As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Games: Are they worth trading?

TheNomadicCircleTheNomadicCircle Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
Sorry if this is not the proper forum for this topic. If it isn't would a mod be kind enough to move it to the proper location?

This weekend, I've gotten around to sorting my video game collection and decided to trade or sell the games I'm never going to play. These games range from being in used condition from EB/GS, to being played and finished or to totally new with the plastic wrap still on them.

That said, I still have no idea where to trade/sell them. I know I'll get less money if I go the EB/GS route and don't want that. I've looked at Goozex, but is it really that good? I've seen a couple of games I would like to trade for using their points system, but I'm finding that its more people wanting them than people willing to trade games. So far I've not found one offer on any game I liked. Whats the rate of getting a game? Because I can rack up points using their system and trading my games but would it be worthwhile if my points just sit there and for me not to get the games I want because there is no supply but tons of demand?

I looked at Goozex because people here were talking about it, but what would you recommend I do? What other trading systems woudl you recommened? Ebay? Craiglist?

TheNomadicCircle on

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goozex is only good if you want to get old games out of the deal.

New games should be sold as new, especially if they are actually worth something sealed. Ebay is a good start, but others have had good luck with amazon and other sites.

Sometimes though if you just want money for new games Gamestop isn't a bad option. Just wait for their +X dollars of credit for every 3/4 games traded in deals and you can end up actually ahead of what you might get by e-selling those games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

New games should be sold as new, especially if they are actually worth something sealed. Ebay is a good start, but others have had good luck with amazon and other sites.

Sometimes though if you just want money for new games Gamestop isn't a bad option. Just wait for their +X dollars of credit for every 3/4 games traded in deals and you can end up actually ahead of what you might get by e-selling those games.

Gamestop doesn't give you as much as you should get unless they've got a promotion going (seem like they usually do). If you're not in a hurry, watch their website/tv ads. They run sales 1/2 the time bringing the price of used games down for buyers and the other half they raise the price paid to you for trade ins.

LaPuzza on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The biggest problem with trading games for EB/GS store credit is that it's EB/GS store credit. While they do run good sales and promotions from time to time, their regular prices are pretty terrible. If you haven't already, find out if there are any game stores in your area that will actually buy your games, rather than trade.

Dirty on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One small bonus with EB is that if you can cover the sticker price of your purchase with your banked trade-in credit then you don't pay any tax (maybe only a perk for canucks.) I've only just started trading in games this generation so was a nice surprise.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    edited August 2010
    Just noticed the OP's location. If you're looking for more sites then check out the RedFlagDeals buy/sell/trade board. It has a good GTA population.

Also (as probably a last resort) HMV gives a flat 5$ trade-in for any current gen game.

EvilMonkey on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Amazon does take a percent, but they also give you a shipping credit. Assuming games work the same as books, you don't actually lose very much in the deal at all.

The book I just sold last week went for $42 plus shipping and I will have $40.35 in my bank account next time they do their twice-a-month cash-out.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Amazon is aces. Their fees are low, and when buying their prices tend to be very good. If you want to trade for good values with the least amount of effort, that's the way to go.

That said you CAN get better deals on ebay or craigslist, but only if you're willing to put in a lot of work.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the only thing that annoys me (and it's a small thing) is that I can't just have them credit my account. They _have_ to cash out twice a month into a checking account. I'm just going to give the money back to them anyhow so I'd prefer to let them hang on to it while I decide what new game I'm buying.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I generally wait until there is a promotion on before i trade in my games. I got a wii after trading in 5 games, red dead redemption and starcraft 2 for free after trading in 2 games at futureshop. I think ive traded in games without a promotion twice, and i got screwed each time (like, 3 dollars for some of my games, not worth it).

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't do it, don't sell them used! for the games dev's won't make any money off it. Or at least that's how the Used Games thread in D&D is going. :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    Yeah, the only thing that annoys me (and it's a small thing) is that I can't just have them credit my account. They _have_ to cash out twice a month into a checking account. I'm just going to give the money back to them anyhow so I'd prefer to let them hang on to it while I decide what new game I'm buying.

For some reason, I had $0.75 that I could use on a purchase. Maybe it was just not enough to do the whole bank account transfer?

corky842 on
  • echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could try Play N Trade as an alternative to GS/EB if you have one close to where you live. I don't know how good their trade in prices are though.

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You could do the video game trade in thing, which gives credit, and is marginally better than Gamestop, but you'd get waaaaay more for actually selling it through them

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

You could do the video game trade in thing, which gives credit, and is marginally better than Gamestop, but you'd get waaaaay more for actually selling it through them

If I was giving them games I would do that. Only thing I've ever sold is a book. For games I appreciate the instant gratification of GameStop.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I've found a site called Cheap Ass Gamers and while looking I saw that their have trade values listed for various stores that you can trade games with. How reliable is thia info? Specifically Gamestop prices?
    A link may be helpful :P

I've used this site in the past for trade-in values

EvilMonkey on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I do want to do some easy trade ins then I use Toys R Us now. They have a site where you can check the trade in prices easily. Very very quick and simple with them at a real store. Prices also flucuate a few times during any given day. I traded in Split/Second for $24 and when I got home I checked just to make sure and I saw the new trade in price was $6.

http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/

Plus you get a normal gift card with your trade credit so if you don't want to buy another game then go buy some toys or something.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I've found a site called Cheap Ass Gamers and while looking I saw that their have trade values listed for various stores that you can trade games with. How reliable is thia info? Specifically Gamestop prices?

It's updated by people who go and check out prices, it isn't being pulled from a database anywhere. Gamestop prices fluctuate daily so it depends on the date associated with the price.

solsovly on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use Goozex. Its not good if you want new games right now, but if you don't mind waiting it works well.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Depends on how you define "old". Yeah day 1 is going to suck, but I just got a sealed copy of DQ9 in the mail via goozex the other day.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png