As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Wing Chun techniques are uncommitted. This means that if the technique fails to connect, the practitioner's position or balance is less affected.
    8-)

815165 on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm watching a Wing Chun demonstration and it appears to be girly slapflighting with the occasional dramatic throw.

This is a discipline that needs to see more use in MMA.

adytum on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Smaller one: jacksonarona12cs.gif

Thread title needs to be:

I'll DIE a Wing Chun Man!

Added powerbomb, and updated thread title. That video was amazingly hilarious

So awkward... just do what they say dude. I wonder if he was put up to that.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No. He's actually an amateur fighter.

Shawn "Seal the Deal" Obasi

Note the complete lack of anything resembling Wing Chun.

CHECK OUT THESE THROWS!

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Watching that at work without sound probably took a lot away from it, but man I think I love that guy. I mean why wing chun of all things?

Actually that does lead to another question I had, can any of you guys remember a savate guy in MMA? I know everybody needs a ground base too but I can't see why savate wouldn't be a perfectly respectable striking discipline, those dudes are actually pretty gnarly.

Peen on
    edited September 2010
    You probably missed the part where he was down on his knees trying to kiss the shoes of the M-1 promoters because they told him he couldn't cut it.

adytum on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    Watching that at work without sound probably took a lot away from it, but man I think I love that guy. I mean why wing chun of all things?

Actually that does lead to another question I had, can any of you guys remember a savate guy in MMA? I know everybody needs a ground base too but I can't see why savate wouldn't be a perfectly respectable striking discipline, those dudes are actually pretty gnarly.

Without going to look anything up, I believe that Kongo is from a Savate background.

However, I might just be thinking that because he's a French kickboxer and that's the prevalent form of kickboxing in that part of the world.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited September 2010
    And also the part where he declares "I'VE BEEN PRACTICING WING CHUN FOR MANY LIFETIMES! NOT JUST 27 YEARS! MANY LIFETIMES!"

adytum on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Born to a Burkinabe mother and a Congolese father, Kongo began training in martial arts when he was 5 years old, learning Kendo and Karate. As he grew older, he began to expand his repertoire and trained in Muay Thai, kickboxing and Greco-Roman wrestling. At age 19, he learned of Pencak Silat, an Indonesian martial art, and was coached by Charles Joussot and Franck Roppers.

From Wiki. Also, dude's real name is Cheick Guillaume Ouedraogo. I never knew that.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    And also the part where he declares "I'VE BEEN PRACTICING WING CHUN FOR MANY LIFETIMES! NOT JUST 27 YEARS! MANY LIFETIMES!"

Yeah I'm gonna have to watch the whole thing with sound :lol:

Peen on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You probably missed the part where he was down on his knees trying to kiss the shoes of the M-1 promoters because they told him he couldn't cut it.

After watching those videos, yeah.

Devil's advocate, that first punch in vid 1 was decent for wing chun in a ring, before going to generic ground and pound. Completely ruined the fat guy, but it looks like he was very unprepared to begin with.

Vid 2, there's maybe a Tut Sao and some shortened Huen Sao in there when he's trying to take the middle before the throwing starts. There's an attempt at deflecting with a Fook Sao, but I'm starting to project.

Now I'm going to go look for more videos of this guy, and I have a feeling- not gonna like what I see...

E: Couple other videos of him fighting, he's using a little wing chun.

The bolded part is still pretty sad.

Octoparrot on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait wing chung guy is 'for serious'?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm watching a Wing Chun demonstration and it appears to be girly slapflighting with the occasional dramatic throw.

Chainpunching

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ui6rj58DA0#t=00m08s

I'm sure it's a perfectly cromulent martial art, but between WING CHUN MAN and the youtube demonstrations, it's worth a laugh.

adytum on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit I've that white maned motherfucker in the background before.

Octoparrot on
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    B:L wrote: »

Chainpunching
    Guide to the successful application of wing chun in a full contact environment:

Step 1: Don't train wing chun.
    Step 2: Train boxing.
    Step 3: For god's sake, don't train wing chun.
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Straight blast!

