As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan WizardRhode IslandRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse

So what is this MMA Thing? Don’t you mean UFC?
MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, allow Wikipedia to give you the basics:

Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills, from a mixture of martial arts traditions and non-traditions, to be used in competitions. The rules allow the use of both striking as well as grappling techniques, both while standing and on the ground. Such competitions allow martial artists of different backgrounds to compete.
MMA has had a huge increase in popularity over the last few years partly because of the UFC and it’s reality show The Ultimate Fighter (Sometimes abbreviated TUF)

However MMA does not equal UFC. While all UFC fights are MMA, not all MMA Fights are in the UFC. The UFC is the big dog, but there are other organizations out there, like Strikeforce, Bellator Fighting Championship and Dream.

Well whatever, I just want to see like a ninja guy fight a sumo wrestler. Oh oh! How about like a Kung Fu guy take on some old dude who does Tai Chi? (Fighting Styles)
Well, this could happen, I guess, but most likely it won’t. Firstly, MMA matches are separated into weight divisions

• Flyweight: under 126 lb (57 kg)
• Bantamweight: 126 to 135 lb (57 to 61 kg)
• Featherweight: 136 to 145 lb (62 to 66 kg)
• Lightweight: 146 to 155 lb (66 to 70 kg)
• Welterweight: 156 to 170 lb (71 to 77 kg)
• Middleweight: 171 to 185 lb (78 to 84 kg)
• Light Heavyweight: 186 to 205 lb (84 to 93 kg)
• Heavyweight: 206 to 265 lb (93 to 120 kg).
• Super Heavyweight: above 265 lb (120 kg).

That’s why you can’t have Brock Lesnar (current undisputed UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world) destroy UFC welterweight (and almost universally despised asshole) Josh Koscheck. Or even have a huge sumo dude against some old Tai Chi guy.

Next, while you can fight with any style you want, there are a number of styles that have been proven over the years to work really well. Here are some examples:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is something almost every single MMA fighter trains in to some extent (Except, perhaps, James Toney) it has been a dominate strategy ever since UFC 1 and has greatly increased in popularity as a martial art due to MMA
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Abbreviated BJJ) is a martial art, combat sport and a self-defense system that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting. The art was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo in the early 20th century, which was itself developed from a number of schools (or Ryu) of Japanese jujutsu in the 19th century.
It teaches that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a bigger, stronger assailant by using leverage and proper technique—most notably by applying joint-locks and chokeholds to defeat the other person. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can be trained for sport grappling tournaments (gi and no-gi) and mixed martial arts (MMA) competition or self-defense. Sparring (commonly referred to as 'rolling') and live drilling play a major role in training, and a premium is placed on performance, especially in competition.

Muay Thai: The national sport of Thailand, Muay Thai is a very popular technique in MMA due to the fact it trains fighters to not only use their hands and feet, but also their elbows and knees which can create devastating strikes to their opponents.
Muay Thai is a hard martial art from Thailand. It is similar to other Indochinese styles of kickboxing, namely pradal serey from Cambodia, tomoi from Malaysia, lethwei from Myanmar and Muay Lao from Laos. Descended from muay boran, Muay Thai is Thailand's national sport
The word muay derives from the Sanskrit mavya and Thai comes from the word Tai. Muay Thai is referred to as the "Art of Eight Limbs" or the "Science Of Eight Limbs" because it makes use of punches, kicks, elbows and knee strikes, thus using eight "points of contact", as opposed to "two points" (fists) in Western boxing and "four points" (hands and feet) used in sport-oriented martial arts. A practitioner of Muay Thai is known as a nak muay. Western practitioners are sometimes called nak muay farang meaning foreign boxer.

Wrestling (Freestyle and Greco-Roman) is another popular discipline for Mixed Martial Artists. The ability to take your opponent to the ground and while on the ground control him is incredibly powerful. While on the ground wrestling experts will either Ground and Pound (Abbreviated GnP, which simply means hitting their opponent while they are in a dominate position on the ground) their opponents, or attempt to make their opponent submit using any number of chokes and other submissions

However in the end you can fight however you want, if you want to Crain kick your way to MMA immortality, go for it. In the end, the only thing that matters is victory.

Wait what? Brazilian Jew Whatsu? More Ties? I don’t care about your fashion statements, I just want to see some sweet moves! You know like Hurricane kicks and Spinning Piledrivers! (MMA Moves)

Well not to worry, my eager friend, there are indeed some ‘sweet moves’ to be had in the world of Mixed Martial Arts. You know cool shit like:

Superman Punches:
685px-Flying-punch.jpg
A superman punch, cobra punch or diving punch is a technique used in Muay Thai, full contact karate and mixed martial arts fighting. The technique involves bringing the rear leg forward to feign a kick, then snapping the leg back while throwing a cross, resulting in greater power behind the punch

Roundhouse kicks:
Muay_Thai_High_kick.jpg
A roundhouse kick (also known as turning kick but often confused with the round kick) is a kick in which the attacker swings his leg around in a semicircular motion, striking with the front of the leg or foot.[1] This type of kick is utilized in many different martial arts and is popular in both non-contact and full-contact martial arts competitions. The kick has many variations based on stance, leg movement, striking surface, and the height of the kick.

Guillotine Chokes:
Guillotine_choke.jpg
The Guillotine choke is a chokehold in martial arts applied from in front of the opponent. The choke involves using the arms to encircle the opponent's neck in a fashion similar to a guillotine. The technique is either a type of tracheal compression restraint (wind choke) that prevents air flow to the lungs, or a blood choke depending on how it is applied. When executed from the ground, the person applying it will try to control the opponent by the hips, for instance using a closed guard. This is done to prevent the opponent from escaping the hold, and to be able to apply additional pressure by extending the hips.

Rear Naked Chokes:
Rear_naked_choke.gif
The Rear naked choke (RNC) is a chokehold in martial arts applied from an opponent's back. Depending on the context, the term may refer to one of two variations of the technique, either arm can be used to apply the choke in both cases. The term rear naked choke likely originated from the technique in Jujutsu and Judo known as the "Hadaka Jime", or "Naked Strangle." The word "naked" in this context suggests that, unlike other strangulation techniques found in Jujutsu/Judo, this hold does not require the use of a keikogi ("gi") or training uniform.
There are about a billion different ways to attack an opponent in MMA, this is just a small sampling, but not to worry. There are almost limitless ‘sweet moves’

Including this one, thanks facetious

Tiger Knee

And don't forget these (Thanks BubbaT)

Cro Cop's LHK (against the immovable object that is Mark Hunt's rock head)

Uberknee

Ryo Chonan's flying leg scissors heel hook

Toby Imada's inverted triangle choke

Randleplex

Mark Hunt's atomic butt drop
How about we just post a ton of links of incredibly awesome and sweet moves right here?

POWERBOMB!

Ok, now you’re talking my language! One of those moves had naked RIGHT IN THE TITLE. That’s awesome! These fights must be no holds barred right? You know like that awesome Hulk Hogan Movie… No Holds Barred (MMA Rules)

Ok slow down a minute, Mixed Martial Arts fights do have SOME rules to make sure this doesn’t become the Ball Punching Olympics (like it used to be back in the early days of the UFC). A Unified Set of rules has (kind of universally) been adopted.

Some organizations have different rules than others. Some you can’t use your elbows. Some you can perform a “Soccer Kick” (Kicking the head of a downed opponent) but the Unified Rules are as close as we have to the ‘rules’ of MMA.

Oh ok, well I guess biting would be kind of gross. Well, where can I actually see some Wrestler dude Nakedly Choke some Kicking guy? (Upcoming Events)

Here are some upcoming MMA Events, most UFC events are held via Pay Per View, most WEC events are free on VS. and most Strikefore events are shown on Showtime

176px-UFC_logo.svg.png
UFC Fight Night: Marquardt Vs. Palhares September 15, 2010 (FREE!)
UFC 119: Mir vs. Cro Cop September 25, 2010
UFC 120: Bisping vs. Akiyama October 16, 2010
UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez October 23, 2010

250px-StrikeforceLogo.JPG
Strikeforce: San Jose October 9, 2010
ShoMMA 11 October 22, 2010
ShoMMA 12 November 19, 2010
Wec_logo.jpg
WEC 51: Aldo vs. Gamburyan September 30, 2010
WEC 52[2] November 2010

Sweet! Now how about you tell me who the big dogs are, you know the ones that have those sweet flashy belts? It seems like I should know those guys. (Current Champions)

Here are your current champions:
UFC:
300px-UFCBelt.png
Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar

