As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Really? When I asked her about the circle and how she ended up there she was pretty much all "boy, the Chantry sure is awesome and we mages need to be supervised by our fantastic Templar friends".
    Your mild hyperbole doesn't change the fact that, while she might be OK with the Circle (since making it more likely for Abominations to show up is a bad thing), Wynne just doesn't really believe in the Maker. She's just very mellow about it, unlike Morrigan.
    I'd say it's more she believes but doesn't worship.
    Leliana: You are not religious, yes? You do not believe?
    Wynne: I do, to some extent. It does not govern my life, however. Why do you ask?
    Leliana: Oh, nothing. You are just a very good person, and it shows, and I thought at first you were religious, like some of the revered mothers. But no, I thought about it and I realized that you are not.
    Wynne: I do what I do because I enjoy it; because I enjoy teaching others, helping them. I do not seek recognition for my works. I do not seek the approval of my peers, nor the approval of a distant god.
    Leliana: That is admirable, doing good for its own sake. Some I knew were not like that. They bragged about what they did, trying to impress others. "Oh, Lady Adele, you fed and clothed twenty orphans, how noble!" "No, no, it is nothing, Lady Clarabelle. You treated forty lepers, and gave them massages!" Like a competition, with false modesty. Sickening.
    Wynne: Er, did Lady Clarabelle really give forty lepers massages?
    Leliana: Who knows. Lady Clarabelle had strange tastes. I wouldn't be surprised if she did that, and more.

I don't know. The phrase "nor the approval of a distant god" doesn't suggest faith to me. Wynne's basis for trying to stop the desecration of the Ashes was more based on it being a pointlessly malevolent thing to do, rather than her being especially devout. That's how I took it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    About Heraldry in Awakenings, I noticed that putting the Cousland design on my shield gave me a +3 bonus to all my attributes, but a Legion of the Dead design gave me something like +20.

Do all Heraldries give different bonuses? And if so, does anyone know what they are?

They do that? Holy crap. I did not know that. That would have made the Harvester so much less of a pain. :(

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    About Heraldry in Awakenings, I noticed that putting the Cousland design on my shield gave me a +3 bonus to all my attributes, but a Legion of the Dead design gave me something like +20.

Do all Heraldries give different bonuses? And if so, does anyone know what they are?

They do that? Holy crap. I did not know that. That would have made the Harvester so much less of a pain. :(

Holy shnikies! He is right! All heraldry gives +3 bonus except Legion, it gives +20! Just looked it up.

This makes me want to reload and import a stronger Warden for nightmare Harvester. Make that punk my bitch.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Holy shnikies! He is right! All heraldry gives +3 bonus except Legion, it gives +20! Just looked it up.
    Aw, I was hoping there would be a lot of difference between designs. Mostly because the Legion's design isn't exactly my favourite of the bunch, even if the bonus is awesome.

Then again, maybe the Legion of the Dead heraldry was supposed to give a +3 bonus like, apparently, all the others, but it doesn't because of some... coding mistake or something, I dunno.

WotanAnubis on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's weird. You'd think that at least the Human Noble would benefit more from the Cousland heraldry.

Silpheed on
    edited August 2010

This makes me want to reload and import a stronger Warden for nightmare Harvester. Make that punk my bitch.

I thought to do that myself, only now that I know I'm just going to respec the mage I just started Awakenings with as an Arcane Warrior and cheese the hell out of it when I get there.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    any theory on how Witch Hunt will play out if
    rather major spoilers
    you were magically resurrected in Awakening after sacrificing yourself?

Egos on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    rather major spoilers

I don't consider that magical, I consider it editorial.

In that it's a retcon, so that none of the other flags will be altered.

gjaustin on
    edited August 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »
    rather major spoilers

Well at the time they didnt say

we just made it so you took Morrigan up on her deal

:mrgreen:

Egos on
    edited August 2010
    rather major spoilers

Probably. That's how they treated you in Awakening, isn't it? Of course, if she responds to you with stunned disbelief and follow up by treating you like a ghost well... that's just icing on the cake.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Really? When I asked her about the circle and how she ended up there she was pretty much all "boy, the Chantry sure is awesome and we mages need to be supervised by our fantastic Templar friends".
    Your mild hyperbole doesn't change the fact that, while she might be OK with the Circle (since making it more likely for Abominations to show up is a bad thing), Wynne just doesn't really believe in the Maker. She's just very mellow about it, unlike Morrigan.
    I'd say it's more she believes but doesn't worship.
    Leliana: You are not religious, yes? You do not believe?
    Wynne: I do, to some extent. It does not govern my life, however. Why do you ask?
    Leliana: Oh, nothing. You are just a very good person, and it shows, and I thought at first you were religious, like some of the revered mothers. But no, I thought about it and I realized that you are not.
    Wynne: I do what I do because I enjoy it; because I enjoy teaching others, helping them. I do not seek recognition for my works. I do not seek the approval of my peers, nor the approval of a distant god.
    Leliana: That is admirable, doing good for its own sake. Some I knew were not like that. They bragged about what they did, trying to impress others. "Oh, Lady Adele, you fed and clothed twenty orphans, how noble!" "No, no, it is nothing, Lady Clarabelle. You treated forty lepers, and gave them massages!" Like a competition, with false modesty. Sickening.
    Wynne: Er, did Lady Clarabelle really give forty lepers massages?
    Leliana: Who knows. Lady Clarabelle had strange tastes. I wouldn't be surprised if she did that, and more.

