As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pet Peeves about Gaming Culture

191011121315»

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not when you're using it to knitpick a very narrow faction of that culture.

So like in genral? Sure. When you're complaining about overwight slobs who play WoW in their parents basement 18 hours a day? Not so much.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maverikk wrote: »
    You know, when I think "life-style", I'm thinking of utterly committing your life and thought to a certain subject to the extent that it defines and drives your life. Examples:

-Professional Gamers
    -Game Testers
    -Programmers

It's kind of a personal opinion, but unless you're either of these, I don't think you deserve to knowingly talk about a gaming "life-style". I'm firmly under the impression that if you have a job at Wal-Mart, and play games, that the gaming is a hobby, and it's a piece of a whole separate life-style that could be described as generic. Maybe a middle-class life-style? I don't know, but I'm agitated by the liberal use of "gaming life-style".

I'm a game tester. I don't have a gaming lifestyle. Work does not define leisure or culture.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    I think "gaming" culture is just way too broad a term. Like mythago said, there can be multiple types, all with individual cultures about them. Also through the mainstream success of video gaming and to a degree table top gaming, it has become so wide spread that there is no specific type of person involved in those things.

It's about a useful term as using "music culture" to lump death metal and opera together.

So Wagner?

I'm going to agree with the folks that have said soemthing along the lines of "gamer marketing". It's very similar to the "Xtreme!!!" marketing that appears to have finally calmed down a bit recently. I don't see very many adds specific to other cultures that are so obnoxious or condescending. I'm sure there are and someone will be quick to point one out to me, but the percentage of obnoxious "gamer" advertisements seem to be more prevelant.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »
    I think "gaming" culture is just way too broad a term. Like mythago said, there can be multiple types, all with individual cultures about them. Also through the mainstream success of video gaming and to a degree table top gaming, it has become so wide spread that there is no specific type of person involved in those things.

It's about a useful term as using "music culture" to lump death metal and opera together.

That sounds like a pretty good purpose to me.

Anyway, I tend to think of "gamer" as the gaming equivalent of "literati" and "movie buff."

but uh

those are things with their own distinct subcultures

so are you saying that there actually is a distinct "gamer" subculture after all?

(i think that there is, though of course not all people who play video games are necessarily members)

i mean: IIRC PAX starts tomorrow

tens of thousands of people from around the nation are going to show up, put on costumes and referential tees and embarrassing utilikilts, maybe shower, and play and talk and listen and watch video games for three days. they're gonna meet up and eat together and they're gonna share hotel rooms and in-jokes and snack food and fall asleep together in beanbags

that's a subculture, and it transcends clumsy mountain dew marketing

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Irond, do you even play video games? I mean, that would be pretty childish, I think. And think about how much time you spend on a forum dedicated to a cartoon. Society would think that was pretty damn weird.

it is!

they do!

i mostly keep it kind of on the DL though.

Self-hating gamers represent!

8-)

I kid, I kid.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will: I went to a Concrete convention for three days. We talked about construction and concrete and tools. Do you think there is a Concrete sub-culture? http://www.worldofconcrete.com/

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck, I missed the ConCron 2010!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Fuck, I missed the ConCron 2010!

Bahahahahahahahahaha holy shit

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    You know, when I think "life-style", I'm thinking of utterly committing your life and thought to a certain subject to the extent that it defines and drives your life. Examples:

-Professional Gamers
    -Game Testers
    -Programmers

It's kind of a personal opinion, but unless you're either of these, I don't think you deserve to knowingly talk about a gaming "life-style". I'm firmly under the impression that if you have a job at Wal-Mart, and play games, that the gaming is a hobby, and it's a piece of a whole separate life-style that could be described as generic. Maybe a middle-class life-style? I don't know, but I'm agitated by the liberal use of "gaming life-style".

I'm a game tester. I don't have a gaming lifestyle. Work does not define leisure or culture.

Life-style is an all-encompassing term via the likes of Merriam-Webster and media like it.

On top of that, my opinionated interpretation of the term colors you as a likely candidate.

You have a gaming life-style whether you like it or not.

Maverikk on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    agentk13 wrote: »

That sounds like a pretty good purpose to me.

Anyway, I tend to think of "gamer" as the gaming equivalent of "literati" and "movie buff."

but uh

those are things with their own distinct subcultures

so are you saying that there actually is a distinct "gamer" subculture after all?

