As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Thread for Older Fighting Games -- Here Comes An Old Challenger!

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    C is Alpha C-ism, A is Alpha V-ism, P is SF3.

S is kof97/98 Extra mode, which is based on the older kofs, N is kof97/98 Advance mode, K is a combination of MOTW and SamSho.

If you're having trouble with Guile's super maybe you're not charging long enough?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, A-groove (SFA3's V-ism) also has the added bonus of being able to do your level 1 super at the cost of half your super bar.

I forget if you can actually chain level 2 supers and level 1 supers int C-groove.

N-groove lets you store three super stocks, and you can use 1 stock to power yourself up for a limited time (Forgot how... HP+HK?). You can do the Level 3 supers during this period, which uses another stock; after that, you completely lose your power up status.

Wearingglasses on
    edited August 2010
    Well I've got one that's been nibbling away at the back of my mind for a while now.

How is the spiffy new Crush mechanic in Tekken any different from natural TC or TJ properties that have been in every other 3d fighter since the dawn of man?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's TC and TJ?

Wearingglasses on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, bah! I should have realized there were SF Alpha influences in the game, especially with Sakura and Dan in it. Though I pretty much did miss out on the Alpha series, which would explain my lack of knowledge in how those grooves work. Where's that NBC The More You Know image when you need it? :D

As for trying to charge longer with Guile's super, I didn't even realize that super was also a charge. I thought I could go straight into a 1-3-1-9 motion, but it's a (1+charge)-3-1-9. But at the same time, I'm still effectively doing a (4+charge)-6-4 motion which is what the other super is. That is, the motion of the two supers is the same horizontally. Unless the only way to differentiate the two supers is the 6+K and the 9+K at the end of it, I have no idea how I'm going to make sure I can pull off the one I would want to pull off at any given moment on the N64 pad. As of right now, I just end up doing a forward jumping kick, but I'll have to get back into Training Mode to try this out some more and see what happens.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    However, the thing about "instantly", is that it can last THE ENTIRE MATCH!

Just adds to the suspense.

Edit@Wearingglasses: Asura blade is rad but alot of the characters play the same since everyone shares the same basic combos and stuff. It's your typical abc chain system but with some crazy bounce shit going on. Also the original and the sequel are different enough that one really isn't superior to the other, at least in my opinion.

Jubeh on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're having some trouble winding up jumping for the up-forward+kick part, you might try making use of the Negative Edge. I found out about this Capcom fighter feature and will always remember it because of the cool name. Basically, if you push K and hold it, it will kick...and then if you're doing a special move motion and let go of K, it will do the special move.

So you could try doing a crouching kick, holding the button and pushing up right as you let go...I remember this helping with a few combos.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited August 2010
    @Jubeh: I remember fighting a big robot thing and a jelly thing (same relative bigness as Sentinel compared to normal capcom characters, maybe a bit bigger) . Are those guys playable?

Wearingglasses on
    edited August 2010
    No I don't think so. If I recall they were like minibosses or something. It's been years since I've played those games.

Jubeh on
    edited August 2010
    What's TC and TJ?

Tech crouch and tech jump.

Many moves in 3d fighters have jumping or crouching properties, sometimes they even have both. A move that TCs will go under highs and throws just like a regular crouch, a move that TJs will go over lows and throws just like a regular jump. This is provided this happens during the crouching or jumping frames, of course.

It seems that the crush mechanic in Tekken is basically the same thing. Some moves beat highs, some beat lows, and they have TJ or TC animations. Unless crush is more like a sabaki or something.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Huh. I honestly thought they had those before.

Wearingglasses on
    edited August 2010
    I'd thought so, too, since there were many jumping and crouching moves in the game. But then they made a big deal about the crush mechanic, so now I don't know what to think.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the info anyway, dude.

Wearingglasses on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    However, the thing about "instantly", is that it can last THE ENTIRE MATCH!

That's part of the fun!