I don't know. The phrase "nor the approval of a distant god" doesn't suggest faith to me. Wynne's basis for trying to stop the desecration of the Ashes was more based on it being a pointlessly malevolent thing to do, rather than her being especially devout. That's how I took it.
    I'm not suggesting that she has faith. I'm saying she believes in the Maker (she...specifically says she does), but she doesn't adhere to the teaching of the Maker/the Chantry. She doesn't care if she earns the Maker's approval for doing what she does, etc.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited August 2010
    rather major spoilers

Probably. That's how they treated you in Awakening, isn't it? Of course, if she responds to you with stunned disbelief and follow up by treating you like a ghost well... that's just icing on the cake.

I see. from the people I asked it sounded like they just skipped right over it.

Egos on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not suggesting that she has faith. I'm saying she believes in the Maker (she...specifically says she does), but she doesn't adhere to the teaching of the Maker/the Chantry. She doesn't care if she earns the Maker's approval for doing what she does, etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Couscous on
    edited August 2010
    rather major spoilers

I see. from the people I asked it sounded like they just skipped right over it.

It isn't a big thing. It basically boils down to the occasional "Hey I know you, you're probably competent".
    Alistair or Anora both call you the Hero of Fereldan, depending on who you put on the throne, and a few other people do the exact same thing. Nothing huge, but it's different from making a new Orlesian Warden to start the expansion with.

• VkiiSueVkiiSue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was incredibly dissapointed by the Awakening xpac. It wasn't terrible in and of itself, but for my first playthrough
    my warden sacrificed themselves, and it was a pretty huge emotional decision for me.

the fact that bioware ignored that and made it not cannon was really upsetting to me. I made the decision, it shouldn't have been changed for extra content. After I realized that, I just couldn't get into the game, I didn't even import my character, I just made a new one to see the story.

And nobody really treating you any differently would have irritated me too =/ It just felt really rushed.

VkiiSue on
    edited August 2010
    VkiiSue wrote: »
    I was incredibly dissapointed by the Awakening xpac. It wasn't terrible in and of itself, but for my first playthrough
    my warden sacrificed themselves, and it was a pretty huge emotional decision for me.

the fact that bioware ignored that and made it not cannon was really upsetting to me. I made the decision, it shouldn't have been changed for extra content. After I realized that, I just couldn't get into the game, I didn't even import my character, I just made a new one to see the story.

And nobody really treating you any differently would have irritated me too =/ It just felt really rushed.
    I don't really see the problem. If you are playing as an Orlesian Warder then your original Warden
    sacrificed himself. Where's the problem? It's not like your choices would have any impact on the Awakening campaign anyway since it's in a different region to begin with.

Silpheed on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The idea is that if you wanted your endgame choice to have a lasting effect, then you don't use that save. You just make a new character. But for some people, who maybe regretted making that choice, they have the option of handwaving it and playing it like nothing happened. Basically,
    The game only ignores your death if you choose to ignore your death.

Because the other option is to disable half the saves that people have from DA:O from being imported.

Lux on
    edited August 2010
    Lux wrote: »

The idea is that if you wanted your endgame choice to have a lasting effect, then you don't use that save. You just make a new character. But for some people, who maybe regretted making that choice, they have the option of handwaving it and playing it like nothing happened. Basically,

Because the other option is to disable half the saves that people have from DA:O from being imported.

Not true.

The solution is to allow the import and then make you play as the Orlesian Warden. I'm still shocked they didn't go that way.

gjaustin on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Not true.

The solution is to allow the import and then make you play as the Orlesian Warden. I'm still shocked they didn't go that way.

Some people wanted to import their warden, even if they sacrificed themselves in DA:O.

I mean, we're just giving you the option to ruin your own canon. If you take it, that's your choice, but there's nothing saying you need to take it. That's a conscious choice.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • SeryphSeryph Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm surprised people are so intent on preserving canon that they would cling to it at the expense of having a better game. It would make no sense to punish all the people who were like "Well, the game's over now, I guess I'm fine having my character die for the cause." In DA:O:Awakening you can be your old character... if you let them live! "Whaaaat....!?" I mean, there's a perfectly plausible explanation to preserve canon included in the game in the first place.

If the game provides major choices and then BioWare wants to build on some of those choices inevitably sometimes canon won't precisely link up. Even if it could have been maintained with certain structures in Awakening, then consider the Morrigan DLC, for example, which a lot of people (myself included) are excited about.

For me it all comes back to Sten. I don't care about the canon, if DA:O Sten looked like a qunari from DA2 he'd be on my team every time.

Seryph on
    edited August 2010
    vsove wrote: »

Not true.

Some people wanted to import their warden, even if they sacrificed themselves in DA:O.

I mean, we're just giving you the option to ruin your own canon. If you take it, that's your choice, but there's nothing saying you need to take it. That's a conscious choice.

