As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New PSU has me in the dark

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
Okay, I'm completely stumped.

My Silverstone ST1000 PSU came in, and I was able to switch all the connections--but it's not turning on. Of course, it could be a dud (I doubt it), or I could have unplugged something without realizing it, but I noticed that the small light on my motherboard did come on (though not the two number display).

EDIT EDIT: Well, I isolated it, I'm fairly certain: my hard drive rack has a strange 12-pin to 8-pin connector, and without it, I can't turn the PC on. Short of taking the whole thing apart, I'm boned, I think. Que sara, sara.

Synthesis on

• FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is indeed the CPU power, if you don't have an 8-pin EPS12V slot on your motherboard you should at least have a 4-pin slot you can stick one side into.

Fats on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I just realized that. The problem is my current cable setup relies entirely on 8-pin inputs of every type. So I'm short one, I think (or at least one of the right voltage). I was able to turn on my PC when I plugged everything back into the old PSU.

Synthesis on
  • BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What motherboard are you using? Or is it a pre-built computer (Dell, HP, ect...)

Beazle on
    edited September 2010
    A 780i, but I had a separate board for hard drives from a few years back. Doesn't matter now, I'm more or less throwing in the towel. Upgrading is expensive, and I don't have the time or energy for it that I used to, honestly.

Synthesis on
  • useruser Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, I'm 100% sure you can power on with just the MB, PSU, CPU, and RAM. Heck you don't even need the CPU / RAM to put a motherboard on standby. How about you work on simply powering these basic things and then once you get them to boot, worry about figuring out your graphics and hard drives.

All you need is to connect the 20/24 Pin ATX connector which provides power to the motherboard, and etiher the 4 PIN ATX auxiliary connector or the 8 pin EPS12V connector for the Processor. If you close the circuit on your PSU and see some sort of light on your motherboard then it has power.

If this doesn't work then get Silverstone on the phone and request an RMA, you should never just settle for bad components. You'll need to tell them your purchase date, the merchant, and provide a copy of the receipt, invoice, or mailing slip (should be able to reprint your order if you bought online).

Check to see if you've correctly connected the front panel connectors (the power switch 2 pin cable in the right header).

I have no idea what you mean by your HD rack requiring some sort of power connector. Just connect the standard IDE (Molex, 4-pin) or SATA (flat, and long) connectors from the Peripheral outputs on your PSU to your individual HD's. There's no way that you weren't supplied sufficient cables with any sort of quality 1000w PSU.

user on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have had motherboards that would refuse to boot without a fan on the CPU header, you might check to see if you've got a fan or at least a monitoring lead plugged in there.

Fats on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm also confused. It almost sounds like an add-in RAID card that may have its own power plug.

There's an 8-pin plug right behind the keyboard/mouse PS/2 connectors.

Mugsley on
    edited September 2010
    I appreciate the advice, but I'm fairly certain that hard drive board was also supplying power to my switches, and I can't quite bring myself to take my whole case apart and hope for the best. You're correct about the first two, User, though i was able to figure that out after a lot of trial and error.
    Fats wrote: »
    I have had motherboards that would refuse to boot without a fan on the CPU header, you might check to see if you've got a fan or at least a monitoring lead plugged in there.

I thought this was the issue too, until I plugged everything into the old PSU outside the case and was able to boot on and function normally.

Synthesis on