As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bigfudge wrote: »
    Just to reconfirm. If you don't receive your badge(s) in the mail for whatever reason, you can still pick them up at Will Call at the Sheraton as long as you have the printed Registration Confirmation?
    Yes, you should be able to.

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've seen conflicting information. For those of us who wrote in about our PAX passes not arriving in the mail (still not here as of today, correct address on order, ordered in early June), is it true that will-call at the Sheraton will be open until 8:00 PM Thursday night?

I've heard from one source that we will have to wait until 8:00 AM Friday morning and from another that because of the problems, they'll let us get our passes on Thursday, since we were supposed to have them already.

Clarification, please?

Aurora on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aurora wrote: »
    I've seen conflicting information. For those of us who wrote in about our PAX passes not arriving in the mail (still not here as of today, correct address on order, ordered in early June), is it true that will-call at the Sheraton will be open until 8:00 PM Thursday night?

I've heard from one source that we will have to wait until 8:00 AM Friday morning and from another that because of the problems, they'll let us get our passes on Thursday, since we were supposed to have them already.

Clarification, please?
    Will-call is open Thursday from at least noon until 8 pm. They may be open earlier or later too.

jaberwockynmt on
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • jonrosingjonrosing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    aragorn18 wrote: »
    Forbidden Island might not work well because it involves setting up a board that isn't easily moved. The PAX lines are notorious for constantly compressing, even when no one is getting in to the event.

Personally, I'm bringing Zombie Dice. Takes minutes to learn, easy to pack up and requires almost zero space.

Yah that's my only worry. Need a portable board/table to set stuff up on, but that can fold up easily for transportation.

edit: I'll also have a set of Zombie Dice with me.

jonrosing on
  • lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Messenger bag was lost/stolen on the light rail today coming from Sea-Tac. Not exactly sure what happened. Lost and found hasn't picked it up. Had my three day pass in it. Am I screwed? Can I still get into PAX somehow?

lemongrenades on
  • OjoOjo Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a map of the convention center and the surrounding area and all the theaters, Thanks

Ojo on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    where can I find a list of the thursday night and friday morning events?

RoyceSraphim on
  • DjRags604DjRags604 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    So, a bunch of friends from Vancouver are going to PAX but one had to drop out at the last minute. They offered me his ticket but said it was registered under his name. What would I need to get into PAX using his ticket? Is there a way to transfer ticket ownership?

DjRags604 on
  • KingkoaKingkoa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    for some reason i cant get other threads to load on my phone and i cant see the map and outline and im a first time pax go-er...

me, my gf and my son will be arriving downtown from the light rail around 7:45....where do i line up to get into the expo hall where the booths will be? in specific im looking for where the killzone 3 booth will be and we already have badges so no need to go to will call...so which is the best place to line up to get to the killzone 3 booth the fastest?

thanks!!! and btw which is the best stop for the light rail to get to the convention?

Kingkoa on
    edited September 2010
    Kingkoa wrote: »
    for some reason i cant get other threads to load on my phone and i cant see the map and outline and im a first time pax go-er...

me, my gf and my son will be arriving downtown from the light rail around 7:45....where do i line up to get into the expo hall where the booths will be? in specific im looking for where the killzone 3 booth will be and we already have badges so no need to go to will call...so which is the best place to line up to get to the killzone 3 booth the fastest?

thanks!!! and btw which is the best stop for the light rail to get to the convention?

map of my gibberish
    Funny blue icons indicate area where the train exits

The last light rail stop will put you in westlake station (underground between 6th and pine and 3rd and pine), right underneath the main shopping area of downtown seattle. About 3 blocks down pike and one block over from the convention center. This involves walking up a decent grade of a hill toward a glass bridge past large crowds of shoppers

I recommend
    University street stops right under benaroya hall (on 3rd avenue, either under benaroya hall or at the intersection of 3rd and university) and after a bit of confusion of where you will exit (big hint take the elevators up), you are right where you need to be for the concerts and big speechs as well as 4 straight blocks down Union street from the convention center. This is slightly off the main shopping path and straddles the line between the financial and shopping districts leaving you with lighter foot traffic. The grade is quite low and the big green glass building is quite easy to see.

edit: Is there a way for me to put pins on a map for him to see? I don't want to go back into gimp/paint.

RoyceSraphim on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DjRags604 wrote: »
    So, a bunch of friends from Vancouver are going to PAX but one had to drop out at the last minute. They offered me his ticket but said it was registered under his name. What would I need to get into PAX using his ticket? Is there a way to transfer ticket ownership?

There's no names on the badges. Does your friend have the badges?

If so, take them and you're done.

If he doesn't, grab the confirmation sheet with the barcode from him and go to will call. BUT, I believe you need photo ID to pick the badges up at will-call. Not 100% sure.

Good luck

kazuo on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They may be able to change the name on the registration. See the first post in this thread for info, and a contact address (towards the bottom).

