As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do the Flying Sword PP! I have no idea if it's good or not, but you get to jump around with a sword like you're in a really depressing but very stylish Chinese movie!

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    Do the Flying Sword PP! I have no idea if it's good or not, but you get to jump around with a sword like you're in a really depressing but very stylish Chinese movie!
    Soaring Blade is one of the high points of their additions to the Monk.

It's just too bad you can't do both that and Four Winds Master to get the whole Hidden Dragon experience.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dark Sun Fever seems to be giving way to Essentials Madness but I'm making the OOC thread for my PbP double as a Dark Sun discussion thread if anyone cares.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
    edited August 2010
    Need

CB

update

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OZ and I are thought twins. We are as one.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Somebody over on RPG.net already has a copy of Heroes of the Fallen Lands. Here's the new stat bonuses for races included in the book:

Humans +2 to any

Dwarf +2 to Con; +2 to Str or Wis

Elf +2 to Dex; +2 to Int or Wis

Eladrin +2 to Int; +2 to Dex or Cha

Halfling +2 to Dex; +2 to Con or Cha

Hexmage-PA on
    edited August 2010
    No info on Half-Elves?

OptimusZed on

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They get half. +1
    no they don't

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited August 2010
    Here's hoping they share at least one bonus stat with their non-human parent race.

That's always kind of bugged me.

OptimusZed on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, +1 to three or four stats could end up being much more useful in the long run than +2 to two...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • TrtrnxTrtrnx Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    No info on Half-Elves?

Naw, we've gotta wait 'til November (Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms) for that. And Dragonborn, Drow, Half-Orcs, and Tieflings.

Also, interesting to see that Halflings get Con and Elves get Int. Would've thought that'd be the other way around. In any case, still no Con+Int race...

Trtrnx on
    edited August 2010
    Trtrnx wrote: »
    No info on Half-Elves?

Naw, we've gotta wait 'til November (Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms) for that. And Dragonborn, Drow, Half-Orcs, and Tieflings.

Also, interesting to see that Halflings get Con and Elves get Int. Would've thought that'd be the other way around. In any case, still no Con+Int race...
    That leaves Genasi, tiefling, etc with only one set of bonus attributes.

boo

OptimusZed on

edited August 2010
    Wizards seems slavishly devoted to NOT having a CON/INT race. It's bizarre. I've heard a couple of them remark that they don't feel the need to have a race with stats that match every single build they release, but Con+Int is really the only holdout, and has at least three classes that could use it.

Someone at wizards hates shielding swordmages.

smeej on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Need

CB

update

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I had my guys do a train heist, and decided that I wanted no part in their planning process, so as to make it a surprise to me. Some of the information they got in town was incorrect, even though the person telling it thought it was correct. But they ended up hiring a prostitute to distract the guards, and then conk him out with a sleeping potion type effect. After a few guards were unconscious in the sleeper car's rooms, they proceeded forward to do a bit of smash and grab and then disconnected the train cars with the loot in them.

How did you get them to seek information in town? I want my players to independantly seek information about the mansion vault they have to break into, but I'm afraid instead they'll just go to the party at the mansion and try to make it up as they go.

Which I guess is also a valid method.

Silas Brown on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Need

CB

update

Isn't that like 3 weeks to a month away?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    Need

CB

update

Isn't that like 3 weeks to a month away?

Errr.....21 days?

But who's counting.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited August 2010
    We are. :(

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had my guys do a train heist, and decided that I wanted no part in their planning process, so as to make it a surprise to me. Some of the information they got in town was incorrect, even though the person telling it thought it was correct. But they ended up hiring a prostitute to distract the guards, and then conk him out with a sleeping potion type effect. After a few guards were unconscious in the sleeper car's rooms, they proceeded forward to do a bit of smash and grab and then disconnected the train cars with the loot in them.

How did you get them to seek information in town? I want my players to independantly seek information about the mansion vault they have to break into, but I'm afraid instead they'll just go to the party at the mansion and try to make it up as they go.

Provide them with enough information so that they know they need to seek more information.

Trusted Informant NPC: "The vault is guarded by a powerful set of traps and locks that can only be opened by MACGUFFIN. I don't know MACGUFFIN but I do know that only five people have access to the vault, so one of them will have the knowledge you seek...."

If your players need a set of information for your plot to function, give them that information.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Wizards seems slavishly devoted to NOT having a CON/INT race. It's bizarre. I've heard a couple of them remark that they don't feel the need to have a race with stats that match every single build they release, but Con+Int is really the only holdout, and has at least three classes that could use it.

Someone at wizards hates shielding swordmages.

I've heard about them trying to avoid "needless symmetry" or what have you (this being the reason they didn't try to bend their brains and produce a martial controller). But. Yeah. I'm surprised shardminds weren't Int/Con.

Hachface on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DMing is hard. :(

Silas Brown on
    edited August 2010
    DMing is hard. :(
    It gets easier the more iron you put in your fist. :P

OptimusZed on

edited August 2010
    Take out the biggest PC to let the others know you're in charge.

DMing is like TV prison.

smeej on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ZOMG UNBOXING WTFUX?!

Dungeon Master's Kit Unboxing

Hexmage-PA on
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah you need to keep your pimp hand strong.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does anyone else find the concept of Orcus really lame? Maybe it's just because I got into warhammer first but to me he just looks like an obesse blood thirster. I also don't like mixing undead and demons which is probably also a warhammer hang up.

Now Torog... there's a good villain.

Although I'm not going to use the S&M aspects, they're pretty cheesey. I'm only going to focus on him being the god of entombement. A tortured god who restrains all things he holds dear for fear of losing them. Patron of dark and sorrowful places. The King that Crawls.

So bad ass

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, Orcus (and Demogorgon, while we're at it,) seems really boring. I might have figured out a way to use him for Worldship maybe, but I kinda want to get through the game(s) without using the guy at all.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Orcus isn't the most original demon lord ever but he's kind of iconic to D&D (despite his exile from 2e).

I think Demogoron is actually pretty sweet, and about as iconic as Orcus.

I also enjoy Lolth.

Hachface on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oublivae and Pazuzu are also pretty good as far as demon lords go. I am hoping they have another daemon lord in the Monster Vault.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited September 2010
    Oh and Juiblex, demon prince of sentient slimes. Of course Dungeons and Dragons has a demon prince of sentient slimes. One piece of 2e fluff that I don't know if they've recapped in 4e: the aboleths worship Juiblex; they attribute the moistness of their mucous membranes to his demonic intervention.

So good.

edit: and of course Juiblex shares his layer of the Abyss with Zuggtmoy, the demon queen of fungi.

Hachface on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oublivae is really nice as demon lords. Wouldn't mind more...insidious ones with interesting indirect mechanics as opposed to brute force, though Oblivae herself does some of this which is nice.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Told them, "The train gets into town in 2 days of game time. Find out what you need or want to in that time." Ran it as a skill challenge, more or less, where failures ended with either missing or bad information.

Hachface wrote: »
    Oh and Juiblex, demon prince of sentient slimes. Of course Dungeons and Dragons has a demon prince of sentient slimes. One piece of 2e fluff that I don't know if they've recapped in 4e: the aboleths worship Juiblex; they attribute the moistness of their mucous membranes to his demonic intervention.

So good.

edit: and of course Juiblex shares his layer of the Abyss with Zuggtmoy, the demon queen of fungi.

What can you tell me of Ramenos, the Bullywug god of laziness, drunken proliferation and overeating?

Pinfeldorf on
    edited September 2010
    You should implement Kikubaaqudgha, one of the gods from Dungeon Crawl, just to hear your players try and pronounce his name.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For those of you who've found people through Meetup: how did you actually go about meeting the person(s) prior to gaming with them? I don't want to end up as a lampshade in some dude's basement when he invites me to his "lair" nor do I want someone to put a horse's head in my bed when I accidentally kill their wizard at my place.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    What can you tell me of Ramenos, the Bullywug god of laziness, drunken proliferation and overeating?

As of 2e, Ramenos belongs to a group of deities who in ages past sponsored primordial races, but whose powers waned as their worshippers were supplanted by the mammalian demihumans. His layer of the Abyss is called Smaragd, which he shares with the yuan-ti deity Merrshaulk (who has been replaced by Zehir in 4e). He apparently spends most of his time there in a deep slumber as he bathes in a pool of liquor, which he of course absorbs through his skin. The prayers of the bullywug no longer rouse him and he seems destined to sleep his way into nothingness. He's basically suffering from some sort of cosmic depression.

Other gods of the ancient, pre-mammalian races include Blibdoolpoolp, goddess of the kuo-toa (notice how when you pronounce her name it sounds like you are speaking underwater). She is a woman with the head of a lobster, and claws instead of hands. She is one of the few deities who makes her domain in the Elemental Plane of Water, where she surrounds herself by ancient benthic creatuers -- mostly crustaceans and molluscs -- and broods over the usurpation of her people by humans and elves. She is one of the oldest deities to exist and would probably make a decent primordial in 4e if you didn't mind from departing from their current presentation as elemental titans a la Disney's Hercules.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010
    The other really good daemon lord is the big pile of goo and such (forget the name off hand). Used him as a model for an antagonist in Sorrow of Heaven and it worked brilliantly to say the least.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The other really good daemon lord is the big pile of goo and such (forget the name off hand). Used him as a model for an antagonist in Sorrow of Heaven and it worked brilliantly to say the least.

I'm pretty sure that is, in fact, Juiblex.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that is, in fact, Juiblex.

Nope, it's Turaglas and he's actually an old solo from a dragon demonomicon article. With damage increases and the odd power swap, he was an absolutely perfect fit. Additionally he comes well designed action economy wise, given that he can't be dazed/dominated/stunned. I rather liked him and he gave the party a good run for their money.

Aegeri on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For those of you who've found people through Meetup: how did you actually go about meeting the person(s) prior to gaming with them? I don't want to end up as a lampshade in some dude's basement when he invites me to his "lair" nor do I want someone to put a horse's head in my bed when I accidentally kill their wizard at my place.

Dinner at a public place and drive separately, like you would for a first date with someone you don't know.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

Dinner at a public place and drive separately, like you would for a first date with someone you don't know.

Who goes on a date with someone they don't know, really? Internet blind dates, based on every story I've ever heard from anyone that's done one, end horribly if the people don't at least talk on the phone first.

Pinfeldorf on