As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do all IPS panels always suffer from image persistence?

DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
I have a dual screen setup - a Benq (IPS panel) and a Samsung - TN display.

I use the BenQ as second screen and to work with Photoshop.

Beginning with last year the NEC screen began to display siluettes of pictures/elements which were displayed for around or longer than one hour - which is very distracting. Image persistance is a problem where the LCD crystals aren't able to use the full operation range and don't turn completely. According to the internets, it seems that IPS panels are prone to this problem.

Things I tried to fix the problem:
Removed the Subwoover below the table (maybe this would effect the screen somehow)
Rapid change of colors with a custom slide show for 8 hours a day
White picture displayed for 3 days
Turned screen off for 14 day

There are still traces of various UI elements on the sceen.

-- Replacement --

I intent to replace both screens with 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410. The Dells use a IPS panel as well. Before I blow my money - does anybody know if these screens exhibit the same problem?

If you have suggestions for other screen models - I am open for this too. My requirements are lots of digital inputs (3x digital) and 1x D-Sub and last one panel with IPS or compareable technology. The Dell Ultrasharp seem to offer this at a decent price point.

Dratatoo on

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Which NEC monitor do you have? I know my 20wmgx2 has had some issues with persistence near the top, but it was compounded by bad power supply placement in the monitor causing the top to get really damn hot at times.

Haven't had problems with any other areas of the screen though, and given I've played mmo's on it for hours at a time, I would've noticed any retention from static UI elements a long time ago.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, I mean I have a BenQ - (Benq 241W). It exhibits the same problems. It gets hot after leaving it running for 2h and mostly the upper left corner has the problem.

Dratatoo on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Neither of my Dells (I have the U2410 and a 2209WA) exhibit any persistence. There's nothing about IPS I'm aware of that would predispose it to any problems like that.

I do highly recommend the Dell Ultrasharp line, they're fantastic monitors.

Fats on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I finally got my U2410. It seems that it has with standard calibration a very noticeable green tint (already checked the cables etc.). After checking around the internets I noticed that there were a batch with inproper configured standard calibration. Switched it to Adobe RGB and now it looks almost perfect.

BTW if you have one of the "problematic batch" - the game mode (which reduces input lag) is tinted green too. Fix: You can switch game mode, confirm - switch to adobe RGB mode but don't confirm - wait till the select menu disappears and the colors will be perfect.

Dratatoo on