As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 Gadget Problem

CronusCronus Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
My gadgets no longer open in Windows 7. Clicking on the Desktop Gadgets or the Desktop Gadget Gallery does nothing.

I've done a bunch of searching, but the only causes I can find online are either turning gadgets off in Windows Features or turning off UAC. My gadgets are on in Windows Features and UAC is set to default(though I always had it off in Vista). Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can open it?

Also, twice when booting my computer and logging into Windows one of my gadgets hasn't started. It's not always the same gadget either. This is what first clued me into the problem as I tried to open the gadgets after noticing one missing.

I'd greatly appreciate any info you guys may have.

camo_sig.png
"Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
Cronus on

• Options
    GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try resetting the gadgets. In Control Panel under Appearence & Personalization click the "Restore Gadgets installed with windows" button.

If that doesn't work run the system file checker. Open a command prompt with administrator access and type sfc /scannow

Greenish on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I've had this problem for a couple of months now, but it seems to have gone away. Perhaps it's an intermittent thing?

I have run a scan with MSE and ran the system file checker last month and both came back clean. Maybe it is a problem with one of my gadgets. I did update them recently and the woot one I have isn't the most well written code ever. If it comes up again, which it probably will, I'll try disabling all third party gadgets.

I'll post back here if I find out any useful info. Thanks Greenish.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad