As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UPDATED - Another oil rig explodes in Gulf; Coast Guard reports no spill

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fan-fucking-tastic, I'm sure the government is going to try to surpass the moratorium now and just try to shut down drilling completely.

:x

You know the moratorium only affected like 13 sites or something. Heaven forbid the government should look into safety measures and practices after two fucking oil rigs explode.

Oh I know, but I just see some idiot standing up going "See! Two rigs within 6 months! It's time to stop this offshore oil nonsense altogether!"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fan-fucking-tastic, I'm sure the government is going to try to surpass the moratorium now and just try to shut down drilling completely.

:x

You know the moratorium only affected like 13 sites or something. Heaven forbid the government should look into safety measures and practices after two fucking oil rigs explode.

Oh I know, but I just see some idiot standing up going "See! Two rigs within 6 months! It's time to stop this offshore oil nonsense altogether!"

Well we have to balance out the idiots who are standing up and going "The environmentalists did it!".

Wait that guy has a radio show.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Shutting down the oil industry is pretty much a death sentence for the working class in Mississippi.

Sheep on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A moratorium on drilling new wells is not a moratorium on the oil industry.

There are a little more than a dozen active drilling sites in the gulf. It wouldn't effect production, refinement or transportation.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Shutting down the oil industry is pretty much a death sentence for the working class in Mississippi.

Didn't know anyone in power wanted to shut down the oil industry.

And allowing the drilling platforms to keep going without proper security measures is pretty much a death sentence for the fishing industry.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I turn around to tell a co-worker about this and: "Oh man again? God is gonna be SO pissed at us. "

reddeath on
    edited September 2010
    Probably already mentioned, but the company that owns this oil rig protested the Obama administration yesterday.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    The rig was in fact active, but pulling up natural gas, not oil. From CNN:
    Mariner Energy, owner of the production platform, said in a press release that no hydrocarbon spill has been reported after an initial flyover of the incident.

"Mariner has notified and is working with regulatory authorities in response to this incident," the statement said. "The cause is not known, and an investigation will be undertaken. During the last week of August 2010, production from this facility averaged approximately 9.2 million cubic feet of natural gas per day and 1,400 barrels of oil and condensate."

The company also said no injuries have been reported.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

And Louisiana, hell my girlfriend's father works offshore, my uncle works at a chemical plant down the road that relies on the petrochemical industry and my father works for a company that does testing on petrochemicals.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God damn it.

Drake on
    edited September 2010

And Louisiana, hell my girlfriend's father works offshore, my uncle works at a chemical plant down the road that relies on the petrochemical industry and my father works for a company that does testing on petrochemicals.

Good thing neither of them work in the fishing or tourism industry.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    At least this one wasn't the result of incompetence, penny pinching, failure of regulation, and coercion of regulators right?
    Obviously a case of over-regulation.

Actually I think we had plenty of regulators and the regulations weren't so bad (they could certainly be better though)

I think the problem is the people responsible for the regulations were hired specifically because they didn't believe the government should regulate business. Obviously if you hire a Vegan to work in a slaughterhouse, they're probably going to do a shitty job

Good thing neither of them work in the fishing or tourism industry.

I'm pretty sure the fishing industry is reliant on having gasoline. Boats don't power themselves, and the fish don't travel under their own power to be processed and arrive in stores or restaurants

override367 on
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    At least this one wasn't the result of incompetence, penny pinching, failure of regulation, and coercion of regulators right?
    Obviously a case of over-regulation.

Actually I think we had plenty of regulators and the regulations weren't so bad (they could certainly be better though)

I think the problem is the people responsible for the regulations were hired specifically because they didn't believe the government should regulate business. Obviously if you hire a Vegan to work in a slaughterhouse, they're probably going to do a shitty job

Well in that case, probably too good of a job.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We have oil.
    The Coast Guard is reporting that a mile-long oil sheen is spreading from the site of today's oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the Associated Press.

The location of the rig, as seen in the graphic above, is about 200 miles west of BP's Deepwater Horizon rig. Thirteen workers were present during the explosion, but all are still alive and were spotted floating in the water wearing emergency gear called gumby suits.

A commercial helicopter first spotted the explosion, the cause of which is still being investigated early Thursday afternoon. (See dramatic photos of history's biggest oil spills)

Luckily, there's some good news: Even if the situation becomes severe, the cleanup process would be much easier on this platform than during the BP debacle. The AP reports that this well was dug in shallow water, unlike BP's rig, and this makes cleaning oil off the ocean floor much simpler.

During an initial flyover of the area, officials did not spot any oil spilling, though this new sheen may change reports.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    We have oil.
    The Coast Guard is reporting that a mile-long oil sheen is spreading from the site of today's oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the Associated Press.

