As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Writing two weeks notice

Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm planning on turning in my two week notice tomorrow, my employers are not going to see it coming, not by a long shot. You knw that scene in Serenity when Mal says "No, they wont see this coming", and then the operative is all smiles and giggles till the Reavers come out?

Yeah, we're talking about that kind of left field for them.

My initial plan was to send an e-mail to the owner (We're a small company, about ten people), explaining to him personally why I'm leaving (My boss), and then giving my boss written notice which is far more vague, while sending my co-workers a picture of a guy in an ejection seat.

So, the question is this. Should I even bother with sending the owner an e-mail? Or just leave it at the written notice to my boss and keep stone walling on a valid reason?

And what's the best way to write a two weeks that says "I'm leaving, you can't change my mind" while being vague about the specific reason.

Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
Movie Collection
Foody Things
Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
Nakatomi2010 on

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    be as brief as possible. you don't need to explain yourself, nor should you. the best letters of resignation are a sentence or two long.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You don't need to give any reason.

"This letter serves as notice that I will be leaving my position at [company], effective [date].

Sincerely,

Nakatomi"

If you want to explain more than that in person, feel free. But there's no need to put anything else in the letter. Your two week notice is a courtesy to them.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, just keep the letter short and simple and explain further in person if you feel the need.

oldsak on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Six wrote: »

"This letter serves as notice that I will be leaving my position at [company], effective [date].

Sincerely,

Nakatomi"

If you want to explain more than that in person, feel free. But there's no need to put anything else in the letter. Your two week notice is a courtesy to them.

This is basically my resignation letter template.

Deebaser on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Welcome to dumpsville, population you.

Third or whatever those who say, keep it short in simple. If you want to add something to owner, add a line or two about how its been a pleasure to work for your company. No point in burning bridges. leave overt reasoning for face to face meetings

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keep your resignation letter as brief as possible, and try to avoid any kind of exit interview they ask you to do.

You have very little to gain by badmouthing your boss and a fair amount to lose.

Hachface on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could always request an exit interview. That's the time to explain why you are leaving, not in a letter of resignation that will be on file anytime a potential employer calls for a reference or to verify employment.

Or listen to Hatchface, because that's actually the best advice. Bottle up your anger and just be professional till the end.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't tell them why you're quitting, not even in email. You don't owe them anything, chances are, it'll come back and bite you in the ass.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When I left my last job it was out of nowhere. I gave my two weeks to my boss in a short email and letter (very short, just the needed words) and called my old boss (who was now the whole office boss) and told him on the phone because I didn't want him to find out via email (he was on the other side of the country in our Vegas office). He asked me why and I didn't lie, I told him that I loved working with him and my coworker but that my new boss was abusive and I wasn't going to be able to deal with it anymore.

I knew with him out of the office more he didn't see it and I wanted him to know why I was leaving so that when they had trouble keeping someone in my position they knew why (and they have had trouble filling my spot and the other coworker has also since left).

VisionOfClarity on
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

Sincerely,

Nakatomi"

This is basically my resignation letter template.

if I liked the job I usually throw in something along the lines of "thank you for letting me learn about <> and meet great people along the way", but that's just if I liked the job lots.

ihmmy on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unless you have a relationship with the owner that would cause you to want to extend him special courtesy, you don't need to email him. Just drop the boss a note, or give him one in person.

Don't email your co-workers anything dumb. That's only going to come around to hurt you.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I don't have much to add, except to say that if there's someone there you intend to use as a reference, it might be good to see that they don't hear it through the grape vine.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    I don't have much to add, except to say that if there's someone there you intend to use as a reference, it might be good to see that they don't hear it through the grape vine.

Yeah. I really hate when i dont even hear from the person that theyre leaving, or that theyre going to use me for a reference, and then i get a random call in the middle of the day asking me about their work history with us.

When we used to have more employees sometimes i didnt even realise they had left and id have to ask a coworker "Uhh, is bob looking for a new job??" only to find out he doesnt even work for us anymore. Cus im not exactly going to start giving out work history to someone if i dont even know who they are or if its legit (there used to be a lot of poaching in our industry).

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, when I quit my last job I wrote a very simple "I will be leaving as of _____. Thank you for the opportunity to work for your organization." and got told "You need to write a longer one, with a detailed explanation of why you're leaving, and specifically stating that it's not because of the people you work with, unless it is then you have to say that." So I had to go back and rewrite it. But yeah, if you can get away with it write it as short as possible.

Wezoin on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Wow, when I quit my last job I wrote a very simple "I will be leaving as of _____. Thank you for the opportunity to work for your organization." and got told "You need to write a longer one, with a detailed explanation of why you're leaving, and specifically stating that it's not because of the people you work with, unless it is then you have to say that." So I had to go back and rewrite it. But yeah, if you can get away with it write it as short as possible.

what were they going to do? fire you?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

What happened here is that the company wanted exit interview data and strong armed you into complying. Under no circumstances do you need to give anything but two weeks notice.

Enc on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm planning on turning in my two week notice tomorrow, my employers are not going to see it coming, not by a long shot. You knw that scene in Serenity when Mal says "No, they wont see this coming", and then the operative is all smiles and giggles till the Reavers come out?

Yeah, we're talking about that kind of left field for them.

My initial plan was to send an e-mail to the owner (We're a small company, about ten people), explaining to him personally why I'm leaving (My boss), and then giving my boss written notice which is far more vague, while sending my co-workers a picture of a guy in an ejection seat.

So, the question is this. Should I even bother with sending the owner an e-mail? Or just leave it at the written notice to my boss and keep stone walling on a valid reason?

And what's the best way to write a two weeks that says "I'm leaving, you can't change my mind" while being vague about the specific reason.

I don't see any way the bolded could come back and bite you in the ass:!:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »

Well, no it was implied that it would be assumed that I left because of something a coworker did that upset me or something - they made it seem as though repurcussions would come to those I worked with. It may have even just been something like the department might lose funding if they lose staff due to treating staff poorly or something, I dunno. All I added was "because I found a job closer to school. I enjoyed working with the staff here." and left it at that

Wezoin on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just to be clear, the actual resignation letter is being handed in as a hard-copy, right? Every time I gave my notice, I was advised by colleagues that it was important to make it a signed hard-copy so that I could control who found out I was leaving and how (rather than having an email forwarded by the office manager). I suppose that's not a universal thing?

SammyF on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there even a "right" way to do this anymore? Take me for example. My boss doesn't have an office with a door. Co-workers are all around him. It would less private to hand him a hard copy in person, than if I were to e-mail him.

NotYou on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They could provide a poor reference, citing this as an example of insubordination.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They could provide a poor reference, citing this as an example of insubordination.

Personally, I'd be highly resistant to taking that sort of example of insubordination at face value, unless of course Wezoin had offered his polite refusal by saying something along the lines of "nuh uh, I'm not going to fuckin' re-write my resignation letter, I quit, I fuckin' quit!" and then grabbed a beer off the beverage cart on the way to the front of the aircraft, where he pulled that big orange handle and rode the yellow emergency slide to freedom. :)

SammyF on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    short and sweet in the formal signed letter, explanations to those who you deem deserve it and under no circumstances do you walk away backwards flipping everyone off

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks guys, this thread can be closed.

My wife calls the one I picked "Cold and neutral" as it essentially says when I'm leaving, and then explains that I talked it over with my family and friends and decided to pursue other opportunities.

I'm curious as to whether he's going to dismiss me, or let me continue working.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If he dismisses you, he would have to pay you the remaining two weeks. At least thats how it would be over here.

also: its a letter of resignation, if it isnt cold and neutral, youre doing it wrong.

Awk on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Awk wrote: »
    If he dismisses you, he would have to pay you the remaining two weeks. At least thats how it would be over here.

also: its a letter of resignation, if it isnt cold and neutral, youre doing it wrong.

Yeah getting a paycheck for the last two weeks while you sit on your ass and do nothing and/or are doing another job is great.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah getting a paycheck for the last two weeks while you sit on your ass and do nothing and/or are doing another job is great.
    Indeed. When I was laid off a while back i was actually making more money not working than if i was to find another job

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is extremely unlikely to happen, as they could then be held liable if it affects him getting another job.

Typically, a company won't say anything more than, "Yes, he worked here from this date to this date, and this was his title."

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks guys, this thread can be closed.

My wife calls the one I picked "Cold and neutral" as it essentially says when I'm leaving, and then explains that I talked it over with my family and friends and decided to pursue other opportunities.

My best guess at this situation is that you're a congressman that got caught with a hooker

Doc on