As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Presidential Address on Iraq (Discussion Phase)

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Combat operations in Iraq end today and the President talks. So for those planning on following the address, I thought we could do some commentary (like the good old primary days) in here. Also this would be the chance he has to turn shit around with the polling and rev up the base. I hope he pulls it off.

5pm Pacific
8pm Eastern

CNN: http://live.cnn.com/

If you have a better stream let me know.

Lady Eri on

• Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heathens.

Lady Eri on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I am going to try and watch it. I haven't missed many president speeches since late 1999.

FyreWulff on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yep this is an address.

Quid on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Listening now on npr, just a radio feed if that is what you want. They usually have good /coherent discussion after such things.

Barcardi on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    cnn.com stream has no audio for me. the hell?

edit: youtube stream has audio and is working for me

http://www.youtube.com/whitehouse?feature=ticker

FyreWulff on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At work, otherwise I'd be listening to this. I assume it'll be availible for viewing once I'm home grilling a delicious bacon+bbq burger.

HappylilElf on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    cnn.com stream has no audio for me. the hell?

same here - listening to the npr feed instead

SaraLuna on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PROPOSE SOMETHING

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    just turned him on on msnbc. not the feed, but the tv.

and the first things I noticed is the pictures behind him.

lonelyahava on
  • MplsOsirisMplsOsiris Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    just turned him on on msnbc. not the feed, but the tv.

and the first things I noticed is the pictures behind him.

That was the first thing I noticed too. I actually think this speech was a good idea, and I for one am glad he gave it.

MplsOsiris on
    A while back I hated where my life was and where my life was going. Now I'm happily engaged, in the best shape I've been in since high school, have a bunch of wild stories and most importantly I enjoy my life! You can check out what I'm up to next at http://coolbyintent.com/blog
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was there a rebuttal? Because if there was, ABC didn't show it.

Which was the best possible outcome for Obama. He gets to say something without anybody wailing and rending garments about some kind of shit afterwards.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No rebuttal so far.

Sad thing is that so much is going on in the 24/7 news that this will be forgotten in about a week.

Barcardi on
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought it was very thoughtful and classy, overall. A good closure.

I noticed the pictures, too. They made me smile.

N1tSt4lker on
    edited September 2010
    Any screencaps yet? I was on radio so i have zero idea what you are talking about... n cnn.com makes it really blurry for me for some reason.

Barcardi on
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Any screencaps yet? I was on radio so i have zero idea what you are talking about.

He had pictures of Snooki and Sookie on his desk.

Lady Eri on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He was sitting at his desk and behind him there were pictures of him with his family, getting married, etc.

Quid on
    edited September 2010
    Ah, i was picturing some random troops or something.

Barcardi on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nah, a picture with the four of them, one of the two girls, and then a wedding picture.

But they were... quite prominently displayed. you couldn't help but see the pictures and smile.

lonelyahava on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gosling wrote: »

Which was the best possible outcome for Obama. He gets to say something without anybody wailing and rending garments about some kind of shit afterwards.

There was a "prebuttal". That's the GOP's wording, by the way.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/31/boehner.speech/index.html

"It worked!

Uh... all thanks to us, though!"

Suriko on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I missed most it because I was focused on writing database code. D:

Is there a good summary somewhere?

MKR on
    edited September 2010
    Troops good, Iraq war over, Afghanistan war still vital, we need to unite to save economy.

That was the basic gist.

enlightenedbum on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »

"It worked!

If I were the Republicans I would pretend as hard as I could that Iraq doesn't exist. It works for them with global warming.

override367 on
    edited September 2010

If I were the Republicans I would pretend as hard as I could that Iraq doesn't exist. It works for them with global warming/the poor/sex education.

Fixed.

MplsOsiris on
    A while back I hated where my life was and where my life was going. Now I'm happily engaged, in the best shape I've been in since high school, have a bunch of wild stories and most importantly I enjoy my life! You can check out what I'm up to next at http://coolbyintent.com/blog
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

"It worked!

We already all know the answer, and it's certainly nothing new, but does absolutely everything have to have political hackery thrown into the mix in the US? Does the opposition party have to be confrontational on every single thing?

TubularLuggage on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

"It worked!

We already all know the answer, and it's certainly nothing new, but does absolutely everything have to have political hackery thrown into the mix in the US? Does the opposition party have to be confrontational on every single thing?

