As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judicial Affairs and the Middle Finger as an "obscene gesture"

flippantflippant Registered User new member
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Gonna make this as short as possible. Got a parking ticket at my university one morning, the same morning I was to buy a $100 parking permit for the semester. Of course they don't excuse it so I'm out an extra $50 on top of the $100 for about 1 hour of parking. Driving back from trying to get it excused (they refuse), I see a parking officer perched near where I park. I flipped him off while getting out of my car, then kept walking. Nothing more.

That was two months ago, and I've been contacted by Judicial Affairs about certain allegations being made against me by Parking & Transportation Services, relating to what is apparently now an "incident".

tl;dr - Flipped off state university parking cop, being charged with breach of conduct code for making an "obscene gesture".

On to my question, isn't this protected under the First Amendment? They're calling it an "obscene gesture", and that I violated this provision
(6) Disorderly, lewd, indecent, or obscene behavior at a University related activity, or directed towards a member of the University community.

but at the bottom of the conduct code it states that nothing within it can violate California Education Code Section 66301, the pertinent sections of which are below
(a) Neither the Regents of the University of California, the
Trustees of the California State University, the governing board of
a community college district, nor an administrator of any campus of
those institutions, shall make or enforce a rule subjecting a student
to disciplinary sanction solely on the basis of conduct that is
speech or other communication that, when engaged in outside a campus
of those institutions, is protected from governmental restriction by
the First Amendment
to the United States Constitution or Section 2 of
Article I of the California Constitution.

(d) This section does not prohibit the imposition of discipline
for harassment, threats, or intimidation, unless constitutionally
protected.

So regarding part a), the middle finger has been protected as Free Speech in the courts around the country. I've found at least a half dozen or so by simply googling "middle finger and free speech". Obscene speech and "fighting words" are the only things not protected as free speech, of which the middle finger is neither and the courts agree.

Can the university arbitrarily include the middle finger in their definition of harassment, even when it has not been "outside a campus of those institutions"? Can I fight this on the basis of first amendment rights or am I missing the part that allows them to strip me of those rights while on their property?

flippant on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    flippant wrote: »
    Can the university arbitrarily include the middle finger in their definition of harassment, even when it has not been "outside a campus of those institutions"? Can I fight this on the basis of first amendment rights or am I missing the part that allows them to strip me of those rights while on their property?

you can try
    but know that speech codes are relatively common in university settings (of varying legality) and fighting them alone without the help of a larger organization is nearly impossible

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This would be in the context of a pre-hearing conference, whose aim is to reach a settlement agreement. Accepting the settlement doesn't constitute an admission of guilt, yadda yadda.

flippant on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought that universities, being private organizations, can have their own set of rules, for which you may have signed when you started studying there; but apparently this is a state university, so maybe that changes things.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nibble wrote: »
    I thought that universities, being private organizations, can have their own set of rules, for which you may have signed when you started studying there; but apparently this is a state university, so maybe that changes things.

Right: state universities aren't private organizations.

admanb on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    heh, flippant.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I do not have any legal experience so take this with a grain of salt, but DO NOT ADMIT ANYTHING OR TALK TO ANYONE until you have gotten legal advise from someone who has knowledge on this subject. You cannot be legally compelled to testify against yourself but you can be tricked or mislead into it, so as long as you do not lie, do not confirm any part of any story anyone says. Without your admission I seriously doubt they have any solid evidence, and even if they do, you should see it before saying anything on the subject.

On the subject of free speech, while I think you are in the right legally, the only way your going to overturn a poor decision by whatever body rules on this is by suing the school.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What is the penalty if you are guilty of breach of conduct?

Awk on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They can prove it?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

You can try, but you will lose and will probably end up worse off than just apologizing. Student Judicial reviews generally have pretty broad discretion in my experience.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Nibble wrote: »

Right: state universities aren't private organizations.

Doesn't matter dude. Going to a state university isn't a right. It's a privilege. I don't feel like going into specifics right now, but I got charged with a major crime. I beat it before pretrial. However, after being charged the school charged me...except that with the school it began with an "investigative" hearing. The whole situation was bullshit to begin with, but at the end of the day the school "found me guilty" of essentially being a douchebag (that part was true however) and gave me some 40 hours or so of community service. Had I not done that I wouldn't have been allowed to graduate.

I didn't do shit, wasn't guilty of what I was charged with, beat the crime, but the school still has a standard of behavior that was violated. If you think the school can't come after you for shit go talk to the Duke lacrosse guys.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You're allowed to flip people off. No one's restricting that. People also have the right to sue/take action against you for harming them. I really don't get what this thread is about.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

You can try, but you will lose and will probably end up worse off than just apologizing. Student Judicial reviews generally have pretty broad discretion in my experience.

University hearings are not court hearings. The standards of evidence are minimal, you don't have to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and they can essentially do what they want with you. Just accept the punishment and learn not to take your anger out on a parking services schlub who was just doing his job.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    (6) Disorderly, lewd, indecent, or obscene behavior at a University related activity, or directed towards a member of the University community.

but at the bottom of the conduct code it states that nothing within it can violate California Education Code Section 66301, the pertinent sections of which are below
    of those institutions
    , is protected from governmental restriction by
    the First Amendment

protected.

Were you off compus? If not then this clause does not apply to you.

Having been on the Judicial Board for my college, if this is your first offense you will probably get away with a simple warning "Don't be a dick to staff of the school". You should be allowed to bring someone to vouch for you, either a faculty mentor, or some other person of respected position.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And don't be a dick to staff

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh and if they give you "community service" or "grown up detention" or whatever, just do it. They can put shit on your transcript like "Conduct penalty not completed" that isn't fun to explain if you're applying to grad school.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    You're allowed to flip people off. No one's restricting that. People also have the right to sue/take action against you for harming them. I really don't get what this thread is about.

Ffffffff. Nobody is suing him and the first amendment bars many tort claims. why do people not get these things ffffffff. Their code is probably unconstitutiona. Talk to FIRE, they may be interested in helping you get rid of the code.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would call the ACLU.

I'm not saying that you need to sue your school or anything, but this is exactly the kind of thing they go for, and the odds of a UC wanting to get into it with you over you flipping off a parking officer are pretty low. They would probably just have to write a letter, and it would disappear, because it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kaliyama wrote: »

Ffffffff. Nobody is suing him and the first amendment bars many tort claims. why do people not get these things ffffffff. Their code is probably unconstitutiona. Talk to FIRE, they may be interested in helping you get rid of the code.

I can mouth off in class and while my constitutional rights are protected, they have every right to kick my ass out of class. When you're on school property, it's best not to blatantly be an ass to the staff. It's a school issue, not a public one.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tavataar wrote: »

of those institutions
    the First Amendment

protected.

Having been on the Judicial Board for my college, if this is your first offense you will probably get away with a simple warning "Don't be a dick to staff of the school". You should be allowed to bring someone to vouch for you, either a faculty mentor, or some other person of respected position.
    You need to read the whole thing, instead of just cherry-picking one phrase; what that says is that they're not allowed to discipline students for speech that, if it had been expressed off-campus, would be protected by the first amendment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes, I'm sure it's unconstitutional. I'm sure they don't have an ARMY of lawyers that pour over every single one of their rules and regulations to make sure it meets the standards of constitutionality, and I'm sure that the broad deference courts give to the college systems to adjudicate these cases will just happen to come down on the OP's side, despite it rarely if ever doing so for anyone else.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yes, I'm sure it's unconstitutional. I'm sure they don't have an ARMY of lawyers that pour over every single one of their rules and regulations to make sure it meets the standards of constitutionality, and I'm sure that the broad deference courts give to the college systems to adjudicate these cases will just happen to come down on the OP's side, despite it rarely if ever doing so for anyone else.
    You're talking about a California public school; it's handled quite a bit differently than private schools are.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You're talking about a California public school; it's handled quite a bit differently than private schools are.

No, I know, but since the end of in loco parentis courts have typically deferred to institutions, including public universities, in terms of how their policies are enforced. More to the point, the part of the school's bylaws the OP gave us may not even apply in this instance, since we don't know who is charging him, or what exactly he is being charged with.

I'm not saying contacting the ACLU is remiss here, just that it's likely not as cut and dry as most people seem to think free speech issues are.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would assume he's being "charged" within the bounds of the university. None of this other shit applies. It's a violation of their code of conduct and thus they can do what they want within the bounds of their system. They're not "suing" him.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    IANAACLUL, but you do not have a constitutional right to flip off a university staffmember without reprisal from the university.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They can prove it?

Seriously, this. My college you basically had to 'accept' punishment. If you didn't, the school could either A) press charges or B) Drop it.

If they can't prove it, you're fine.

Also, it goes without saying, don't be a dope when cops are looking. They can make your life difficult in approximately 9000 ways (as evidence by this thread).

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They can prove it?

Seriously, this. My college you basically had to 'accept' punishment. If you didn't, the school could either A) press charges or B) Drop it.

Also, it goes without saying, don't be a dope when cops are looking. They can make your life difficult in approximately 9000 ways (as evidence by this thread).

That hasn't been the case at ANY of the three public institutions I have worked at. They don't have to prove shit. It's not a court and isn't held to standards anywhere NEAR that level.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but if they discipline you, and you're paying, and you didn't do anything, you can pretty much take them to court if you want to foot the bills. Problem is, no one really wants to foot the bill so they deal with the warning or the 4 hours of community service.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They can prove it?

From the information given: YES. They can easily prove it.

I imagine the car he got out of and walked away from has the same tag number as the car he registered for the parking permit. It doesn't take a supercop to write down a tag number, look up the OP's ID picture on the student directory and say "That's the asshole that flipped me off".

Deebaser on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or you know, you could just apologize for being an asshole to a random stranger because you were in a bad mood and go on with your life. That works too.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but I could walk in and say "Deebaser flipped me off" and it has no basis. If there isn't a witness it's he said/she said and it pretty much should be thrown out. If there is a witness, punishment can be doled out. Depends how you present yourself to the judiciary board.

Not sure what else to say. Generally I'm all for sticking up for yourself when you're not at fault. I guess don't flip off cops in the future, and good luck with the hearing.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but I could walk in and say "Deebaser flipped me off" and it has no basis. If there isn't a witness it's he said/she said and it pretty much should be thrown out. If there is a witness, punishment can be doled out. Depends how you present yourself to the judiciary board.

Not sure what else to say. Generally I'm all for sticking up for yourself when you're not at fault. I guess don't flip off cops in the future, and good luck with the hearing.

It's not he/said she/said though, it's a University employee, which automatically gives them the benefit of the doubt. That may not be fair, but it has been like that everywhere I have worked.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's not he/said she/said though, it's a University employee, which automatically gives them the benefit of the doubt. That may not be fair, but it has been like that everywhere I have worked.

Also, there's no reason to give him advice for beating the charge with the burden of proof when he admits to doing it.

Am I the only one here thinking he should man up, accept the fact that what he did was wrong and misdirected toward the wrong person, in the wrong way, and just apologize and/or take whatever slap on the wrist they give him?

Don't get me wrong OP, if you go to this hearing and they try to throw a two hundred dollar fine on you or something, the lawyer up, by all means. But if all you have to do is apologize or do a little community service, take it as a lesson learned not to flip the bird to strangers when you're pissed off.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I agree.

But I'm not sure how "employee vs customer" stands up at these things. Usually the judiciary boards handle student vs student disputes in my experience.

@amateurhour: that's the best thing to be doing I think

bowen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I agree.

But I'm not sure how "employee vs customer" stands up at these things. Usually the judiciary boards handle student vs student disputes in my experience.

In my experience, when it's someone the University depends on to enforce policy i.e. police aids, Resident assistants, parking services employees, etc. they are always given the benefit of the doubt. Which makes sense, since they are supposed to serve as the eyes and ears of the University.

And yes AH, I do think he should just man up and apologize. Parking services employee's get enough shit for just doing their jobs.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I agree.

In my experience, when it's someone the University depends on to enforce policy i.e. police aids, Resident assistants, parking services employees, etc. they are always given the benefit of the doubt. Which makes sense, since they are supposed to serve as the eyes and ears of the University.

And yes AH, I do think he should just man up and apologize. Parking services employee's get enough shit for just doing their jobs.

I can't imagine being a parking services or parking cop. Poor, poor, guys...

Esh on
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Tavataar wrote: »

of those institutions
    the First Amendment

protected.

You need to read the whole thing, instead of just cherry-picking one phrase; what that says is that they're not allowed to discipline students for speech that, if it had been expressed off-campus, would be protected by the first amendment.

Touche Thanatos, I misinterpreted the phrasing of that.

I would say that if there are enough other cases that have been shown in real courts to protect flipping someone off, that you could take that to your hearing as your defense, and quote this section of the rule book.

Whatever you do, just don't be an ass about it. Judicial Boards respond well to people being polite and organized.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well it's all over and done with so the rampant speculation can cease.

First off, to those who said I should "just man up and apologize" that was always my intention, I was never soliciting anyone in here for advice on how to lie my way out of the situation. I simply wanted to know if what I had done was protected speech or not. I was always willing to admit that this was not the best way of handling the situation, but nonetheless wanted assurances that it was punishable.

Well I met with the person this morning and basically recounted the situation, I was very nice about it and they in turn were nice. I'm on disciplinary probation for one quarter, or 10 weeks, down from the full year they quoted me in the letter.

All in all a pretty light sentence and I learned my lesson.

flippant on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or you know, you could just apologize for being an asshole to a random stranger because you were in a bad mood and go on with your life. That works too.

So hard.

You don't get parking tickets unless you park somewhere against the rules. That's how it works. It wasn't the parking attendant's or the school's fault you can't control yourself. Calling the ACLU and suing your school, or even just trying to weasel your way out of this is frankly bullshit.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow thanks for once again trying to push that in my face Chanus, after I've already come in here and said that I resolved the situation. And your conception of why I got the ticket isn't as objective as you'd like to make it sound. This had to do with a changeover in parking permits from one term to the next, I wasn't parked in a loading zone or something.

But you know, thanks for simplifying my life into one sentence so you can judge it. That's really easy.

Please tell me what the possible constructive use of your post is after I've already personally atoned for this, other than to rub sand in an open wound?

flippant on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey - at least he didn't flip you off. :P

Zombie Nirvana on
This discussion has been closed.