Light Heavyweight: Mauricio Rua

Middleweight: Anderson Silva

Welterweight: Georges St. Pierre

Lightweight: Frankie Edgar

Strikeforce:
Heavyweight: Alistair Overem

Light Heavyweight: Rafael Cavalcante

Middleweight: Ronaldo Souza

Welterweight: Nick Diaz

Lightweight: Gilbert Melendez

WEC
Lightweight: Ben Henderson

Featherweight: Jose Aldo,

Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz

Ok so now I know the basics I guess, you know with the Muay Jitsu and the Superman Kicks. Where can I get some additional info? (Outside Resources)

There are lots of places to get your fill on the up to the minute news and notes from the MMA world:

MMA news:
Bullshido
Sherdog
MMA Weekly
MMA Junkie
MMAPlayground
Bloody Elbow
MixedMartialArts.com
BestFightOdds

Also you can learn about odds and betting on MMA at these sites:

MMA Betting Blog Explains how odds work, gives tips on good betting sites. (Credit to Zzulu)

Fight Metric A collection of very well put-together UFC stats and fight analysis. Graphs included.

(Thanks to doug grammar for the list of sites)

Ok so reading is fun… I guess… But where can I get some competition? Is there some type of, I dunno, Penny Arcade Fight Club, I could be apart of and compete against other forum members? (PAFC)

It just so happens we do indeed! Going on right now is Round 2 of Penny Arcade Fight Club! A MayGodHaveMercy production in conjunction with Adytum Entertainment and Penny-Arcade. In order to play you need to join MMA Playground and wait for Round 3 to begin.

The premise is pretty simple. It is a Winners/Losers bracketed, head to head competition (except for the first fight). Entrants chose winners and losers of fight cards. Two competitors enter, one man leaves victorious.

Our current champion is facetious who won a three way dance to win PAFC Round 1!

Here are the official rules:

Penny Arcade Fight Club Round 2 (PAFCR2)

We've got 20(!) contenders for the belt this time.
adytum / adytum
Sweeney Tom / SweeneyTom
Metal Jared / metaljared
ChillyWilly / ChillyWilly
Zzulu / Zzulu
Peen / Tw1tch
B:L / B-L
815165 / 815165
facetious / Chagrin
moleface / moleface
sportzboytjw / sportzboytjw
MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI
TehSpectre / TehSpectre
A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo
Spectrum / Spectrum
Star / Star
Snarfmaster / Snarfmaster
Organichu / Organichu
Barbatus / Barbatus
doug_grammar / chokehead

Rules

1) UFC and WEC events are counted toward the bout results (Please read the bout listing below carefully!)
2) Only MMAplayground results are counted (Don't forget to make your picks!)
3) In the case of a tie on points, fantasy wager amounts on mmaplayground.com will be taken into account

Structure

There are three brackets.

The Winners Bracket is the main bracket, made up of the top 16 contenders from PAFC Round 2 Bout 1. If you lose in the winners bracket in bouts 2 or 3, you're dropped into..

The Losers Bracket is the secondary bracket, where the losers of bouts 2 and 3 will compete for 5th and 6th place. Prestigious!

The Elimination Bracket is for those 4 poor individuals eliminated in bout 1. It will span bouts 3 and 4, and has a consolation bracket for last place.

Bouts

PAFCR2 will be composed of 6 bouts.

Bout 1 will on 08/28/2010 during UFC 118
- Will be a free-for-all among the 20 contenders
- Top 16 contenders will be entered into the winners bracket based on their points total from the bout
- Bottom 4 contenders will be entered into the elimination bracket
- Brackets will be published shortly after the bout

Bout 2 will be on 09/15/2010 during UFC Fight Night 22
- Winners brackets will be updated
- Losers bracket will be created with the losers from the winners bracket

Bout 3 will be on 09/25/2010 during UFC 119
- Winners, losers, and elimination brackets will be updated
- Losers from the winners bracket will be updated in the losers bracket

Bout 4 will be on 09/30/2010 during WEC 51
- Losers and Elimination brackets will be updated
- Winners will have to sit this event out.. sorry!
- This will be the final bout for the elimination bracket, and the "winner" will be announced :P

Bout 5 will be on 10/16/2010 during UFC 120
- Winners and losers brackets will be updated
- The losers from the winners bracket will stay on the winners bracket, competing for 3rd & 4th place

Bout 6 will be on 10/23/2010 during UFC 121
- The winners and losers brackets will be updated
- The overall winners- as well as the total standings- will be announced shortly thereafter

Everyone is guaranteed 3 bouts at some level. Now make your picks and..

LET'S GET IT ON!
You can view updates of PAFC in the thread itself, as there will be results after every single event!

Awesome! I can’t wait to be able to choose between Punchy McPuncherson and Kicks McGee! Just one more thing (I promise!) Is there anything else I should know? I don’t want to be out of line when I post in this thread. (Thread Rules)

The most important thing when you post here is to be nice. Really.
This is a discussion about fighting, and punching and all of that stuff but in the end we are our own community. While we may disagree from time to time, we should always remember we have lots of things in common as Penny Arcade readers who love Mixed Martial Arts.

Have whatever opinion you want, defend your point as best you can but try not to attack other forum members personally. Also obey all the forum rules (you silly geese!) and try not to be a jerk. Sure it happens from time to time but just use your best judgment and lets all try to be friends (Even you B:L we give you shit but you’re still cool)

Not only can you talk about the major fights and organizations, feel free to talk about actually participating in the sport. We have people that do Muay Thai and BJJ among others. We even have people who actually go out and fight. Ask whatever questions you have and we will do our best to help you out.

One last thing and this huge post will be over. We don’t do spoiler tags for current fights. We like to have fast paced discussions while fights are going on and having a thread tree with 50 spoiler tags is a huge pain in the ass. So if you don’t wan to know the results, don’t post in the thread. I won’t change the title for a few days so if you can’t stay out of the forums the thread title won’t ruin an event.

A big thanks to ChillyWilly, doug_grammar, Adytum and anyone else that I stole stuff from. I hope you enjoy the post as much as I like writing it!.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
PSN: SoulCrusherJared
Metal Jared on

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Penny Arcade Fight Club Round 2 (PAFCR2)
    A MayGodHaveMercy production in conjunction with Adytum Entertainment and Penny-Arcade

Final Standings!
    Position Name
    Record Points
    01. Spectrum
    (4-0)
    02. Snarfmaster
    (3-1)
    03. B:L
    (3-1)
    04. Barbatus
    (2-2)
    05. facetious / Chagrin
    (4-1)
    06. MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI
    (3-2)
    07. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo--(3-2)
    08. adytum
    (2-3)
    09. 815165
    (1-2) (202)
    10. Organichu
    (1-2) (175)
    11. SweeneyTom
    (1-2) (142)
    12. sportzboytjw
    (1-2) (141)
    13. moleface
    (0-2) (137)
    14. doug_grammar / chokehead
    (0-2) (97)
    15. Zzulu
    (0-2) (95)
    16. Peen / Tw1tch
    (0-2) (86)
    17. TehSpectre
    (2-0)
    18. Star
    (1-1)
    19. Metal Jared
    (1-1)
    20. ChillyWilly
    (0-2)

Contenders
    adytum / adytum
    Sweeney Tom / SweeneyTom
    Metal Jared / metaljared
    ChillyWilly / ChillyWilly
    Zzulu / Zzulu
    Peen / Tw1tch
    B:L / B-L
    815165 / 815165
    facetious / Chagrin
    moleface / moleface
    sportzboytjw / sportzboytjw
    MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI
    TehSpectre / TehSpectre
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo
    Spectrum / Spectrum
    Star / Star
    Snarfmaster / Snarfmaster
    Organichu / Organichu
    Barbatus / Barbatus
    doug_grammar / chokehead

Rules

1) UFC and WEC events are counted toward the bout results (Please read the bout listing below carefully!)
    2) Only MMAplayground results are counted (Don't forget to make your picks!)
    3) In the case of a tie on points, fantasy wager amounts on mmaplayground.com will be taken into account

Structure

There are three brackets.

The Winners Bracket is the main bracket, made up of the top 16 contenders from PAFC Round 2 Bout 1. If you lose in the winners bracket in bouts 2 or 3, you're dropped into..

The Losers Bracket is the secondary bracket, where the losers of bouts 2 and 3 will compete for 5th and 6th place. Prestigious!

The Elimination Bracket is for those 4 poor individuals eliminated in bout 1. It will span bouts 3 and 4, and has a consolation bracket for last place.

Bouts

PAFCR2 will be composed of 6 bouts.
    Bout 1 will on 08/28/2010 during UFC 118
    - Will be a free-for-all among the 20 contenders
    - Top 16 contenders will be entered into the winners bracket based on their points total from the bout
    - Bottom 4 contenders will be entered into the elimination bracket
    - Brackets will be published shortly after the bout

Bout 2 will be on 09/15/2010 during UFC Fight Night 22
    - Winners brackets will be updated
    - Losers bracket will be created with the losers from the winners bracket

Bout 3 will be on 09/25/2010 during UFC 119
    - Winners, losers, and elimination brackets will be updated
    - Losers from the winners bracket will be updated in the losers bracket

Bout 4 will be on 09/30/2010 during WEC 51
    - Losers and Elimination brackets will be updated
    - Winners will have to sit this event out.. sorry!
    - This will be the final bout for the elimination bracket, and the "winner" will be announced :P

Bout 5 will be on 10/16/2010 during UFC 120
    - Winners and losers brackets will be updated
    - The losers from the winners bracket will stay on the winners bracket, competing for 3rd & 4th place

Bout 6 will be on 10/23/2010 during UFC 121
    - The winners and losers brackets will be updated
    - The overall winners- as well as the total standings- will be announced shortly thereafter

Everyone is guaranteed 3 bouts at some level.

Bout 1 Results
    Points Place Rank Name Winnings

75 1 1 Barbatus 840
    68 2 2 moleface -180
    60 3 3 adytum 695
    58 4 4 sportzboytjw 856
    55 6 5 815165 325
    52 7 6 B-L 639
    52 7 7 Mercy_XXVI 260
    51 9 8 Chagrin 285
    51 9 9 chokehead 205
    50 11 10 Zzulu 526
    48 12 11 Organichu 280
    44 13 12 Spectrum 23
    42 14 13 SweeneyTom 270
    36 15 14 half_eaten_oreo 1080
    35 16 15 Snarfmaster -460
    33 17 16 Tw1tch 112

32 18 17 Star -495
    29 19 18 metaljared 200
    28 20 19 TehSpectre -80
    27 00 20 ChillyWilly 0

Bout 2 Results
    09/15/2010 @ UFC Fight Night 22

Barbatus (21 - $120) vs. Peen / Tw1tch (21 - -$10)
    facetious / Chagrin (30) vs. doug_grammar / chokehead (26)
    sportzboytjw (25) vs. SweeneyTom (26)
    815165 (43) vs. Spectrum (63)
    adytum (30) vs. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (60)
    B:L (48) vs. Organichu (29)
    moleface (27) vs. Snarfmaster (52)
    MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (47) vs. Zzulu (38)

Bout 3 Results
    09/25/2010 @ UFC 119

Winners Bracket

Barbatus (2-0) (42) vs. facetious / Chagrin (1-1) (28)
    SweeneyTom (1-1) (37) vs. Spectrum (2-0) (55)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (1-1) (42) vs. B:L (2-0) (45)
    Snarfmaster (2-0) (50) vs. MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (1-1) (36)

Losers Bracket

815165 (1-1) (45) vs. Peen / Tw1tch (0-2) (32)
    Zzulu (0-2) (7) vs. sportzboytjw (1-1) (58)
    adytum (1-1) (65) vs. doug_grammar / chokehead (0-2) (20)
    Organichu (1-1) (45) vs. moleface (0-2) (42)

Elimination Bracket

Star (1-0) (62) vs. ChillyWilly (0-1) (51)
    Metal Jared (0-1) (22) vs. TehSpectre (1-0) (51)

Bout 4 Results
    09/30/2010 @ WEC 51

Losers Bracket

MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (2-1) (66) vs. 815165 (1-2) (59)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (2-1) (57) vs. sportzboytjw (1-2) (:()
    SweeneyTom (1-2) (37) vs. adytum (2-1) (66)
    facetious / Chagrin (2-1) (61) vs. Organichu (1-2) (53)

Elimination Bracket

Star (1-1) (29) vs. TehSpectre (2-0) (38)
    ChillyWilly (0-1) (:() vs. Metal Jared (1-1) (30)

Bout 5 Results
    10/16/2010 @ UFC 120

Winners Bracket

Barbatus (2-1) (22) vs. Spectrum (3-0) (40)
    B:L (2-1) (33) vs. Snarfmaster (3-0) (45)

The Losers Bracket

MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (3-1) (40) vs. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (2-2) (30)
    adytum (2-2) (40) vs. facetious / Chagrin (3-1) (64)

Bout 6 Results
    10/23/2010 @ UFC 121

Winners Bracket

Championship Match! (1st & 2nd Place)
    Spectrum (4-0) (57) vs. Snarfmaster (3-1) (23)

Runner-Up Match! (3rd & 4th Place)
    Barbatus (2-2) (51) vs. B:L (3-1) (62)

The Losers Bracket

Redemption Match! (5th & 6th Place)
    MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI (3-2) (23) vs. facetious / Chagrin (4-1) (61)

Consolation Match! (7th & 8th Place)
    A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo (3-2) (52) vs. adytum (2-3) (33)

Brackets

The Winners Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166
    Position Name
    Record Points
    01. Spectrum
    (4-0)
    02. Snarfmaster
    (3-1)
    03. B:L
    (3-1)
    04. Barbatus
    (2-2)

The Losers Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Losers
    Position Name
    Record Points
    05. facetious / Chagrin
    (4-1)
    06. MayGodHaveMercy / Mercy_XXVI
    (3-2)
    07. A Half Eaten Oreo / half_eaten_oreo--(3-2)
    08. adytum
    (2-3)
    09. 815165
    (1-2) (202)
    10. Organichu
    (1-2) (175)
    11. SweeneyTom
    (1-2) (142)
    12. sportzboytjw
    (1-2) (141)
    13. moleface
    (0-2) (137)
    14. doug_grammar / chokehead
    (0-2) (97)
    15. Zzulu
    (0-2) (95)
    16. Peen / Tw1tch
    (0-2) (86)

The Elimination Bracket
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=373166&tclass=Elimination
    Position Name
    Record Points
    17. TehSpectre
    (2-0)
    18. Star
    (1-1)
    19. Metal Jared
    (1-1)
    20. ChillyWilly
    (0-2)

adytum on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like that you're using some color to spice up the OP, but the Nyquil/Christmas combo up there is kind of painful to my eyes.

If I'm the only one that it bothers, feel free to dog pile me.
    Please dog pile me

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited August 2010
    Please dog pile me

o_O

adytum on
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Please dog pile me

o_O

:winky:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    The green on blue ain't working for me, Jared.

Am I the only one that thinks that UFC 119 and 120 look really crappy? Especially in comparison to the last 3 cards?

JustinSane07 on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like that you're using some color to spice up the OP, but the Nyquil/Christmas combo up there is kind of painful to my eyes.

Please dog pile me
    Yeah the colors are not good. They BLEED, we must kill it.

The OP is nice but it seems to have one too many spoiler tags for my liking. And what's up with the "even you B:L" part? :P

As for doug_grammar's MMA news,

CroCop has a distinct advantage against Mir. His takedown defense is superb, and he's a better striker. Whether or not he can finish Mir though will be up to him.

Good for Mariusz for realizing how important cardio is. His striking has been ridiculously inefficient so hopefully he improves that as well. With his strength his bread and butter should be a wrestling style ground and pound game, which would work well against Butterbean.

Tito Ortiz is just trying to hold on to relevancy. Too little too late.

What John Cena said makes sense. He's never been into violent combat sports, so he wouldn't like MMA and he wouldn't want his kids to watch MMA. Nothing contradictory there.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that CroCop is still the better striker between him and Mir. Mir has outboxed some solid fighters lately, right? On the other hand, we haven't seen him try out a kickboxer recently. Interestingly, I don't think most people would let their kids watch WWE/whatever, but would be inclined to allow some MMA viewing by the midgets. I do at least.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited August 2010
    Am I the only one that thinks that UFC 119 and 120 look really crappy? Especially in comparison to the last 3 cards?

While there aren't any titles on the line, I think both of the cards have the potential for some outstanding fights.

adytum on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that CroCop is still the better striker between him and Mir. Mir has outboxed some solid fighters lately, right? On the other hand, we haven't seen him try out a kickboxer recently. Interestingly, I don't think most people would let their kids watch WWE/whatever, but would be inclined to allow some MMA viewing by the midgets. I do at least.
    It's really hard to predict what kind of mind set CC could show up in, if he's as bad as some of his recent fights I think Mir will out strike him. It's a really interesting fight and I'm glad that Big Nog getting injured meant we didn't have to see that fight again.

UFC 119 looks pretty good, four of the five main card fights should be great and in the other we get to laugh at Sean Sherk's t-rex boxing.

I'm most excited for WEC 51 right now, this card is great:
    FW Championship bout: Jose Aldo vs Manny Gamburyan
    Jamie Varner vs Donald Cerrone
    Miguel Torres vs Charlie Valencia
    Korean Zombie vs George Roop
    Leonard Garcia vs Mark Hominick

815165 on
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    It's really hard to predict what kind of mind set CC could show up in, if he's as bad as some of his recent fights I think Mir will out strike him.
    If he comes in with the mindset of his last fight, he'll submit Mir.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    B:L wrote: »

Please dog pile me

The OP is nice but it seems to have one too many spoiler tags for my liking. And what's up with the "even you B:L" part? :P

CroCop has a distinct advantage against Mir. His takedown defense is superb, and he's a better striker. Whether or not he can finish Mir though will be up to him.

Good for Mariusz for realizing how important cardio is. His striking has been ridiculously inefficient so hopefully he improves that as well. With his strength his bread and butter should be a wrestling style ground and pound game, which would work well against Butterbean.

Tito Ortiz is just trying to hold on to relevancy. Too little too late.

What John Cena said makes sense. He's never been into violent combat sports, so he wouldn't like MMA and he wouldn't want his kids to watch MMA. Nothing contradictory there.

How do you guys like Dark Orange and Gray

And I stand by my "even you B:L" :P

As for all the spoilers, this thread is like over 15,000 characters. I wanted to keep the OP as short as possible

Metal Jared on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do not see Mir trying to out-strike CroCop. The man has been KO'd on a frequent basis, and I believe he will tread very carefully when he steps into CroCop's territory.

However, I am not implying that Mir will get knocked out by CroCop standing, but implying that he will avoid that scenario, and go back to his roots.

Taking Mirko down will be a fight within itself, but if Mir gets Cro-Cop on the ground, we'll see how well Dean Lister has improved Mirko's ground game.

Overall, I'll say CroCop has the distinct advantage if he's coming in with good stamina, which he should be seeing how he's brought in his A-team.

(Good OP, Jared, but just take a little more time dressing it up a little.)

doug_grammar on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice OP.

While reading the 'cool moves' section all I could think of was:

small-knee.gif

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited August 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Nice OP.

While reading the 'cool moves' section all I could think of was:

small-knee.gif
    Thank you!

And totally added. Awesome

Metal Jared on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    You fool.

You have to label it Tiger Knee.

JustinSane07 on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If Cro Cop has his hunger back he should beat Mir...

But if he fights Mir like he did JDS he'll lose.

Yougottawanna on
    edited August 2010
    Ah, yes. Those colors are much better.

ChillyWilly on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited August 2010
    You fool.

You have to label it Tiger Knee.

You are correct sir, updated

Metal Jared on
    edited August 2010
    Pat Barry is awesome.

815165 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Please dog pile me

CroCop has a distinct advantage against Mir. His takedown defense is superb,

Is it? I remember him being taken down at will by Gonzaga, before the Head Kick from Hell. It's been a long time though, so maybe I'm remembering wrong?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited August 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Kimboplex.

815165 on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    119's a pretty meh card but it's got some fights that are important for you guys. Little Nog vs. Bader and Dunham Vs. Sherk should both be good fights and they could catapult promising young guys into the next tier of fighters and potential matchups.

120 isn't that great either but it's free so hey, what do you want?

Peen on
    edited August 2010
    The card for DEEP 50 (October 24) is big

Lightweight Title Bout
    Katsunori Kikuno (13-3-2) vs. Nobuhiro Obiya (12-3-1)

Welterweight Title Bout
    Yuya Shirai (19-8) vs. Shigetoshi Iwase (10-12-3)

Shinya Aoki (24-5, 1 NC) vs. TBA
    Sanae Kikuta (28-7-3, 1 NC) vs. TBA
    Ikuhisa Minowa (46-30-8) vs. TBA
    Takafumi Otsuka (10-6-1) vs. Yoshiro Maeda (26-9-2)
    Ryo Chonan (17-11) vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida (11-5)
    Toshikazu "ISE" Iseno (7-6-2) vs. Won Sik "Parky" Park (8-2-1, 1 NC)
    Kazuo Misaki (22-11-2, 1 NC) vs. Akira Shoji (14-16-5)
    Daiki "DJ.taiki" Hata (11-7-3) vs. Tomomi "Taisho" Iwama (8-5-1)
    Shoji Maruyama (6-5-1) vs. Tatsunao Nagakura (6-1)
    Hidetaka Monma (16-9-4) vs. Yoshihisa Yamamoto (14-22-1)
    Isao Terada (8-10-4, 1 NC) vs. Yoshiki Harada (4-0)
    Ryuta Noji (11-6) vs. Hiroshi Nagao

