As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• frobearfrobear Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The program book and lanyard will be available at the same location you get the bag, but they won't be in the bag already.
    The bags contain some really cool stuff this year (the Enforcers stuffed all >20,000 bags this past Sunday, so we know what's in them). I can't divulge the details of the contents; you'll find out on Friday when you get your bag.

Here's a question, will there be extra swag bags available on Friday night and/or Saturday morning? Getting mine in line on Friday morning but I'll have a late-arrival first-timer with me later that night and the rest of the weekend and I wouldn't want her to miss out.

frobear on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    frobear wrote: »
    The program book and lanyard will be available at the same location you get the bag, but they won't be in the bag already.
    The bags contain some really cool stuff this year (the Enforcers stuffed all >20,000 bags this past Sunday, so we know what's in them). I can't divulge the details of the contents; you'll find out on Friday when you get your bag.

Here's a question, will there be extra swag bags available on Friday night and/or Saturday morning? Getting mine in line on Friday morning but I'll have a late-arrival first-timer with me later that night and the rest of the weekend and I wouldn't want her to miss out.

There usually are.

Also minor hints at contents just got me really psyched. The magic decks at east were awesome, can't wait to see if that gets topped.

SlickShughes on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    frobear wrote: »
    It varies every PAX, but we don't usually run out of bags until Saturday evening or Sunday morning. One bag per attendee; don't be a dick.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • ZeroOmegaZeroOmega Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And he keeps on claiming I don't need a pre-registration packet to get in, just the badge. Is he lying? Or telling the truth? Because every time I bother him, he says that he only got badges in the mail, and not the pre-registration packet as well...

ZeroOmega on
  • skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You only need the badge to get in, so as long as you have that, you should be golden.

Think if they had to check EVERYONE'S pre-reg packets. That's 75,000 people. It's much easier to just flash your badge at the door...

skylatron on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, man. Was scared half to death about it, that I got ripped off.

ZeroOmega on
  • karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ZeroOmega wrote: »
    And he keeps on claiming I don't need a pre-registration packet to get in, just the badge. Is he lying? Or telling the truth? Because every time I bother him, he says that he only got badges in the mail, and not the pre-registration packet as well...

There isn't really much included with the badge that was mailed. One paper explaining where the various PAX buildings are and what the hours are, one promotional card telling you to check out a booth, and the badge. As long as it is a valid badge, you're good to go.
    Pics of all the materials
    4945698339_80055a976b.jpg
    4946282958_cba6137a7d.jpg
    4945698279_994e179904.jpg

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
    edited August 2010
    Do the badges have a barcode on the back, or just the rules, hours, and show directory like mine does?
    And thanks to everyone in the thread for helping me out...I mean it.

ZeroOmega on
    edited August 2010
    Do the badges have a barcode on the back, or just the rules, hours, and show directory like mine does?
    And thanks to everyone in the thread for helping me out...I mean it.

No barcodes or magnetic strips on these badges.
    4945716469_3fd3a40cd0.jpg

karmacappa on
    edited August 2010
    Mine are legit, thanks for the help! Hope you have fun at PAX too.

ZeroOmega on
    edited August 2010
    My pleasure and I'll see you there!

karmacappa on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    soonerjudd wrote: »
    What's all this about swag bags? Are they bags to put swag in, or do they already come swag-ified? Are they limited like the wristbands?

IMO, skip them. There usually just filled with ads and no real swag.

The_Reflection on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    By definition, they are full of swag: Stuff We All Get. Freebies you get at booths are also SWAG, but if you had to succeed in a task or win a contest, it's a prize and not swag. Some of the things inside the bags are not just ads, but actual product samples.

jaberwockynmt on
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    edited August 2010
    skylatron wrote: »
    Think if they had to check EVERYONE'S pre-reg packets. That's 75,000 people. It's much easier to just flash your badge at the door...
    The "75,000" number is called a "Turnstile" attendance and is not a count of the number of people at the convention.

For instance, a much smaller convention with 6,000 attendance that only sells 3-day badges means they sold 2,000 badges and therefore only have 2,000 people to keep track of. If there's a con that is just Saturday-Sunday and they have a 4,000 attendance that year, but then the next year they become a 3-day con and have 5,700 attendance, that means they actually had fewer people come the second year. A con that sells single-day badges has a slightly larger number of attendees than just dividing the attendance by the number of days because not everyone comes every day.