Besides, those combos do not happen all the time. With two good people, not insanely good, it's still fun and a blast, and you can get away with some BS, but it's not that bad.

nstf on
    edited August 2010
    In all honesty yeah HnK would be better without the hour long infinites and dribble combos. The best parts of the game were comboable inst-kills that kept you from playing like a knucklehead and just all the cool references to the comic. I know the game will never get a follow up but it could really use one. There are so many more character they could add.

I mean the game has heart sama in it but not juza the cloud. What the h.

Jubeh on
    edited August 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    If you're having some trouble winding up jumping for the up-forward+kick part, you might try making use of the Negative Edge. I found out about this Capcom fighter feature and will always remember it because of the cool name. Basically, if you push K and hold it, it will kick...and then if you're doing a special move motion and let go of K, it will do the special move.

So you could try doing a crouching kick, holding the button and pushing up right as you let go...I remember this helping with a few combos.

This sounds awesome. I just tried it in my efforts in getting Guile's super with his flash kick and.....it didn't work. :( But I'll see if it works with other characters to see if it does work at all in CvS2.

Anyway, I've been trying some more as I said I would, and here's how the input display reads as it shows on my TV (obviously in arrows though).

[Off screen: Starting at 1 and charging] 3-6-3-2-1-2-6-9K = gives me the 4-6-4-(6+HK) super.

My best guess based on this is that in order to get the flash kick super, I cannot hit 6. Wonderful. :x That just isn't happening unless I have a super stiff pad, which my N64 pads aren't.

Speaking of, I'd like to take a Tatsunoko vs. Capcom stick and dual mod it with an N64 controller PCB. If anyone has any dual-modding experience with their own Mad Catz sticks or otherwise, I could definitely use some help.

Edit: Negative edge works with Ryu! :o

Edit 2: I should mention that I tried with Ryu using only normal hadokens and hurricane kicks. I never tried a super.

Edit 3: Shinku Hadoken using Negative Edge works! Hot damn! Also, Guile doing a Sonic Boom with Negative also works as does his Sonic Hurricane super. Clearly my problem is in the pad motion in getting to use the super I'm wanting, but I just wish I could figure out what the problem really is.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    See! I totally didn't make that up! It's useful for a lot of things like your standard Fierce, Fierce, Fireball combo. Probably happens a lot and it's not even noticed.

I've also had problems with Guile's UP super. If your pad is a bit floaty like that, yeah, you really need to make sure you keep the control smashed DOWN instead of accidentally hitting forward. Or hitting up too soon. Probably much easier with an arcade stick, I know it was annoying on my GC controller before I stumbled across two sticks for sale.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Old fighting games are awesome, we play them a lot at our house. I might have to host a dedicated night towards fighters and stream our matches. The Sega Saturn alone could make for a good stream with its selection, there was a nice special of Saturn's fighting games done by Retrocore:

http://shoryuken.com/content/retrocore-special-episode-sega-saturn-fighting-games-1418/

Although I warn you, watching that video might induce you to pick up a Saturn. But most fans of older fighting games should have one already. :mrgreen:

I also love the Dreamcast and PS2, so many great games. Hokuto no Ken, Power Stone, Super DBZ, Street Fighter: Alpha Anthology, Psychic Force 2012, too many to list.

Even NES had a few interesting attempts at fighters, with stuff like Joy Mech Fight, Kakutou Densetsu (more of a 4 player brawl though), and TMNT: Tournament Fighters (although that game is way more excellent on SNES). There's also Kart Fighter, I guess. :lol:

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited August 2010
    So I was playing some Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) yesterday and I discovered that negative edge trick is in that game too. How did I never ever hear about that until I made this thread? You'd think something like that would be in a game magazine or would have a ton of word of mouth.

I'm going to be trying that out in any/every fighter I try now. :P

And for fun, here's some Guile combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbQyJQTxsU&feature=related

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I just played some 3rd Strike at a friend's place after a SSF4 tourney and HOLY SHIT WHY IS IT SO FUN

Kazaka on
    edited September 2010
    Welp, in my work-addled state I nearly missed the great news!

