As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will's sleepytime [chat]

KilroyKilroy timaeusTestifiedRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i approve of this.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's a shame Will's going to bed, because I was going to reassure him that living comfortably is not a vice.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God damn I've forgotten how wonderful good wheat bread can be. Whole wheat with honey, ham, roast beef, salami, mayo, and the last slice of Swiss, grilled up in the Express for 5 minutes - oh god, I ain't had a sandwich this good since my bitchin' catered college days. <3

The Cherry Crush I got with it kinda' sucks, though.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hell, I wouldn't consider living extravagantly a vice as long as you were genuinely enjoying each part of it.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    God damn I've forgotten how wonderful good wheat bread can be. Whole wheat with honey, ham, roast beef, salami, mayo, and the last slice of Swiss, grilled up in the Express for 5 minutes - oh god, I ain't had a sandwich this good since my bitchin' catered college days. <3

There's a really awesome bakery about an hour's drive from where I live. I go there every few months to remind myself what real bread tastes like.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hell, I wouldn't consider living extravagantly a vice as long as you were genuinely enjoying each part of it.

This is extraordinarily difficult to measure, but after talking to particular happiness researchers I've come to the conclusion that 'living extravagantly' does not do very much for your general enjoyment--certainly not as much as you would naively think. Happiness is proportional with money only up until a very minimal threshold--past that the correlation largely dies.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Blargh, I need to go to bed.

Goodnight, best [chat].

Kilroy on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MrMister wrote: »

This is extraordinarily difficult to measure, but after talking to particular happiness researchers I've come to the conclusion that 'living extravagantly' does not do very much for your general enjoyment--certainly not as much as you would naively think. Happiness is proportional with money only up until a very minimal threshold--past that the correlation largely dies.

You really are awesome.

However, I would say that you have to differentiate between money and the spending of it.

I've never thought stuff would make me happy, and never pursued money. I don't have a car, the most expensive thing I own is a PC. I would like to own a home, mostly because it's going to be harder to pay rent when I'm old than get a mortgage paid off.

We buy very little and we never shop recreationally. In fact almost everything we own except food is bought online.

But I'm pissed off because I don't have much money. If I had money all it would buy me would be security, a feeling of safety, and perhaps a slightly better education for my daughter. Oh, and I might not have to work so hard and could get better education.

I feel that when I was young and uninterested in materialism I should have realised that while possessions don't make you happy, money can help.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »

There's a really awesome bakery about an hour's drive from where I live. I go there every few months to remind myself what real bread tastes like.
    There's an Italian place near here, Costanza's I think, that the Misses is simply nuts for (though why I can't see, while it's mostly nice Italian bread it's Italian nevertheless). Wegmans' baged stuff is absolutly divine, though, and for what it's worth Walmart's got this wonderful French with Garlic and Parm or Sundried Tomato (but not both, sadly) that makes for the best fucking subs and stuff.

But honestly, as long as the bread ain't fuckin' white or Italian, it's good in my book.

Sorenson on