As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How the hell can I start reading X-Men?

RavagerRavager Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Graphic Violence
Ok, I used to be a huge X-Men fan many years ago but stopped a long time ago. Is there any good way to get up to speed with the series and start reading the new issues that come out? With all the different crossovers and versions of X-Men, its really confusing. I know of Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, New X-Men, and X-Men Unlimited. I think there are others related to the X-Men that have different names. Is there any way to get up to speed on the universe by reading trades? If so, which ones are the most necessary? How far should I go back? Also, once I am up to speed, which books in the X-Men story line are the ones I need to read? I know the storylines in the various books overlap and you need to read all to get the full story. How do you know which ones to read? Which one is the main one?

BTW, I read Civil War and thought it was pretty terrible. Is the current run of X-Men better than this?

Ravager on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Begin Astonishing now, and read everything since 1.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Buy this

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think getting up to speed ought to be less of a priority than reading the best stories you missed. I mean, at the end of the day, isn't the point to read good stories?

Anyway, on top of Astonishing, you ought to check out Grant Morrison's New X-Men (not to be confused with New X-Men with young mutants). Don't read any spoilers on it, though.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think getting up to speed ought to be less of a priority than reading the best stories you missed. I mean, at the end of the day, isn't the point to read good stories?

This is true. Aside from Astonishing and New X-Men, which ones are good? Ive heard House of M is good (someone told me it is directly leading into a new story arc too). Ill probably pick up the Age of Apocalypse eventually too. Anything else?

Ravager on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    X-Men: Rogue led group, has an interesting line up, not bad art, very odd stories.
    Uncanny X-Men: Don't bother till the current arc is over. It's a 12 parter and it's on 11 or so.
    New X-Men: Try and get the trades after House of M... I personally love New X-Men... it has the younger generation and X-23 (who grows on you)
    X-Factor: BUY THIS NOW
    Astonishing: BUY THIS NOW

done.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If you like X-23, pick up the X-23 minis.

If you like modern X-Factor, pick up Madrox: Multiple Choice.

House of M is alright, but it's really more of a Marvel Universe story than anything else.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sentry summed up the current books pretty succintly.

But yes you should read all of Astonishing, from issue 1 to present.

If you like Shi'ar stuff then I would pick up the X-Men Deadly Genesis trade and the subsequent Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire trade (the storyline finishing up in Uncanny right now)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh yeah, X-Statix! If you missed it, read X-Statix.

The first volumes are actually under the name X-Force, just so you know.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Also I noticed people are talking about two differnt "New X-Men" books, which might be confusing to someonewho has been out of the loop.

The current book called New X-Men is pretty much the current "New Mutants" style book, but a few years ago, the currently adjectivless "X-Men" title, was called New X-Men and was written by Grant Morrisson. Some people say it's one of the greatest X-runs ever, some people hate it. I think it had promise but ultimatley Morrisson just threw way too many ideas out there at once just to see what would stick rather than telling a focused story. There are some really good bits, but it's certainly not the perfect X-Men some would have you believe.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    X-Men: Rogue led group, has an interesting line up, not bad art, very odd stories.
    Uncanny X-Men: Don't bother till the current arc is over. It's a 12 parter and it's on 11 or so.
    New X-Men: Try and get the trades after House of M... I personally love New X-Men... it has the younger generation and X-23 (who grows on you)
    X-Factor: BUY THIS NOW
    Astonishing: BUY THIS NOW

done.

Amen

JCM on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So is Astonishing X-Men the "main" X-Men storyline? Please pardon my ignorance, Im basically a comic n00b.

Ravager on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Buy X-Factor

I could take or leave the rest.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Traditionally Uncanny has always been the "main" X-book as much as there is one, but thats not really how it works. The differnt X-books focus on differnt characters.

The current line-up in Astonishing X-Men is: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Beast, and Wolverine

The current line-up in Uncanny is: Xavier, Havok, Polaris, Nightcrawler, Rachael Summers, Darwin, and Warpath

The current line-up in X-Men is: Rogue, Cable, Iceman, Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Cannonball, and Omega Sentinal

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ravager wrote: »
    So is Astonishing X-Men the "main" X-Men storyline? Please pardon my ignorance, Im basically a comic n00b.

Each book has its own team, with its own storylines. Back in the 90s all the damn X-teamns used to trip over each other on a daily basis so you had to buy a ton of books. Right now only Astonishing and New X-Men do that because they're both based out of the X Mansion.

Hopefully (adjectiveless) X-Men stay either in their flying boat or in Providence and the hell away from the Mansion as they've got a few of my favorite characters (Okay, pretty much just Iceman and Rogue... the others are growing on me though).

Astonishing X-Men IS very good, but I don't enjoy that team as much and especially dislike having them be in 6 places at once due to their being the "Home Team".

Uncanny X-Men has been in space dealing with the Shi'ar for a year, and seeing as how I hate the goddamned Shi'ar I have no idea what's going on in that book.

