As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acoustic guitar is too loud...

ChibaChiba Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I started playing guitar in may with a crappy starter electric guitar. I'm back at college now and I wanted to get an acoustic guitar...so I got one but it's way too loud for my small apartment. It's not that i mind the noise, but the walls/doors are paper thin in this building. People have recommended "strumming softer" but i really can't seem to do that. So.

1) How does one strum softer?

or

2) i did some searches for guitar mutes and didn't get much results...is there such a thing/are they called something different?

Thanks!

Chiba on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could try a Soundhole Cover.

This is just an example of one... There are some that are just full rubber as well, which work pretty well to mute the guitar.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Strumming softer would literally just be strumming slower or lighter, with less velocity in your strumming motion. Also, you could just palm-mute whenever you play.

Alternatively, you could set up a sweet living room couch cushion and blanket fort and play inside that.

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wrap a sock around the neck if all you want to do is practice fingering. Other than that there's not a lot you can do that will satisfy your neighbors. An acoustic is supposed to be loud, it's meant to fill a room without an amp. There are things you can do to make it a bit quieter but you're going against the design of the instrument, it's not going to be perfect.

If you want to play silently, get an electric and some headphones. If you have to have that acoustic sound, there are pedals you can get. I know Boss makes one, there are probably more.

zilo on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    edit: the post so nice I made it twice

zilo on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    can''t you just play electric with headphones?

edit: okay, you specifically wanted to pick up acoustic. Never mind.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If I want to play softer, I use my finger as a pick instead of a pick.

Yeah it's not the same feel but you can play a lot quieter.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Start palm muting all the time, forever?

prfntbtr on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A shallow body acoustic wouldn't be as loud. Perhaps too late for that though.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Strumming softly is like anything else on the guitar.... you have to practice it!

If you're using a pick, take a look at how much of the pick is actually sticking out from your fingers and hitting the string. The less of the pick you use, the softer your strum will be.

EDIT: you may also find you can strum softer with a softer pick. But then you'd have to use a pick that bends and...eew

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can pick up an in-guitar humidifier, such as this and it will not only protect your guitar from cracking, but will also allow you to practice without disturbing your neighbors.

Rderdall on
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why not play your electric unplugged?

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Playing an electric unplugged and playing an acoustic are two very different things when you're learning to play.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Playing an electric unplugged and playing an acoustic are two very different things when you're learning to play.

Absolutely, but at least the OP can practice without pissing off the neighbors. It's still something s/he can play and practice while in the current living situation.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first answer, a Soundhole Cover, is probably the most effective solution. They run around 10 bucks (if you can't afford one, then I question how you are able to get both an electric and acoustic guitar within your budget), and they work pretty well. My dad used one when practicing.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    first: don't alter your playing style; strumming less forcefully or holding the pick more loosely are deliberate choices which affect more than just the volume

the soundhole cover is the best choice, but if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, put a pillow on your lap so it sits flush against the back of the resonance chamber. That will lower the volume while deadening the sound to a similar degree as the soundhole cover

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Stuff your sound hole with foam helps.

Sheep on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Try strumming with the edge of the pick rather than the tip. It will be quieter and won't deaden the sound, though it might not be quiet enough.

Mustang on