As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stuck In a Hole (in Chile)

12346»

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    franko bring back your old avatar the new one sucks

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess I never really read anything from there? Youtube comments are typically my go-to proof that humanity doesn't deserve to live.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couldn't we just send down brooms so they could play real life minesweeper?

My god

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kotaku is pretty bad

I play this game where if an article has a picture in it that contains asian characters

I try to predict how many comments it will take until someone provides an unprompted translation for that text

this one was posted today
    http://kotaku.com/5625176/why-dating-simulator-loveplus-is-popular

I guessed 4 comments
    but the winning number was

Franko on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    there are some chubby guys in that video

maybe they have not been rationing the tuna as well as they claim

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    seems like some of you guessed correctly

http://kotaku.com/5625207/trapped-chilean-miners-get-psps

I'm like a detective

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do they have power down there? Or some kind of generators?

skettios on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe they can cycle in new batteries occasionally? Although then you have all the old ones lying around all the time... do they have any way of getting stuff out?

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Couldn't we just send down brooms so they could play real life minesweeper?

My god

Is that from the Kotaku comments?

Because it's actually kind of funny.

I feel so dirty.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited August 2010
    skettios wrote: »
    Do they have power down there? Or some kind of generators?

really long extension cord?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Maybe they can cycle in new batteries occasionally? Although then you have all the old ones lying around all the time... do they have any way of getting stuff out?

If they can send stuff down, it seems logical that they can retrieve stuff as well.

They got a generator (or maybe it was an adapted piece of machinery?) running which they used to power their lights, though I'm not sure if it's set up to a generic plug.

As for the fat guy, earlier in the thread someone posted a link noting that two of the miners are obese. The wiki page on the situation mentioned that everyone is aware of this, and that diet and an exercise regimen were being worked out to help ensure everyone gets out of there. The escape hole will require the miners to have a waistline of 35 inches or less. As noted a couple of pages back, as a larger guy myself I find this idea terrifying. I imagine a fear of being left behind is a hell of a motivator to slim down (the page also said that the miners had lost like 12-20 pounds apiece).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited August 2010
    Forar wrote: »

If they can send stuff down, it seems logical that they can retrieve stuff as well.

funny thing about gravity..

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    funny thing about gravity..

It's easily defeated by rope/cable technology?

They're not dropping the damned things on them. >.<

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They got a generator (or maybe it was an adapted piece of machinery?) running which they used to power their lights, though I'm not sure if it's set up to a generic plug.

As for the fat guy, earlier in the thread someone posted a link noting that two of the miners are obese. The wiki page on the situation mentioned that everyone is aware of this, and that diet and an exercise regimen were being worked out to help ensure everyone gets out of there. The escape hole will require the miners to have a waistline of 35 inches or less. As noted a couple of pages back, as a larger guy myself I find this idea terrifying. I imagine a fear of being left behind is a hell of a motivator to slim down (the page also said that the miners had lost like 12-20 pounds apiece).

There would be service cables running through the mine, but I've no doubt they would have been severed. The problem with generators is that they'll produce CO gas and if the space isn't ventilated well, there could be problems with that. I'm going down the hole in a little bit, I might take some photos of our refuge chambers and post them here.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Being miners, I have to think some of them have pretty big shoulders too. I wonder if that will be a problem.

Plus they're 700m underground. Can you imagine being hoisted up a shaft for 700 meters that you barely fit through? Gives me the willies.

I was just thinking the same thing. Worse than being stuck 700m down? Being stuck half way up.

skettios wrote: »
    Wait.. I might have missed it, but WHY will it take 4 months to get them out?

I imagine it's probably horrifically delicate work, lest they risk collapsing more of the mine, potentially on top of the survivors.

I recall seeing somewhere that it might not take that long, but I suspect they're being generous with the ballpark. Better to say 4 months and get them out in 3 than to say 3 months and take 4.

It's also that boring a hole that wide is a shitload harder that a little 4 inch hole.

It's like when you drill through a thick piece of steel.

Your pilot hole is fucking simple cause it's a 4 to 6 mm diameter hole.

The actual hole you need to drill takes a heck of a lot longer than that.

How many of these prissy homps do you actually think know what a pilot hole is or have any experience with a drill press?

God I don't know. What example should I give?

The only other example I can think of how you gotta start small and work up to larger things in butts.

Blake T on
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that...

that is actually a good example

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so are they really stuck there til Christmas?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    we'll see when ol' st nick rolls through chile, won't we?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so uh

what are they doing about poo poos?

MrMonroe on
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    would it be ironic if the miners got a lump of coal for christmas?

yes i know its a copper mine, fuck you

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so uh

what are they doing about poo poos?

they have access to a large portion of tunnel where they can deposit unwanted material

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    so are they really stuck there til Christmas?

I read this as a continuation of the things in butts metaphor and was briefly very, very confused.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg