As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Passport Missing

MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a Canadian Citizen. I'm finalizing my preparations for PAX.

I've had my passport in a specific spot for at least a couple months just to make sure that I know where it is for the trip down south. Doing my last check today I look and see that it's not the passport I've been using the past couple years; it's an older one which has expired. In the process of moving homes a few months ago I may have left the current one behind in storage, thinking it was this one.

I'm planning to look for it, but...

My flight is tomorrow. Am I fucked without an up to date passport? 1 day isn't nearly enough time for a replacement.

Meiteron on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Meiteron wrote: »
    I'm a Canadian Citizen. I'm finalizing my preparations for PAX.

I've had my passport in a specific spot for at least a couple months just to make sure that I know where it is for the trip down south. Doing my last check today I look and see that it's not the passport I've been using the past couple years; it's an older one which has expired. In the process of moving homes a few months ago I may have left the current one behind in storage, thinking it was this one.

I'm planning to look for it, but...

My flight is tomorrow. Am I fucked without an up to date passport? 1 day isn't nearly enough time for a replacement.

You could try calling the airport? But I'm going to say, that yes, you're probably fucked.

Esh on
  • Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thank god for organized storage habits; returned to my old place and found the up-to-date one where I was storing it before. So this problem's fixed.

Back on track! I think I aged 5 years in this past hour, though.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, what a scare, glad you found it. :^:

Because yeah, you'd be proper fucked.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just for anyone in a similar situation, here is what happens when you lose your passport in Canada:

You must file a police report for a lost/stolen passport. There is no way around this short of finding it. You then take the police report to the passport office and apply for a new one. You then wait.

Yes, you would have been fucked for your flight. Apparently, you are allowed a single entry into the US without a passport, but it really depends on the customs officer you get.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Apparently, you are allowed a single entry into the US without a passport, but it really depends on the customs officer you get.
    I was wondering about this. The last time I went out of the country was pre-9/11 and thus pre-America-freaks-out. I remember the good old days where you just crossed the Canadian border and back again and everyone was smiling and happy.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ^Yeah, I remember that too. I used to enter the US all the time when I was driving from Edmonton to near Toronto, and aside from the occasional stares, we got in fine.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Apparently, you are allowed a single entry into the US without a passport, but it really depends on the customs officer you get.
    I was wondering about this. The last time I went out of the country was pre-9/11 and thus pre-America-freaks-out. I remember the good old days where you just crossed the Canadian border and back again and everyone was smiling and happy.

i'm pretty sure this is no longer true: http://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm#2

you need a passport or other document that satisfactorily proves your citizenship. doesn't matter on who you get for a customs officer.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

i'm pretty sure this is no longer true: http://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm#2

you need a passport or other document that satisfactorily proves your citizenship. doesn't matter on who you get for a customs officer.

I know that you need a passport to enter the US. I am saying they apparently allow you to do so once without your passport.

I was allowed this past Christmas when I forgot mine. The customs officer was a total douche too, telling me next time he's going to fine me $2000. For forgetting my passport? Okay. He said he's going to "make a note in my file."

The next time I drove over (two weeks ago). I stopped at duty free and bought a shit load of booze (2 cases of beer, 2 packs of coolers, and 6 40oz bottles of liqour) and declared it, had my receipt, and asked where I go to pay the duty. It was the exact same guy, and he flipped on me. He went off about how the duty free store is just like Walmart and I can't just buy whatever and bring it over. He said, "You think you know the US law?" I said, "I guess not. I was under the impression I just pay duty on overages. What do I do?" He said, "You have to pay duty!"

I just stared blankly and said, "Okay then."

And he said, "I'm going to make a note in your file and let you go this time. Next time, you won't be so lucky."

So, even douche custom officers have to obey their own douchey laws.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I know that you need a passport to enter the US. I am saying they apparently allow you to do so once without your passport.

I was allowed this past Christmas when I forgot mine. The customs officer was a total douche too, telling me next time he's going to fine me $2000. For forgetting my passport? Okay. He said he's going to "make a note in my file."

The next time I drove over (two weeks ago). I stopped at duty free and bought a shit load of booze (2 cases of beer, 2 packs of coolers, and 6 40oz bottles of liqour) and declared it, had my receipt, and asked where I go to pay the duty. It was the exact same guy, and he flipped on me. He went off about how the duty free store is just like Walmart and I can't just buy whatever and bring it over. He said, "You think you know the US law?" I said, "I guess not. I was under the impression I just pay duty on overages. What do I do?" He said, "You have to pay duty!"

I just stared blankly and said, "Okay then."

And he said, "I'm going to make a note in your file and let you go this time. Next time, you won't be so lucky."

So, even douche custom officers have to obey their own douchey laws.

CBP officers have a degree of discretion at the border, true. but the words of the post-June 2009 regulations are pretty darn clear: you need a "a passport or secure document when entering the United States by air" or if entering by a land or sea port of entry, a "single document that complies with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)." there is no "one time exception" to the rule. technically, what the CBP officer did was against the law, too.

then again, ignorant CBP officers isn't really surprising.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562