The location of the rig, as seen in the graphic above, is about 200 miles west of BP's Deepwater Horizon rig. Thirteen workers were present during the explosion, but all are still alive and were spotted floating in the water wearing emergency gear called gumby suits.

A commercial helicopter first spotted the explosion, the cause of which is still being investigated early Thursday afternoon. (See dramatic photos of history's biggest oil spills)

Luckily, there's some good news: Even if the situation becomes severe, the cleanup process would be much easier on this platform than during the BP debacle. The AP reports that this well was dug in shallow water, unlike BP's rig, and this makes cleaning oil off the ocean floor much simpler.

During an initial flyover of the area, officials did not spot any oil spilling, though this new sheen may change reports.
    89d0ad01f58b094f0def42e802b4abd7_fuck_this_shit-1618.jpg

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Guys guys, now stop for a second.

We don't need regulation.

There's like a one in a million chance for this to occur. Like it's statistically impossible. The fact that it's happened twice in as many months is meaningless, we shouldn't reform regulations over this for the same reason we shouldn't give the USDA or FDA their teeth back just because a few million people got salmonella and 80% of our chicken is contaminated.

override367 on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I... is 80% a real stat there, override?

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited September 2010

Pure hyperbole, it's only 66% (although some brands like tyson are between 80 and 90%)

So nothing to worry about

override367 on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There's like a one in a million chance for this to occur. Like it's statistically impossible. The fact that it's happened twice in as many months is meaningless, we shouldn't reform regulations over this for the same reason we shouldn't give the USDA or FDA their teeth back just because a few million people got salmonella and 80% of our chicken is contaminated.

In other words, you can't create new regulations just because of a few bad eggs.

Tomanta on
    edited September 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

In other words, you can't create new regulations just because of a few bad eggs.

Even if that's exactly what regulation is there to fucking do.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010

Kind of like how laws against rape and murder are pointless, because they only effect a small percentage of the population.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited September 2010
    Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg

> 13

Those are platforms. Platforms can have multiple wells.

A moratorium on all offshore drilling would affect those in US waters.

Sheep on
    edited September 2010

Pure hyperbole, it's only 66% (although some brands like tyson are between 80 and 90%)

Just to be safe, I'm going to go cry over in that corner there. So if you need me, that's where I'll be.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

No one else did, but I appreciate this joke.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited September 2010

Everyone knows government regulation of industry is foul.

reddeath on
    edited September 2010

> 13

It wasn't a blanket ban, no matter what Fox told you.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010

> 13

That's not very fair. Sheep's not like that, Sammich.

If you think he's misunderstood what the moratorium would entail, it'd be nicer to just attempt to point him in the right direction.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited September 2010
    Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg

> 13

The moratorium is on drilling new wells.

No one in power wants to cut off our oil supply.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010

> 13

That's not very fair. Sheep's not like that, Sammich.

If you think he's misunderstood what the moratorium would entail, it'd be nicer to just attempt to point him in the right direction.

Fair enough, my mistake.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010

I know. It was only for deep water drilling and platforms.

But, you know, those platforms employ people.

Also, lol at the not even remotely transparent jab at me with the FOX thing.

Sheep on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Just to be safe, I'm going to go cry over in that corner there. So if you need me, that's where I'll be.

Just.....uhhh...don't eat raw chicken.

It isn't too hard.

Burtletoy on
    edited September 2010

I know. It was only for deep water drilling and platforms.

But, you know, those platforms employ people.

Also, lol at the not even remotely transparent jab at me with the FOX thing.

It was for new wells only.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Just.....uhhh...don't eat raw chicken.

It isn't too hard.
    Maybe for YOU. With your fancy stoves and ovens and fire and stuff.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Glad someone did :). Couldn't figure out how to work 'half a billion' into it without making it obvious.

Tomanta on
    edited September 2010

It not only affected new wells, but wells that were in the process of completion.

Sheep on
    edited September 2010

It not only affected new wells, but wells that were in the process of completion.

Which are new wells.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010

Which are new wells.

And cut 20,000 jobs.

Sheep on
    edited September 2010
    It sucks that some people lost jobs and what have you because of the moratorium, but its nothing compared to the damage that was done because of lax regulation and poor safety standards.

If you think the ban did damage to your families finances, just be glad you're not a hotel owner or fisherman in Louisiana right now.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010

Which are new wells.

And cut 20,000 jobs.
    Which need to be weighed vs losses in the fishing and tourism industries, and public health issues.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010

Glad someone did :). Couldn't figure out how to work 'half a billion' into it without making it obvious.

It was perfect and don't let anyone tell you different.

reddeath on