And X-Factor is by far the best X book to come along in a while and for the most part it doesn't have any crossover crap. You may want to peruse the House of M trade though because X-Factor seems to be destined to deal with the fallout from that.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Cool, so I think im gonna read the House of M so I can be up to date with what happened there. From there Ill move on to X-Factor and Astonishing X-Men trades untill im caught up. After that I guess ill read singles or read trades from the other X-Men series. Does this sound right?

Ravager on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Astonishing X-Men is kind of like a continuation to Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Which was a bunch of issues of "X-Men" without the adjective. They added the New so people would buy it. Now they renamed New Mutants to New X-Men: Academy X then dropped the end bit, just to confuse people.

Look for the New X-Men Omnibus. Normally, it'd be cheaper on Amazon, but it seems like it's no longer in print, and the cheapest one is $112. That's not to say it isn't worth that price. You get a lot of book for that money, and it's only 12 bucks over retail. Still check local shops.

It's the best X-Men in decades.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The first 2 Astonishing X-Men arcs take place pre-House of M.

X-Factor does spin out of HoM though.

As does Deadly Genesis which in turns leads into Ed Brubaker's current run on Uncanny.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ok so read the first 2 Astonishing trades, then House of M, then the rest of Astonishing and X-Factor?

Ravager on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm planning on collecting the x-books from HoM onwards, they will be my next big purchase. I already grabbed Astonishing and it was freaking awesome.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ok so read the first 2 Astonishing trades, then House of M, then the rest of Astonishing and X-Factor?

Yep.

Also helps that Astonishing have more members of the "classic" Xmen, theres not many characters that you have to hunt issues for their origins and all. Joss Whedon´s writing it, and the artist from Planetary´s drawing it, its worth the money.

If you want to add the Maddrox mini series which lead into XFactor, its a good read, but not essential in anything except setting him up as a detective.

And I can just say this, Maddrox could be the most powerful mutant under Peter David´s pen.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I would also reccomend the X-Men: Deadly Genesis mini series following House of M which then leads into the current mega-arc of Uncanny X-Men "Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" It's a complete blast, Brubaker writing and the art is great.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm a bit underwhelmed with Uncanny at the moment.

Moves a bit too slow for me personally.

X-men at the moment is weird and out there with Kick arse art a neat team and is my second favourite Xbook.

As everyone is saying, Astonishing wins.

Blake T on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think you would actually be better off starting with the first trade of Morrison's New X-Men, since Astonishing actually references it pretty often.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I saw this thread. I read all of Astonishing X-men that is out today. I never read comics really. Thank you thread.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would strongly recommend Astonishing, great book. You can also pick up some other trades, especially the 'Essential' ones, for some history.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    I think you would actually be better off starting with the first trade of Morrison's New X-Men, since Astonishing actually references it pretty often.

I cannot stress enough how amazing that run was.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »

I cannot stress enough how amazing that run was.

Well... I will as soon as Amazon fills that order I made THREE MONTHS AGO!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Go for TPB's. I've found that's always the best way to get up to speed with any comic book series.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    emutheelfemutheelf Dr. Wankenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just started reading Astonishing and X-Factor (both brilliant) and want to catch up as well. About House of M, which trades are necessary reading? Is the main House of M trade enough or do I really need to get them all?

emutheelf on
    Current Game Rotation: Life is Strange, Super Mario Odyssey, Spelunky
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    emutheelf wrote: »
    I just started reading Astonishing and X-Factor (both brilliant) and want to catch up as well. About House of M, which trades are necessary reading? Is the main House of M trade enough or do I really need to get them all?

New X-Men: E is for Extinction
    New X-Men: Imperial
    New X-Men: New Worlds
    New X-Men: Riot at Xavier's
    New X-Men: Assault on Weapon Plus
    New X-Men: Planet X
    New X-Men: Here Comes Tomorrow

I listed the last one for completion's sake, but you can honestly just skip it. Not Morrison's best, and Silvestri is a relic of the 90s, and therefore an acquired taste.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, Here Comes Tomorrow was the best part of Morrisson's run.

Although I am not in love with it to the degree most people here are.

As for House of M, yes just read the main series. The tie ins were awful except for that one captain america issue.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    yeah, here comes tomorrow is terrific stuff

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Man, Here Comes Tomorrow was the best part of Morrisson's run.

Although I am not in love with it to the degree most people here are.

As for House of M, yes just read the main series. The tie ins were awful except for that one captain america issue.

Man what?

The Hulk tie-in was awesome.

HULK SMASH PUNY PAPERWORK

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    what chow could you not like house of M spidey?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    the House of M spidey started off good then devolved into nonsense. I liked the set up but the payoff wasn't worth it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Agreed.
    With Great Power Comes Great Fish!

the fuck?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    grim123 wrote: »
    what the hell was I smoking?!?O_o

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    what the hell was I smoking?!?O_o

You meant

What? How could you not like House of M Spidey?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only problem I see with going to Morrison's run, which was awesome, no question, is that, after Planet X, you go directly into New Excaliber, along with X-Men, which leads directly into Xorneto which is just a huge clusterfuck of nonsense.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    after planet x you just go right into here comes tomorrow and then don't bother with the stuff that comes right after

at least, i never did

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg