As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mariners Game

afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
There is a Mariners v. Indians game Thursday night that a buddy and I will be attending. Wondering if anyone else was planning on going, so we can get together and start the PAX friendship earlier?

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
afeil117 on

• Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Don't know if many people will be going to that game TBH, seeing as how our Mariners are in last place and all.

If you want to start up the PAX friendship early, might I suggest the Magical Mystery Tour? :winky:
    </shamelessplug>

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    hah, i was at the indians game last night, and at one point they put up a contest on the big screen to win airfare and tickets to one of the mariners-indians games. i wondered at the time if it was during PAX by chance, but then got distracted by something else, probably a food vendor.

wish now I would have entered, even if I didn't show up for the game, some airfare would have been nice!

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Oh, that's what all that traffic was downtown last night.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    hah, yeah. waaay more yankees fans in attendance than indians fans. like, not even close.

ok, i'll not derail the thread further.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Went to the Seahawks last year on the Thurs before PAX in a group of 4.

Going to the Mariners game this year. Will be in a group of 5. Most likely will be pre-funking at the Pyramid Ale-House (right across the street to the West). Same as last year.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played Steel Drums at the concession stands one time (it's a long story involving my Middle School days). The garlic fries were good and I think it was one of the few times the Mariners actually won.

The view is impressive so I wish I could go up on thursday.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    tiggerboytiggerboy Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I will be at friday nights game.

tiggerboy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    I played Steel Drums at the concession stands one time (it's a long story involving my Middle School days). The garlic fries were good and I think it was one of the few times the Mariners actually won.

I actually didn't like the garlic fries that much. By just throwing a huge mound of minced garlic on top the fries ended up soggy and overpowered...

The Ivars clam chowder in the bread bowl is always good :)

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Curse-Ten wrote: »

I actually didn't like the garlic fries that much. By just throwing a huge mound of minced garlic on top the fries ended up soggy and overpowered...

The Ivars clam chowder in the bread bowl is always good :)

It might have been the fact that I was young at the time and food like that attracts kids like flies. I like garlic a lot anyways.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    SurlyDuffSurlyDuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Advice for those who have never been to an M's game... The garlic fries will make the entire section around you your enemy, and your luggage smell like garlic for the entire trip. Forewarning.

Mariners games are a blast, especially when the weather is nice. Check out Lookout Landing around sunset. The train noise isn't "annoying," its "endearing." Bring your Nintendo DS--there's stations set up around the stadium where you can download a program that lets you order food, look up player stats, watch a live TV feed, etc. The ichiroll is OK if you like sushi, otherwise get the clam chowder. Beer is seriously expensive. $8.00 or so for a decent draft. Prefunking is a must, and you can bring in your own food but no beverages. Lots of vendors outside the stadium sell treats identical to the ones you can get inside for less cash.

The cheapest and perhaps best souvenier is a scorecard. They're $1 and can be purchased at the magazine seller kiosks inside the stadium. Keeping score keeps your attention somewhat on the game and makes you look like a hardcore baseball junkie. Even if you just doodle on it.

"The wave" is unfortunately still in style. Just roll with it.

SurlyDuff on
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you do decide to go, make an awesome sign and you might have a chance at getting some rally fries from Mike Blowers (M's TV commentator). If you don't know what rally fries are, I turn you here :arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_fries

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    mindSetmindSet Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I'll be attending the Mariners game on Thursday... and avoiding the garlic fries.

mindSet on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Going to the Mariners game this year. Will be in a group of 5. Most likely will be pre-funking at the Pyramid Ale-House (right across the street to the West). Same as last year.

Sir, that sounds like an excellent plan... we might just have to do the same.

Really wish at least one of the teams was a contender, but I have never seen a game as Safeco, so it is totally worth.

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    afeil117 wrote: »

Sir, that sounds like an excellent plan... we might just have to do the same.

Really wish at least one of the teams was a contender, but I have never seen a game as Safeco, so it is totally worth.

If you want to get INSIDE the Ale-House, show up early, and I mean really really early. I am fine with outside though. Outside they will have tables set up in a large beer garden, they have a large truck trailer with beer taps literally sticking out the side with 4+ lines for getting beer and then a little shack in the middle that does simple foods (fries, burgers, so on).

You will still be paying $5 per beer... But it is still a ton better then $8 per beer inside Safeco.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm interested in going. Can we form a PAX group? that would be swell.

Can anyone who knows the ballpark recommend the best section(s) to sit in?

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    kazuo wrote: »

Pax group meetup before hand would be easy. Could have it at the Pyramid Alehouse beer garden across the street.

As for seats. The best seats is going to depend on what you prefer to see and how much you want to pay. Most people would probably say right behind the dugouts are the best spots, but good luck finding seats.

The close to the front rows in both left and right field have always been great spots for me in the past in many different ballparks.

For this game, I just looked for a cheap group of 5 seats and ended up about 1/3 of the way up in 146 down the left field foul line.

But in all honesty. If you are going with a group of friends, are ready to enjoy some over priced beer and enjoy the atmosphere, then there are no bad seats... Just a really bad baseball team :wink:

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    SurlyDuffSurlyDuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kazuo wrote: »

My favorite "bad" seats are the 2nd deck in left field. If you get in the front couple of rows, you're right over the field, and have a shot at a homerun ball... most likely from the other team. As for ones to avoid, I really don't like the centerfield bleachers. You have to turn around to see the scoreboard, and you're much too far away from homeplate for my taste.

If you get seats in and around the homeplate area or down the first or third baselines, you will be extremely happy. The last game I went to I got seats directly behind diamond club, literally 20 feet from the home batter's circle. You're almost as close as the pitcher to home plate. But realistically, anything in the lower bowl, as long as you're not in the last row, you will have a great view.

SurlyDuff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Another bump with some other useful information regarding what you can bring into Safeco:

Containers & Coolers
    Hard-sided coolers are not permitted into the ballpark. Guests may bring in bags that do not exceed 16"x16"x8" which must be stored under the seat. Security personnel are required to open all bags at the gates for visual inspection before entry.

Food
    Food brought into the ballpark must be wrapped, bagged or inside a container. Items such as apples and oranges must be quartered. Personal food items cannot be carried into any of the restaurants, lounges or suites.

Bottles, Cans & Outside Beverages
    No bottles, cans or outside beverages (including water/ice) may be brought into Safeco Field. Exceptions are made for guests with medical needs, baby bottles and unopened, soft-sided, single-serve containers (such as small milk cartons, juice boxes, etc.). Guests may bring in empty plastic sports bottles and fill them at any of the 66 drinking fountains located throughout the ballpark.

So yes, you can bring a bag. No you can't bring drinks, but yes you can bring in some food (peanuts would be smart).

Myself and 4 others will indeed be at the Pyramid Alehouse beer garden before the game. If looking to join a group for drinking, keep an eye out for 5 people in their mid 20s, 2 larger men, 2 average men, and a 5ft nothing woman. Probably could assume that there will be a nerd shirt or two between us.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The meetup sounds great, I will be with another larger gentleman, and odds are we will have nerd shirts as well. See ya there.

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    spiffmanaspiffmana Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    afeil117 wrote: »
    The meetup sounds great, I will be with another larger gentleman, and odds are we will have nerd shirts as well. See ya there.

I'm that friend he mentions. I'll probably be in a Woot shirt (as in, shirt.woot.com) of some form or another, if this helps.

spiffmana on
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Watching the game on tv, wow branyan hit a monster homerun. was as big as it looked on tv?

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
This discussion has been closed.