As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ATI to be rebranded, hope you like your "Radeon" cards

Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
It looks like the brand name ATI will exists no more, and that graphics cards will be branded "Radeon/Firepro" by 2011.

http://www.dailytech.com/So+Long+Farewell+AMD+to+Kill+ATI+Brand+Name+/article19479.htm

Linked in that same article, I saw that ATI had taken the lead (51%) in discrete graphics cards sales.

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Takes+Discrete+Graphics+Market+Lead+from+NVIDIA/article19216.htm

Michael H on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow. Granted, it's just a brand name, but I'm going to kind of miss it. I use Nvidia presently, but my first few build video cards were Radeons, like the X800Pro.

Interesting that AMD took a lead from Nvidia apparently (though not too surprising, I guess).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ummm...

Why does this matter? So now I should just refer to my card as a Radeon, gotcha.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've always referred to my cards as Radeon cards.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There ya go.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you really didn't think that it mattered you could have avoided posting in this thread at all.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow. Granted, it's just a brand name, but I'm going to kind of miss it. I use Nvidia presently, but my first few build video cards were Radeons, like the X800Pro.

Interesting that AMD took a lead from Nvidia apparently (though not too surprising, I guess).

A couple of the articles mentioned it was only a matter of time, but it's always surprising to me when companies move away from something that has such broad name recognition. "ATI vs. nvidia"... just so used to it.

Michael H on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's probably just AMD thinking they've had enough time at the helm to transfer any goodwill still associated with the ATI brand to AMD. This is like when BP dropped the Amoco brand (though they may end up bringing it back...).

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    If you really didn't think that it mattered you could have avoided posting in this thread at all.

I'm not criticizing you for posting this, I just found it interesting that they are going to the trouble to remove the ATI name. I'm pretty sure that could do one of two things. Nothing, in which case it was sort of wasted effort, or it will lower brand recognition, so why bother do it at all?

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »

I'm not criticizing you for posting this, I just found it interesting that they are going to the trouble to remove the ATI name. I'm pretty sure that could do one of two things. Nothing, in which case it was sort of wasted effort, or it will lower brand recognition, so why bother do it at all?

I think the telling quote in the one article is that, from AMD's market research:
    AMD preference triples when respondent is aware of ATI-AMD merger

so if you are a suit thinking damn, we would inspire more fondness for the AMD brand in consumers minds if they would just associate AMD with ATi products, you probably hit on taking the ATi name out of the equation.

So they will be Radeon Cards with a big AMD sticker somewhere, I bet

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Amd should get a new red and white logo around the same time as the transition. ATI has been one of the few brands I have been 100% loyal to since moving to them when I got back to back doa nvidia cards when moving from 3dfx cards.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Agreed, I've had nothing but positive experiences with my ATI products. (And less than stellar experiences w/ nvida.)

AMD has done well for me also; I'll probably keep buying AMD/ATI combos unless a really good reason to do otherwise presents itself.

Michael H on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't built an intel system yet but have no issue with the cpus. I tend to build my systems to last 2-3 years with no/minor upgrades and AMD just works out better price wise for that style of builds in my pc building budget.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Amd should get a new red and white logo around the same time as the transition. ATI has been one of the few brands I have been 100% loyal to since moving to them when I got back to back doa nvidia cards when moving from 3dfx cards.

I tend to alternate back and forth because by the time i'm ready to replace my card the opposite company will have had the best dollar/performance ratio.

but I do like radeon red over geforce blue.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's about damn time. I mean, I've usually bought ATi cards since my old 9600 Pro, but ATi's software end of things got waaaaaay better after the AMD buyout. Before the buyout their drivers were really rickety, now they're generally more stable than nVidia's (which took a real hit when Vista came out and the driver model changed and nV couldn't find their asses with both hands).

I mean, they're still not great, because graphics card companies prioritize performance over stability, but they're at least good.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Agreed, I've had nothing but positive experiences with my ATI products. (And less than stellar experiences w/ nvida.)
    The build quality of a particular graphics card model has more to do with the PCB maker (powercolor, xfx, evga, etc) than the GPU brand. Because if you have a card that dies it's probably the RAM that failed, not the GPU

Azio on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    The build quality of a particular graphics card model has more to do with the PCB maker (powercolor, xfx, evga, etc) than the GPU brand. Because if you have a card that dies it's probably the RAM that failed, not the GPU

In my case it's been nvidia onboard graphics for laptops. I'm not sure where that falls in the realm of blame.

Michael H on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    I've always referred to my cards as Radeon cards.

What, even the nvidia ones?

;-)

EDIT:

It is kind of sad in a way to be losing ATI, yeah.. it's just a brand name. But still, bit sad to see it die. I have a kind of semi-hatred for nvidia because I kept getting nvidia cards/chipsets that died on me. And you gotta hand it to ATI, they've really been eating away at nvidia the last few years.

I of course will buy nvidia if I think it's a good deal etc, I'm just a lot more careful of what nvidia chips I buy. (had two 7900GTX's die and a 8600M GT on my Macbook Pro) After getting burnt three times I really find it hard to trust nvidia.

Not once have I had an ATI chip die on me, the worst I've had with ATI were driver issues. That and I wish they'd either totally replace catalyst control center or just fix it so it doesn't suck so much.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just want a Radeon in my MBP. Too bad it'll never happen.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dang, now both the main GPU manufacturers will have black and green icons.

My very first discrete graphic card was an ATi 4MB Xpert@work. It was pretty crappy but I didn't really play too many 3D games then. Their website was the first non-US website I ever visited because www.ati.com went to some squatter site back in the 90s. They've come a long way since then and now I'm running a Radeon 5850 in my main desktop.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really don't care about the ATI brand one way or another. I'd just like to see them develop some kind of numbering system that actually lets people (who don't obsess over tech news and video card hierarchy charts) make informed decisions on which card to get.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    I really don't care about the ATI brand one way or another. I'd just like to see them develop some kind of numbering system that actually lets people (who don't obsess over tech news and video card hierarchy charts) make informed decisions on which card to get.

^ This. After reading up for a few months it seems pretty intuitive to me, but when I first starting researching video cards it didn't make any sense whatsoever. To the casual consumer it can make it easy to second guess whatever purchase is being made.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It doesn't take very long to go on Tom's Hardware and check.

And you should be doing that anyway to check benchmarks.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't mean that *I* was confused personally, just that this is no way to brand and sell a product. It's madness for the normal consumer, and it holds back computing in general as a result. If normal people better understood what they were buying, you'd probably see a lot more support for newer, better cards.

Darlan on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't mean that *I* was confused personally, just that this is no way to brand and sell a product. It's madness for the normal consumer, and it holds back computing in general as a result. If normal people better understood what they were buying, you'd probably see a lot more support for newer, better cards.

I totally agree. I work retail, and I can tell that it's incredibly confusing for non-enthusiast consumers to buy a graphics card. They need a clear-defined system, and they need to list it on the box. Just as cars have their XE, XL, GT, Si etc. editions, graphics cards should have these with a table listed on the box explaining what it means. This will help consumers looking for a specific feature set more easily make a purchase. I wouldn't mind an industry-wide standard, but we all know that would never happen.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    archonwarp wrote: »

I totally agree. I work retail, and I can tell that it's incredibly confusing for non-enthusiast consumers to buy a graphics card. They need a clear-defined system
    Well, AMD sort of does have a clearly defined system. ABC0, where A is the card "generation", B is the "tier" of the card (budget, mainstream, enthusiast), and C is the relative performance level within the tier. With the odd exception of the 5830 (bad price/performance ratio, get a GeForce 460 instead) you should basically be buying the card with the highest numbers of B and then C that your wallet can cope with.

Hell, unless you count previous generation cards (4870 vs 5770 performance-wise, ignoring certain features of new cards) AMD's scheme is practically "buy the card with the biggest number that you can afford".

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They're just rebranding them to AMD Radeon and they will be keeping the red badges.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love my Radeon Cards. As long as they remain awesome, I couldn't care less about the logo.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just wait for the boxed computer manufacturers to put their AMD-powered graphics sticker next to the Intel Inside sticker. Looks like a marketing ploy to me.

Krikee on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Krikee wrote: »
    Just wait for the boxed computer manufacturers to put their AMD-powered graphics sticker next to the Intel Inside sticker. Looks like a marketing ploy to me.

From the article:

16354_amd_1.jpg

Those bottom two are for computers with Intel Inside stickers on them.

Daedalus on