Soulcalibur 5 is all but officially confirmed.

So now I am happy with fighting games again. If Final Showdown gets a console release then the world will be in balance and all will be complete.

Page- on
    stream
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Still the best 3d fighting game ever made:

moero-17.jpg

moero-22.jpg

(Rival Schools: Project Justice)

Also, OP should at least mention the existence of GGPO. It's there and lets you play old fighting games with people. Can't go into details on it, unfortunately.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Rival Schools was a fine game, but it barely seems to qualify as a 3d fighter.

Page- on
    stream
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You all should love this stuff.

RETRO CORE SUMMER SPECIAL 2010 - Sega Saturn Fighting Special
    via http://www.segagagadomain.com/RetroCorepage-main.htm

Featured in this new show is EVERY Sega Saturn fighting game that's not based upon a sport. So that means no stupid wrestling or boxing games. Here we go with the listing of the 65 featured games.
    2D WORLD

Advanced VG
    Astral Super Stars
    Asuka 120% Burning Feast Limited
    Battle Monsters
    Cyberbots
    Dragonball Z Shinbutohden
    Dragonball Z Idainaru Dragonball Densetsu
    Fighters History Dynamite
    Galaxy Fight
    Garou Densetsu 3 Road to the Final Victory
    Golden Axe the Duel
    Groove On Fight
    Marvel Super Heroes
    Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Pocket Fighter
    Pretty Fighter X
    Primal Rage
    Rabbit
    Real Bout
    Real Bout Special
    Rise of the Robots 2
    Sailormoon SuperS Various Emotion
    Samurai Spirits 3 Zankuro Musouken
    Samurai Spirits 4 Amakusa Kourin
    Shinouken (Ragnagard)
    Sokko Seitokai Sonic Council
    Street Fighter 2 collection (Capcom Generations)
    Street Fighter Collection (Super Street Fighter & Super Street Fighter X)
    Street Fighter the Movie
    Street Fighter Real Battle on Film
    Street Fighter Zero
    Street Fighter Zero 2
    Street Fighter Zero 2 DASH
    Street Fighter Zero 3
    Suiko Enbu - Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty
    Suiko Enbu - Fuuun Saiki
    The King of Fighters '95
    The King of Fighters '96
    The King of Fighters '97
    Ultraman: Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu
    Vampire Hunter
    Vampire Savior
    Waku Waku 7
    World Heroes Perfect
    X-Men Children of the Atom
    X-Men Vs Street Fighter

3D WORLD

Critercom
    Dead or Alive
    D-Xhird
    Elan Doree
    Fighters Megamix
    Final Fight Revenge
    FIST
    Goiken Muyou Anarchy in the NIPPON
    Last Bronx
    Ninku
    Savaki
    Tohshinden S
    Tohshinden URA
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Fighter Remix
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtua Fighter Kids
    Zero Divide

Lot of interesting gems there, some I've never seen before. (The Sailor Moon one is horrible, I can vouch for that.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fucking Rival Schools man

That shit was A1

Kazaka on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They are missing the later MK games on the Saturn, and Fighting Vipers, and maybe Night Warriors

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited September 2010
    Asuka and Astral look surprisingly fun.

And that Battle Bots game has Jin/Blodia, who later appeared in MvC1.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    They are missing the later MK games on the Saturn, and Fighting Vipers, and maybe Night Warriors
    It's because he shows those that are available for the Japanese Saturn. The only MK released for the JP Saturn is MK2

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Asuka and Astral look surprisingly fun.

And that Battle Bots game has Jin/Blodia, who later appeared in MvC1.

Cyberbots is actually a sequel to a 3 person brawler, called Armored Warriors. Cyberbots and Armored Warriors are both pretty fun, and one of few games where you can have 'mechs punch each other out

elliotw2 on
    edited September 2010
    That reviewer isn't too fond of the States and our 'shite' fighting games. :lol: I watched 2/5s of it. The first part is definitely the best so far, lots of unknown stuff. Part 2 is common stuff; the Alphas and lots of Capcom.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Link is broken.

