As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CPU Overheating Suddenly and strangely

JedivaderJedivader Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have AMD Athlon 64 4000+. The few weeks I've started noticing horizontal shaky lines. Well two days ago someone mentioned over heat (because I started getting BSOD's too), so I got SpeedFan. That day, my CPU Core was running at 65C. I also noticed my 3.3v line was only registering 2.7V.

So after leaving it off and handling some business I came back to it today. I unplugged the power to the motherboard and plugged it back in, now I get 3.2v on the 3.3. However, just browsing the web i get a Cpu temp of 46C and a Core 52C. If I start up WoW, or really any graphic intensive game (Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Titan Quest etc) it gets up to 65C, the lines reappear and then I get BSODs. The GPU only ever gets up to about 39C. Motherboard temp always around 32C.

I took some compressed air and blew all the dust out, there was alot. But after leaving it off and not restarting it, I get roughly the same tempatures. I ordered new Arctic Silver compound today hoping that will at least help. Any Ideas?

noidea.jpg
Jedivader on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    65C isnt excessively hot. I dont think thats causing your problem to be honest. I would be more concerned with the fluctuating power on the rail powering your graphics card (Im assuming this is your 3.3v rail).

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • JedivaderJedivader Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't think it was too hot either, but then I looked up AMD Athlon temps and the max temp is 70. That made me worry that playing games etc was pushing the absolute boundries of my temp range. So you think at 65 it shouldn't be causing those issues?

Jedivader on
    noidea.jpg
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try replacing the fan, maybe. It might be going, or gone, and thus you're getting what you're getting, maybe?

Out of curiosity, what does your BIOS (or application in your OS) say your fan speed is at?

L Ron Howard on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Take this with a fistful of salt, but I had very similar problems on an i3 - mild overheating with artifacting.

It cleared up when I reapplied thermal paste to the heatsink and realigned the heatsink's fan.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • JedivaderJedivader Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    showing the fan at 2000 RPM

I was thinking of doing that as well. Think buying some good paste and reapplying could have a positive effect?

Jedivader on
    noidea.jpg
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jedivader wrote: »
    showing the fan at 2000 RPM

I was thinking of doing that as well. Think buying some good paste and reapplying could have a positive effect?

At the least it will do no harm. Best case, you'll have paid $5 and the problem goes away. Worst case, you've paid $5 and the problem remains.

Raekreu on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Huh, weird. I just looked up the max temps and man, some newer CPUs have really low max temps. 60 degrees? Its been hotter than that outside in some places (like death valley, but still). So yeah, i was thinking your max temp would be closer to 75-80. So maybe try replacing the thermal paste.

Id still be looking at the power supply though... Computers like to have a constant supply of power, not one that fluctuates. Power dips and surges can ruin hardware. Thermal paste is cheaper though so you might as well start there.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    Huh, weird. I just looked up the max temps and man, some newer CPUs have really low max temps. 60 degrees? Its been hotter than that outside in some places (like death valley, but still). So yeah, i was thinking your max temp would be closer to 75-80. So maybe try replacing the thermal paste.

Id still be looking at the power supply though... Computers like to have a constant supply of power, not one that fluctuates. Power dips and surges can ruin hardware. Thermal paste is cheaper though so you might as well start there.

Probably should have edited my previous post, but meh....2.7v coming off of the 3.3v rail is definitely not good. That's a huge discrepancy.

Jedi, if the thermal paste doesn't do the job, I'd say go and buy a new power supply and install it. If the new power supply makes your system stable, then that should be the end of this little mystery. If the system still flips out you can just return the PSU and start looking at other options.

EDIT: Also, dadgum! 65C is apparently way, way hot for an AMD processor.

Raekreu on