Mix a poorly educated, heavily jingoistic segment of the populace with political games, and this is what you get. Maybe they decided it was a bad idea at some point, but it's too late to change message now.

Our media is pretty bad too. They treat all views as equally meritorious, then cut to drug ads, political attack ads, and the odd manipulative PSA. That's pretty much our system.

MKR on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does the opposition party have to be confrontational on every single thing?
    Yes.

Couscous on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Does the opposition party have to be confrontational on every single thing?
    Yes.

At least when they are Republicans. Democrats must always be spineless wimps.

Captain Carrot on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    nah, a picture with the four of them, one of the two girls, and then a wedding picture.

But they were... quite prominently displayed. you couldn't help but see the pictures and smile.

i thought the one on the right (his left) was the famous photo of him as a boy with his father

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is the issue that should be pressed AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN to rev up the base. Obama is cleaning up the GOP's greatest mess, and everyone needs to see that effort. The public and the base need to be reminded of this over and over.

No-Quarter on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i thought the one on the right (his left) was the famous photo of him as a boy with his father

In the madrassa? Learning terror?

It was, well, it was. I was left a little empty by it. I'm not saying I expected him to come charging out of the gate, all "there, I finished what you guys fucked up - you're welcome" but it seemed a little shy on the 'mistakes were made,' little heavy on the 'can we just move on now?'

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    This is the issue that should be pressed AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN to rev up the base. Obama is cleaning up the GOP's greatest mess, and everyone needs to see that effort. The public and the base need to be reminded of this over and over.

They'll bitch about Afghanistan.

enlightenedbum on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

i dunno

the right is convinced that he didn't clean it up fast enough or well enough or cheaply enough or didn't have enough of a huge victory

and a lot of the left is pissed that he didn't pull out right away and also bring up bush on like war crime charges

there's a lot of bullshit out there and it seems not a lot of reward for doing his job responsibly

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Then the GOP should be reminded that that was their war to win. And that Osama bin Ladin was their criminal to lose. And press that again and again and again. And you won't have to worry about the media not reporting it because The President will be saying it on national television. Let the Jindal's and the Krauthammers respond, and make themselves look foolish just as they did back during the election. Make voters remember why they put this man into office in the first place. I'm sick and tired of not hitting back against these fools with their own abdominal records on just about everything.

As for everyone else pissing and moaning, well:
    Funny_Pictures_7765.jpg

No-Quarter on
    edited September 2010
    The better idea would be to propose some job creation programs and make the Republicans come up with an economic agenda. The way things are going 2012 is going to be... interesting.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    The better idea would be to propose some job creation programs and make the Republicans come up with an economic agenda. The way things are going 2012 is going to be... interesting.

I'm seriously hoping for a Palin ticket. Oh god, I would donate so much money to her primary campaign.

MplsOsiris on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sick and tired of not hitting back against these fools with their own abdominal records on just about everything.

Yeah. Their record is pretty shitty.

Drake on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Then the GOP should be reminded that that was their war to win. And that Osama bin Ladin was their criminal to lose. And press that again and again and again. And you won't have to worry about the media not reporting it because The President will be saying it on national television. Let the Jindal's and the Krauthammers respond, and make themselves look foolish just as they did back during the election. Make voters remember why they put this man into office in the first place. I'm sick and tired of not hitting back against these fools with their own abdominal records on just about everything.

As for everyone else pissing and moaning, well:
    Funny_Pictures_7765.jpg

Obama tried to ask republicans for ideas for health care and that didnt help him at all. They brought nothing to the table, at all, and it changed no minds, even as him and other dems proposed a half dozen new ideas

override367 on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    It was, well, it was. I was left a little empty by it. I'm not saying I expected him to come charging out of the gate, all "there, I finished what you guys fucked up - you're welcome" but it seemed a little shy on the 'mistakes were made,' little heavy on the 'can we just move on now?'

Thirty years from now people will be comparing Obama to Gerald Ford for not attempting to use the office to investigate and punish the actions of his predecessor.

"It could go on and on and on, or someone must write the end to it. I have concluded that only I can do that, and if I can, I must."
    -President Gerald Ford, televised address, 9/8/1974

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would have watched this but I forgot about it until I got a text message from Obama.

At 9:30pm EST, well after the speech.

Tomanta on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Saw this come across the twitter feed this morning. I agree with the general sentiment.

In honor of combat operations coming to an end, I think it's important to reflect on why we went in the first place.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png