As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tam, you bring me great joy sometimes; now is one of those times.

Paradise on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pencil is my second favorite medium to look at and least favorite to do draw in! so much respect to you pencillers out there

UegV1.png

ive been into night skies lately, i didnt even use someone else's textures for it this time

on a cheerier note:

21nSG.jpg

mensch-o-matic on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Despite the melty face WCK, that is a big improvement, the image has some depth and weight. I like it.
    I do think you need to ease up on epic detail and focus more on the major requirements of the drawing. Also the tear on the jeans is over defined, it looks more like a bullet exit hole on a sheet of steel than torn material.

TOTP Edits

johnny-ramone-sml.jpg
    I'll just leave this here:
    44688_662156331626_38500097_36627564_867341_n.jpg

UegV1.png

ive been into night skies lately, i didnt even use someone else's textures for it this time

on a cheerier note:

21nSG.jpg

Mustang on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Iruka - I'm guessing by simplify, you mean more simple content?
    Im still working on some studies of detailed drawings of male/female anatomy in reference to NDragons posted work.

In the city today so hopefully get around to going to the art gallery to draw some statues!

When I mean simplify, I mean simply approaches and content. Sometimes you learn just as much doing a 2-3 hour study as you do doing a full work. Reducing time doesn't mean reducing your attentiveness though, it means focusing on issues at hand.

For instance, I think above your problems with anatomy, you have troubles just rendering basic shapes, like cylindrical shapes. Understanding how a cone casts shadows on a plane is just as important as understanding what muscles are in an arm. I've been doing just simple shape studies and learning tons.

Its good practice to keep attempting full compositions, but its not bad to focus on a very small problem and figure that out for 20 minutes.

Iruka on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a new found love for zig pens.

notes from class

pirates.jpg

roor.jpg

Obilex on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had to paws a second when I saw that picture Obilex.

ND I dig that brush monstrosity.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I totally dig that lion obi

Doodlin'. trying out new things with faces, I so often get stuck in a rut drawing things in awful ways.

Tezu.png

avery2.png

Ao_Andon2.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    I had to paws a second when I saw that picture Obilex.

ND I dig that brush monstrosity.

Sigh.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3XW0u.png

i dont remember if i ever posted the final of this

Projeck on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If thats the final version then you didn't

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    johnny-ramone-sml.jpg

In the same way that experienced concept illustrators can critique on the construction of swords and daggers, to ensure that there is some practicality to how things would work in real world physics, as both a guitarist and Ramones fan, I feel compelled to critique this...

While I think the perspective effect on the lead does actually work quite well - it makes no sense, since it should be plugged into the amp and not trailing away into the audience. Also it would never be taped down like that, since it would actually be rather restrictive for Johnny. The neck and headstock of the guitar are also weird looking, and there appear to be no fretts.

Grenn on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Despite the melty face WCK, that is a big improvement, the image has some depth and weight. I like it.
    I do think you need to ease up on epic detail and focus more on the major requirements of the drawing. Also the tear on the jeans is over defined, it looks more like a bullet exit hole on a sheet of steel than torn material.

johnny-ramone-sml.jpg

[

WCK, it's great to see the huge progress you're making here online.
    Your technique's really improving, but i think many drawings somehow seem overworked. Drawings don't have to dispplay uberperfect anatomy each time. I think you can compensate a lot with a certain style.. kinda hard to describe, but overworking kinda removes some of the fun from the drawing? (grasping for words here, really).
    Perhaps try to speed up your process with an egg-timer. I bet you can do a drawing that communicates the same dynamic, or even more, using a bit more suggestion in only an hour( or two.)

Not wanting to to be overly critical or anything, because i'm really admiring the amount of effort you're putting in it.

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited September 2010
    insecthorse.jpg
    triosk1.jpg

Iruka on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    iruka, I want that hanging from a tree and filled with candy on my birthday!

Obilex on
    edited September 2010
    Its mouth is lined with a toxic miasma, but I guess maybe wrapped candy would survive.

Iruka on
    edited September 2010
    Like in those old Starburst commercials? "If it's still wrapped, it's still good" or something?

Iruka, you're the best! That (non-piñata) creature is so amazing. It's like... looking at your work is like looking into the coolest parts of my imagination. It's fantastic! :mrgreen: Keep posting stuff! I bet a lot of other people feel the same way.

