As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2010 Challenge Coins

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, none have arrived yet for me... looks like they may not arrive in time. =( If that happens, I'll try to find a way to mail Kristin's out to her somehow.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, none have arrived yet for me... looks like they may not arrive in time. =( If that happens, I'll try to find a way to mail Kristin's out to her somehow.

I have one maybe two (one for myself one for my assassin) that I can give to one of you all and then you or someone repays me.

adester on
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Today's the last chance for me to get mine before I fly out. <Fingers Crossed>

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
    edited September 2010
    It's okay, no worries =) I'll make do... and indeed, if they've reached MO by yesterday already, perhaps they'll come before I leave for the flight today. We'll see! =)

VThornheart on
  • karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Get me your contact information so we can meet up. I'll loan you one of mine for her, and you can mail me one later. That way you can hand it to her in person (or whatever you choose to do). This is what the 5 or so extras I ordered are for after all.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah thats what I was doing. Think she said it was ok.

adester on
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, well I'll keep you guys posted on it... indeed, my overly optimistic hope that it would come today is definitely fading. I'll give you info if it does indeed not come, and we'll figure something out =)

VThornheart on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just received mine. I have to say they look and feel amazing. Thanks for putting this together.

PeasantDave on
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... I'm really slow on the boat on all this - I'd like to get/buy a coin or two for me and the hubby. I am in Seattle, and so if someone has extras, can probably meet them before PAX.

Can someone email me if they're able to do this? shannel_s@yahoo.com

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
    edited September 2010
    Melcene wrote: »
    So... I'm really slow on the boat on all this - I'd like to get/buy a coin or two for me and the hubby. I am in Seattle, and so if someone has extras, can probably meet them before PAX.

Do you need to have them at PAX? If not, you can still order them, as NWTM is still fulfilling orders for these coins. They just won't get to you before PAX starts.

karmacappa on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess Houston is on the ass end of FedEx's delivery routes cause looks like no coins for me pre-PAX. :(

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • IMustangIIMustangI Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Apparently, I saw this way to late, however if anyone has one to sell, let me know.

IMustangI on
  • MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    karmacappa wrote: »
    Melcene wrote: »

Do you need to have them at PAX? If not, you can still order them, as NWTM is still fulfilling orders for these coins. They just won't get to you before PAX starts.

Nah, don't NEED to have them at PAX, but would be preferable :)

Melcene on
    melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The orders are still open - you just won't get them this week.

Most people who ordered only ordered one or two for themselves or as a gift - Good luck finding someone to part with theirs. :)

Heleor on
  • inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, just checking in - I had my name down for two coins to give to Mike and Jerry, but haven't received them due to ordering stuff. I hereby relinquish any reservation to being the one to give it to them. Hope someone else can claim it.

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have my coin with me, and can volunteer it for this purpose.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Delivered mine for Kiko (to Erika...). The rest of you have FAILED!

REG Rysk on
  • inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Actually, it looks like we've managed to work something out to get Mike and Jerry their coins tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where's this? I may like to bear witness.

REG Rysk on
    edited September 2010
    Possibly at the AQI panel, but not 100% sure if it will be during or after.

karmacappa on
    edited September 2010
    So, mission pretty much accomplised. I gave in all my coins, and gave the guys at PA some extra, so that they should make sure everyone there gets a coin. The guys at PA super liked the coins. Here is a picture I took of Mike posing with a coin in his Jim Darkmagic cloak.
    4959256720_d809e25b95.jpg

karmacappa on
  • Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So if this is done next year, will they be minted as 2011? Or will each year be minted 2010?

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it is implied that it would be a new design.

So new date as well.

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I wound up giving mine to Kiko on Saturday night (for Mike F.). I'm glad to hear that everyone at the office seemed to like 'em!

Fantastic job to everyone and thanks again to papaprinny. Now all we've gotta do is get 'em earlier for next year so we can all be sure to have them in time, maybe present them at the Q&A.

Lumenadducere on
    edited September 2010
    So we should start working on new designs asap! the more ppl that submit designs the more we will have to choose from for later PAX events.

