As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lair of the Shadow Broker rules and you should buy it

• KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man this is some kind of fucking monolith

We'll have Team Fortress running for its money soon

Kazaka on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ...Man...I hope nothing goes horribly wrong with this thread and we all end up dying.

Dragkonias on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zaeed will survive and tell our story

Kazaka on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

Which one of us is Zaeed...? o_O

Egos on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is our biggest DLC yet, period.

It also marks the real beginning where we expand the ME2 story in preparation for ME3.

As time gets closer to release, we'll have coverage on more of the awesome things you can expect out of LotSB

Ok this is pretty cool, found it on the official forums by a Bioware dude

Prohass on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As we get closer to release...it's only a week away.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As we get closer to release...it's only a week away.

to clarify that post was made a while back, but yeah they've still released zip info on it. They've mentioned there being a surprise in store before. Maybe the suprise is you get Liara as a teammate? And by maybe I mean it goddamn better be.

Prohass on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The surprise is that you can't access the mission until after you've done the Suicide Mission.

DarkPrimus on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The surprise is that you can't access the mission until after you've done the Suicide Mission.

Regardless of what may happen when its released, that would be the most logical access point to the DLC. I mean, you can't even talk to Liara until the second half of the game (unless of course they allow access to Illium from the start, or allow Liara to contact you in some way right away).

Emporium on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Prohass wrote: »
    Maybe the suprise is you get Liara as a teammate? And by maybe I mean it goddamn better be.

I wouldn't count on it. Screenshots showed two teammates + Liara and Shep.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    Kazaka wrote: »

Which one of us is Zaeed...? o_O

Did I tell you about the time me and some mercs destroyed a space station full of pirates?

Tough job but only I survived.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice OP Tal, but I'm worried the effect the pro-cerberus propaganda will have on impressionable newbies. Spoit's bingo sheet makes the first page ok.

I also just started my anti-cerberus vanguard run and after my now fifth vanguard attempt I still hate the stupid charging thing, but in the name of murdering as many cerberus personnel as possible I'll stick with it.

Quads.

envoy1 on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, double-post due to "database error". Also noticed that Wilson is given a phalanx gun if you have the firepower pack. Didn't help when Miranda cutscene killed him though.

envoy1 on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cerberus certainly dies, so who's to say they're not dying for humanity?

Xeddicus on
    edited August 2010
    Man just spent (AU) 50 $ on 3000 ms points in order to get all the DLC, as well as have enough for the 800 pts Shadow broker one.

Playing a mate through ME1 and 2, he basically sucks at singleplayer games and prefers to watch me play while he makes all the convo and story decisions. Its less gay than it sounds. Also we drink cheap wine. Still on the level. Shutup.

Anyway planning on not letting him know whats DLC and whats not cos that'll make ME2 even more awesome, as if it needs to be.

Prohass on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's just weird [tiny](and gay :P)[/tiny]. That's what easy mode is for? I guess ME is the game to do something like that with, though.

Xeddicus on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i'm actually planning to try that with my non-gamer family members

get them involved in the story, let them make the choices while i do the shooty bits

lord knows i can do the shooty bits

beat the game on my insanity sentinel. my GOD does the phalanx chew through harbinger. it's not even fair. headshot headshot headshot headshot ashes in the wind it's also death to husks. one shot strips their armor. ONE. SHOT.

next up is soldier. he will be bald. and angry. he will be a bald angry space marine.

re: cerberus daily news: I SUPPORT ROLAN QUARN

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rolan Quarn is my hero. I bet he's also the Shadow Broker and TIM.
    and Garrus

6vveK.jpg

Shujaa on
    edited August 2010
    i'm actually planning to try that with my non-gamer family members

get them involved in the story, let them make the choices while i do the shooty bits

lord knows i can do the shooty bits

beat the game on my insanity sentinel. my GOD does the phalanx chew through harbinger. it's not even fair. headshot headshot headshot headshot ashes in the wind it's also death to husks. one shot strips their armor. ONE. SHOT.

next up is soldier. he will be bald. and angry. he will be a bald angry space marine.

re: cerberus daily news: I SUPPORT ROLAN QUARN

See this makes me angry that i did my insanity run before all the DLC. I basically relied on glitching the AI and pure balls to the wall...insanity...to beat some parts. Fucking heavy mechs goddamn it.

And yeah basically my friend doesnt play games solo, hes a gamer, but he lives alone and I guess hates the feeling of playing solo, he'll do it occasionally, but prefers to play when others are over.

Its actually pretty cool for me because I get the thrill of experiencing the game for the first time vicariously through his reactions even though ive already beaten it several times. I recommend it.