(i think that there is, though of course not all people who play video games are necessarily members)

i mean: IIRC PAX starts tomorrow

tens of thousands of people from around the nation are going to show up, put on costumes and referential tees and embarrassing utilikilts, maybe shower, and play and talk and listen and watch video games for three days. they're gonna meet up and eat together and they're gonna share hotel rooms and in-jokes and snack food and fall asleep together in beanbags

that's a subculture, and it transcends clumsy mountain dew marketing

Yeah, I think there are subcultures. People playing CATZ! and HORSEZ! are generally a different type than hardcore RTS gamers, which are a different type than RPG'ers. Similar to people listening to different genres and subgenres of music, or watching different genres and subgenre's of movies. That does not mean two genre's are mutually exclusive, but you can reasonably tell a lot about someone by what specific games they play, not by the fact they play games. Same with movies. Saying "I like movies!" gives you very, very little analysis of my character, but you could make some reasonable assumptions which could be right or wrong if I said "my favorite types of movies are horror and sci-fi, mostly cerebral things like Videodrome and They Live". Still, you wouldn't be able to tell what I wear, what job I have, who I hang out with, how I have my hair, but you could make some assumptions about personality and other preferences.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    but the people within the culture generally go to the same conventions and things that define the culture

good luck finding a raver at Wacken or something. Sure there will be a few, but there is a very small amount of overlap there.

L|ama on
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The cynicism. That's what bugs me.

Grombar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Life-style is an all-encompassing term via the likes of Merriam-Webster and media like it.

On top of that, my opinionated interpretation of the term colors you as a likely candidate.

I then have hundreds of lifestyles because I do hundreds of things.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Grombar wrote: »
    The cynicism. That's what bugs me.

Yes. Absolutely.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Man, that's ALOT of cons to go to Incenjucar.

shryke on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond, do you even play video games? I mean, that would be pretty childish, I think. And think about how much time you spend on a forum dedicated to a cartoon. Society would think that was pretty damn weird.

it is!

they do!

The people who wear referential T-shirts and go to cons (you know, the paying customers of Penny Arcade) would be better off letting go of their immature defiance, because the adult thing is to be ashamed of hobbies that you nonetheless pursue in secret?

nescientist on
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No one is 100% immersed in any subculture, but subcultures exist, and gaming culture just is one of them. There are in jokes and cultural touchstones not shared by the mainstream. Nonparticipants probably don't know the pros and cons of PC versus console gaming, they wouldn't get referential tshirts, they don't go to cons, they've probably never scheduled a raid with their WoW friends (if they've even played WoW at all), and lots more. That doesn't mean participants in gaming culture don't also participate in the mainstream. Levels of participation in subcultures are on a spectrum, and if it's not about you then it's not about you.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    shryke wrote: »

Man, that's ALOT of cons to go to Incenjucar.

It's not so bad since I can walk to two convention centers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010

it is!

they do!

The people who wear referential T-shirts and go to cons (you know, the paying customers of Penny Arcade) would be better off letting go of their immature defiance, because the adult thing is to be ashamed of hobbies that you nonetheless pursue in secret?

pretty much

i mean you keep your pig-fucking on the DL

but it's still beautiful to you

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So a stranger with sweaty armpits walks up to you and the foul stink offends your nostrils. It's repugnant. You see the pale yellow sweat stains under the sleeves and you want to move away from this guy but Libby McLiberalson jumps out of the shadows and yells at you about how we can't judge people by societal norms. This stinky fellow's lifestyle isn't harming anyone and he hasn't said anything offensive to make me not like him. Libby accuses you of demonstrating prejudice against smells. "You are judging a person before you know them! Sure, he could put on deodorant and change shirts. Sure, he could take off the cat ears while in public. But why should he change just to please you?" The armpit guy then proceeds to raise his arm, letting the air circulate, and your eyes begin to water.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    If you wish to violently thrust the stranger away from you, pulling your weapon and then attacking this foe, turn to page 89.

If you wish to embrace the foul-smelling fiend, turn to page 358.

If you wish to cast a spell, turn to page 214.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Smell is different I think, it tends to be invasive.

Again, this arguement seems to be stemming towards a "You support one thing so you must support the most OBSCURE AND OUTRAGEOUS examples as well." trend.

This goes for both sides.