Allowing people to import dead Wardens isn't really my point. I don't like it, but I understand why you did it.

I just don't understand why you guys didn't make an option to play as an Orlesian Warden using an imported save to set the relevant plot flags. It means that someone importing their game into DA2 can't have any plot flags from Awakening if they sacrificed themselves in DA:O.

Edit: Seryph - The problem is that there is literally no way to preserve canon and play Awakening. Best case is that you get lucky and your choice of King/Queen matches up.

Double Edit: I also picked one of the alternatives for the explicit reason that I wanted my character alive for the future. It forced me to make a real decision, rather than just picking the decision that was obviously the "noble" choice.

gjaustin on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Allowing people to import dead Wardens isn't really my point. I don't like it, but I understand why you did it.

I just don't understand why you guys didn't make an option to play as an Orlesian Warden using an imported save to set the relevant plot flags. It means that someone importing their game into DA2 can't have any plot flags from Awakening if they sacrificed themselves in DA:O.

Edit: Seryph - The problem is that there is literally no way to preserve canon and play Awakening. Best case is that you get lucky and your choice of King/Queen matches up.

That does make sense, actually. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking for.

I can't tell you why it wasn't done - I never worked on Awakenings.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited August 2010
    Considering how hurried the entire Awakenings campaign felt I'm not too surprised that stuff like that never made it into the final product.

Silpheed on
    edited August 2010

That does make sense, actually. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking for.

No worries, I can see how my comment would come across that way.

Perhaps this only seems obvious to me because of all the jokes about importing dead Shepard saves into ME3 :) I just assumed that the Orlesian Warden was what you used if your Warden was dead.

gjaustin on
  • VkiiSueVkiiSue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Perhaps this only seems obvious to me because of all the jokes about importing dead Shepard saves into ME3 :) I just assumed that the Orlesian Warden was what you used if your Warden was dead.

Same, I guess I didn't get that across at all, but I was just dissapointed that I had the option to either bring my character back, which I didn't want to do, or start over with an Orlesian with no real mention of my other character at all. It just made me kind of sad...I really loved my dead dwarf commoner, she took one for the team.

Also: why not bring in a dead shep to me3? Zombies are all the rage now: marvel did it, dc did it...why shouldn't bioware jump on the zombie train?
    that was a joke...please don't take it seriously...

VkiiSue on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wrapping up the stray pieces of DLC that I can use my warden in right now.

Hey, so fuck the Harvester on Hard, am I right? Damn.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

Shepard what now? You dare spoil a series I don't play for me in a topic not dedicated to it? That's it, the gloves are off. I call for a duel! Pistols at dawn, knave.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also: why not bring in a dead shep to me3? Zombies are all the rage now: marvel did it, dc did it...why shouldn't bioware jump on the zombie train?
    But Bioware already jumped on the zombie train. It's called 'Mass Effect 2'.

WotanAnubis on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

That makes the romances so much more creepy.

-Loki- on
  • Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Creepy? Come on. There's nothing creepy about Shep --

14wxb9l.jpg

Oh.

Back on topic: I've not messed with any of the DLC/expansions yet, but Witch Hunt may break that streak. I wanna know the 411 on my
    (Alistair's)

godbaby!

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Samm1ch wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Creepy? Come on. There's nothing creepy about Shep --

14wxb9l.jpg

Oh.

Back on topic: I've not messed with any of the DLC/expansions yet, but Witch Hunt may break that streak. I wanna know the 411 on my
    (Alistair's)

godbaby!
    I too, would like to know how my Godbaby is doing. I was hoping I could eventually rule the world with him/her/it.

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I kinda want the godbaby to be canon. Not so much cause I care about Morrigan (fuck her), but because I think it might make a nice plot/sub-plot in a future game.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited September 2010

Shepard what now? You dare spoil a series I don't play for me in a topic not dedicated to it? That's it, the gloves are off. I call for a duel! Pistols at dawn, knave.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm, but just in case:

Shepard being able to die in ME2 isn't a spoiler. There's a loading screen hint that says as much :)

gjaustin on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mass Effect 2's Shadow Broker DLC trailer was released today, and so was Witch Hunt's! Let us complain endlessly!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-dragon-age/703832

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, the Mass Effect trailer is better.

Still a day one purchase, but maybe a day two play.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    Do anyone know if there's a mod that removes the "forced" skill point at character creation? I was thinking of starting a two-handed or dualwielding Human Noble but that wasted point in the Shield tree irks me.

Silpheed on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can always go in and manually edit it with the editor. You also have to resist the temptation to make any other changes while in there.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    due to financial restraints I'm unable to purchase any DLC for the foreseeable future, I was wondering if someone could give me a quick story run down on:

origins, i.e. what's the deal with the architect and the mother?
    why did M. betray Leliana in "Leliana's Song"? From what I've been able to piece together she want's to betray orlais? why?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do anyone know if there's a mod that removes the "forced" skill point at character creation? I was thinking of starting a two-handed or dualwielding Human Noble but that wasted point in the Shield tree irks me.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited September 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9
    Thanks a lot :)

Silpheed on