As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mugshots and Celebrities(UP PG2: 07Sep10)

SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch FetishistAustin, TXRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Artist's Corner
So here in Austin we have a weekly newspaper that is nothing but mugshots from the week's arrests (Busted! is the name if you care). So I thought it might make good practice for drawing faces. I figure I'll do about half a dozen a day and see how that works out. These are all about 4-5 minutes, basically trying to get better at quickly laying out facial features. Fortunately there are all different races, ages, etc getting arrested around here, so it will give me good practice with the variations.

mugshots01.jpg

The more I look at these, the more I hate them, but, I'm gonna be doing this for a month at least so hopefully a little practice will help.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
SeraphSword on

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    im trying the same thing with the smoking guns mugshot roundups (every friday around 5 is another batch of around 12-18) as they tend to have a bunch of crazy looking people in there to start with, although i have to say i like the way yours are coming out alot better than mine

farbekrieg on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So here in Austin we have a weekly newspaper that is nothing but mugshots from the week's arrests (Busted! is the name if you care).

Texas can be pretty cool when it wants to be.

For 4-5 minute sketches I think you'd be better off doing them in pencil.

Mustang on
  • SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I lay in the basics in non-repro blue.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    So here in Austin we have a weekly newspaper that is nothing but mugshots from the week's arrests (Busted! is the name if you care).

Texas can be pretty cool when it wants to be.

For 4-5 minute sketches I think you'd be better off doing them in pencil.

We had that here too. During the time in which I worked at that liquor store, I would very often see my customers in it for anything ranging from sexual assault to robbery, forgery, and even assault with intent.

Also yes, pencil would be best. I would do studies outside of mugshots of course, since they are infamous for being poorly lit.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I keep meaning to do studies from This website. Maybe you can use it, I like the variety in people it shows.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited August 2010
    I've always been a little partial to this (might be because she's hot):
    http://clickflashwhirr.blogspot.com/

And the Sartorialist is pretty good too:
    http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for that link Belruel, it looks a bit like the Sartorialist, but better focus on the faces.

SeraphSword on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I noticed the gas station close to where I work was selling Busted! and I bought a copy so that I could practice drawing faces and get some inspiration for a new comic.

Thanks for this thread.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey this is a great idea!
    keep it up and keep posting them!

beavotron on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i might suggest using famous people and not telling us who they are. That would be a decent test.

NakedZergling on
    edited September 2010
    More mugshots:

mugshots02.jpg

As far as celebrities go, here is one I did a couple weeks ago. Spent about an hour on it, but never finished it. Might take another crack at it some other time.

celeb01.jpg

Edit:
    Wow NZ, just noticed you are in RI. I was born and raised in Newport. Don't see that many RI'ers around.

SeraphSword on
    edited September 2010
    is it
    the girl who plays hermione?

also I totally dig your mugshots, I like the one of the man with the goatee best.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2010
    Belruel, you are correct, and thanks.

SeraphSword on
    edited September 2010
    A few more for today:

mugshots03.jpg

SeraphSword on
    edited September 2010
    Decided to try some marker experiments. Haven't really touched my Prismacolors in years, and I think it shows. At least they came out a little more interesting I think.

mugshots04.jpg

Comments and critiques always welcome.

SeraphSword on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thick outlines: lose them

the one you posted without them is the best one

earthwormadam on
    edited September 2010
    More mugshots:

mugshots05.jpg

And another celebrity (fairly happy with the likeness on this one):

celeb02.jpg

SeraphSword on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Durden's eyes look uneven but nice none the less.

earthwormadam on
  • Eryk DonovanEryk Donovan Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I know you are doing fast studies to get the layout, but have you considered spending the first minute or so of the 5 using a blue(non photo reproducible) pencil? That could work really well to get the layout before you hit it with pen or marker.

if using pen is your purpose, you could consider using a faber-castell or other such red sepia tone pen to get your basic layout and use the markers on top, usually that looks quite cool.

Eryk Donovan on
    edited September 2010
    I think he said he does do the layout in non-repo blue eryk.

seraph, that last bunch is the best of the lot, losing the thick outline really helps.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the comments and crits guys. I noticed after it was done about Brad's eyes (or maybe it's the mouth/nose that's off), and there was nothing to be done except slow down for next time. And losing the outline does seem to make them a little less flat.

A few more mugshots:

mugshots06.jpg

SeraphSword on
  • VeromVerom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    These just get keep getting better and better with each update.

Verom on
    edited September 2010
    Gracias. Later today I'll probably post a few more of each, but over the course of the week I'm gonna try to expand into some more creative stuff (from imagination, full-bodies, creatures, environments, etc.).

SeraphSword on
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What V, said. You are getting way better at it, keep up the great work and keep the prismas the shading at lots of depths and uniqueness to it.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
    edited September 2010
    Thanks peeps.

Today was one of those days where everything came out like crap. You just shake your head and try again tomorrow.

Mugshots:
    mugshots07.jpg

I really don't much like this, but it was the third attempt, and that's all I can stand for today. The likeness is okay I guess, but it doesn't help that she's not a huge superstar yet, so maybe it will be tough to tell who it is.
    celeb03.jpg

Again, comments and critiques welcome, as are large stacks of cash.

SeraphSword on
    edited September 2010
    More mugs:

mugshots08.jpg

And another celeb. Didn't turn out that good, but it didn't turn out god-awful, so I'll post it:

celeb04.jpg

SeraphSword on