Sipex on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

it is!

they do!

pretty much

Let's say, hypothetically, that I fucked pigs on a regular basis, in secret and in shame. I wouldn't tell my friends and neighbors about this, of course, but if this were an important aspect of my life perhaps I would reach out for social interaction in another venue, such as the internet. If I were truly dedicated to my pigfucking community, I might even volunteer my time to assist with the harrowing task of moderating a forum full of pigfuckers.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

it is!

they do!

pretty much

Let's say, hypothetically, that I fucked pigs on a regular basis, in secret and in shame. I wouldn't tell my friends and neighbors about this, of course, but if this were an important aspect of my life perhaps I would reach out for social interaction in another venue, such as the internet. If I were truly dedicated to my pigfucking community, I might even volunteer my time to assist with the harrowing task of moderating a forum full of pigfuckers.

yes

exactly

now we are seeing eye to eye here

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, in reality, gamers are all pigfuckers?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, in reality, gamers are all pigfuckers?

i am not saying there is 100% crossover

but there may or may not be a correlation

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can we at least use something that makes sense here? Pigfucking really just opens the door for "But fucking pigs is illegal!" etc.

Say...BDSM? That's legal yet you wouldn't wear a T-shirt to advertise it.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Can we at least use something that makes sense here? Pigfucking really just opens the door for "But fucking pigs is illegal!" etc.

you might not.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

you might not.

A few years ago I saw a guy driving a little old - but very well restored - VW bug with a license plate that read "I <3 BDSM." I shit you not.

But I guess that's pretty fucking tame by San Francisco standards.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

you might not.

A few years ago I saw a guy driving a little old - but very well restored - VW bug with a license plate that read "I <3 BDSM." I shit you not.

My university had a non-sactioned BDSM club. It was weird.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010

you might not.

:lol:

What else could BDSM stand for that would be appealing to the elderly?

"I <3 Bonanza, Dick van Dyke, Superman, and My Three Sons."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd support anybody who did.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Point.

I think it's okay to advertise either, you're going to get a lot more anymosity towards the BDSM I think, at least on an equal level (dressing in an I <3 BDSM T-shirt vs a gaming T-shirt). That's okay. You're allowed to wear that you just have to be okay with the fact that people are judging you.

This doesn't give those judging you a free pass, it still makes them dicks (in my eyes) but they're allowed to think what they like as long as they don't bitch to me about it after.

Sipex on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh, clearly somebody doesn't go to Pride.

I <3 BSDM would be among the tamer sights for the weekend.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I actually did, that was interesting.

There were women wearing painted on bras. As in, there wasn't really a bra there.

So yeah, an I <3 BDSM t-shirt would be pretty tame there.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think the level of flak will be entirely dependent upon how hot the wearer of said shirt is.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »

One of my favorite things to do, whenever possible, is to "accidentally" take out-of-towners to Folsom Street during the fair.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    So a stranger with sweaty armpits walks up to you and the foul stink offends your nostrils. It's repugnant. You see the pale yellow sweat stains under the sleeves and you want to move away from this guy but Libby McLiberalson jumps out of the shadows and yells at you about how we can't judge people by societal norms. This stinky fellow's lifestyle isn't harming anyone and he hasn't said anything offensive to make me not like him. Libby accuses you of demonstrating prejudice against smells. "You are judging a person before you know them! Sure, he could put on deodorant and change shirts. Sure, he could take off the cat ears while in public. But why should he change just to please you?" The armpit guy then proceeds to raise his arm, letting the air circulate, and your eyes begin to water.

I am pretty damn far from being considered liberal and I'd pretend I don't notice this guy stinks and when it's convenient move away from him (since it physically makes me uncomfortable).

I actually see this happen all the time, get on a subway car with a homeless man sleeping in it. They are probably the worst smelling people in the world, forget your yellow armpit stains example this is another league. Everyone will just pretend they don't even notice this guy and change cars.

Also how is this remotely comprable to the cat ears, do the cat ears illicit a physical response in you? Is it like a red flag to a bull somehow?

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »

One of my favorite things to do, whenever possible, is to "accidentally" take out-of-towners to Folsom Street during the fair.

What did the FSF attendees do to piss you off?

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Also how is this remotely comprable to the cat ears, do the cat ears illicit a physical response in you? Is it like a red flag to a bull somehow?

I've never seen anyone wearing cat ears over the age of ten so I'm going to have to use some imagination here. They're unusual so they attract my attention. I'm then weirded out for half a minute but then my nerves settle and I ignore the oddness.

Horrifying, it ain't.

emnmnme on