As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying Video Games in NY

Or1g1nalGamerOr1g1nalGamer Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello,

I recently moved to Long Island and I'm looking for a non-GameStop place to pick up games. There was a place I went to back in Virginia called "Cool Stuff" that sold used games, consoles, dvds, blu-rays, accessories, and all kinds of stuff.

Anyone in the Ronkonkoma, Islip, or general area who knows any good places?

Thanks,

OG

Or1g1nalGamer on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Welcome to Suffolk County! Enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately think your options are limited to Gamestop, Gamestop, Gamestop, Planet Comics (which doesn't actually have any comics and is actually a gamestop) or EB Games.

They used to have a funcoland by the Smithhaven Mall, but that was turned into a Gamestop a few years back.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I feared that this may be the case. Gamestops everywhere!

Thanks Deebaser

Or1g1nalGamer on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Steam?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I pose the same question: Steam? I have a steam account, but it's not a used game and accessory store.

Or1g1nalGamer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh, you wanted used games and accessories or whatnot, I thought that was just part of the description of the store you used to visit. In that case I can't really help you, as A) I'm nowhere near NY, and B) I buy new games predominantly via steam, and accessories via mail-order or Walmart.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cool, man. Thanks anyway. Yeah, I just want a local store that's not Gamestop.

Or1g1nalGamer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I do suppose you could look for a reputable Pawn shop, with the emphasis being on Reputable.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My recommendation is game fly. Its great for purchasing used games when a non-ripoff brick and mortar alternative does not exist.

illig on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If there are any smaller local video game stores then you'll probably find them in the yellow pages or by driving by one.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure there are a couple Play'N'Trade's in that area.. I've never gone to one but I've heard decent stuff. There's one on 347 just east of Smithaven Mall in the Waldbaums shopping center, and I know I saw another somewhere...

DustyBottoms on
    828636-1.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you check google maps? I live in Queens and there's tons of independant game shops around. I even know a few out on Long Island where I have some family. I'll readily admit that things could be very different near you though.

Cauld on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Unfortunately think your options are limited to Gamestop, Gamestop, Gamestop, Planet Comics (which doesn't actually have any comics and is actually a gamestop) or EB Games.

They used to have a funcoland by the Smithhaven Mall, but that was turned into a Gamestop a few years back.

I didn't know that about Planet Comics. My old manager used to manage that store and loved every second of it. Then again, that was about 14 years ago. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Pawn shop aint exactly what i'm looking for, but who knows. I'll have to give play-n-trade an honest go. Though I've heard it's very franchise. Gamefly is decent if you've been a member long enough. It's just NY is so big and I'm looking for that shop that's off the radar. I'll give Queens a try next time I'm in the city, google maps and the yellow pages don't help much out on the Island.

Or1g1nalGamer on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I didn't know that about Planet Comics. My old manager used to manage that store and loved every second of it. Then again, that was about 14 years ago. :P

Yeah I popped in there around the time X-Men 2 came out because I was all "Damn, these are the same x-men dudes from when I was a kid. I wonder who's on the team in the comics these days." They had maybe a filing box of comics in the shop and greeted me with a query about pre-ordering some bullshit.

The guy behind the counter looked at me strangely when I asked him who was on the X-Men these days.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

EB Games was bought back by Gamestop in October of 2005; so EB Games is also, in fact, a Gamestop.

So, the war was fought, and all game stores are now Gamestop. Taco Bell to be the only restaurant franchise by the late 20th century...

darkgrue on