As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AC Lurker Thread (NSFW)

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love it, LineSpider5. The first two remind me of Neon Genesis Evangelion's mechs, in that they are simultaneously primordial and futuristic, biological and robotic.

Delurk? Ok, you asked for it - ladies and gentlemen, I give you the whalephant (it came from teaching my students about the acoustic spectrum - whales and elephants are two animals that can hear in the infrasonic range).
    whalephant.jpg

I really like to doodle when bored, like in a bad class or in downtime during otherwise stressful stuff, then color it digitally later.

Doodles:
    This is from last week:
    lilhitlumberjack.jpg

When I was student teaching physics, I told my students "Capacitors horde charge."
    capacitor.jpg

I sent this out on the newsletter to parents, to represent myself (I was getting shocked by static electricity, it was the electricity unit).
    monsta.jpg

And this is a doodle that got colored:
    tribalv.jpg

And here are some things that got more time.
    My sister described a doctor's visit (health santa) and this is the result:
    Santa__s_Lava_Massage_by_redraevyn.jpg

This is what comes out of my head when I play WoW:
    Dwarf_Warriors_by_redraevyn.jpg

I drew this for a Laotian friend... she may have said she was thinking of getting a tattoo with an elephant and the national flower. Why this isn't on her skin is beyond me.
    Laos___fur_Alice_by_redraevyn.jpg

I really want to work on my inking - I almost always like my pencils more than my inked lines. My first step was to force myself to ink things instead of leaving them as sketches, the next step is making the inking step decent... heh.

Red Raevyn on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just vary your line weights and they'll look 100 times better, you've already got some really smooth lines so vary them a bit :)

(just remember if something is supposed to be close to the viewer, make it a thicker line and when it is farther it is a thinner line. Also, transitioning from thick to thin within one line is a great way to add some dynamic energy.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You silly people and your passive lurking... you work deserves to be seen, dammit!

Seriously, this is good stuff. Keep it coming!

Paradise on
  • entropicgoatentropicgoat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    guess i might as well get in on the party as well. god knows i've learned a lot from this forum by just lurking it.
    i've only in the past year or so overcome the life long belief that i would never be able to draw, which as a graphic artist has made life rather difficult and frustrating at times to say the least.

this will be the inside of a greeting card once i figure out what goes on the front of the card.

greeting_card-2.jpg

entropicgoat on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    guess i might as well get in on the party as well. god knows i've learned a lot from this forum by just lurking it.
    i've only in the past year or so overcome the life long belief that i would never be able to draw, which as a graphic artist has made life rather difficult and frustrating at times to say the least.

this will be the inside of a greeting card once i figure out what goes on the front of the card.

greeting_card-2.jpg

"Open for awesome"

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm to lazy to quote someone from the previous page, but RESIDENT EVIL GUY; great sense of colour.

also,
    elephantwhales are amazing.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • SalsaSalsa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've posted in the Doodle Thread, but there is that sense of "this doodle isn't narrative/cool/trendy enough" that I worry when I post there, so I'll post here instead

(I hadn't seen this before! Hey there fellow Lurks!)

This is a comic idea I'm working on but the layout's just clash-y and gesture-y right now. I want it to be a convo between two people at the local smoke spot, talking about how the underage worker lost her fake ID and is like a stray cat for nicotine. Girl A warns Dude B not to smoke openly or she might try to bum smokes off him. (The parts outlined in red are from the story A is telling B.)

nicotineneedsWIPSM2.jpg

The last panel is really the only one I like; probably because I got to make my roommate stand around for five minutes going "RAAAAAAGH".

Salsa on
    "Someday-- that dish will be full of tasty, tasty salsa."
  • EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's nice to see fellow lurkers (aka scaredy cats) coming out from the woodwork. Entropicgoat that looks like it'll be the best greetings card ever!

Most of my free time is spent on doodling cutesy things in Photoshop, but recently I've been making things and sewing like manly men do (I am not a man).

dscf6526.jpgdscf6529.jpgdscf6530.jpg

Edilith on
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Salsa, I totally dig the cat section. I like the cat flying away, especially.

Edilith, the rabbit bookmark is groovy! I'd buy that (were I purchasing things - don't make me put my money where my mouth is! ;) )

Red Raevyn on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    This thread was a great idea. Luring all of the lurkers out of hiding and gathering them together in one location will make things a lot easier when the time comes...

DMAC on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm aligning the satellites as we speak, DMAC.

NightDragon on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    those bookmarks(?) are adorable, edi

everyone here is pretty rad so far! hope you stick around

mensch-o-matic on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We must move quickly now that their suspicions have been aroused.

Mustang on
  • An HorseAn Horse Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    This seemed like as good a time as any to stop lurking!

Breakfasttime.png

An Horse on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    An Horse, I hope there are more comics, and I hope you plan to post them. I will be sad if not.

Iruka on
    edited August 2010
    Bwahahahaha, that's fucking great dude.

Mustang on
  • SalsaSalsa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The "?" makes it more upsetting because it makes me feel like, even though he knows now, there will be more Jizz Surprise in his future..

(+ blah sketch)

tasersmwip.png : <

Salsa on
    "Someday-- that dish will be full of tasty, tasty salsa."
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Edilith, for some reasons those pictures didn't load the last time I was in this thread. Freakin' adorable, I tellyawhut. <3

NightDragon on
    edited August 2010
    I don't have anymore good comics. There'll be more on the way!

But I do have this!

EricOxtobyNoname.png

An Horse on
  • entropicgoatentropicgoat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    initial sketches for the card i hope to finish tonight

bees.jpg

entropicgoat on
    edited September 2010
    initial sketches for the card i hope to finish tonight

bees.jpg

:whistle: little bees, little bees :whistle:

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    An Horse, more comics would be great thank you very much.

Paradise on
  • EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god I'm new. Ive been trollin' for a while but i dont post much. My last year of (MOTHER FUCKING GOD DAMN) high school. Please don't hate me but I will post a few things. Not quite sure what the format here is and feel free to scream/yell/hate/rage/delete this post if i do it wrong.
    Anywho here goes nothing.

First image may be NSFW
    NinaWalker_Naked002.jpg

Some character design im trying out. She is still very naked at this point.

Doodle002.jpg

sketch I did.

DigitalFigureDrawing001copy.jpg

yay gesture

[Moved, I feel more comfortable in the lurkers thread than the doodles thread]

Eugal on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Get thee to a Loomis pdf and start fixing that anatomy. That female character has the figure of a very tall prepubescent girl, or an anemic man with breasts.

http://iseenothing.com/files/artbooks/Andrew%20Loomis%20-%20Figure%20Drawing%20For%20All%20It%27s%20Worth.pdf

Scosglen on
    edited September 2010
    I just remembered I download a bunch of loomis PDFs awhile ago. I am off to read them all from cover to cover and shall not art till this deed is done.

Eugal on
    edited September 2010
    Don't just read them, break out your sketchbook and copy everything in it as you go.

Scosglen on
  • Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I occasionally lurk in here and in writer's block. Both places intimidate me. Perhaps this thread will thrust me out of my lurker shell.

here are some lolcat comics (yes, I know. I do loves me some memes.)
    IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

And an old set of paintings I still look upon with smilings.
    IMG_0219.jpg

edited for perhaps less crappy photographs.

eep!

Aurora Borealis on
    edited September 2010
    I occasionally lurk in here and in writer's block. Both places intimidate me. Perhaps this thread will thrust me out of my lurker shell.

here are some lolcat comics (yes, I know. I do loves me some memes.)
    rfinart.jpg
    izacomik.jpg
    bukkit.jpg

And an old set of paintings I still look upon with smilings.
    rehysandmireha.jpg

Please forgive the crappy photographs. I promise to do better in the eventual future.

eep!

Do better on photo's NOW.

I want me some high-res of them lolcats

LittleBoots on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eugal, this thread isn't marked NSFW. That means any nudity needs to be linked and tagged.

MKR on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PREFACE: I feel like a pretentious douchehound saying this.

Aurora, I love that, through intent or through accident, the bukkit one half-references the seal, and half references Magritte: n'est pas une seau. So rad.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited September 2010
    @MKR

Sorry about that been in art school for so long it didnt even occur to me that nudity might be NSFW it's just sort of become second nature. also apparently photobucket thought my drawing was against there terms of use. haha

Eugal on
    edited September 2010
    NoButSeriouslyBetter-1.jpg

Another!

An Horse on
  • Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    squidbunny:

Thank you! And yes it's intentional, and yes, nobody gets it but pretentious art school refugees.

<3!

Aurora Borealis on
  • MoorkusMoorkus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice initiative MKR, I've really enjoyed lurking in your lurker thread so far.

I probably should be reading and working through the books I bough at the recommendation of the questions, discussion and tutorials thread instead of doing this (works in progress since I suck at finishing drawings).

Somewhat inappropriate Pennywise for the avatar thread.
    toasterm-8.jpg

And a viking!
    viking.jpg

Feedback would be great since I'm trying to finish these, but I realize I'm pretty much at the point where it's hard to say anything besides, draw from life and study anatomy.

Moorkus on
    edited September 2010
    Lisbeth_0051.jpg

I am currently doing a second version of this that i think will correct a few of the things that wrong with this one but please tell me what you think.

Eugal on
    edited September 2010
    The cheek is really nice, but the rest of it suffers from structural issues. It's something that's only going to be solved with a ton of practice. However, do horizontal flips on your work regularly, it'll help highlight where things are falling down. Also try doing some Asaro head studies, they'll help you no end in understanding the structure of the head....it's a very complex object, the head, I still grapple with it.

Mustang on
    edited September 2010
    The lighting model and actual painting of the image is not half bad.

The facial structure is a wreck though. The entire facial mask is just totally doll-like and unconvincing.

The structure of the neck gets confused and lost inside the shadowed interior-- in particular the sternocleidomastoids (The long strips of muscle that run from beneath the ear and down the neck) seem to be diverging rather than coming together at the top of the manubrium as we expect.

The contour of the face on our right is also wonky in the passage from the cheekbones and brow region. Too simplified and, again, doll-like.

Scosglen on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's that girl from "men who hates women" right?

m3nace on
    edited September 2010
    if by Men who hate Women you mean Girl with the Dragon tattoo yes. Although i'm pretty sure they are the same thing but Men who hate Women is the direct translation. And thanks for the crit, what are Asaro head studies? Is his book in the help section? I have tried to do some of Loomis' head stuff but i guess i need to work on face structure more.

Eugal on
  • NATOFOXNATOFOX Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Even the lurkers are intimidating. I love that gentleman head crab!

tammy_by_bobsavedthequeen-d2xo23u.jpg

Heres a doodle I did from ref, it doesn't really look like the ref though ;_;

IMG_1572.jpg
    I'm making a comic for fun, this is one of the characters.

NATOFOX on