As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What DS Games to get for PAX?

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello,
I only own scribblenauts and the layton games. What should I buy to bring to PAX?

fwKS7.png?1
kaliyama on

• SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How much gaming time are you looking at and what kinds of games do you like? Puzzles?

Off the top of my head get Puzzle Quest or Puzzle Quest 2, both great puzzlers. Also, Henry Hatsworth.

Sipex on
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you are interested in The World Ends With You at all you can earn eighty hojillion xp by just carrying your ds around in your pocket.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragon Quest IX, Mario Kart, Pokemon, anything with a "download and play" function.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was just wondering what other people will be playing so I can be social - so DQ IX, mario kart sound good. I've never seen this pokemon thing. What cart should I get?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HeartGold/SoulSilver are the newer ones and they come packed with the pokewalker thing, which is the handy thing at cons.

However, if you aren't sure about investing in it (training up guys to battle takes a lot of time), then you can pass on Pokemon.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    HeartGold/SoulSilver are the newer ones and they come packed with the pokewalker thing, which is the handy thing at cons.

However, if you aren't sure about investing in it (training up guys to battle takes a lot of time), then you can pass on Pokemon.

Yeah, pokemon is awesome, but anyone battling that's over 13 years old is probably EV training and you're not going to stand a chance in a match with your Elite four team.

It's hella fun though if you've got the time, but even when I was unemployed it still took me three weeks of like five hour play sessions to put together a decent team, which was still easily beatable.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you are interested in The World Ends With You at all you can earn eighty hojillion xp by just carrying your ds around in your pocket.

Remember, you can only earn up to a certain amount at a time, and then you have to reconnect.

But yeah, PAX is the best time to start this game.

joshofalltrades on
  • IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As far as multiplayer games go Tetris hasn't been mentioned yet, and that makes me sad.

Also from past PAXs, I have noticed that wireless can be a bit iffy in the more crowded areas, such as the longer lines.

Irtehmongoose on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd suggest DQIX, since PAX is probably one of the few chances you'd get to really use all the wi-fi features they made for it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'd suggest DQIX, since PAX is probably one of the few chances you'd get to really use all the wi-fi features they made for it

Hey, how far into that game are the WIFI features? I remember them being pretty deep into the story of TWEWY and Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town.

RoyceSraphim on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Hey, how far into that game are the WIFI features? I remember them being pretty deep into the story of TWEWY and Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town.

A little after you get to the second town in the game, probably 2 to 5 hours in.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Grabbed mario kart, dq9 and jagged alliance(!!!!) on pine here in Seattle. The girl at the checkout stand pegged me as a PAXer from my choice of Mario kart. I asked her how hygiene was - she said poor in the last few years. So please, my advice to everyone is to shower.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Remember, you can only earn up to a certain amount at a time, and then you have to reconnect.

But yeah, PAX is the best time to start this game.

Last year I pulled out TWEWY for shits and giggles while waiting in line for the SW:ToR event. I would pop on the social mode, then hit the maximum quota for social experience per session in 8 seconds. If you bring the game to PAX you will be able to get infinite amounts of experience, as long as you've got the patience to go through the menus a bunch.

PAX also presents a unique opportunity as being quite possibly the only place you will ever find someone else to play the DQ9 multiplayer with.

Dehumanized on