Page- on
    stream
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    I kinda want an Action Replay for my Saturn to play all the SNK games, but my playing of SamSho 4 showed off really really bad voice samples.

elliotw2 on
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Also, OP should at least mention the existence of GGPO. It's there and lets you play old fighting games with people. Can't go into details on it, unfortunately.

If you know why you can't go into details, then you know why I didn't mention it. Besides, I don't know enough about it to be able to talk about it anyways. If there is someone who does, and can stay within the rules in the description, I could always add that to the OP.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited September 2010
    The Street Fighter thread was doing it fine before, so we should be able to arrange a get together, but not give out the data files or whatever

elliotw2 on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you can at very least say 'hey, we're playing this game on GGPO tonight, show up if you're interested'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    What has the potential to be the last community run Soulcalibur 4 major in North America takes place this weekend outside of Boston. Full Speed Ariel Kicks, named after an insidious community meme, will see most of the big names from Canada and the US meeting up for a weekend of Calibur goodness.

There will be an Ironman SC4 tourney as the main event. This format takes a lot longer, but given the nature of the tourney it is ideal.

There are also a number of side tourneys and events. There will be a Soulcalibur 2 tourney, a Soulcaibur 3 tourney, a Soulcalibur 4 Low Tiers tourney, and even a Soulcalibur 4 Rock-only challenge tourney. There is also a winner-takes-all Soulcalibur 4 Just Impact derby where players have to successfully JI a series of unblockables (1 frame window).

There will be a stream, and tons of videos besides. I just bought a second memory card for my camera because I plan on filming everything and everyone. There have been so many money match challenges and after hours ft#s that it's hard to keep track of. I'll get stream details up when I get them, which will probably be at the event.

Anyone who can make the trip out to Framingham, MA on the 11th and 12th is welcome to attend, and anyone else can watch the stream if they care to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueUjVlRYHLs

Page- on
    stream
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    So I was playing some Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) yesterday and I discovered that negative edge trick is in that game too. How did I never ever hear about that until I made this thread? You'd think something like that would be in a game magazine or would have a ton of word of mouth.

I'm going to be trying that out in any/every fighter I try now. :P

And for fun, here's some Guile combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbQyJQTxsU&feature=related

Oh wow, that video sure brings me back. I remember how one of my friends thought he was the shit because he could do standing close fierce into flashkick, so I made it my mission to perfect the 4 fierce combo (jumping fierce, close fierce, fierce boom, towards + fierce backfist) and land it on him in an actual match. When I finally pulled it off he was so pissed he didn't speak to me for a week.

There is actually an arcade here in Virginia Beach that has an old SF2 Hyper Fighting cabinet that I occasionally visit, no one else ever plays it though :(.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited September 2010
    Just about ready to leave for the tourney.

The stream will probably be here, with live chat will be here. Two days of fun and sun and Calibur in Boston!

Page- on
    stream
    edited September 2010
    Sounds cool, Page. Definitely curious about SC2 stuff, since that's the only one I played.

How about I post the video that made me want to get the game. Quite a few sick ring-outs and comebacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kQApLu0wk

And while I'm here, there was something else I wanted to ask about Capcom vs. SNK 2.

I understand the ratio system on a basic level, in that the higher your number, the more powerful the character. I just want to know a little more about it.

For simplicity's sake, take a mirror fight, both R1. Compare with the same mirror fight, both R2. Would the characters be giving/taking the same damage either way? Likewise, would an R3 vs. R1 be the same as an R4 vs. R2?

When choosing which match style to play in Vs. Mode (Ratio, 3v3, Single), if you were to choose 3v3, it obviously ignores the ratio system, but it naturally has its own standard for damage. How does 3v3 compare with the ratio system in terms of damage? I want to think it defaults at ratio 2, since that's what training mode does, but I don't know for sure.

Finally, here's a very recent CvS2 video, from a "Salty Suite" in London. I LOVE the "Salty Bait" in this. You'll know it when you see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaUZ61W4E2s

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS: