As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Treasure Hunt

SvKSvK Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Purely for your entertainment, I've put together a series of quests that will last all weekend long. Follow clues, solve riddles, run errands for strangers, all for fun and fabulous prizes of negligible cash value. The hunt will take you throughout the convention center, around the surrounding streets, into the Penny-Arcade archives, and even onto the Internet!

HOW DO I PLAY?
Each day I will post a clue here in this thread. Solve riddles and follow clues to more riddles and clues until you reach the quest that ends each day's hunt. When you complete the quest, you get a certificate of completion, which is also the first clue for the next day. Don't worry if you can't complete a quest, or if you can only attend for one day. The clue for the next day will also be posted in this thread. You have all day to finish each line of clues, so you can do this in between collecting t-shirts or playing unreleased video games or all the other cool stuff you do at PAX.

WHAT DO I NEED?
* a camera (even a DSi will do)
* a way to take notes (or a really good memory for clues)
* access to the internet (some clues are online)
Most cell phones fulfill all these requirements

HOW DO I WIN?
If you have a one-day pass, you win by finishing that day's quest. You get a certificate and wonderful memories.

The overall "winner" of the treasure hunt is the first person to complete the whole quest chain, which means turning in the final quest on Sunday and having certificates from Friday and Saturday. "Winner" is in quotes because, really, we're all winners. Sure, that one guy gets a little trophy, but trophies can be bought in thrift shops. Money can't buy the thrill of discovery, the satisfaction of deciphering a riddle, or all the time you'll spend tracking down these clues. I do hope to take a celebratory photo of each person who completes the whole quest chain, so you can be e-famous too.

FRIDAY'S CLUE

You must travel to Gameworks to fill in the blanks in this URL.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/???????/clue.jpg

??? = the only person who plays Metal Slug 5

???? = the third copyright date on Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition

SvK on

• Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I are intrigued...
    I might be into this. My phone doesn't get internet, but I have an iPod that gets wifi, so that might work.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good, I remember some people in year's past were used (mainly cosplays) as part of hunts, so when I have to go look for the Mario with the group of TF2 players, tetris blocks, and a companion cube, I know I'm home.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    People who are easy to describe and easy to spot are ideal, and cosplayers fit that description. "Alyx Vance" is a much better clue than "White guy, about 5'10, goatee, glasses, black shirt with snappy saying"

SvK on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think Fwacky should be on dat list; now who can't spot Moe? He should be a cosplay character himself!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I visited the convention center to confirm some locations for clues. Hiding things in plain sight is eay in that building. I am gathering accomplices and assembling clues (and the trophy!) Get ready to search in less than 60 hours!

SvK on
  • Options
    MerlinzeroMerlinzero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm down for this :)

Merlinzero on
  • Options
    linkinwisdomlinkinwisdom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    color me excited

linkinwisdom on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Friday's Clue

You must travel to Gameworks to fill in the blanks in this URL.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x424/???????/clue.jpg

??? = the only person who plays Metal Slug 5

???? = the third copyright date on Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition

SvK on
  • Options
    MobiusDoppelgangerMobiusDoppelganger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The image is no longer avail, am I too late?

MobiusDoppelganger on
This discussion has been closed.