Paradise on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is the head inspired by those carnivorous plants? Because I saw a ton of those in Ecuador and that was what I first thought of when I looked at it.

lyrium on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2ls9y61.jpg

Tam on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's really cool Tam.
    I like the variations in lineweight on the plates/scales and on the nose. Is this the new tablet at work?

MufasaJoe on
    edited September 2010
    yessir
    can't get to sleep, so I thought I might as well start sketching on it in earnest

xp0a6g.jpg

Tam on
    edited September 2010
    Tam, I like this chicken monster.

Just watch your perspective. The placement of its different body parts (joints and such) aren't dedicated to a specific point of view or eye level. For example, the foot on the right should probably be higher on the page than the foot on the left (unless you're looking at it from ground level, or if the line that runs between the feet is perpendicular to the viewpoint and parallel to the horizon line--but I don't think you're going for that). Also, to a lesser extent, I'm not seeing that subtle foreshortening of the arms and legs that helps place the whole body in 3D space.

I know it's a sketch, but uh...
    perspective perspective perspective

Paradise on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    doodlegirl.jpg

PROX on
    edited September 2010
    that woman's skin is too big for her

Tam on
    edited September 2010
    Might as well share this here, as it's up on the blog now as well.

Something I just sent off to print for a bike themed exhibition I'm in, the first ever Artcrank London!

artcrank_small.jpg

It's being printed on a Risograph printer, which (to a print nerd like moi) is very interesting.

Grenn on
    edited September 2010
    sweet moses thats fancy.

PROX on
    edited September 2010
    Cheers dude!

I realised I had planned to take process screengrabs as I worked on it... but completely forgot and only remembered by the time I had completely finished it and found a jpg called "process1"... and no other files. :lol:

I hope the prints turn out nice.

Grenn on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Watch them proportions, Tammers (upper arms are different lengths). Also if that foot is flat on the ground (as the shadow shows), then the far foot wouldn't be placed like that.

NightDragon on
    edited September 2010
    Tam:
    Yeah i wanted her to have some rolls. Here's someone with less rolls:

doodlegirl2.jpg

edit: i think ND mistook you for me Tam. And yeah i see the forearm length difference now. thanks for the tips ND.

PROX on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, I was actually referring to Tam.

But in the latest thing you posted: the lower half, from the bottom of the ribcage down, looks good (even if the far knee looks way too pointy/small). The upper half though is just super "wonky" with proportions and anatomy. The neck is extremely long, the arms uneven and curvy, etc.

NightDragon on
    edited September 2010
    ohok. ill improve my anatomy ND. thanks. oh you were refering to that bird creature.

PROX on
    edited September 2010
    I will pay more attention today
    I have the whole day to doodle

also, Prox, it wasn't that she looked fat (obviously wouldn't be a valid crit if that's what you were going for), it looked literally like her skin was too big for her

Tam on
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna agree with ND here, Prox. What's with the wobbly arms? Maybe you should make a separate PS layer for arm bones.
    I need to learn to write more clearly.

Paradise on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    had an urge to get my draw on. I only have a pencil and paper and basic drawing skills though

doodlez.jpg

Jars on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Noface_Kodoma.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited September 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    I'm gonna agree with ND here, Prox. What's with the wobbly arms? Maybe you should make a separate PS layer for arm bones.
    I need to learn to write more clearly.

I thought it was a neat rhythm. Prob should lay in a structure before i start. Im trying to get more expressive and free form, so im doing these kinda doodles and not stressing over mistakes.

warmup110320010.jpg

PROX on
    edited September 2010
    buttsstorm.jpg

PROX on
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    just
    awesome

harryk on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    inbpzr.jpg

I love how clean and subtle your arts look. Do you tidy them up post-scanning or do they actually look that neat on paper?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited September 2010
    that's entirely digital, smof

Tam on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So quick question for people who use photoshop, if anyone is, for sketches. Is there a decent pencil-like brush to use? If I use the default pencil, it doesn't give me any pressure options with my tablet, and is just a consistent width black line. I can't find any brushes that are similar to a pencil though.

Mai-Kero on
This discussion has been closed.