As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Suggest On] Chess (or other turn based multiplayer mobile games) on the go.

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
So I was thinking of trying to find a game I can play with a friend when I'm on the train, or have a spare minute at work, or on the toilet. I've got access to a Windows Mobile Phone and an iPod (with Wifi pretty much everywhere) and I'd prefer something cross platform as most of my friends use an Android phone.

What I'm after is a turn based game that doesn't require a constant connection. So a game whereby I can submit my moves, he'll receive it and can make a move back. If we both drop offline then I don't want progress to be lost. I thought chess would fit pretty much perfectly in to this.

I used to play email chess which I guess I could do now, but it's not exactly ideal for on the go (being I'd have to have a copy of the board etc).

So are there any chess clients that allow this? Or any other games that fit the bill.

I've googled but can't seem to find anything that matches what I'm after.

::Edit:: We've been teaming up on Urban Dead, which has been fun, so any browser games like that.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    ZenchessZenchess Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can play correspondence chess at chess.com. I assume it will work on your devices.

Zenchess on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Perhaps Weewar? It's kinda like Advance Wars on a hex grid. Battles take a while, but I guess if you're already playing Chess, that's not an issue.

There's also something called Advance Wars By Web which appears to be a browser-based blend of the two GBA games.

Frem on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cheers guys!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chess.com is one of my favorites for exactly what you're describing. You can also look at redhotpawn.com

Michael H on