As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Invasion of privacy?

2»

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    I can't really think of a reason to video record someone using their computer without their knowledge, besides wanting to catch them masturbating.

I think that this says more about you than the step father.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Whether or not to get the police involved or to accuse his father of being a pervert has nothing to do with his justifications and every thing to do with not actually having any evidence. If you actually know that he has footage of your sister(s) nude or partially undressed, then you have evidence of something inappropriate and his justifications aren't really relevant. Trust issues don't excuse taking and keeping inappropriate footage of them. But without evidence, you also shouldn't be making accusations you can't back up.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I can't really think of a reason to video record someone using their computer without their knowledge, besides wanting to catch them masturbating.

I think that this says more about you than the step father.
    Not really, since I'm not the one secretly recording my stepkids using their computer.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Whether or not to get the police involved or to accuse his father of being a pervert has nothing to do with his justifications and every thing to do with not actually having any evidence. If you actually know that he has footage of your sister(s) nude or partially undressed, then you have evidence of something inappropriate and his justifications aren't really relevant. Trust issues don't excuse taking and keeping inappropriate footage of them. But without evidence, you also shouldn't be making accusations you can't back up.

We're on the same page then. I'm not excusing him, I'm just advocating the same thing. You need proof before you can even suggest it.

I just want to defend a piece of the guy's honor since the suggestion of sexual predatory on any form never seems to follow the "Innocent until proven guilty" line of thought to the public eye.

Sipex on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He's not recording people using the computer - it's a motion activated camera that records things happening in front of the computer, including the public area of the house.

I find it incredibly sad that many people are jumping towards the sexual deviant angle. The thread states they (both parents? only one?) caught the older sister doing drugs or something bad previously. Considering the track record, I would be surprised if they didn't have some kind of computer monitoring considering it worked well in the past.

Tejs on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If the mom doesn't know about this, the creep potential goes up 1000%.

Hoz on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Potential is not guilt.

Potential is not guilt.

admanb on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can't you just see what the saved files are and go from there? If there's something on there that's not appropriate, then deal with it then. If you're still really uncomfortable with it, move out, as it's not your house.

badpoet on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    admanb wrote: »

Potential is not guilt.

Potential is not guilt.

But in this case potential is grounds for confrontation. And the OP should confront the stepfather and mother about this.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which is what everyone has been saying from the very beginning.

But there's a biiiiig difference between approaching it as a major and unnecessary invasion of privacy, and approaching it as OMG stepdad's a pedophile!

admanb on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Exactly, those of us promoting the idea of "Don't judge him for crimes you don't know he's committed yet." aren't saying "Drop it."

Sipex on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Most important advice in the thread right here yo.

Move out! MOVE OUT! MOVE OUT!

...move out.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'd be looking into new accomadations immediately.

Also, if it's something innoccuous like a cheap security system, then surely he'll be happy to show the recorded footage, especially as it happened in 'general' areas of the home?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Potential is not guilt.

Potential is not guilt.

Making a parenting decision like this without your spouse's permission, especially when the kids are not your biological offspring, violates the trust of the kids and spouse. So, even if the recordings aren't sexual in nature, he'd still be a creep.

Basically, this all comes down to whether or not the mother knows, consented, and can access the recordings herself.

Also, I doubt the OP even needs to raise the specter of pedophilia when confronting his mother about this. I'm sure her mind will automatically consider the possibility, just as ours have.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Potential is not guilt.

Potential is not guilt.

Making a parenting decision like this without your spouse's permission, especially when the kids are not your biological offspring, violates the trust of the kids and spouse. So, even if the recordings aren't sexual in nature, he'd still be a creep.

Basically, this all comes down to whether or not the mother knows, consented, and can access the recordings herself.

Also, I doubt the OP even needs to raise the specter of pedophilia when confronting his mother about this. I'm sure her mind will automatically consider the possibility, just as ours have.

And it's a damn shame really that we resort to things like this off the bat, probably says something about the dangers in society.

I personally don't think it is though. You have a guy who can set up a recording system which can feed to his work computer and back up chosen records with encryption. This tells me that while he doesn't need to be a total wiz he knows what he's doing and he'd hide the files a whole lot better if they contained something of that level.

Again, talking to the guy and mother is the only way to know though.

Or hacking into the footage somehow I guess.

Sipex on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just spoke with my mother about this and she is very upset. She did not know about the camera at all.

The reason I can't access the files is because I don't understand how this fucking Time Machine/Capsule works. When I saw the files being backed up, I saw all of the different days that he had saved, but I couldn't access the files while it was backing up. I stopped the back up, but then the Time Machine disappeared. I took the Time Capsule to my room to try to access the files, but I don't have the right USB cable. The Time Capsule plugs into an AC outlet, and then it has a normal USB plugged into it, and at the end of that cable is a B type (I think) USB port that was plugged into our printer. I don't understand how the printer is involved. I am pretty sure he was somehow using his personal laptop to commission the Time Machine to back stuff up, since he has lots of stuff connected. Any Time Machine experts? How can I access this on my Macbook?

My mother's plan is to have me and her go up to him and ask to see what he saved and why. I plan on using my search skills to find everything I can, but this won't be until at least Sunday. I have been turning off the camera when I go downstairs, and if he is using his iPhone to monitor the situation as much as I think he is (push notifications are turned on), then I think he knows I have been turning it off. I am mostly worried that by the time I get back from PAX that all evidence of him saving specific days will be gone.

I'll answer more specific questions when I get back from work later tonight.

EDIT: I feel like I should mention that at the top of the stairs is the door to the bathroom. I can't tell you how many times I've used the bathroom with the door open when I thought I was home alone, or walked out of the shower not fully dressed. My mom and sister say the same thing. It can see the whole bathroom if the door is open. Food for thought

Qorzm on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good, let us know if you need anything else.

Sipex on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    P.S. Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I truly appreciate it!

Qorzm on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Time Machine creates a folder on the external drive whose name contains the current date and time. It then copies the entire primary hard drive[1] (except for files and directories that it has specifically been told not to copy) to the folder. Every hour thereafter, it creates a new folder on the remote drive using the same naming scheme, but instead of making another complete copy of the primary hard drive, Time Machine instead only backs up files that have changed and creates hard links to files that already exist on the remote drive. A user can browse these "versions" of the primary drive and see each file as if it were right where it was left.
    The device includes a full AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n wireless (now with Dual Band Support), an Ethernet WAN port, three Ethernet LAN ports, and one USB port. There is also a "Server grade" hard drive inside the casing. Introduced at Macworld Expo 2008 and was released on February 29, 2008, with pricing announced at US$299 (£199) for the 500 GB version and US$499 (£329) for the 1 TB version.

The USB port can be used for an external hard drive or a printer to be shared over the network.

So, first off, having the printer plugged in isn't a big deal. Also, that USB isn't for you to connect your computer.

It seems that This article will be very useful. It talks about an app called Back-In-Time which allows you to:
    Show how many versions of each document are available, and when they were saved. Show items that were deleted. Drag and Drop to copy items anywhere. Open multiple browsers at the same time. Handle multiple Time Machine disks. Access Time Machine data from other Macs. Delete items in Time Machine backups. Preview different versions of each document.

The article gives you a blow-by-blow guide of using it.

BoomShake on