As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding a job in a new city...

Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hola HA,

I'm curious to how one goes about finding a job in a new city, without having to relocate there first to do it. I'm fairly sick of my current city, but I have a good job and don't want to leave it without something else already lined up. However, every company i've sent in my resume to has basically said they'd rather go local.
I'm still young, and only have about 4 1/2 years of experience in my field (Web Systems/Weblogic/Linux Admin, also a decent Java/Python Developer but don't have any work experience in the field, mostly freelance stuff). I find my resume fairly impressive and i'm a good interviewer, but I don't really have anything that would make me stand out.

Are contracting firms willing to try and place people from other states? I hate going the contractor route, because the lack of job security sucks (and I find the recruiters to be some of the most lecherous human beings on earth), but the pay is generally better than being a full time employee, so that is nice. I'd prefer to get a job out in any of the major West Coast cities (SD, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle) or Chicago.

So basically, how do I get these places to want to hire me over a local? Is it possible?

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
Death Cab For Albie on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Contracting firms are mostly the same as straight hiring as far as preferring local, in my experience. They and the actual company you'd work at still have to go through pretty much the exact same process, so unless there's a good reason to go to the extra hassle of flying you around for interviews, possibly having you want relocation assistance, possibly having you back out because moving is a pain in the ass, etc. they'd much rather just interview people who are already local. I went through the same thing when I moved across the country 10 years ago. It was kind of a pain.

Even now, I get calls all the time for local stuff that I'm only kind of qualified for based on my resume because it's worth a shot to talk to me since I'm local. The only thing I get called for where they are willing to hire someone from out of state is Perl development, because I'm apparently the last Perl dev in America or something and do it full time still.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "While I appreciate your concerns, I have plans to relocate to (city) in the near future at my own expense, which is why I am looking for employment in your area. I'll be in (city) during (near enough time period) and would love to come interview with you."

Granted, you may spend a bit on flights for interviews and relocating yourself.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Contracting firms are mostly the same as straight hiring as far as preferring local, in my experience. They and the actual company you'd work at still have to go through pretty much the exact same process, so unless there's a good reason to go to the extra hassle of flying you around for interviews, possibly having you want relocation assistance, possibly having you back out because moving is a pain in the ass, etc. they'd much rather just interview people who are already local. I went through the same thing when I moved across the country 10 years ago. It was kind of a pain.

Even now, I get calls all the time for local stuff that I'm only kind of qualified for based on my resume because it's worth a shot to talk to me since I'm local. The only thing I get called for where they are willing to hire someone from out of state is Perl development, because I'm apparently the last Perl dev in America or something and do it full time still.

So you're saying I should learn Perl? :lol:

How do all these Indian contractors do it then? At my current job, i'd say 50% of our contractors are Indian, and they all come from other cities. It's not like they come at discounted rates either, I guarantee the company pays more for them then they do for me.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "While I appreciate your concerns, I have plans to relocate to (city) in the near future at my own expense, which is why I am looking for employment in your area. I'll be in (city) during (near enough time period) and would love to come interview with you."

Do something like this.

skettios on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to be doing something similar soon. I think it's really more a matter of saving money for the period of time that you'll be interviewing, locally, for a new job. While you are unemployed, that is.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to be doing something similar soon. I think it's really more a matter of saving money for the period of time that you'll be interviewing, locally, for a new job. While you are unemployed, that is.

That's not happening. Like I said, I have a good job currently and am not gonna quit it on the hopes of finding a new job. I don't like this city, but I don't hate it enough to voluntarily enter the world of unemployment. Plus, in most lines of work, you are more likely to get hired if you already have a job.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

That's not happening. Like I said, I have a good job currently and am not gonna quit it on the hopes of finding a new job. I don't like this city, but I don't hate it enough to voluntarily enter the world of unemployment. Plus, in most lines of work, you are more likely to get hired if you already have a job.

Yes, this so hard.

And just be patient, it's absolutely possible to find work in a city even though you're miles away (I just did it!)

My approach was basically what Improvolone said, spent a bit of cash flying back and forth for interviews, but in the end they're chipping in for relocation because my skill set is what they want and my personality meshes with the people they already have.

So it may take a while, but keep putting in applications as much as you can. Hit up friends, family, former co-workers and students that might know of stuff in the area and get your resume out there.

Usagi on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Well sure. If you don't mind sticking around a city you hate for as long as it takes to get that job, that's your perogative (and is probably a sensible one if you're in America, given the economic context). I'm saving a buffer of a few months so I can move and start my job search in earnest on arrival if I can't line up a job before I go. The date of the move is set - otherwise I'd probably never do it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This seems like good advice but I tried this last year many times, and either got no reply, or the "hey we like your resume but currently are only seeking local talent" line.

I mean, go ahead and try it, you may get lucky, but telling them "I really want to move to __" doesn't really overcome the aforementioned reasons for them not to want to bother.

Something that's been recommended to me is if you have any friends where you plan to move, just use their address as your "local" address when applying. I've heard of people getting dismissed just because their phone number isn't local though, which is silly since people just use their same cell number for years these days no matter how many times they move cities/states.

riz on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    riz wrote: »

This seems like good advice but I tried this last year many times, and either got no reply, or the "hey we like your resume but currently are only seeking local talent" line.

I mean, go ahead and try it, you may get lucky, but telling them "I really want to move to __" doesn't really overcome the aforementioned reasons for them not to want to bother.

Something that's been recommended to me is if you have any friends where you plan to move, just use their address as your "local" address when applying. I've heard of people getting dismissed just because their phone number isn't local though, which is silly since people just use their same cell number for years these days no matter how many times they move cities/states.

Yea. The only problem with faking being local is when they see my current employer is located in a city 1500 miles away. That's a hell of a commute to work :)

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    riz wrote: »

Right, but telling them that it won't cost them any extra removes another reason and telling them that you still plan to interview with them in person (again at your own expense) removes another reason.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Depending on how large your current employer is, you may be able to score an internal transfer to a new location. If you like your job this avenue may be worth pursing.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    Depending on how large your current employer is, you may be able to score an internal transfer to a new location. If you like your job this avenue may be worth pursing.

While they are a large company, their headquarters is based out of my current city and that is where the IT department resides.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »

So you're saying I should learn Perl? :lol:

How do all these Indian contractors do it then? At my current job, i'd say 50% of our contractors are Indian, and they all come from other cities. It's not like they come at discounted rates either, I guarantee the company pays more for them then they do for me.
    I suspect many come over here on a student visa and then get a job asap out of school in the area they went to college.

The other semi-likely option is the following. Depending on who you talk to, several of the primarily Indian run contracting firms pretty much exist solely to place Indian employees. I don't believe that all of them are that way, but I'm sure some are.

Jimmy King on