A more concrete example:
    PAX 08 had 52,000 attendance (this number may be off due to misremembering). This means that WSCC had about 17,000 gamers in the building that weekend.

jaberwockynmt on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    soonerjudd wrote: »
    What's all this about swag bags? Are they bags to put swag in, or do they already come swag-ified? Are they limited like the wristbands?

DUDE! 1. Wheatons Law, look it up. 2. jaberwockynmt and the rest of the wonderful Enforcers took the time to pack them, jaberwockynmt knows whats in them, you don't, have some respect for the people who come to PAX and WORK.
    I've packed expo bags and ran welcome and security as a volunteer and its not that rewarding, PAX will have some awesome moments but will still be work for these guys, so stop spouting off like you know everthing.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    trickycoolj - what do you consider "Reasonable"? What's the early bird rate?

In general - parking in downtown Seattle this weekend will be worse than usual due to PAX and Bumbershoot happening at the same time. If you can avoid driving in, please do so.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Semantics...

skylatron on
  • Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone know how the line for the Pegasus theatre is going to work in the mornings? Will we be able to line up in the hotel? Will there be lanyards and swag bags there? Concert wrist bands?

Sgt Superman on
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone know how the line for the Pegasus theatre is going to work in the mornings? Will we be able to line up in the hotel? Will there be lanyards and swag bags there? Concert wrist bands?
    You will be able to line up in the hallway outside the theatre, but not before 0900. There will not be lanyards*, swag bags, or concert wristbands at Pegasus Theatre. If you want these things, you should go to the Queue Room at 0800 and get in that line; once the wristbands have been provided to the first 1000 people, you can leave the line and go down to the Sheraton.

*There might be lanyards at the Registration Will-Call desk which is also in the Sheraton.

jaberwockynmt on
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You will be able to line up in the hallway outside the theatre, but not before 0900. There will not be lanyards*, swag bags, or concert wristbands at Pegasus Theatre. If you want these things, you should go to the Queue Room at 0800 and get in that line; once the wristbands have been provided to the first 1000 people, you can leave the line and go down to the Sheraton.

*There might be lanyards at the Registration Will-Call desk which is also in the Sheraton.

So, just to clarify, the official line-up spots are going to be in the Queue Room and outside Benaroya Hall and each will be issuing lanyards, swag bags, and concert wristbands (first 1,000 in each line only)?

Belgand on
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »

So, just to clarify, the official line-up spots are going to be in the Queue Room and outside Benaroya Hall and each will be issuing lanyards, swag bags, and concert wristbands (first 1,000 in each line only)?
    Yes. You can begin lining up in those two locations at 0800 each day.

jaberwockynmt on
  • MortonStromgalMortonStromgal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Bumpershoot will cause parking problems as its on the north end of downtown and PAX is on the south end of downtown. Though if PAX wants to switch to the north end it would make me happy as I could just use my parking spot for work :winky:

MortonStromgal on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Across the street on I think it's 8th and Pine, there's another garage that is jointly shared with a hotel and Hertz that's a few dollars cheaper, not sure when that one closes, but that's generally where I park when I have to drive downtown.
    That one's actually 24 hours, costs like $28 to park for over 12 hours.

As for Bumbershoot, that's at Seattle Center, which is an easy Monorail ride from Westlake Center - meaning some people will be parking in downtown for it (many more parking options downtown than Seattle Center).

Dreamwriter on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GeeCee on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think Bumpershoot will cause parking problems as its on the north end of downtown and PAX is on the south end of downtown. Though if PAX wants to switch to the north end it would make me happy as I could just use my parking spot for work :winky:

Yes, but lots of people in town for Bumbershoot will stay in the same hotels we're using, which means it's more likely they'll park there. :P They can walk down to Westlake from any hotel near the WSCTC and take the monorail to Seattle Center.

In general, parking downtown isn't great no matter how you slice it. Same advice as above applies: avoid driving in if you can.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey fi i were to park in the convention center would i be able to take my car out at 2 AM? or does it close and i cant get it out?

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • SxySamuraiSxySamurai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My wife and I will be celebrating our honey moon/1 year anniversary by going to Pax, so I have a quick question.

Where exactly will be lining up on Friday, will there by a signs pointing us in the right direction, or should we just look for the massive amounts of people?

Ok, well that wasn't exactly the quickest question, but thanks in advance for any help. :)

SxySamurai on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SxySamurai wrote: »
    My wife and I will be celebrating our honey moon/1 year anniversary by going to Pax, so I have a quick question.

Where exactly will be lining up on Friday, will there by a signs pointing us in the right direction, or should we just look for the massive amounts of people?

Ok, well that wasn't exactly the quickest question, but thanks in advance for any help. :)
    A few different places you can line up:

For the keynote: line up in Benaroya starting at 8am. The crowds and signs will show the way.

For Pegasus theater: line up on the second floor of the Sheraton starting at 9am.

For Expo Hall and everything else at PAX (sans BYOC and public areas): line up in the queue room starting at 8am. Most easily found by going up the three waterfall escalators in the WSCC and turning left at the top to go through the glass doors, down the hall to the queue room.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey if i were to park in the convention center would i be able to take my car out at 2 AM? or does it close and i cant get it out?

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • iguyiguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know if it was last year or the year before but the WSTCC garage had an event special of $10 for the day. Does anyone know if they are doing this again?

iguy on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I know the original question has already been answered, but what is this "Pre-registration packet" you speak of?

I have never ever seen a "Pre-registration packet" for PAX.

kazuo on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hey fi i were to park in the convention center would i be able to take my car out at 2 AM? or does it close and i cant get it out?

Yes, it's not a problem. I got home at 3am after dropping off my carpool buddies.

trickycoolj on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    trickycoolj - what do you consider "Reasonable"? What's the early bird rate?

In general - parking in downtown Seattle this weekend will be worse than usual due to PAX and Bumbershoot happening at the same time. If you can avoid driving in, please do so.

It's $12 if you are in before 9am and out before 6pm (obviously too early for PAX) and only on Weekdays, so applicable Friday. A lot more reasonable than my office building next door for about $30/day.

trickycoolj on
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yes, you'll be able to get out as long as you walk through the passageway from the convention center to the parking garage. You can't park in the convention center after closing, but you can leave if you pay with a credit/debit card at one of the machines.

GeeCee on
    edited September 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »

For the keynote: line up in Benaroya starting at 8am. The crowds and signs will show the way.

For Pegasus theater: line up on the second floor of the Sheraton starting at 9am.

For Expo Hall and everything else at PAX (sans BYOC and public areas): line up in the queue room starting at 8am. Most easily found by going up the three waterfall escalators in the WSCC and turning left at the top to go through the glass doors, down the hall to the queue room.

Thanks for the quick response!

These places are all at the convention center, correct?

My wife and I get there on Thursday, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to scoop out where we have to go, no?

SxySamurai on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

My wife and I get there on Thursday, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to scoop out where we have to go, no?

These places are NOT ALL at the convention center.

Benaroya is a concert hall about four blocks away, see the various PAX maps for details. 1000 concert wristbands given out here, as well as swag bags and lanyards.

The Sheraton is a hotel a block away that has a theater in it this year. NO swag bags or concert wristbands there.

The main Expo Hall/almost everything else line IS at the con center and will be giving out 1000 concert wristbands, swag bags, and lanyards.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am looking for the World Map and Benaroya Hall Map for PAX but I cannot find it.

I tried looking on the pax website (http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/schedule.php) and couldnt find it. I tried searching the forum couldnt find it, nor anywhere else. If it in this thread and I missed it, sorry. I saw a version on the Itouch/Iphone app but its too small so I would like the original full size. Thanks for any help.

spiderz13 on
    edited September 2010

These places are NOT ALL at the convention center.

Benaroya is a concert hall about four blocks away, see the various PAX maps for details. 1000 concert wristbands given out here, as well as swag bags and lanyards.

The Sheraton is a hotel a block away that has a theater in it this year. NO swag bags or concert wristbands there.

The main Expo Hall/almost everything else line IS at the con center and will be giving out 1000 concert wristbands, swag bags, and lanyards.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

My wife and I are staying at the Springfield Suites, does anyone know if there are going to be shuttles running from there to the convention areas?

SxySamurai on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PAX doesn't actually do shuttles. There was a community driven one several years back, but now it seems the half mile walk will be your best option, assuming you have the pedal fortitude. If not, we have a pretty good bus system in Seattle, and from what I understand, inner-downtown busses are free.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Mr_SnutsMr_Snuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It seems someone in my house misplaced my badge, is there any way we can get replacement at the door, or am I just screwed?

Mr_Snuts on
This discussion has been closed.