Additional Participants
    Kazunori Yokota (11-3-3)
    Yoshiyuki Nakanishi (8-1)
    Jutaro Nakao (23-15-4)
    Shunsuke Inoue (9-5-2)
    Hiromitsu Kanehara (18-23-3)
    Hisae Watanabe (19-6)
    Seigo Mizuguchi (7-7)

Given the penchant that Japanese MMA has for taking long intermissions, this event could take all day.

BubbaT on
    edited August 2010
    Given the penchant that Japanese MMA has for taking long intermissions, this event could take all day.
    This is why I stopped watching Dream cards, now I'll just find out what good fights there were and watch them later. They'll do stupid shit like having two fights in two hours then have three in the next hour after that.

815165 on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, what happened to Ryo Chonan? From beating an (young) Anderson Silva to 17-11 career? That's just kind of odd.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited August 2010
    This is why I stopped watching Dream cards, now I'll just find out what good fights there were and watch them later. They'll do stupid shit like having two fights in two hours then have three in the next hour after that.

Well, that and they come on at ungodly hours for Western audiences.

BubbaT on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it? I remember him being taken down at will by Gonzaga, before the Head Kick from Hell. It's been a long time though, so maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Kongo also took CroCop down.

Mir/CroCop scares me. I don't trust either guy. CroCop is essentially o-fer against anyone of note in the last four years (and I'm including the Barry fight in there, considering CroCop was getting tooled before Barry broke half his own body). But Mir's never liked getting hit, and CroCop has enough left to put some hits on him. You couldn't pay me to bet on that fight.

Wet Bandit on
    edited August 2010
    Looks like the winner of Lil Nog vs Bader gets Bones Jones after that.

Poor guys. :(

815165 on
    edited August 2010
    Looks like the winner of Lil Nog vs Bader gets Bones Jones after that.

Poor guys. :(

This will be a good challenge for Bones Jones, but I suspect him to be fighting Lil Nog in the end.

doug_grammar on
    edited August 2010
    If Bader looks as good (or better) as he has in the past against Little Nog then I'd love to see Bader/Jones. I think they're two best young LHW's the UFC's got.

Peen on
    edited August 2010

All of these have been added. If anyone else has animated gifs for the other moves, let me know and I'll update the pictures.

Good finds BubbaT

Metal Jared on
    edited August 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    If Bader looks as good (or better) as he has in the past against Little Nog then I'd love to see Bader/Jones. I think they're two best young LHW's the UFC's got.

This sucks though, putting two awesome up-and-comers against eachother like that. I want them both to win. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This sucks though, putting two awesome up-and-comers against eachother like that. I want them both to win. :(

I really doubt we'll see Bones/Bader if Bader wins. I'm betting they'll handle it like they did with JDS and Cain.

If Little Nog wins, though, I think he's almost certainly Bones' next fight.

Wet Bandit on
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

I really doubt we'll see Bones/Bader if Bader wins. I'm betting they'll handle it like they did with JDS and Cain.

If Little Nog wins, though, I think he's almost certainly Bones' next fight.

If Little Nog fights Bader like he fought the last guy, I don't see him winning.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited August 2010
    Remember now, Lil Nog took out light heavy weight contender Luiz Cane back when he was still a prospect. He could do the same thing to Bones/Bader.

It's been a long time since Rogerio has been knocked out, and another day that goes by is another day spent training with Mark Munoz.

doug_grammar on
    edited August 2010
    Wait what happened to Forrest Griffin/Bones Jones?

edited August 2010
    You could just tell Silva would be sending Griffin to hell with that fight. Griffin admitted defeat before the fight was even really planned.

Also, it's time for Jones to start climbing the ladder, and him fighting Griffin would be a waste of time and effort. It's time he fought contenders.

doug_grammar on
    edited August 2010
    Wait what happened to Forrest Griffin/Bones Jones?

Nothing yet, we're having dream fights. For that matter I don't think Jones/Griffin is quite as foregone a conclusion as some other people do.

Peen on