As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's been made pretty clear from what I've read that Dragon Age II will have a full character creator... the only limitation is that Hawke must be human.

Hawke doesn't even have to be male so yes, hopefully the beard is optional.

could you provide a citation for this character creator thing?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The DA2 FAQ mentions -
    What will my character be like?
    Your character in Dragon Age 2 will be a legendary figure in the history of Thedas. Not only will you hear people respond to your conversations, but your character will also be be fully-voiced. You will play as a human male or female of any class you wish: Warrior, Mage or Rogue.

I'm also familiar with some sort of podcast interview, in which they've mentioned they've worked on the face design and stuff.

Just about to start a 2nd run-through of DA:O with DLC, in anticipation of the Morrigan DLC. Think I'll probably use 'Skip the Fade'; It's no Irenicus' Dungeon, but the more I think about it the less I want to have to do it again, for some reason. I have enough concerns about another play-through being different enough to my first already, so the quicker I can get to the parts I can handle differently and the DLC, the better.

Gone for a 2-H/Ranged Human Noble (Who I have to say, looks quite a lot like Hawke, and I made him a long time ago). Planning to use Leliana (Grabbing her DLC, and didn't use her in first run), and possibly Zevran, maybe even the Dog...Generally anyone that I didn't use extensively beforehand - Sten, Shale and Morrigan. I don't particularly like Wynne, but I'm wondering about that 4th slot if I go with the 2 Rogues. A tank, or a mage? Or spec Wynne into an Arcane Warrior later on?

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »
    Origins was totally better if you played a black character. Start a black human noble. Do it.

I did this. Man...did I stand out...

:lol:
    I'm not here to judge.

It just begs questions.
    I started a human Noble that was basically older than my father in-game. It's kind of fun to see grey old dad calling me "pup" when I look like I should be his grandfather. I guess that the Couslands just didn't want to upset their senile old gramps :P

EDIT: Dear Lord, I had forgotten how crappy 2-H was compared to dualweilding or sword and board. I really hope that the 2-H weapon style gets a bit more love from the developers in DA2.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like how
    most of the Archdemon and Harvester (though the latter has some pretty damn tough minions, as opposed to the cannon fodder the Archdemon tosses your way) fights
    boils down to that. Gotta love enemy spam.

eh, I never even noticed them in Golems dlc.

Oh there's a regular enemy hitting me? *thorns* *dead*

Okay, back to business...

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wynne is a boring character, but she's nice and I fucking hate Morrigan. I mostly just use a mage cause haste makes travel less tedious.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wynne is a boring character, but she's nice and I fucking hate Morrigan. I mostly just use a mage cause haste makes travel less tedious.
    I'm not much of a Wynne fan but guess I never really hit it off with religious types in real life as well so I guess it's to be expected. I always make a point of talking shit about my time in the tower as a Mage when I speak to her. Why yes, I sure do love living locked up in a tower, waiting for a bunch of releigious zealots with a substance addiction to decide that their god/spirit/gnome whispering in their ear wants me dead since I'm an abomination and should be purged.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I'm not much of a Wynne fan but guess I never really hit it off with religious types in real life as well so I guess it's to be expected. I always make a point of talking shit about my time in the tower as a Mage when I speak to her. Why yes, I sure do love living locked up in a tower, waiting for a bunch of releigious zealots with a substance addiction to decide that their god/spirit/gnome whispering in their ear wants me dead since I'm an abomination and should be purged.
    Uhm... Wynne isn't particularly religious either. Much to Leliana's surprise.

She's just sort of OK with the Circle, that's all.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah... heh. My first playthrough I was a mage and Wynne got smart with me so quick that she ended up a bloodspot on the floor.

I didn't even know she was a playable character until I saw you guys talking about it :D .

Derrick on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wynne was a very pushy and judgmental woman. one time i tried to bring her alone just to see if i could but i couldn't and ended up beheading her in the temple of sacred ashes

every other time it's "This tower must burn." and off goes her head every time i stroll over to the circle tower

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm interested in picking up DA:O, but a keeping hearing about a game of the year edition that will include all the DLC on disc. Anyone have any more information, or should I just hold my breath?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah yes. The opportunity to kill Morrigan. Looking forward to it with great anticipation.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, Wynne is amazing you're all insane.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

If I ever get around to another playthrough I'll probably use her.

Problem is... I already played through as a mage and I don't really see a point playing through as anything else. I've tried rogue but only got about halfway.

I was thinking maybe 3 mage it with wynne as an Arcane Warrior and Shale as the totem form deal (never used that before).

Derrick on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wynne is nice because she's not "I HAVE ISSUES HERP DERP" like some other characters. She keeps her shit to herself and only bothers you with it if you ask her to.

Now that I think about it she is a pretty unusual character for a Bioware game.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Also she quite the magical bosom, or so Zev tell me.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Really? When I asked her about the circle and how she ended up there she was pretty much all "boy, the Chantry sure is awesome and we mages need to be supervised by our fantastic Templar friends". I have to agree that it's funny as hell to drive her up the wall with stupid questions such as "Gryphons?".

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Really? When I asked her about the circle and how she ended up there she was pretty much all "boy, the Chantry sure is awesome and we mages need to be supervised by our fantastic Templar friends". I have to agree that it's funny as hell to drive her up the wall with stupid questions such as "Gryphons?".

Which is interesting because I've heard people say that
    that Wynne is an abomination

though that may be bullshit.

Derrick on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well she has a
    spirit in her, but not a demon

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Zephyr wrote: »
    well she has a

Ah. Well then.
    She is.

Hmm... now I'm actually interested in using her. Is there any point that her story comes to a head? I used Shale until after clearing the deep roads... after which... well you know what can happen.

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    well she has a

Ah. Well then.
    She is.

Hmm... now I'm actually interested in using her. Is there any point that her story comes to a head? I used Shale until after clearing the deep roads... after which... well you know what can happen.
    No, she isn't. Spirits =/= Demons. Abominations are mages that have been taken over by demons.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    well she has a

Ah. Well then.
    She is.

No, she isn't. Spirits =/= Demons. Abominations are mages that have been taken over by demons.
    Not necessarily. Flemeth isn't a weak-willed pussy mage, and as such when she made a pact with a fade denizen, it just made her stronger when they merged. Justice isn't an abom, because the human side is dead already so there was no merger or deal to be made. Otherwise I would argue that he is.

Derrick on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well she has a

Ah. Well then.
    She is.

She has a personal quest once she likes you enough, that has you go to the Dalish/Brecillian Forest, nothing quite as life-changing and/or final as the other party members though.

...and I can see why some people might think that she is the religious one, as she is the only one who
    Always leaves or trys to kills you after you defile the Urn of Sacred Ashes

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeryphSeryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That buff that Wynne gets actually allows her to be the most damaging character in the game. There's a video on YouTube of her one-shotting one of the harder bosses on Nightmare difficulty.

Seryph on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It's not that I don't like her, I do like her a lot. She's nice, gives advice, is useful. She's just, well, boring.

Nothing wrong with that either really, we don't need every character to have super drama. But like I've said before, I like my older womens to be cynical and pragmatic.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I like about Wynne is that she actually asks about you. She cares about where you come from and your opinions. Everyone else is that friend that can't stop going on and on about themselves. Oh, please, tell me all about the history of Orlais or Antiva or the Chantry or the Wilds. Yes, never give me an opportunity to break into this conversation.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    RIght? Wynne let you ask questions of her and asks you questions about yourself.

She's a pistol, too.

"How did you become a mage?"
    "I set a boy on fire."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Man, is the Hurloc Vanguard from Darkspawn Chroniclesa a bad sword and board build or are you simply really damn slow to kill stuff with that particular weapon style?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Man, is the Hurloc Vanguard from Darkspawn Chroniclesa a bad sword and board build or are you simply really damn slow to kill stuff with that particular weapon style?

I don't have that DLC. What do his stats look like?

People that pump strength report good results with S&B, but it'll never be like a rogue. S&B is a tank spec first.

Derrick on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

People that pump strength report good results with S&B, but it'll never be like a rogue. S&B is a tank spec first.

My first playthrough I did S&B and, somehow built the character in such a strange way that in fights I'd end up being the only one left alive, but I would take barely any damage and would just slaughter through everything that was left. This happened many a time in the deep roads.

RE: Wynne

In terms of character's writing I like Wynne so much more than Morrigan simply because of how annoying Morrigan will get after the first time. Leliana is pretty good too though.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    well she has a

Ah. Well then.
    She is.

She has a personal quest once she likes you enough, that has you go to the Dalish/Brecillian Forest, nothing quite as life-changing and/or final as the other party members though.

...and I can see why some people might think that she is the religious one, as she is the only one who

In regards to the spoiler...
    I actually had both Wynne and Leliana jump me during the Defiling. Was interesting having half of my party turn on me + the guardian, but at least they let you loot all their stuff when you kill them.

Arcus on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like how
    most of the Archdemon and Harvester (though the latter has some pretty damn tough minions, as opposed to the cannon fodder the Archdemon tosses your way) fights

They sent out boss level skeletons that hit as hard as the actual boss on occasion. Even the elites could swarm you to death pretty easily.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like how

They sent out boss level skeletons that hit as hard as the actual boss on occasion. Even the elites could swarm you to death pretty easily.