Ima prolly find some PA images and toss something together and post it here later.

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
    edited September 2010
    So after atray directed me to page 4 i realize why the PA logo was not used... and sadly the same thing will prolly toss these ideas out the window as well since they are offical PA characters and the like but i guess i will post the general ideas anyway...
    pa3.jpg
    pa1.jpg

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
    edited September 2010
    A few things to keep in mind about designs and future efforts:
    1) They should differentiate between PAX East and PAX Prime. Not a snobbery thing, but the spirit of challenge coins links them to one specific unit, location, or event. PAX East and PAX Prime coins are equally awesome, but in different ways.
    2) Vector graphics are an excellent idea. These pictures will often be enlarged, shrunk, or manipulated. Raster graphics are very hard to manipulate in this fashion.
    3) Challenge coins don't often look like money. Going with NWTM, the coins did look a lot like what we would consider currency. Consider that it may perhaps be desirable to have color and an edging on the face of the coin to give it more impact. We should be designing a collectible, not currency.
    4) Coins can be plated to have different effects. There are a wide array of finishes you can obtain, some will look more awesome on a particular design than others. It pays to learn what is possible so you can determine what the base metal of the coin face will look like.
    5) Cost to produce a die varies. Some designs cost more than others, depending on the amount and type of colors you use, 3d vs 2d, and the complexity of the design.
    6) Presentation has a big effect. I can tell you from personal experience, when I was presenting these coins in a nice wooden box, the people were MUCH more impressed than when I handed the coin to them in a small zip-loc bag.
    7) Ease of ordering and shipping is a big concern going forward. I paid $28 in shipping/handling for NWTM to use a $5 (or less) shipping method. In future orders, I'd like to see our manufacturer provide support for multiple people in one order and upgrade the shipping for those who actually pay more for s/h.

karmacappa on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here are my personal opinions on what you're saying, karma:

Unless USCC uses them, I don't see how vector graphics would necessarily help. At least with NWTM, the design was left to the artist.
    As for the currency look, I completely agree. We went with this design since it was the most financially viable option from NWTM. As for the edging on the coin, we won't have that in the future. Additionally, whenever it benefits the design, there will be color.
    Costs to produce dies will be taken into account in the future, but I will always go with the more striking option. We will put forth design possibilities in the future and their implications for cost of the die, but I will always prefer the more striking and appropriate design, and pay the difference.
    As hinted above, we will not be using NWTM in the future. Their design work is fine, but their model for distribution leaves a lot to be desired. We should not have to depend on a single person to place orders. US Challenge Coins has a system in place that allows prospective buyers to directly purchase a coin of someone else's design. Additionally, their design options are greatly varied, and in general their coins are cheaper to purchase even with more design elements in place.

By the way, orders for the coins are slowing down to a crawl now. If anyone wishes to order one, be advised that orders will now be placed on a weekly basis.

I will also say that, going forward, no one should hand a coin to a person of interest while at PAX if they did not offer in the first place to give one to that person, but someone else HAS offered to give a coin to that person. If I had promised to provide a coin to someone, paid for it, then discovered that someone else had given my intended recipient a coin first, I will be quite unhappy that my purchase had suddenly been made in vain.

With that in mind: Who here received a coin in time for PAX and gave it to their intended recipients? Additionally, who provided coins to people at PAX in the stead of someone else? We need to know these things so that we may mail the coins to their intended recipients at Penny Arcade. As you post, let me know so that I may fill out the following list:

Persons who received coins at PAX (please say whether you provided any of these people a coin of this thread's design while at PAX):

Mike K - karmacappa (conflict - inocuo)
    Kiko - REG Rysk
    Jerry - karmacappa (conflict - inocuo)
    Mike F -
    Robert -
    Josh - karmacappa
    Jeff - karmacappa
    Brian - karmacappa
    Dave -
    Erika - karmacappa
    Kristin -

Scott Kurtz - karmacappa
    Kris Straub - karmacappa
    Wil Wheaton -

If you were unable to provide your intended recipient a coin while at PAX, let me know so that I may send you a mailing address.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I suppose it is time for me to order one of these. But will NWTM send it USPS? I absolutely cannot get UPS/FEDEX here, international or otherwise.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    I provided my coin for Kiko to Erika on Friday.

REG Rysk on
    edited September 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Here are my personal opinions on what you're saying, karma:

Unless USCC uses them, I don't see how vector graphics would necessarily help. At least with NWTM, the design was left to the artist.

Costs to produce dies will be taken into account in the future, but I will always go with the more striking option. We will put forth design possibilities in the future and their implications for cost of the die, but I will always prefer the more striking and appropriate design, and pay the difference.

Mike K - karmacappa
    Jerry - karmacappa
    Josh - karmacappa
    Jeff - karmacappa
    Brian - karmacappa
    Erika - karmacappa
    Scott Kurtz - karmacappa
    Kris Straub - karmacappa

I provided coins for these people. Josh, Jeff, and Brian did not receive their coins personally, but were given to another employee. I believe the bag that I gave these coins in had 2 extras, but I'm not 100% sure on that number. It was busy, and it was a "thrust a bag at them and mention Josh/Jeff/Brian" type deal.

I agree with you on the die costs. Whichever company that the coins are produced at needs to be up front about how much a die cost for a particular design will be. I just threw it up as a consideration so that people are aware that the cost for a die can change with different designs.

When I worked on a challenge coin, the company used my drawings except where I specified that they should redraw the area. Using a vector based graphic file means cleaner lines, the ability to do minor adjustments to element positions or scales easily, and a very high fidelity model for the die. It's really up to the designer to determine what format of file to use, but the vector graphics are probably going to provide the company with the best idea of exactly what you want.

karmacappa on
    edited September 2010
    how many coins sold so far?

just curious.

maybe we could work with the PA staff and get them sold in the official PA merchandise area so we can use official logos and stuff and all profits would go to them.

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
    edited September 2010
    Soularis wrote: »

just curious.

maybe we could work with the PA staff and get them sold in the official PA merchandise area so we can use official logos and stuff and all profits would go to them.

This kind of stuff has been talked about. Robert was watching this when we started and hinted at some possibility for an official PA one, but the main idea was NO PROFIT.

I understand you are potentially new to this thread, but we've been over this stuff for more than a month now. Please take the time to read what was here before.

REG Rysk on
  • qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    soo.... apparently they mailed me my coin twice. Two showed up at my house. Different packages (one in envelope, one in box), and both with the same order number and invoice.

Anything i should do papaprinny?

qwhacker on
    edited September 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »

just curious.

This kind of stuff has been talked about. Robert was watching this when we started and hinted at some possibility for an official PA one, but the main idea was NO PROFIT.

I understand you are potentially new to this thread, but we've been over this stuff for more than a month now. Please take the time to read what was here before.

I wouldnt say i was new to this thread but i have not read ALL of it.

I read the thing were khoo said that the PA logo could be used but only if the coin was given away and that it didnt matter if it was non profit.

if they were sold through the PA merchandise store profit or not it would be going to PA and would side step the issue.

personally i wouldn't mind seeing the PA store charging a little more for a profit and having official PA characters and logos. On top of that it would make the coin more redilly available to ppl since only a small number of PAX goers read the forums.

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks again, Papaprinny. A little bezel strip and some sterling wire and I had a dandy PAX pendant to wear this weekend! :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited September 2010
    personally i wouldn't mind seeing the PA store charging a little more for a profit and having official PA characters and logos. On top of that it would make the coin more redilly available to ppl since only a small number of PAX goers read the forums.

I think that Khoo meant that Penny Arcade might do their own coins. If they did that, they'd do it in house.

karmacappa on
    edited September 2010
    karmacappa wrote: »

I think that Khoo meant that Penny Arcade might do their own coins. If they did that, they'd do it in house.

Quoted for "exactly..."

REG Rysk on
    edited September 2010
    Got the coins! They came out really good! Well done Prinny, and NW Mint!

VThornheart on
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Coins came in, they're awesome, and Prinny is awesome.

I never did find you to buy you a drink, but thanks again for all your hard work!

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
This discussion has been closed.