As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Little Nemo in [chat]land.

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm going to bed. But I figured I'd start a new [chat] for a new day.

Also, chat of comics for literature majors.

Comics for literature majors. Seems like Tycho should have gotten in on that.

mccay_nemo.jpg

And finally...

"I’ve always found that word ["hipster"] is used with such disdain, like it’s always used by chubby bloggers who aren’t getting laid anymore and are bored, and they’re just so mad at these young kids for going out and getting wasted and having fun and being fashionable," he says. "I’m dubious of these hypotheses because they always smell of an agenda."

What a d bag.

"You don't like us not because of X, but you don't like us cause you're fat and ugly so there."

Sheep on

• stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    do your thing
    make my body say

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Noooooo, no more hipster chat

Nerdgasmic on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Poop cover letters are stupid

So It Goes on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't really mind that hipsters try to make themselves look working class

I usually assume that people can tell I'm working class because whenever I try to dress classy I fail miserably

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    moniker on
    edited September 2010
    Curses, missed it by a minute.

moniker on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote:
    My beef with hipsters is summed up reasonably well in this article.

quote:
    The American Apparel V-neck shirt, Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and Parliament cigarettes are symbols and icons of working or revolutionary classes that have been appropriated by hipsterdom and drained of meaning. Ten years ago, a man wearing a plain V-neck tee and drinking a Pabst would never be accused of being a trend-follower. But in 2008, such things have become shameless clichés of a class of individuals that seek to escape their own wealth and privilege by immersing themselves in the aesthetic of the working class.

Yeah that pretty much fucking nails it.

Though I see a difference between Mike's "label shit you don't like a hipster" and my somewhat specific idea of what constitutes a hipster.

My last beef: Why do we act like this is a new thing?

Punks, skinheads, beats and hippies all dressed in leather, peasant blouses, torn jeans, etc etc to emulate a socioeconomic class that they weren't inherently a part of. But suddenly now we treat this new subculture with such disdain and call them the end of the world. Subcultures have been around forever, everyone seems to have gotten along just fine.

Now we just have blogs to complain about them.

stevemarks44 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    I don't like Wes Anderson. I feel like this needs to be repeated, as often as possible.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I mean to me wearing a north face watch cap feels classy

But I'd bet money that it's not

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    I don't like Wes Anderson. I feel like this needs to be repeated, as often as possible.

I like his movies so far. Didn't see the newest one yet.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited September 2010

anything in particular

stilist on
    edited September 2010

He's become too self-aware.

Bottle Rocket was interesting, Royal Tennenbaums was his peak and The Life Aquatic was fun.

His aesthetic, directing style and narrative and character arcs have never grown, changed or evolved in almost a decade.

Watching his movies now, I can't enjoy them because I'm constantly bombarded with him telling me I'm watching a Wes Anderson movie.

...I wanted to like Fantastic Mr Fox so badly...

so much center justification...

stevemarks44 on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeeeeesh I shouldnt' have done so many shots with that old vet

yikes

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote:

quote:
    The American Apparel V-neck shirt, Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and Parliament cigarettes are symbols and icons of working or revolutionary classes that have been appropriated by hipsterdom and drained of meaning. Ten years ago, a man wearing a plain V-neck tee and drinking a Pabst would never be accused of being a trend-follower. But in 2008, such things have become shameless clichés of a class of individuals that seek to escape their own wealth and privilege by immersing themselves in the aesthetic of the working class.

Though I see a difference between Mike's "label shit you don't like a hipster" and my somewhat specific idea of what constitutes a hipster.

Punks, skinheads, beats and hippies all dressed in leather, peasant blouses, torn jeans, etc etc to emulate a socioeconomic class that they weren't inherently a part of. But suddenly now we treat this new subculture with such disdain and call them the end of the world. Subcultures have been around forever, everyone seems to have gotten along just fine.

And all of them actually produced culture. Hipsters seem to do little more then to sort through the refuse pile of cultures gone by.

And Fluffy, that scene is perhaps one of the best deaths in Comics. And there was some wonderful potential there. Captain America comforting the woman's son who idolized him but it came off as very flat.

Thomamelas on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Podly wrote: »

yikes

A HIPSTER! GET HIM!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

yikes

You did shots with a vet? What kind of animals has he seen that would make him want to drink like that?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I think we should all be able to agree that Podly is a hipster

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate people who hate hipsters

find something better to do, fuck

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thank god my islam thread was shut down

that thing was a travesty

also, I wear my v-necks with pride

I don't think a v-neck shirt is a working-class thing, and the only people I know that smoke parliaments are europeans, so there you go

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    edited September 2010

I don't think a v-neck shirt is a working-class thing, and the only people I know that smoke parliaments are europeans, so there you go

even if it is, who gives a flying fuck?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    Podly

You are so sad

so sad

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010

You do apparently

So It Goes on
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote:

quote:

And all of them actually produced culture. Hipsters seem to do little more then to sort through the refuse pile of cultures gone by.

And Fluffy, that scene is perhaps one of the best deaths in Comics. And there was some wonderful potential there. Captain America comforting the woman's son who idolized him but it came off as very flat.

Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt very many people in those subcultures were aware they were "creating culture".

There's some really interesting things being done in the arts right now. Just because you may not like the particular culture doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Whos to say that picking parts of other cultures is bad? I think in a lot of ways it's creating some pretty interesting cross-cultural experiments.

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

You do apparently

I'm not the one who hates people who aren't working class for wearing v-neck shirts

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010

My guess would be people who are actually working class whose way of living has now become a passing trend

Or people who actually have personalities and don't need to chase such trends to substitute for one

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    I have no energy right now

stilist on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i was so inspired by my rant here that i wrote a facebook note and posted it about hipster hate and how retarded it is

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »

My guess would be people who are actually working class whose way of living has now become a passing trend

Or people who actually have personalities and don't need to chase such trends to substitute for one

and what makes the former group justified? What makes you think the second group actually exists?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    i was so inspired by my rant here that i wrote a facebook note and posted it about hipster hate and how retarded it is

MikeMan, you and me...like this

stevemarks44 on
    edited September 2010

did you do this in a coffee shop while not drinking coffee and typing as loudly as possible y/n

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote:

quote:

Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt very many people in those subcultures were aware they were "creating culture".

There's some really interesting things being done in the arts right now. Just because you may not like the particular culture doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Whos to say that picking parts of other cultures is bad? I think in a lot of ways it's creating some pretty interesting cross-cultural experiments.

And if they were doing a lot of fusion stuff that might be interesting. But the vast majority of stuff coming out of hipsters is little more then a fetish of overly romanticized purity.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    jacobkosh wrote:

quote:

The issue is the substitution of irony for authenticity without actually rebelling against much in the process. This isn't the 1920's. Dadaism already went there.

moniker on
    edited September 2010
    unfortunately should probably be coding something

stilist on
    edited September 2010
    "My way of living is wearing a v-neck shirt. Hipsters have stolen my way of life from me. CURSE YOU, HIPSTERSSSSS"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010

Problem One: If hipsters hadn't produced a culture, by what rubric would you then accredit hipsterism to someone?
    Problem Two: How have other subcultures created other cultures by any means other than re-appropriating the detritus of mainstream culture?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I honestly don't know if I've ever met a hipster

I don't really know much about them

Like I wouldn't be able to properly identify a hipster in a police lineup

Nocturne on
    edited September 2010
    What makes you think the second group actually exists?

...Really?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Res wrote: »

did you do this in a coffee shop while not drinking coffee and typing as loudly as possible y/n
    y

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010
    Haha Justin Bieber trying to dance

This is hilarious

So It Goes on
This discussion has been closed.