Prohass on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The mass effect Minerals rap should be in the op

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well, i beat my vanguard insanity run before the firepower/armor packs came out, so i figure i've paid enough blood, sweat, and tears to have it a bit easier.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well, i beat my vanguard insanity run before the firepower/armor packs came out, so i figure i've paid enough blood, sweat, and tears to have it a bit easier.

Does the Kestrel armor make that big a difference? I'll be finishing my run this morning and the only DLC items I've used are the Phalanx and the Eviscerator.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited August 2010
    Wyborn wrote: »

Does the Kestrel armor make that big a difference? I'll be finishing my run this morning and the only DLC items I've used are the Phalanx and the Eviscerator.

i wouldn't know, i don't have any bonus armor except the preorder bonus stuff (collector, inferno) that i ignore. about the only gameplay-affecting DLC i have is the firepower pack.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited August 2010
    Huh. Apparently the -20% Biotic Cooldown upgrade doesn't affect Charge. The cooldown bonuses from Assault Mastery still do, though.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited August 2010
    All right dammit this is some old horse crap.

After Legion's loyalty mission:
    Is it even possible to get a Renegade option in the Tali/Legion showdown at level 30? My Renegade bar is maxed as far as I can tell.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I finally bought this, after pretty much forgetting about this game after the terrible subject zero trailer.

The "streamlining" isn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I kinda miss having an inventory.

Super early game "spoilers":
    "I'm sorry Sheppard, I have a memory block which blah blah blah..."

I am totally destroying that AI before the end of the game, if given the chance.

Also, I find it a bit weird that Sheppard is all "hmm, Cerberus seems familiar, but untrustworthy!" Didn't they unleash a tresher maw on some colonists "for science!", amongst other things? I was looking for options allowing me to raise this issue with the Illusive man, but found nothing. I took every option that allowed me to show reserve about working with Cerberus, but I still think they convince him to work for them way too easily.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    The mass effect Minerals rap should be in the op

This is so much better than I ever imagined it could be. Damn.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, Ashley is such a space-Nazi that even WREX wants to save the council more than her :-/

Y'know, those guys who 'neutered his entire race'. :-/

Leinna on
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, one of the things I didn't like about ME1 was that one squadmate always reccommended the Paragon choice and the other the Renegade, even when it wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

Blurbl on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Come on, BioWare, tell us if Shadow Broker is pre- or post-suicide!
    I have an Infiltrator with nothing to do but the IFF mission.

Might start a Sentinel while I wait.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Turambar wrote: »
    Come on, BioWare, tell us if Shadow Broker is pre- or post-suicide!
    I have an Infiltrator with nothing to do but the IFF mission.

Might start a Sentinel while I wait.

Pretty sure it's post.

If it's pre-, you can still do it after the suicide mission anyway.

Lux on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm guessing all the missions will be doable pre-suicide mission. And certainly everything is doable post- (except the initial 4 recruitments and required Collector missions).

Orca on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Leinna wrote: »
    Wow, Ashley is such a space-Nazi that even WREX wants to save the council more than her :-/

The way Mass Effect 1 works is that party slot determines what they say, not personality. There will always be a Paragon and a Renegade advisor, and which is which has nothing to do with the characters normal behavior.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I guess there won't be any unique dialogue either way since it's a DLC.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited August 2010
    Yeah. It was pretty strange to see Tali walk over there and coldly put a bullet in his head to make sure.

Orca on
    edited August 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

The way Mass Effect 1 works is that party slot determines what they say, not personality. There will always be a Paragon and a Renegade advisor, and which is which has nothing to do with the characters normal behavior.

You sure? Wrex has always been the one to go "screw the Council" with me. How does one determine the party slot?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited August 2010
    Turambar wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess there won't be any unique dialogue either way since it's a DLC.

My guess is probably not due to the cost of getting all the voice actors in, but I'm holding out hope for something (Garrus and Tali since they know Liara?). At minimum expect more Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale of course, which is always good.

Orca on
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

You sure? Wrex has always been the one to go "screw the Council" with me. How does one determine the party slot?

I have no idea, but on my "canon" run Ashley was the one who argued that we should save the council (she said something like "I don't like aliens but maybe they'll be less dicks if we save them") and Wrex (or maybe it was Garrus) was like "fuck 'em"

Popesnax on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yes I'm sure. It's solely determined by who you picked first and second when composing your party. Sometimes you'll have Liara be all bloodthirsty "BATHE THE RACHNI IN ACID AHRWARHIRG" and "KILL THE COUNCIL I HUNGER FOR FLESH"

It has nothing to do with personality, everything to do with slot.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited August 2010
    This is actually kind of awesome because it means I might be able to get Liara to stone cold smoke a mofo in the head.

Wait so is it possible for Wrex to be for saving the rachni? You'd think that one would be locked in stone.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png