As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console setup: Heat dissipation concerns.

Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I just recently got a 360 and a wii, and am now realizing that current-gen systems run hot, far hotter than their predecessors. Hot enough to cause me some concern with them being placed where their predecessors resided.

My setup is a TV stand with a opening wide enough for a gamecube and a xbox to sit side by side with an inch between their sides, each other, and the sides of the opening. It is tall enough for the gamecube's tray to open fully (sans GBA-Player).

I am now looking at the Wii (with Wavebird plugins) and the 360 lying on it's side in the console, after rearranging (aka pulling out the xbox original and the GC). The 360 is in it's sideways configuration, as is the wii, as it cannot stand upright with the wavebird plugs. Due to the reduced width of the 360 compared to the original xbox, and the increased width of the wii in comparison to the gamecube, again there is roughly 1 inch between the consoles and the sides of the cabinet. There is, however, enough room to put another hypothetical 360 on top of the current 360.

As an aside, you may be wondering where the PS2 is in this setup. It has been mounted to the side of the cabinet, vertically. It has endured this way for a year and a half, with no problems whatsoever. Slimlines are nicely built.

Now, I am concerned due to the heightened heat generation, and wondering if it is safe/sane to keep these two consoles in this environment. There are alternative options available, ranging from placing the wii on top of the 360 (therefore giving the side vents considerably more breathing space), to entirely removing one of the two consoles and setting it on a side cabinet (I simply wish there was greater powercord length on either end of the box).

The cabinets and tv stand are wood. I make do with what I have.

TL/DR: 360/Wii run hot, what's a reasonably sized area to place them in?

unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
Daemon_Aconis on

• Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    You might want to consider a new entertainment center setup. If you're a bachelor, places like Goodwill will often have really cheapass furniture that can be used as a TV/Systems stand. I picked up a pretty decent wood shelf monstrosity for $11 once, and I used it for quite a while. It was ugly as sin, but it worked like a charm.

360s run really, really hot, and the Wii has had quite a few units having heat issues as well. I wouldn't play around with temperature when it came to those two. An inch seems to me like it's really, really tempting fate, especially if you've got you're Wii running WiiConnect24.

Is there space beside your TV on top of the stand? The Wii is pretty small, if you can manage to fit it up there. Wireless WaveBirds FTW.

I really think your best bet is to get some bigger furniture. Find something used and cheap with plenty of ventilation, and enough room for all of your consoles. Even if you just buy a couple of those weird metal stacking shelves for $10 a piece, you'd be better off spending a couple bucks now and not having to ship your console in to MS or Nintendo.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You could take the Wavebird plug-in out when the Wii is not in use. At least then, when it's idle, and WiiConnect24 is doing it's worst, it won't be so close to the lava rock that is the 360.

I get nervous just hearing about how close those things are sitting. I do like the PS2 solution, though. Exactly how did you mount it?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I recommend getting the 360 cooling fan. I believe it runs for about $20 or less. It attaches to the back of the console.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If I were you I would keep the 360 in a much more open space. The Wii (from my experence) cools very fast and very well and can survive in such a place.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would say just turn your Wii off all the way every time you use it (red light, not just yellow). That's probably the best way to keep your Wii safe in the long run. Or turn off WiiConnect24 in the options menu.

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Make some shelves to put them on.

(Caution: HUGE spoiler)
    p_profile-327-1.jpg
    +
    Wood_planks.jpg
    =
    1986Carothers16.jpg
    -
    ChildrensHospital.jpg

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I lol'd

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    Make some shelves to put them on.

(Caution: HUGE spoiler)
    p_profile-327-1.jpg
    +
    Wood_planks.jpg
    =
    1986Carothers16.jpg
    -
    ChildrensHospital.jpg

So I understand the connection between the first 3 pictures.

What the hell is the last picture about?

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's a simpsons reference.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    It's a simpsons reference.

Have I come so far in life that I miss a simple Simpsons reference? :(

But anyway...

Try putting that 360 above your entertainment unit so that the air can get at it. I think that is much cheaper and less back breaking to getting boards and concrete blocks.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For cooling the 360 I'm just gonna quote myself from the "So my 360 died. Again."-thread (where nobody noticed my questions anyway):
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    So has anyone noticed/read if the horizontal/vertical position decreases/increases heat issues?
    (Seeing as the heat travels across more components when vertical).

Would a notepad cooler make any difference to the temperature on solders?
    Mostly wondering if the "notepad cooler" is a bad idea for the 360.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You need need NEED to keep your Wii vertical. Most cases of "Wii rot" (overheating causes the video card to gradually burn out) were caused by people keeping it horizontal. The way the console and stand are designed, you can place it close to other components without fear.

Edit: I'm a huge Simpsons fan, and I have no idea what the hell that picture is on about.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For cooling the 360 I'm just gonna quote myself from the "So my 360 died. Again."-thread (where nobody noticed my questions anyway):
    So has anyone noticed/read if the horizontal/vertical position decreases/increases heat issues?
    (Seeing as the heat travels across more components when vertical).

Would a notepad cooler make any difference to the temperature on solders?
    Mostly wondering if the "notepad cooler" is a bad idea for the 360.

The notepad cooler is meant for laptops specifically most people put them on their laps. Your legs are cushy and conform to the shape of the laptop's undercarriage blocking most of its air intakes. The notepad cooler keeps the undercarriage on a flat surface for good airflow.

The only thing that makes that better than a good stiff wooden plank across your lap is that it has some rubber padding on the bottom to keep your legs comfy and is made of aluminum so it's lightweight.

Now, you want to keep the 360 as cool as possible, but this won't offer you anything significant over just keeping it on a hard, flat, and clean surface. For example, a sealed wooden shelf would be a good idea because it's hard and flat (so it won't obstruct the airway) and takes all of 5 seconds to dust.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    do like the PS2 solution, though. Exactly how did you mount it?

To be honest? Double sided mounting tape, in a Z pattern, with an extra two stripes running parallel to the mid bar. It was a hack job, but it was an issue of trying to find a place to move it, since the new TV was too big to set the PS2 next to it (when the neighbor says "you can have this 40" viewing area TV for $50 if you just get it out of my house," you slap together whatever you can.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif