As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [chat] about bowel movements

1575859606163»

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Comics for literature majors. I see. I'm OK with being left out of that. I hated On the Road so much. It was the worst book I ever forced myself to finish (normally if I really dislike a book I just stop).

Pro Tip: I never finished On the Road either. I much prefer Burroughs.

Pro Tip: I never finished Naked Lunch. Sober. I dunno if that's a good thing or not though.

Sheep on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    But it's retarded because people now DEFINE a hipster as someone who is judgmental, arrogant, and interested in only appearances.

So they're hating on people... who are defined as people that you would automatically hate anyway.

So it's like saying "man I can't stand people I can't stand."

Which doesn't say anything.

But now we come to the part that pisses me off. Because dressing in the way "hipsters" dress and liking the things "hipsters" like is so common among young people, because every human being on earth is a social creature and we dress and act like the people we associate ourselves with. That's part of being human.

So you have a whole group of people getting all high and mighty about a caricature of people they set up beforehand to be annoying, by definition, and then that prejudice gets applied to people who don't deserve it. Because walking down the street you might see someone wearing a scarf and what was once a scarf now becomes a sign that they themselves are that caricature that you've set up in your head.

It's completely retarded and the hipster hate is so juvenile and I am so sick of it.

Note: I'm talking about genuine hate here. Joking around about "lolol hipsters" is fine and stuff.

It's when it gets into the "i fucking hate hipsters" territory that I think the whole meme should be just taken out back and fucking shot.

/rant over

Limed for what I was trying to say...

Another great example: My cousin, dressed in scarf, raybans, graphic t and jeans at an Arcade Fire concert, "These hipsters are ruining this fucking concert."

Uhhhh...

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    these scans
    avengersv37781lionheartld5.jpg
    avengersv37781lionheartmq1.jpg

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what I want to know is what collection of comics will I find those scans Thom linked a while back

the ones of the mother standing up to that dude and being super noble

Avengers something. Give me a moment and I'll get you an answer. But fair warning, that arc wasn't very good, that one bit was stellar but the rest was pretty drek.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cinders wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Comics for literature majors. I see. I'm OK with being left out of that. I hated On the Road so much. It was the worst book I ever forced myself to finish (normally if I really dislike a book I just stop).

Canadian History majors actually.

With minors in literature.

Emperor Norton would like to have a word with you.

I mean it's not only Canada. But there are a sizable number of comics that sail over my head because I was taught literally nothing about our neighbors to the north.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Avengers vol. 3, #77. Collected in The Avengers Volume 4 - Lionheart Of Avalon.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jkosh come to PAX

Nocturne on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    My beef with hipsters is summed up reasonably well in this article.
    The American Apparel V-neck shirt, Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and Parliament cigarettes are symbols and icons of working or revolutionary classes that have been appropriated by hipsterdom and drained of meaning. Ten years ago, a man wearing a plain V-neck tee and drinking a Pabst would never be accused of being a trend-follower. But in 2008, such things have become shameless clichés of a class of individuals that seek to escape their own wealth and privilege by immersing themselves in the aesthetic of the working class.

Yeah that pretty much fucking nails it.

Though I see a difference between Mike's "label shit you don't like a hipster" and my somewhat specific idea of what constitutes a hipster.

Sheep on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Avengers vol. 3, #77. Collected in The Avengers Volume 4 - Lionheart Of Avalon.

Thank you. That bit is just too good for me to let the rest of that arc ruin it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    Do a thing! Make a thread.

217526348_hnj75-L-2.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.