Alternately, last year at least they'd had the badge out given a signed note and (IIRC) an ID from the original purchaser (like, I sent somebody in with my Driver's License and a note while I circled the block, because fuck parking in Seattle)...if he has something he can give you (until you get back) that could work. Obviously try the above first.

EDIT: And yes, if he has the badge you're already fine. But one of the above should work for will call.

mcdermott on
  • causaboncausabon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Westlake, last stop. Then....
    • Exit out following the "5th and Pine" signs (past Nordstrom)
    • On the street, turn left, and go about a hundred feet to the intersection of 6th and Pine
    • Turn right, cross Pine, walk down 6th for one block
    • Cross Pike, turn left (you'll see the big glass bridge of the convention center)
    • Go one more block to the entrance at 7th and Pine

Much less hill-climbing than coming all the way up from 3rd.

EDIT: like so. (The addresses are fake, but the geographic locations are just about perfect.)

causabon on
  • ThePurpleRabbitThePurpleRabbit Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Is cash necessary to fully enjoy PAX (or will a debit/credit card be acceptable)?

If cash is recommended, how much?

ThePurpleRabbit on
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure they have a credit card machine at the Merch booth. Cash is good to have though. You'll get a bunch of t-shirts and stuff for free, but there's always vendors selling stuff for cash only. Personally I have a tradition of buying a new set of dice at the Chessex booth every time I go to PAX. If you do a little sight-seeing, you may want to have some cash to buy food at a stand down at Pike Place Market, or something.

I'm pretty sure PAX is a major part of the Seattle economy now, we show up and drop a lot of money in the area. Expect for there to be things you want to buy, things you want to do that cost money, and plan accordingly. I can't really recommend a particular figure, that's up to everyone's personal budget.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is cash necessary to fully enjoy PAX (or will a debit/credit card be acceptable)?

It's my first time to PAX. Do I need anything besides a credit card? Is anything "cash only"?

edit: I guess I got my answer 2 minutes ago =)

BLaZuRE on
    PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It really depends on what you're doing. Each merchant at PAX has to deal with their own CC/Debit acceptance, and these sometimes are not available 100%. Also, some services in Seattle won't accept credit/debit. My suggestion is that you check to see where the ATMs that you can get cash with the least amount of fees are. Plan ahead so that you can GET cash if you find you need cash, and avoid paying the huge fees that convention center/hotel ATMs sometimes charge.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
    edited September 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    They may be able to change the name on the registration. See the first post in this thread for info, and a contact address (towards the bottom).

Alternately, last year at least they'd had the badge out given a signed note and (IIRC) an ID from the original purchaser (like, I sent somebody in with my Driver's License and a note while I circled the block, because fuck parking in Seattle)...if he has something he can give you (until you get back) that could work. Obviously try the above first.

EDIT: And yes, if he has the badge you're already fine. But one of the above should work for will call.

fixed

RoyceSraphim on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone know if there's any store close by that sells USB to micro usb cables around the convention center? I forgot NY phone charger...

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • MaxGeekMaxGeek Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's any store close by that sells USB to micro usb cables around the convention center? I forgot NY phone charger...

There is a radio shack on 2nd and Pike st and there is a Sprint store inside the Westlake Center. Both are less than a half mile away from where PAX is being held.

MaxGeek on
  • eStalkereStalker Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *edit: answered. previous posts state noon to 8pm....it helps when one spels SHERATON correctly

i can't find this info in this massive sea of info overload *sob*

i need to pick up a disabled pass at the sheridan will call starting tomorrow (thursday). can someone PLEASE tell me what the will call hours at the sheridan are? when I called they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about.

eStalker on
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find it easier to overspend on when I'm using cards, so I withdraw all my money for the day/weekend all at once, split it into spending and food money, and keep both piles in separate pockets. Then I always know exactly how much I have left in each, and it's a bit harder to borrow from my food money for merch.

Saxicide on
    edited September 2010
    Messenger bag was lost/stolen on the light rail today coming from Sea-Tac. Not exactly sure what happened. Lost and found hasn't picked it up. Had my three day pass in it. Am I screwed? Can I still get into PAX somehow?
    If you have or can print out (hotel business centers are good for this) the confirmation page from the ordering website, Will-Call should be able to help you out.

jaberwockynmt on
    edited September 2010
    Ojo wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a map of the convention center and the surrounding area and all the theaters, Thanks
    This is in the program book. You'll get the book at the Queue Room or Benaroya.

jaberwockynmt on
    edited September 2010
    where can I find a list of the thursday night and friday morning events?
    There are no events before 1000 Friday. The schedule of events is on www.paxsite.com.

jaberwockynmt on
  • KingkoaKingkoa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thanks for the help guys...anyone know where to enter to get to the killzone 3 booth? and i can line up at 8? is the queue room at the convention center?

