As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

5 Day Weather Forecast

NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in PAX Archive
Granted, we will be inside for most of PAX, but I just wanted to put out the weather report, regardless.

King 5 Weather

At 747am pac time (-8GMT), Im looking out the windows at the airport and it's the soul sucking color leeching grey that I know and love. Well, it's more or less making everyone *else* miserable. Im as happy as a duck.

Towards the end of today and starting tomorrow its back to cool temperatures, sunshine and lollipops with a chance for rain on Saturday.

Hope you guys at least got a jacket.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
NotoriusBEN on

• Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was actually pretty excited when I saw it was raining this morning. It's been too long, in my opinion!

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was a little excited to wake up and hear the rain. Maybe my apartment will cool off enough to sleep. (Sandwiched in a 2nd floor unit, takes weeks to cool down.)

I think this is a good time to point out to non-Seattleites/Washingtonians it would be wise to ensure your comfortable PAX shoes are something relatively water resistant. Nothing sucks more than wearing canvas shoes in the rain. Unless you like that squishy feeling all day.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't even think about water-resistant shoes! With all the walking I'll be doing on the Magical Mystery Tour I'd better find my waterproofing spray tonight.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    *sigh*
    Yeah, I'm a native, but I was hoping for just one more day of okay weather. Was supposed to go the Mariners game tonight, but coworkers are bailing on me cause of the rain.

Cooler temps will probably be better for the majority of the Con though. Considering we have those 5 harrowing blocks to walk to get the Benaroya now.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just went out for errands this morning and got soaked.

But why are people saying it'll rain during PAX? I know nobody can predict the weather, but weather.com is saying it'll be sunny for all of PAX.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0395

Heleor on
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any suggestions on repairing a small hole on the bottom of your shoe that lets in water? Mine creased from wear and I was thinking of plugging it with epoxy to deal with the rain :)

chrisstie on
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    given that my costume has like 4 layers to it, the cool weather will be nice :)

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cliff Mass (the weather God of the Northwest (and no, I'm not exaggerating)) says the next few days are gonna be crap.
    http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

It might not soak on PAX, but it won't be bright and sunny.

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Enigmas wrote: »
    Cliff Mass (the weather God of the Northwest (and no, I'm not exaggerating)) says the next few days are gonna be crap.

That's a nice blog. Bookmarked. :)

Heleor on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    chrisstie wrote: »
    Any suggestions on repairing a small hole on the bottom of your shoe that lets in water? Mine creased from wear and I was thinking of plugging it with epoxy to deal with the rain :)

Shoe repair is pretty cheap and every mall has some little shoe repair kiosk (or they used to). They could probably give you an estimate and time frame for getting it fixed.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Us BCers are just trying to make sure Seattle feels homey before we all head down. ;)

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    DrakanwolfDrakanwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    I just went out for errands this morning and got soaked.

But why are people saying it'll rain during PAX? I know nobody can predict the weather, but weather.com is saying it'll be sunny for all of PAX.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWA0395

And this is why I always carry a poncho in my bag of tricks. You never know when you'll get caught in a freak rainstorm, and anyone who would make fun of you for carrying a poncho will immediately shut up when they realize they have to run 3 blocks in a downpour.

-DW

Drakanwolf on
    When there's trouble, you call DW!
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So...I should probably buy an umbrella when I get there?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Us BCers are just trying to make sure Seattle feels homey before we all head down. ;)

Besides the fact that it's been like super sunny for the longest time up here (minus today) :P

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes. I haven't felt at home here in a very long time.
    tr0tsky wrote: »

Besides the fact that it's been like super sunny for the longest time up here (minus today) :P

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Enigmas wrote: »

<3 Cliff Mass! He's always the go to for severe weather and says it like it is. Though Jeff and Rich on King5 are generally pretty good too, they tend to miss on snow though.

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    So...I should probably buy an umbrella when I get there?
    Or a folded up rain poncho to keep in your bag. They sell them at just about every drugstore.

This is the PNW, even if the weather report says sunny, unless there are no clouds in the sky that morning you should never be surprised by rain. See, other places (like NYC) get more precipitation but we get more rain Fall-spring is sort of consistently damp. And it can be drizzly and cool for an hour, then sunny and warm for an hour, then hailing, then drizzly, then sunny again then....you get what I mean. I remember one April where it was snowing on one side of the convention center, and sunny on the other.

We do get gorgeous weather sometimes, I swear! Just sometimes our weather is a bit bi-polar....

Saxicide on
  • Options
    BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was a little excited to wake up and hear the rain. Maybe my apartment will cool off enough to sleep. (Sandwiched in a 2nd floor unit, takes weeks to cool down.)

I think this is a good time to point out to non-Seattleites/Washingtonians it would be wise to ensure your comfortable PAX shoes are something relatively water resistant. Nothing sucks more than wearing canvas shoes in the rain. Unless you like that squishy feeling all day.

That's actually... a huge problem. My comfortable shoes are the ones where the bottoms have almost entirely worn away. Part of the reason I got new shoes was because they'd fill with water. The only problem is that my new pair aren't nearly as comfortable for long periods of walking so I still default back to the old, impossibly broken ones when I need to. Hmm... I have no idea how I'm going to fix this in less than a day, but thanks for the warning.

Here I was thinking that this trip would give me a chance to escape the misery of cold, foggy SF "summers" and actually experience a bit of warm weather. Bring my shorts out of the bottom drawer for once. Looks like the gods are punishing me for my hubris.

Belgand on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think anybody needs to worry. I'm pretty sure I've been struck with a curse which makes it hot and sunny and gross everywhere I go.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I don't think anybody needs to worry. I'm pretty sure I've been struck with a curse which makes it hot and sunny and gross everywhere I go.

You mean weather that's consistently in the mid-80s and never, ever dips below 70 degrees? I will need to find you during the con so I can kidnap you back home with me.

Belgand on
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Elgaladwen wrote: »
    I was actually pretty excited when I saw it was raining this morning. It's been too long, in my opinion!

Agreed, the retention ponds around the Overlake Med center had almost totally dried up. Kinda shocking that I moved out here expecting tons of todays weather and it has been so dry the past two months!

Emerez on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »

That's actually... a huge problem. My comfortable shoes are the ones where the bottoms have almost entirely worn away. Part of the reason I got new shoes was because they'd fill with water. The only problem is that my new pair aren't nearly as comfortable for long periods of walking so I still default back to the old, impossibly broken ones when I need to. Hmm... I have no idea how I'm going to fix this in less than a day, but thanks for the warning.

It's not like the streets are going to be flooded or anything. Just super lame when you think oh I'll wear my old converse or running shoes and they're made of canvas or ultra "breathable" mesh when you do slosh through something deep or the random river that cropped up in the street (first serious rain all summer). The bigger problem is too long pant legs that wick every bit of damp off the sidewalk.

I actually bought new Converse at Nordstrom in the middle of my first PAX in 2008 because the small worn in hole that made them look edgy and all my own, tore really huge. LOL trying to get service at Nordstrom decked out with all my PAX gear was an interesting experience!

trickycoolj on
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »

If you have sneakers, you could try some of the thin Dr Schoals. Or running them through the washer/dryer one cycle to loosen up the materials for easier breaking.

Also, not sure how much $$ you want to spend on this but you could go to a shoe repair shop and get the old pair re-treaded.

Emerez on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't think you quite understand. The bottom at the back is almost entirely worn away. As in I can easily reach through the entire shoe. After wearing off the initial rubber on the bottom I wore through the rubber mesh below that and now I'm dangerously close to just having the pads inside on the ground.

Just walking out to the mailbox here during the rainy season was enough to leave them soaked and squishy for hours. As I said, it's a major reason why I admitted that they had finally given their all and moved on to a new pair with a more easily replaceable sole.

For an old pair of sneakers it's not worth doing anything to fix them. I'll just have to find an alternate solution.

Belgand on
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My favorite solution to wet weather that's above 55 degrees or so is a rain jacket, shorts and sandals. That way I don't have wet pant legs for hours and while my feet do get wet they dry off pretty quickly. This only works if it's warm enough for you outside, though.

Bring a pair of shorts anyways, it might be nice! It just also might not >.<

Saxicide on
This discussion has been closed.