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No. He's actually an amateur fighter.

Shawn "Seal the Deal" Obasi

Note the complete lack of anything resembling Wing Chun.

CHECK OUT THESE THROWS!

Wait so the guy Wing Chun beat was 26 and 0? And now that Wing Chun beat 5 fighters in a row other fighers are 'dodging him'?

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn, will you people be posting the bagua vs Muay Thai vids next?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unless you can come up with something better Ebel.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited September 2010

I don't think there's been a devoted savateur since the very first UFC. Turns out Sumo guys hate being kicked in the face.

815165 on
    edited September 2010
    It is a perfectly respectable striking discipline.

Savate kicks strike with the toe though... and barefoot this isn't such a great idea. The shin is a much better weapon than the foot if you're not wearing shoes (probably even if you are wearing shoes...), which is partly why muay thai is so popular (and also because it's fucking awesome).

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    edited September 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Damn, will you people be posting the bagua vs Muay Thai vids next?
    How about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLJFEpBoAk

instead?

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is some cool TMA out there. This video is labeled "Bagua fight," but I don't think any Bagua is used. But it's still pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdoEQf3mCaI

Yougottawanna on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys best be not dissin' the Shadowless kick. =(

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know who the fuck Bruce Kivo is from these MMA Confidential videos but all I want to do is listen to him and his fucking lisp.

JustinSane07 on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, here is today's MMA news
    Is the DREAM over? Fighting and Entertainments needs investment or faces bankruptcy.

PUJI Capitol is conducting an internal review of Fighting and Entertainment Group's (FEG) assets and liabilities in advance of a push to attract investors to the struggling fight promotion.

"The actions they're taking are similar to an audit," FEG's U.S. representative, Mike Kogan, told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) on Monday.

Kogan said the Japanese investment bank hopes to raise $230 million for FEG, which operates MMA's DREAM promotion and the K-1 kickboxing organization, over the next five years. But with the company's current financial condition, that timeline may need to be shortened.

More uncertainty arose this past week with reports that FEG had canceled DREAM.17, an event planned for Oct. 25 in South Korea.

Kogan, though, said that the event was taken off the table earlier this year when DREAM.14, originally scheduled for April 24 in Seoul, was scratched due to the absence of a television broadcast deal in the country.

"Basically, it's very simple; we don't have any Korean stars – nobody who's enough to attract super strong ticket sales," he said. "So what's the point of going into Korea?"

DREAM.14 subsequently was rescheduled for May 29 and featured a headliner between Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and veteran Hayato Sakurai. It took place in DREAM's usual home of Saitama, Japan.

Meanwhile, Kogan said DREAM officials are keeping operations lean for the rest of the year while PUJI prepares to shake the money tree. The promotion has two events on its schedule before year's end: DREAM.16, which takes place Sept. 25 in Nagoya, Japan; and Dynamite!! 2010 on New Year's Eve, presumably in Saitama. Additionally, the 2010 K-1 Grand Prix continues with its "Final 16" event on Oct. 2 in Seoul.

But Kogan admitted FEG's future is grim if the Japanese investment bank does not make headway by the beginning of next year.

"Are you asking me if we're going to be in business after Dynamite? I don't know," he said. "It's very difficult. Obviously, we're short on revenues, and we need to – besides restructuring – we need to be able to find new sources of revenue.

"You need money to make money, so to speak. I don't sit in on the financial meetings. But it's very challenging.

"We need investment money. That's the bottom line."

He sounded cautiously optimistic about FEG's viability.

"I know that there are various companies that PUJI has already spoken to that have shown tremendous interest, and there's been ongoing conversations," he said. "There have been a few near misses where we were almost heavily invested (in) by some companies over the years. I think there's interest, but I don't know 100 percent what's going on."

Kogan, who once ran a computer-hardware company before the dot-com boom and joined up with FEG for 2007's K-1 Dynamite!! USA event, said those who criticized the fight promotion's course are missing the bigger picture.

"FEG is a complicated company and machine that comes together by a lot of different pieces coming together, and the biggest piece of it is that we'll never understand is the way that Japanese culture works, and the way they do things," he said. "Where I have no problem telling somebody to go [expletive] themselves, they wouldn't, and (they) end up spending money on something we really shouldn't be. You know what I mean? It's just a different culture. They don't operate necessarily how we do. That's just my opinion."

Whether FEG continues to be viable is yet to be determined. Kogan is resolved either way.

"If this is our last year, then I need to go look for another job," he said.

Gabe Ruediger video of him training with Paris Hilton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHuh8LW0JRI&feature=player_embedded
    Then they both had ice cream cake afterwards and failed to make weight.

Shaq video of him at UFC 118: Calling out Hong Man Choi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDaDz0I6ekQ&feature=player_embedded
    Don't underestimate Shaq. Contrary to the exhibition bouts against Oscar Del La Hoya, and Sugar Shane Mosley, the basket ball legend does possess good hands, has been training MMA and is still training as you read this post, and Hong Man Choi seems to be a ghost of himself nowadays.

Pat Barry taking on the Punching Machine Challenge - Go over 999
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAJfeva0YM&feature=player_embedded

The biggest news: Genki Sudo thinks even harder about coming back to MMA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQyMIVmhGE&feature=player_embedded
    Last April, Genki Sudo mentioned on his personal blog that he received his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt at the Triforce academy under Watanabe Yoshinao. Genki Sudo and his instructor noted that it was somewhat of a paradox to achieve the height of his former profession in retirement. Watanabe asked if this meant he would return to the sport of mixed martial arts and Genki said he thought about it, but abruptly (and sarcastically) said it was a joke. He then ended his diary entry with a 'winking' emoticon.

Lots of videos this time. Welp, that's all for today.

doug_grammar on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My god, even the way Paris Hilton punches a heavy bag is cutesy and irritating.

I heard that DREAM news, my reaction is noooooooooooo

I hope they pull through. There's rumors that there are fighters from recent DREAM events that are still owed money, though I can't find anything firsthand about that.

Yougottawanna on
    edited September 2010
    That's been confirmed, but don't worry, DREAM already has reliable investors waiting.

It's the near future we have to worry about. FEG can't keep this up financially.

doug_grammar on
    edited September 2010
    Genki ;_;

Well as long as we can get our Genki Sudo fix from music videos I guess we'll get by...

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Paris Hilton vs. Christine Santos as a main event would sell a lot of seats.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i can no longer stomach watching cyborg beat up women who have no business fighting her
    the last two events were painful

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited September 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Oh come on, guys get brutalized all the time by others much better than them, and we love that.

doug_grammar on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Oh come on, guys get brutalized all the time by others much better than them, and we love that.

I don't enjoy watching women fighting, and I really don't enjoy watching one brutalizing another. I don't know if that's sexist of me in some way or what, but it is what it is, and I'm reluctantly ok with it.

Wet Bandit on
    edited September 2010
    i can no longer stomach watching cyborg beat up women who have no business fighting her
    I'm willing to put aside my moral qualms and make an exception for Hilton...

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    edited September 2010

At least these events have some vague semblance of competitiveness.

Cyborg's matches? Nope.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »

At least these events have some vague semblance of competitiveness.

Cyborg's matches? Nope.

Pfft, that's only because Cyborg's Wanderlei Silva's sister. I get your point though.

However, no matter how you view it, you can see that Women's MMA certainly has been really coming into shape.

We're seeing more contenders, and we got all these tournaments with the girls. Plus, there was an all female MMA card.

doug_grammar on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    God damn, I just watched Cyborg's last fight against that blond girl on YouTube. There's at least 3 points in the first round where the fight should have been stopped.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2010
    She is really awesome, total destroyer.

815165 on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Genki Sudo dresses like Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

No wonder I love the guy.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    only sometimes, othertimes he dresses more awesomely

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!