Kingkoa on
  • TukimoshiTukimoshi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can you pick up your badges Friday Morning? Badge pick-up ends 8pm Thursday and I'll be getting to Seattle in the middle of the night.

Tukimoshi on
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thanks for the help guys...anyone know where to enter to get to the killzone 3 booth? and i can line up at 8? is the queue room at the convention center?
    The Exhibition Hall is where you see all the future games. That is at the main convention center, which opens its doors at 8am, which is also when people can start lining up in the queue room (though the actual convention doesn't start until 10).
    Tukimoshi wrote: »
    Can you pick up your badges Friday Morning? Badge pick-up ends 8pm Thursday and I'll be getting to Seattle in the middle of the night.
    I believe Will-Call opens at 8am on Friday in the Sheraton.

Dreamwriter on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    karmacappa wrote: »

It really depends on what you're doing. Each merchant at PAX has to deal with their own CC/Debit acceptance, and these sometimes are not available 100%. Also, some services in Seattle won't accept credit/debit. My suggestion is that you check to see where the ATMs that you can get cash with the least amount of fees are. Plan ahead so that you can GET cash if you find you need cash, and avoid paying the huge fees that convention center/hotel ATMs sometimes charge.

Historically, the ATMs at the trade center and nearby hotels get drained pretty quickly. The advice to seek cash before travel is doubly advised.

Älphämönkëy on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MOST booths I think are cash only... so I'd say get cash.

ATMs are evil and have surcharges.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited September 2010
    I believe Will-Call opens at 8am on Friday in the Sheraton.[/QUOTE]

Can I get any confirmation? That would make sense, but I don't want to arrive significantly before doors open to find out that I'm waiting for nothing.

Also: How much does stuff generally cost in the states? I know everything is significantly cheaper in the states than Canada, and I'm bringing about $450 USD for Food/Spending.

Tukimoshi on
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, I'd definitely get your cash before you travel.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How early should I ge there to queue up Friday morning? I'm wanting to bum rush a booth amd thinking about leaving portland ~5am with coffee and arriving at like 8am. Early enough to get a decent line spot assing people line up early? Earlier?

Ghandi on
    xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also: How much does stuff generally cost in the states? I know everything is significantly cheaper in the states than Canada, and I'm bringing about $450 USD for Food/Spending.

That is a hell of a lot, assuming that number does not include any hotel charges.
    Ghandi wrote: »
    How early should I ge there to queue up Friday morning? I'm wanting to bum rush a booth amd thinking about leaving portland ~5am with coffee and arriving at like 8am. Early enough to get a decent line spot assing people line up early? Earlier?

You won't be allowed to line up before 8AM.

GeeCee on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GeeCee wrote: »

That is a hell of a lot, assuming that number does not include any hotel charges.

It's not really a hell of a lot, depending on what Tukimoshi plans on buying. I've seen people spend $200+ at the PA Merch Booth in one go, and $50+ per night on drinks. If you think you're coming on a low budget and not buying much more than what you need, then yeah that is a lot.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited September 2010
    GeeCee wrote: »

Actually, I realized I only have about $435 due to me picking up some snacks. Hotel and Ferry are already separated, so that $435 is pure Food/Spending.

I don't see how that's much though, that's about a pay-cheque and a half from my part-time job. :)

Tukimoshi on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The PA Merch Booth takes credit, as do some other vendors in the expo hall and most (if not all) of the foodies in the convention center. However, it's ALWAYS good to have some cash on hand. You never know when you'll find yourself in an unexpected need for bus/cab fare, a cash-only bar or large group bill at a restaurant.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • John-311John-311 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to the Rock Band 3 Q&A panel in the Pegasus Theater in the Sheraton at 10:00am tomorrow. I'm staying in the Sheraton. Do I need to queue up in the general PAX queue or is there a separate queue just for the Pegasus Theater?

John-311 on
  • Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    John-311 wrote: »
    I'm going to the Rock Band 3 Q&A panel in the Pegasus Theater in the Sheraton at 10:00am tomorrow. I'm staying in the Sheraton. Do I need to queue up in the general PAX queue or is there a separate queue just for the Pegasus Theater?
    Does anyone know how the line for the Pegasus theatre is going to work in the mornings? Will we be able to line up in the hotel? Will there be lanyards and swag bags there? Concert wrist bands?
    You will be able to line up in the hallway outside the theatre, but not before 0900. There will not be lanyards*, swag bags, or concert wristbands at Pegasus Theatre. If you want these things, you should go to the Queue Room at 0800 and get in that line; once the wristbands have been provided to the first 1000 people, you can leave the line and go down to the Sheraton.

*There might be lanyards at the Registration Will-Call desk which is also in the Sheraton.

Answer from a few pages back.

Sgt Superman on
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  • SxySamuraiSxySamurai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At what site is the expo hall? Also, is the expo hall where most of the merch is going to be sold?

SxySamurai on
This discussion has been closed.