charlotte doesn't have the jumpkick? I don't remember if she had it in PoR.

I finally ditched Charlotte and started working on Shanoa. Are Pneuma's really that rare? I managed to get Lapiste x2 in about half an hour, but still no Pneuma's after like 3 hours of killing Death repeatedly.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    Shooting for the $1Mil achievement. Almost there....

Anyone remember what drop Hell Fire for Alucard?

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Capt you want yasutsune, two to be exact. With two you can run around while attacking constantly in a very nast barrage of constant 40s - 50s. Its really nasty strong and the most excellent way to kill. I have 6 right now, too bad you cant give things.

mastrius on
    edited August 2010
    Those drop in Chapter 4 hard, right? I'm currently aiming to max out Alucards spells. I'm at 8 on Soul Steal and Summon Spirit. I'll get those maxed as soon as I jump on. But I haven't gotten a single Hell Fire drop. I need to figure out what to target for that.

Capt Howdy on
  • SojornSojorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Those drop in Chapter 4 hard, right? I'm currently aiming to max out Alucards spells. I'm at 8 on Soul Steal and Summon Spirit. I'll get those maxed as soon as I jump on. But I haven't gotten a single Hell Fire drop. I need to figure out what to target for that.

This seems ridiculous to me, but the single drop that got me the only Hellfire I've found was on a Drac hard mode run.

Sojorn on
    XBox Live: NBKHavoc | Facebook | Sorry for the sig, it's just temporary. =)
    edited August 2010
    I just read that Hell Fire drops on Chapter 3, Hard and Normal, form purple chests and the Gold Chest.

Freaking figures Vorporal and Yats drop from Drac; thats the only bastard I have a hard time dropping.

Capt Howdy on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just read that Hell Fire drops on Chapter 3, Hard and Normal, form purple chests and the Gold Chest.

Freaking figures Vorporal and Yats drop from Drac; thats the only bastard I have a hard time dropping.

Have more luck picking up a Yats from Chapter 5 on Hard.

Hylianbunny on
    edited August 2010

Have more luck picking up a Yats from Chapter 5 on Hard.

Yes, do chapter 5 Hard. Also you can even grab one from a chest in Chapter 5. The one to the right of death to the upper left of the harpies and dullahan. Its next to some Caviar. That can give a Yats. And Death runs are easy to. I'll most likely be playing tonight. Send me a friend request. Gamertag is Mastrius9087.

I have work from now until 9:30 Pm so I'll be a little bit.

mastrius on
    edited August 2010
    Picked up the mercury boots, they let you run twice as fast as normal. Good stuff. It dropped on Chapt 6, Normal.

I keep contemplating creating a Guide for Alucard.

Capt Howdy on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh, I wish I had mercury or winged boots. They never drop for me.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Ugh, I wish I had mercury or winged boots. They never drop for me.

The only thing I did different when I got the Mercury boots was get Konami Man. I wasn't wearing any luck boosting stuff, so my luck was at 6. It also wasn't a straight through, quick as I can run either. I opened all the chests, killed all but two maybe three baddies. I want to say I only took 4 hits before I got to Drac.

People keep saying that speed and not getting hit is vital for the really rare items, but the Mercury boots I think are only four stars. I'll have to check. Also. Drac Normal drops Hell Fire.

Edit - And Pardon my constant updates on what I'm getting. I'm sort of using this as a database in case I actually do an Alucard guide. And I figure some people are wondering the same stuff I am/was.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Anyone up for some games? I'm not really looking for anything in particular (Maybe Vorpal Sword), and any chapter is fine.

ZachVeedle on
    edited August 2010
    I'm down throw tehpreest an invite.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    I am torn between running Drac as Jonathan for Simon's Plate or running 3, 5 and 6 as Alucard for Chaos Ring, Death's Robes, and Valmanway. WHAT DO I DO?!

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    Got Yats from Chapt 5 Hard, Purple chest behind the fire! Sweet!! Also got Berserker mail from Death and my second moonstone from the treasure before Death. I just can't see Berserker mail being worth the Def loss.

Got God's Garb from Chapt 6 Hard, 1st Purple Chest. It boosts all you resistances, but I like the Demon Mail's def boost better.

Also, didn't anyone else know the Medusa Heads are not infinite? I took to clearing them out for the body count and was shocked when they stopped coming.

Capt Howdy on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didn't know the medusa heads weren't infinite, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I heard the imps by the switch at the top of level 3 aren't infinite either.

I still need to get the Grim Synergy and Poetic Justice achievements, so if anyone else needs them feel free to message me online.

SteevL on
    edited August 2010
    Got Yats from Chapt 5 Hard, Purple chest behind the fire! Sweet!! Also got Berserker mail from Death and my second moonstone from the treasure before Death. I just can't see Berserker mail being worth the Def loss.

Got God's Garb from Chapt 6 Hard, 1st Purple Chest. It boosts all you resistances, but I like the Demon Mail's def boost better.

Also, didn't anyone else know the Medusa Heads are not infinite? I took to clearing them out for the body count and was shocked when they stopped coming.

Berserker Mail is godly for me as Soma. I use the Claimh Solias and do around 250 a hit normal with it. On drac I do 200 - 500. You can only get hit like 2-3 times before dying, maybe less, (especially if its Drac) but hey, thats what no hit runs are for!

mastrius on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd really like to see future levels have more puzzle\teamwork elements. At least the kind where you need another player to throw a switch, etc.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited August 2010
    I'd really like to see future levels have more puzzle\teamwork elements. At least the kind where you need another player to throw a switch, etc.

If the multiplayer changed the layout of the levels to be more teambased, that would be a nice feature, but I don't think they would make a level that required two people to play. It wouldn't go well with the people who only play single player.

Edit - I meant it like single player and multiplayer levels would be slightly different.

ZachVeedle on
    edited August 2010
    mastrius wrote: »

Berserker Mail is godly for me as Soma. I use the Claimh Solias and do around 250 a hit normal with it. On drac I do 200 - 500. You can only get hit like 2-3 times before dying, maybe less, (especially if its Drac) but hey, thats what no hit runs are for!

I'm not sure Alucard's long range attacks are good enough to not get hit by Drac 2 times. Or I'M not good enough with Alucard. One or the other.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Got the Moon Rod from Chapt 5 Hard.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Got the Moon Rod from Chapt 5 Hard.
    I got it, and I sold it for the gold achievement. Take that 5 star rarity!

I maxed Jonathan today. It was grueling, and for anyone who wants to play Jonathan I advise them to consider a more fun activity such as pounding nails through their dicks.

But on the plus side, I whip things for at least 94 damage. Once I get a chaos ring I can start spamming specials like there's no tomorrow.

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    Chaos ring doesn't exist Walt. All we get are mana prisms and super potions.

IvanIssacs on
    edited August 2010
    IvanIssacs wrote: »
    Chaos ring doesn't exist Walt. All we get are mana prisms and super potions.

I've gotten 7 Chaos Rings so far. I want to say Chapt 6 Hard, but I'm probably wrong. Things are blurring together thanks to muscle relaxers and pain killers. Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010
    Chaos Ring only drops from Menace. Other drops in his table include Super Potion and Mana Prism. And profound disappointment.

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    Thats why I have so many.

Thinking about doing some Chpt 5 Hard runs tonight if ayone else had the same idea. I can only get 2 of the 3 purple chests, and I really want my second Yast. Plus I need to kill a boss by.... the merge move. (Stupid morning brain)

And if anyone feels like getting infected so I can kill you for an achievement, that would be dandy.

Capt Howdy on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really like this game, but I despise the general community. It's impossible to get a game going, really. I have yet to beat level 5 because people either bail before we finish or want to do hard mode (which I can't get to yet). I mean, I get it... but if anyone here wants to help me get there, I'd appreciate it. I play Johnathon, which is tough in itself...

DietarySupplement on
    edited August 2010
    I really like this game, but I despise the general community. It's impossible to get a game going, really. I have yet to beat level 5 because people either bail before we finish or want to do hard mode (which I can't get to yet). I mean, I get it... but if anyone here wants to help me get there, I'd appreciate it. I play Johnathon, which is tough in itself...

You can hit me up later tonight (9:00 PM EST) and I can help you through normal and hard, my XBL tag is Top Hat Panda.

Walt on