On Nightmare maybe? I was playing normal.

Derrick on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I just finished the deep roads with my S&B on hard. Party I went with was Ogrhen, Sten, and Dog.

By the end I had 0 injuries, and every other member in the party had at least 5. Honestly it probably has alot to do with me favoring my main, but alot of it certainly has to do with the S&B style.

Oh and stens damage stat is 42 while mine is 39... I don't get the big hits, but sustained damage is pretty close.

edit: As for wynne, I initially considered her boring. Old wise healer woman. It has boring written all over it. But once I talked with her and had her in the party for awhile I had a change of heart. Some of the better out-of-dialog dialog comes from her.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I just finished the deep roads with my S&B on hard. Party I went with was Ogrhen, Sten, and Dog.

By the end I had 0 injuries, and every other member in the party had at least 5. Honestly it probably has alot to do with me favoring my main, but alot of it certainly has to do with the S&B style.

Oh and stens damage stat is 42 while mine is 39... I don't get the big hits, but sustained damage is pretty close.

edit: As for wynne, I initially considered her boring. Old wise healer woman. It has boring written all over it. But once I talked with her and had her in the party for awhile I had a change of heart. Some of the better out-of-dialog dialog comes from her.

Why do people keep thinking he's talking about the Warden, he's talking about the Darkspawn Vanguard in the DLC. You can't adjust his stats or any other darkspawns stats, they are fixed. Unless you get a mod that I don't know about. Truth be told, once you can recruit an emissary, control him and keep your ogre alive.

On nightmare, the last fight can be rough, you have to deal with Alistair, Barkspawn (lawls) Morrigan, and Leliana. You also have a constant stream of werewolves to deal with. I took out Alistiar and it was pretty much over.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like how

On Nightmare maybe? I was playing normal.

Oh, right. Yeah there's a pretty massive difference between even normal and hard against him.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really? When I asked her about the circle and how she ended up there she was pretty much all "boy, the Chantry sure is awesome and we mages need to be supervised by our fantastic Templar friends".
    Your mild hyperbole doesn't change the fact that, while she might be OK with the Circle (since making it more likely for Abominations to show up is a bad thing), Wynne just doesn't really believe in the Maker. She's just very mellow about it, unlike Morrigan.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arcus wrote: »

I actually had both Wynne and Leliana jump me during the Defiling. Was interesting having half of my party turn on me + the guardian, but at least they let you loot all their stuff when you kill them.
    I also had Leliana flip on me when I defiled the urn. The fact that she and my Warden were a couple didn't seem to matter. Luckily, I was just achievement-whoring, and I had saved before the decision. I really can't stand killing party members.

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really? When I asked her about the circle and how she ended up there she was pretty much all "boy, the Chantry sure is awesome and we mages need to be supervised by our fantastic Templar friends".
    Your mild hyperbole doesn't change the fact that, while she might be OK with the Circle (since making it more likely for Abominations to show up is a bad thing), Wynne just doesn't really believe in the Maker. She's just very mellow about it, unlike Morrigan.
    I'd say it's more she believes but doesn't worship.
    Leliana: You are not religious, yes? You do not believe?
    Wynne: I do, to some extent. It does not govern my life, however. Why do you ask?
    Leliana: Oh, nothing. You are just a very good person, and it shows, and I thought at first you were religious, like some of the revered mothers. But no, I thought about it and I realized that you are not.
    Wynne: I do what I do because I enjoy it; because I enjoy teaching others, helping them. I do not seek recognition for my works. I do not seek the approval of my peers, nor the approval of a distant god.
    Leliana: That is admirable, doing good for its own sake. Some I knew were not like that. They bragged about what they did, trying to impress others. "Oh, Lady Adele, you fed and clothed twenty orphans, how noble!" "No, no, it is nothing, Lady Clarabelle. You treated forty lepers, and gave them massages!" Like a competition, with false modesty. Sickening.
    Wynne: Er, did Lady Clarabelle really give forty lepers massages?
    Leliana: Who knows. Lady Clarabelle had strange tastes. I wouldn't be surprised if she did that, and more.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Samm1ch wrote: »
    Arcus wrote: »

I also had Leliana flip on me when I defiled the urn. The fact that she and my Warden were a couple didn't seem to matter. Luckily, I was just achievement-whoring, and I had saved before the decision. I really can't stand killing party members.

I did it with the intent to unlock Reaver then reload, and the results certainly surprised me.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    About Heraldry in Awakenings, I noticed that putting the Cousland design on my shield gave me a +3 bonus to all my attributes, but a Legion of the Dead design gave me something like +20.

Do all Heraldries give different bonuses? And if so, does anyone know what they are?

WotanAnubis on